New year, New LTD thread. (Round 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
While I agree with you on the width being ~3 Zweihanders and the length, I imagine the weight of the BS really comes with how thick it is. Especially since it only has a single edge.

That could be the case, though I don't recall it being especially thick.

I guess we finally know what Cloud's sunglasses are made of. :monster:

Indeed. He should have sprung for the +1 enhancement, though, then they wouldn't have broken.

Agreed, it's longer than it should be, though they may have done it that way to give themselves the necessary leverage to hold the thing steady.

Possibly, but I think they oversized the thing significantly. Which is not to say Buster is at all a practical sword, but they made an even less practical version, which isn't a very good baseline.

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

She hasn't even tried to make the cake yet, though.
Unless you're saying you have.
Who was it, Aki? Who did you do science on and where can I get a portal device and longfall boots?

Whoah.

I... I don't even have anything relevant to say on topic. Just...

Whoah.

Fucking videogame physics, how do they work?

^ IKR?!? O.O

~ Raz

Loads and Loads of Unobtanium.
That's why the people in Avatar were looking for it. They needed to power their video games.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
She hasn't even tried to make the cake yet, though.
Unless you're saying you have.
Who was it, Aki? Who did you do science on and where can I get a portal device and longfall boots?
"Her name was Caroline. Remember that."

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
As for the size of materia, I assume -- given that it forms in nature -- it can come out any number of sizes, but is usually somewhere from ping pong ball- to tennis ball-sized.
Oh, this reminded me:

Sephiroth said:
Materia. When you condense Mako energy, materia is produced."
"It's very rare to be able to see materia in its natural state."
The way Sephiroth speaks of it, I thought that materia has to be artificially produced. Or artificially crystallized, or whatever. I remember reading that natural crystallization takes a long ass time, like hundreds of years. I don't remember where, so someone please confirm or correct me, but I'm fairly sure I'm not making this up.

This would explain the size/color differences then, especially the distinctive look of BM and WM from standard, mass-produced materia. Y/N?

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Oh, this reminded me:

The way Sephiroth speaks of it, I thought that materia has to be artificially produced. Or artificially crystallized, or whatever. I remember reading that natural crystallization takes a long ass time, like hundreds of years. I don't remember where, so someone please confirm or correct me, but I'm fairly sure I'm not making this up.

This would explain the size/color differences then, especially the distinctive look of BM and WM from standard, mass-produced materia. Y/N?

ffviinaturalmateria.jpg

Seeing as the natural materia was big, shapeless, and average colored, I don't think natural is the common denominator. And since materia doesn't seem to grow like bulbs on xmas trees, it's entirely possible that someone in the distant past took and refined the black and white materia into the shapes and sizes they have now. As far as their color goes... well, there's both artificial and natural green materia, so I think the color of the BM/WM has to do with their unique powers rather than how they were created.

And, as far as size goes... maybe it's just the perspective of the angle of the youtube videos and the images scattered around, but the black materia in dissidia looks bigger than it did in ff7. A lot bigger. Maybe someone can get a really good closeup shot of the black materia right over Seph's hand? It seems much larger than an orange to me.

I don't know. It's possible that the sizes of the WM/BM were changed, and symbolically, if Sephiroth is bumming around with the BM, it makes sense for Cloud to have the white. But then, on the other hand, isn't the WM normally supposed to be... white? Unless it's permanently stuck on green from answering Aerith's prayer, which would be dumb. And, does all this Dissidia shit happen before or after the prayer, or is time meaningless in this context?

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Eh, the White Materia was pretty much always green.

The script says: "If our wish reaches the planet, the White Materia will begin to glow a pale green." I don't know, the way that's phrased, it doesn't sound like it was normally green. We just don't see it at any other point.

The "white" refers to the type of magic it summons. :moar:

Is that out of one of them fancy Ultimania majiggers? Otherwise it makes no sense.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Actually you can see it in Aerith's hair when she's all dolled up for the stint at Corneo's mansion, and it's green.

__1.jpg

Last edited:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Actually you can see it in Aerith's hair when she's all dolled up for the stint at Corneo's mansion, and its green.

__1.jpg

Not to be an argumentative ass :awesome: but are you sure that's it? Wouldn't you be able to see that big ass bright thing at every other point under her braid? And why would it only show at that one scene?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I figured she made it more obvious when she was dressed up. But fine, if you're gonna be that difficult (:awesome:) howabout Square's official jewelry which has it as green?

holy_necklace.jpg

Tir McDohl

rune bearer
AKA
Yula
I don't know what else that thing would be. But it's kinda dumb that she'd put it on such obvious display if she makes a point of keeping it hidden the rest of the time.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Maybe each one is specially cast after praying to the planet? LOL.

I guess I can buy that (no pun intended), although I am loathe to settle based solely on merchandise when there's good argufying to be had.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
Isn't Holy referred to as 'ultimate white magic' at some point? It's materia at Corneo's. Her pink ribbon is lower so it's not concealing it. The fucking thing is green people, like every other spell based materia. The only contention was how broad and visible were the white stripes on it. So, no real good argufying to be had.

Also, Null brought up a good point with when Dissidia interrupts canon. Based on Aerith's ghost-like images in adverts, one can assume it's after she bites it, but there's nothing official on it so far as I know.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Okay seriously, I KNOW I brought it up but how the hell did we talk about this for 11 and a half pages? :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom