Wait wait kojima and del toro

What

Excellent cinematic game person
+
Fantastic film maker (esp with horror)
+
Fan favourite survivalist from The Walking Dead
=

...Hopefully awesomeness? I mean, all the elements are there.

X :neo:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I hope they give Del Toro free reign to make the monster designs and Kojima the stealth mechanics, with Norman Reedus it will make the game alot more exciting. Hrrrnnggg, this is a win despite the loss of tomb raider.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
It's been yonks since I last played a Silent Hill game, this looks like it could be pretty tasty...and hopefully pants shittingly scary :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
The last one I really enjoyed was SH3 - although it didn't really scare me. The Room had its moments, but the other stuff just wasn't that good for me.

Hoping this will be good, putting it into 1st person helps - Amnesia was pantcrapping and a good chunk of that was down to it being 1st person - less disconnect between you and the game world.

TBH I think Silent Hill started getting old when they kept trying to explain everything. It's much scarier when you don't know what the hell is going on. The later SHs it sort of got routine: 'normal' area 'rusty/scary' area. rinse. repeat.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Also, Fox Engine = the perfect engine, since its focus is on as realistic a lighting model as possible as opposed to photorealistic objects or staggering resolution textures

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
@Ghost, I found out it stands for Playable Teaser :monster:

I managed to just about (with my fucking awful internet) watch more extensive footage of people playing this on twitch. If that demo is anything to go by there won't be a dry arse in the house (if you'll excuse the expression)

I probably won't be able to play it for another 5 years though :sadpanda:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I'm reeeal skeptical on this one. I have a lot of faith in del toro and kojima but... i wasn't really impressed with the teaser. However it's *just* a teaser so honestly I think it's mostly the whole norman reedus thing... like really? i wish they had designed their own character /:. That with the title "Silent Hill (s)" makes it seem kinda lame?

I haven't lost complete tho i really do have faith in those two i think i can get over these minor things if the game is fucking awesome which i'm really hoping it will be.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Who's directing this though?

I'd imagine Del Toro and Kojima just produce what with Del Toro not having any game directorial experience and Kojima being busy with MGSV.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
That talking bag of blood(?) Jesus.... but then I just pretended that it was the Sorting Hat and it wasn't so bad.

The dying fetus thing is pretty horrible, straight out of Eraserhead that.

Scary vibraty ghost woman was sort of the least scary thing for me, because that just seems to be the done thing in SH games - vibrating weirdness (taken from Jacob's Ladder I think) ..... but then she attacked and EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's going to be like Amnesia, and the earlier SH games where you're like 'can't go on....must go on....can't go on' :lol:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Both Kojima & Del Toro are vastly overrated in their respective fields. This whole move reeks of desperation on Konami's part.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Both Kojima & Del Toro are vastly overrated in their respective fields. This whole move reeks of desperation on Konami's part.

2529990-9086092697-13962.png

Silent Hill as a series seems to have fallen into a pretty heavy sense of another drudge through a mist/rusted world swap, rinse & repeat, whatever (I don't know the last time I had any of my horror friends gushing about a Silent Hill game). If anything could do with a big push to make it something else that really gets to the core of making it feel like a pants-shittingly terrifying game again, giving it a "star" treatment like this seems to be a really good choice.

Additionally, while Kojima & Del Toro both have a very distinct style to all of their work, I'm not sure what about it you'd consider to be "overrated".

I can't speak much on Kojima, as I'm not someone who's played many of his games, but for a game that's going to focus around player deception/confusion, stealth mechanics, cinematic storytelling, and heavy use of lighting for gameplay - I think that there's a lot working in his favor in terms of knowing how to use those elements for a Silent Hill Game, and the P.T. demo seems to speak VERY strongly in favor of this.

When it comes to Del Toro, I'd be hard pressed to think of ANYONE more deeply involved in the world building and creature design for their works -- especially those with an element of horror. Not only that, he does a lot of storytelling just through design-specific elements and has a lot of detail put into the thought process that follows behind everything he does. This is something that I have a huge amount of respect for because he does it so well (in addition to being really passionate about his work in general).

...and everybody loves Normal Reedus. :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
:lol: I had no idea who Reedus was, I remember seeing the end and thought - they've made that character look a bit weird there, kinda funny looking...more than most people even. :monster:

But anyway, I don't care about all that shit - whoever is involved. Bottom line was I found the demo scary and I wasn't even playing it, so I have high hopes for this one.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Scary vibraty ghost woman was sort of the least scary thing for me,

Yeah I had the exact same reaction. At first I was like "eh, okay that's pretty unnerving" and then I was like "WAITHEFFFFFFUCK"

Here's a full playthrough of the game, to counter some of this anti-hype going on in the thread

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Someone messed with the color levels of a screengrab of the game. Its pretty scary looking lol

KrhdC3a.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
God damn. The lighting in that game engine. Seriously.

Also, now that we've got two No Commentary playthroughs in the thread - here're a couple playthroughs of the first 10 mins with reactions of the people doing the playthrough, because it made me feel a tiny bit better about myself. (I'm spoiler tagging, just 'cause the title cards is something it's better to see after you've watched it before).

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Fox Engine confirmed best engine

Top Bottom