NEW TRAILER!!!!!

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
After seeing the trailer in HD, I think I can glean the basic thrust of the combat system.

Contrary to some of the initial reactions, I don't think it's an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy XV. Rather, it looks more like the ATB system from Crisis Core or Chrono Trigger.

There are clearly gauges for ATB, HP, MP, and Limit. There appears to be no real time jumping, dodging, or blocking; Defend is on the command menu.

At this time, I can't tell if you can freely roam around the battle-field with the left analog like in CC, or if you remain stationary and only move when selecting commands like in CT or FFXIII.

In either case, I expect that you select commands with the d-pad, control the camera with the right stick, and perhaps cycle through enemy targets and switch party members with the shoulder buttons.

It appears that the ATB gauge constantly drains, and fills when you deal damage using the Fight command, which I'm guessing can be selected repeatedly to execute combos, like in KH, CC, and Type-0.

It looks like when the gauge maxes out, it turns red. In the footage, every time the gauge is red they perform a small, Limit Break-style attack, which I (perhaps incorrectly) assume to be a combo finisher.

Presumably, when the gauge turns red that basically means it's on cooldown; your "turn" ends and you have to wait for it to drain. When in a party, I expect that it's at this point that you swap to another character.

Though they weren't shown in this footage, I expect that selecting other commands probably ends your "turn" in the same way as executing a full Fight combo with finisher.

In short, I believe this is an ATB system where instead of waiting for your gauge to fill up, you fill it up by performing basic combo attacks. When it's full, you execute your command -- a combo finisher, a spell, or an item, and then end your "turn."

The fact that the gauge constantly drains should allow you to strategically attack and defend while "waiting" to min/max damage output while waiting for the perfect time to execute a specific command and end your turn.

If that's the case, I imagine that your party members will have AI options, so that they're not just waiting for you to act. They may even just perform basic attacks passively when not selected.

This would essentially end the feeling that battles are "waiting, then jumping forward and attacking," without necessarily changing the basic flow of combat too much.

Well, I think that's how it works, anyway. Time will tell.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Stupid fucking phone!

Game is up.

NEW GAME
Continue
SPECIAL MOVIE
ADDITIONAL CREDITS

Don't like this... X and O have been swapped, L3 Plays the game at 3x speed and you can refuse encounters and boost stats.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
YES

YES BARRET'S DEAL WITH IT SHADES

YES WEDGE IS ACTUALLY FAT AND NOT SOME SORT OF KEN DOLL MAKEOVER MANNEQUIN

BIGGS LOOKS LIKE NORMAN REEDUS A BIT KIND OF

MIDGAR LOOKS LIKE A NICE PEACHY ARSE

IM A BIT DRUNK

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
It's taken me nearly an hour to download and at just over 4GB, this shouldn't be the case as I've downloaded a 32GB game in about half the time. Just have less than 10 minutes to go and then we'll be seeing what this port is like. :awesome:

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
the button switching and the 'easy mode' is ruining it for me a little. and because there is now trophies I'm gonna have to use my two least favorite characters. press r3 and get insta limit breaks and full heal... =/

Metal Heart

quiet like a fight
"Sunglasses, ain't no sun. It's cloudy. But I'm out here, with my gloves and my gunarm. One man. One Lord. One faith. One baptism." - Barret Wallace

The trailer is great tho! xD

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It seems like there will be added/overhauled Action-RPG elements to the battle gameplay but with character switching in order to sorta simulate the old turn-based combat of the original?

Anyways the trailer and gameplay looks amazing. And I'm pretty sure that Barrett's English voice actor in it is still Beau Billingslea.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
You know what could be fun, editing together a trailer using, as best as possible, the equivalent scenes out of the original game.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
*imitating Mako Mankanshoku* WHOA MY GOD!!! THAT TRAILER IS SUPER-AMAZING LOOKING!!!

*Ahem* I was like "Wow this is so cool!!" to myself while watching. I squeed xD. Is it just me or did they de-feminize Cloud's face a bit? If so, I'm glad, his eyes were a tad too big in the Compilation :P. I LOVE EVERYTHING I SAW SO FAR!!

*imitates Mankanshoku again* I WANNA PLAY THIS GAME! No really I WANNA PLAY THIS GAME SO BAD!! We can sit down and eat cheese and play the PS4 whenever we want!

[WANT THIS SO BAD!!]

~ Raz

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
By the way, I've seen people mentioning the music and while I agree it sounds glorious, it's still "just" Bombing Mission from Distant Worlds. So it shouldn't be the final version for the PS4 game.

Just saying! :)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
By the way, I've seen people mentioning the music and while I agree it sounds glorious, it's still "just" Bombing Mission from Distant Worlds. So it shouldn't be the final version for the PS4 game.

Just saying!

^ Yeah, it says it's from DW at the end of the trailer.

(Also, pet peeve: When people say 'remastered' music. Remastering in music means something different /smartass :awesome: )

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

The video ain't loading for me. :(

I knew that was his voice, he definitely sounds the same. I think I'm in the minority here when I say I like his voice for Cloud. :awesome:

I like the ideas about the battle system; it doesn't look like you go into a separate 'screen' for the battle, judging by how far away some of the enemies are and how Cloud rushes towards them. I'm thinking enemies appear right on the map like in XII (and if so, YES).

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I knew that was his voice, he definitely sounds the same. I think I'm in the minority here when I say I like his voice for Cloud. :awesome:

^ THIS. THIS SO EFFIN MUCH!! I love Burton's voice for Cloud as well! The only time it really sounded off to me was in Dissidia for some reason (likely voice direction). BUT, I love Steve Burton as Cloud and would be sad panda if they changed it (though I would likely give a new person a chance, regardless.) Can't wait to hear how he sounds in more of the game!!

~ Raz

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I like Steve Burton as Cloud too. But it's hard to deny he can be hit and miss. He's woeful in the first Dissidia game, though apparently a lot of that had to do with direction.

I really hope if they bring Paul Eiding back as Hojo they don't have him do that ultra high pitched, nasally voice. =/

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I don't wanna be a spoil sport to (Tennyo?) but I don't think that's Aerith's eye in the trailer. I think that's the same kid from the first trailer. See how they kinda splice other stuff in, the Edge/Train sign, helicopter, flower, etc?

Seen here

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I agree that it should have been Legend. :monster:

Don't trust a German with english :wacky:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You know, they should've dropped an "Attack while it's tail is up!" in that trailer, :monster:

Top Bottom