PlayStation 4

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah the reselling angle is disappointing but what I like about these current-gen emulations is that they're getting the proper UI treatment (connectivity with PS4 community and sharing functions) and proper performance boosts.

Some of the early titles emulated (ie. the Star Wars games) are doing odd things with their framerates bumped to 60 FPS but I imagine issues like those are basically rare cases with games that tie their gameplay to framerate and sprite-based work being upscaled (stretched, really) to 1080p.

I think all these games need is a decent, low price for people to jump in, because as a money-gobbling games company head once said, "there are no bad games, only bad price points." :awesome:

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
The PS4 has sold 35.9 million units as of 3rd January.

Microsoft have decided that they will no longer release details on how many units they've sold, as "they no longer wish to use it as a measure of success". Bet you would if you were beating Sony XD. Last I checked they were half the numbers of the PS4.

Yeah, the numbers are everything till your numbers aren't on top. Does anyone not see right through that bullshit?

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Any losing party upon direct competition will do the same from any generation, eg. at one point Sony bundled sales numbers for "the PlayStation family" for the last generation. So it's all PR-speak in the end :monster:

Lex

Administrator
You can always count on Satsusoft explorer to drop in when the wind is a little too pro-Sony :monster:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Regardless of all you PS4 haters, I have a legit set of reasons for getting a PS4:

---Gundam Breaker 3 (coming March 3rd!!)
---Batman Arkham Knight
---Final Fantasy VII Remake
---Final Fantasy XV
---DOOM (Doom 4 basically)
---Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
---BlazBlue: Central Fiction
---Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
---Mortal Kombat X

Those are my "reasons", but I have a problem...

I want to figure out a way to set up my console so that I can have a PS2, PS3, and PS4 all hooked up to a single monitor with a single HDMI port.

Can anyone give me advice on video splitters/adapters?

Lex

Administrator
Use composite (YPbPr) cables for the PS3 and YRW/Scart for the PS2, problem solved :monster:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
You're gonna have to explain all these to me, because the only thing my monitor hooks up to in the back is a single HDMI cable port.

Also where would I buy this stuff?

Lex

Administrator
Amazon for the older one for the PS2, Amazon or a game shop for the composite cable. If you're running from a TV, this is the cable you need for the PS2:

Playstation-composite-cables.jpg

And this is the one you need for the PS3:

Ps3-component-cables.jpg

That composite cable for PS3 also works with PS2 (the YPbPr component cable (with 5 prongs) is HD, the PS2 one isn't) . This obviously requires that you have these ports on your TV. The three prong PS2 port is not in the back of my TV, but the side for some reason.

If you're running from a PC monitor and legit only have one HDMI port in the back of it, you'll need converters and splitters as well as cables.

So for PS2, 3 and 4, you'll need a 3 or 4-way HDMI splitter, an aftermarket PS2-HDMI converter (and a compatible cable for the PS2 that attaches to it), and HDMI cables for the PS3 and PS4 (which I assume you own). The actual switching between them is done on the device itself. Something like this:

61LYNlWVnQL._SL1200_.jpg

My TV thankfully has a shitload of ports, so I actually have cables for every console I own connected to it even though the consoles themselves are sitting on shelves not plugged in at the moment (I recently redecorated and haven't had to use anything that's not my PS4 or PC since then). So I've got composite cables for the PS2, component for PS3, HDMI for the PC and PS4, Scart for a PSOne and the very old style RF-cable (for analogue TV antennae - these have been discontinued in the UK for a long time now) for a Dreamcast. All of these are plugged in to the TV so that when I want to play a console it's just a matter of turning it on and switching the channel.

One other thing I'll say is that if you're going to plug all the consoles in at the same time, get a surge-protected bar socket (bar sockets are also known as extension leads). In the UK they look like this:

71clGpD32dL._SL1500_.jpg

This will save your devices from fusing (although tbh I'm not sure how non-UK electronics work in that respect, there's no actual protection for grounding in your two-prong plugs and everything is in danger of exploding at any moment).

Last edited:

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
I want to figure out a way to set up my console so that I can have a PS2, PS3, and PS4 all hooked up to a single monitor with a single HDMI port.

Can anyone give me advice on video splitters/adapters?

They do make a PS2 to HDMI adapter. I've never used such a device, since my TVs have composite/component inputs, so I can't offer a review. Combine that with an HDMI switch, and I'd imagine you'd be fine, since both PS3 and PS4 already do HDMI output.

The switch I use is just a cheap as hell generic one... it's been working fine for me for years.

Last edited:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Okay, let me see if I can shed some light on my current setup:

As of right now my Monitor has something like 3 things connected to it:

1. Speakers (so anything that is shown through the monitor plays sound through the speakers, namely anything through the HDMI port).
2. VGA cable port (this is for my PC, I actually have a seperate set of speakers hooked up to my PC for PC-related sounds... for the time being ignore this VGA port).
3. HDMI Port... this is what my PS3 is currently hooked up to. SOMEHOW whatever is playing through my PS3 is transmitting sound in to the monitor and the monitor sends that sound to the speakers.

Here's my OLDER setup (PS2 gen):

1. Monster Cables, Red/White/Yellow with Yellow being Composite. The cables I own not only let me hook up PS2 but also a Gamecube, the sound was then sent via 2 cables in to a set of "female adapters" that in turn merged into a single connection in to my OLD MONITOR's speaker system... basically 2 cables in to 1 cable for sound. Composite went straight in to the old monitor.
2. Any power cords I have (PS2/PS3/etc) are then put in to a Surge Power Strip.

Right now my NEW monitor (22 inch ASUS) has only the single sound port for speakers, so the only way to hook everything up would be via an HDMI cable, so basically I would need:

1 PS2 HDMI Cable (and adapter) and some way to feed the audio in to the adapter.
1 PS3 HDMI Cable (I already have one)
1 PS4 HDMI Cable

Also, I have an HDMI adapter for my PSP that I'd like to use for Dissidia every once in a while, so PREFERABLY, I'd like to find a 4-way HDMI setup with 3 additional HDMI cables.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
I use an HDMI switch, 4 ports on it, 50$ at radio shack. For the ps2 you need an HDMI step-up converter, they can be a little hit and miss. Spend the time (and money) to find one that does actually upscale, as not all of them will. They will range in price from 30$ to 100$. So it is not hard to do what you want to do, it is however rather expensive.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
You can always count on Satsusoft explorer to drop in when the wind is a little too pro-Sony :monster:

Kek

I bought into the PSP as well and bought a shit-ton of stuff for it so don't look at me :monster:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Amazon for the older one for the PS2, Amazon or a game shop for the composite cable. If you're running from a TV, this is the cable you need for the PS2:

Playstation-composite-cables.jpg

And this is the one you need for the PS3:

Ps3-component-cables.jpg

That composite cable for PS3 also works with PS2 (the YPbPr component cable (with 5 prongs) is HD, the PS2 one isn't) . This obviously requires that you have these ports on your TV. The three prong PS2 port is not in the back of my TV, but the side for some reason.

If you're running from a PC monitor and legit only have one HDMI port in the back of it, you'll need converters and splitters as well as cables.

So for PS2, 3 and 4, you'll need a 3 or 4-way HDMI splitter, an aftermarket PS2-HDMI converter (and a compatible cable for the PS2 that attaches to it), and HDMI cables for the PS3 and PS4 (which I assume you own). The actual switching between them is done on the device itself. Something like this:

61LYNlWVnQL._SL1200_.jpg

My TV thankfully has a shitload of ports, so I actually have cables for every console I own connected to it even though the consoles themselves are sitting on shelves not plugged in at the moment (I recently redecorated and haven't had to use anything that's not my PS4 or PC since then). So I've got composite cables for the PS2, component for PS3, HDMI for the PC and PS4, Scart for a PSOne and the very old style RF-cable (for analogue TV antennae - these have been discontinued in the UK for a long time now) for a Dreamcast. All of these are plugged in to the TV so that when I want to play a console it's just a matter of turning it on and switching the channel.

One other thing I'll say is that if you're going to plug all the consoles in at the same time, get a surge-protected bar socket (bar sockets are also known as extension leads). In the UK they look like this:

71clGpD32dL._SL1500_.jpg

This will save your devices from fusing (although tbh I'm not sure how non-UK electronics work in that respect, there's no actual protection for grounding in your two-prong plugs and everything is in danger of exploding at any moment).

Man all that looks like an electrical fire waiting to happen.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Seems like surge protectors should just be built into outlets at this point, but then again, unless you are in a newly constructed building that wouldn't help much.

OT: Anyone have any recommendations for a third-party controller for the PS4? I only got the one the system came with, and would like another. I don't have 65$ for the official Sony one, so was hope a decent (and cheap) third-party option exists.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Official PlayStation 4 controllers seem to be scarce on third-party options due to some sort of licensing issues from Sony's official position (Pete Hines from Bethesda came out and said at some point that they had problems getting a Fallout 4-branded DS4).

The only one I've known of was a controller pad by Hori that was announced during E3 which seemed to be Japan-exclusive. That said, I think Hori makes some great products (although I'm biased towards their fight pad designs) so if you want a quality third-party peripheral you might want to poke around there.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Okay, so here's an update on my situation:

Bought an 4-way HDMI Switchbox, which now feeds in to my monitor.

But now I need some kind of Component/Composite Upscaler box/adapter (for PS2 / PSP).

The most expensive thing I can imagine is a Framemeister, but I want something cheaper that won't cost the same as a PS4.

Like I said, the only thing that works is an HDMI adapter of some kind, "female", obviously.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
The only one I've known of was a controller pad by Hori that was announced during E3 which seemed to be Japan-exclusive. That said, I think Hori makes some great products (although I'm biased towards their fight pad designs) so if you want a quality third-party peripheral you might want to poke around there.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing with Hori. On the one hand I have used some of there products and they are great. On the other many of the items they have made (and want) I will never get my hands on, like that controller they made for the Gamecube GBA adapter.

Lex

Administrator
The official Playstation middle east twitter just posted this:

CaHKlOnWQAAB3wN.jpg

"Most Wanted: Where are you Crash?"

And Naught Dog also changed their PSN Profile pic to Crash Bandicoot. Activision supposedly owns the IP but haven't done anything with it for years. I wonder if something's on the horizon?

Top Bottom