PlayStation 4

Tried to join the community multiple times (including accepting requests), and it just won't let me in. Whenever I think it is, it backs me out to the home screen and I'm not in it. So... I dunno. Whatever..

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'll send you another invite when I get home. It's been rather buggy so far. Kimble kept getting invites even after he joined.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Awkward, as I'm relatively sure I sent you both invites. :closedmonster:

I'm sure Kimble was in at one point as well, but I get the feeling he was trollin'. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I received invites, they just don't work properly. :monster:

I accepted them about twenty times now and it's just buggy everytime.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I saw that news yesterday and I'm very happy about it. I already have a PS2 and PS3 sitting underneath my TV, so backwards compatibility on the PS4 means I'll finally be able to move the PS2 out when I get a PS4.

#stillplaysps2games

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I doubt they'll allow you to just slot in your existing PS2 games though, because they're greedy bastards like that and want you to pay multiple times for the same game.

I probably would've had a PS4 already if it would just play older generation games.

Also PC plays all the older generation games, even console games, :monster:

Lex

Administrator
If they implement a system like the XB1 whereby putting the disc in your machine acts as a kind of "authenticator" for downloading the title that wouldn't be a problem.

They'd be silly not to do this, it'd give them an edge on the whole backwards compatibility thing.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
they should do the xbox disc authentication thing and make it region-free

i don't have this stack of non-british games sitting here to not be playing them on my british ps4

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I doubt they'd trust the insert-disk authentication thing, that was the primary attempted PC anti-piracy measure (known as Securom) for aeons and it was always trivially easy to circumvent for end-users, once the haxors did their work (the no-CD cracks).

IDK if anti-piracy is still an active feature of modern games TBF, a lot of games are just always-online things nowadays where even if there are people that can be arsed enough to try and replace that server, there's still a sense of missing out if you play on the illegal / private servers. Steam definitely helped a lot, I think.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
there was a kind of disc-authentication thing for the psp, where you used a special app to register a game to your account using the disc/umd and then you could get a discount on the download version of the same game (the vita was recently released and they wanted to get people interested by letting them have their old games on the new console)

but that programme was only run in japan i think and i'm not sure how successful it was

Lex

Administrator
I doubt they'd trust the insert-disk authentication thing, that was the primary attempted PC anti-piracy measure (known as Securom) for aeons and it was always trivially easy to circumvent for end-users, once the haxors did their work (the no-CD cracks).

IDK if anti-piracy is still an active feature of modern games TBF, a lot of games are just always-online things nowadays where even if there are people that can be arsed enough to try and replace that server, there's still a sense of missing out if you play on the illegal / private servers. Steam definitely helped a lot, I think.

Yeah but it's not a case of having the game in to be able to play it, it's just putting it in the machine to give you a code to let you download it, then it's on the system and it's yours.

Also you wouldn't be able to install no-CD cracks on the PS4 anyway XD

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Also you wouldn't be able to install no-CD cracks on the PS4 anyway XD

Well you should, :(. Actually IIRC anti-piracy measures on the PS3 / 360 haven't been properly broken yet, which is like wow, amaze.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I've seen PS3/360 .iso files floating around on the torrents, though. Huh.

Also PC plays all the older generation games, even console games, :monster:

Emulators like PCSX2 have come a long way but it's still not all that accessible to most people (especially given how much of a CPU hog those things can be), and seeing Digital Foundry's article on Sony's work has me pretty impressed!
It's great to see those games getting 60FPS treatments. They become kinda like mini-remasters and I think it's something that all these companies should aim for, especially for titles with the 2-generation jump.

I'm so glad that companies are taking backwards compatibility more seriously. It's a great incentive for people still on the fence about upgrading (and I personally knew a lot of people still on the fence).

Given the new ESRB listings an' shit, I think Sony will try to resell it on their store, but it would be good to see them throw a bone to users by way of a firmware update to read PS2 discs. (I imagine given the performance treatment it would have to work like the Xbox One emulator, ie. a new digital download packaged in a PS2 emulator format)

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've seen PS3/360 .iso files floating around on the torrents, though. Huh.

Probably for emulators; just because you can't mod PS3's doesn't mean you can't (try to) emulate them, :monster:

Lex

Administrator
There are still some hacked PS3's floating around from the days when you could install Linux on the system, iirc there was a workaround in those in the old old old old fat PS3's in very specific models, but there aren't many of them around and newer games for sure don't work on them because they need updated software.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It was a great loss when they removed that feature, there were some datacenters / research projects being done using the multi-core devices.

Off course, in the end their processor design didn't turn out to be too popular, and 'regular' / Intel processors and on the other side low-power ARM CPU's became more and more powerful. GPGPU applications became more accessible too. Nowadays there's just no need to design a CPU specifically for a console anymoar.

Top Bottom