Pomingham Palace (KupoCon London 2018)

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
I'm getting so hyped for the trip holy carp \o/

Looking forward to meeting you all, even though I'm the new scrub and a lot of you barely even know me it's going to be great :lol:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
^It's definitely gonna be great :joy: Just barely over two months away for me now AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :reptar:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I'm getting so hyped for the trip holy carp \o/

Looking forward to meeting you all, even though I'm the new scrub and a lot of you barely even know me it's going to be great :lol:

Yeah but that was Crash last year and we've proper adopted her. <3

I REALISED AFTER DOING A DRY RUN OF AERIS' HAIR THAT EVEN WITH MY MAHOOSIVE QUANTITIES OF HAIR I STILL NEED TO BUY EXTRA HAIR. WTF.
Also if I don't order contact lenses tomorrow I'm going to struggle to get them in time for KupoCon. AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Yeah but that was Crash last year and we've proper adopted her. <3

Yeah! Cacti, I was just gonna say I didn't think anyone would even have the foggiest who I was last KC and then we all went on holiday together SO IT'S JUST GONNA BE AWESOME TO HAVE YOU THERE DUDE GET READY FOR ALL THE LOVE.

Also thank you all for adopting me ily <3

And good luck with all the extra hair and eyes, Mage!

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Well I'm not on such a tight time frame this year so I should be fine but I've got non-KC stuff to do like the dreaded tax return and personal shizzle, plus I should have the eye surgery shortly before KC so I'll probably look like a chubby Aeris who's just been punched in the eye. :monster:

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
I've already adopted two members from this community as my own so I have a good record already so far! I wouldn't mind being adopted myself :lol:

You need more hair? I'd offer you mine but I barely have any left myself :lol: Go get them contact lenses before it's too late \o/

Eye surgery? That sounds terrifying to me o.o I hope it goes well and that it makes you look like a sharp Aeris :thinking:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Lawls, Aeris' rope braids take a lot of hair, and there are three of them! My own hair is waist length now and yet there still isn't enough of it. :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Flint's totally unsolicited London FAQ

It's two months tomorrow until most of us arrive in London for Pomingham Palace, and since there are more of us coming from overseas this time, I thought I'd put a quick guide together for those of you not familiar with London.

The UK is not part of the Schengen passport-free travel area; only citizens of the Republic of Ireland may enter without a passport (and even they will usually need one to board a plane). Make sure you have a passport, make sure it won't have expired by your return travel date, and make sure you know where it is. In most cases you will need to provide your passport number to your airline in advance. I'm not up to speed on visa requirements but you should know whether you need one or not.

If you are a citizen of the UK or any of the countries on this list, you do not need to do anything to have healthcare coverage during your trip. If you are a citizen of an EU country (other than the UK), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, get yourself a free European Health Insurance Card here. This gives you the same free and unconditional access to the National Health System (NHS) as UK citizens. (It's because the card can take a few weeks to arrive that I thought I'd better write this guide now.) If none of the above applies to you, you will need private health insurance or risk paying 150% of the NHS tariff for any healthcare you receive.

You will probably not need much cash in the UK, since debit and credit cards are accepted pretty much everywhere, but there may be a few places where you need it, such as Amano Alley at KupoCon. The UK's currency is pounds sterling, the symbol is £ and the identifier is GBP. Whatever you do, don't buy pounds at the airport, because you'll be guaranteed the worst exchange rate possible there. I recommend either exchanging money via your bank at home or not exchanging at all and simply withdrawing cash from an ATM once you have arrived in the UK. The latter will charge you a small fee but it may still work out to be the best option. Be aware that airports in the UK often have ATMs that charge extra, so avoid those if possible. Whatever you do, if you're coming from outside the EU, I recommend letting your bank know in advance that you'll be travelling so they don't block your card when you arrive.

The event will be held in the Royal National Hotel, 38-51 Bedford Way, Bloomsbury, London. The nearest London Underground (Tube) station is Russell Square, on the Piccadilly Line, but it is also within walking distance of Euston (Northern and Victoria lines), Euston Square (Metropolitan, Circle and Hammersmith & City lines), Holborn (Central and Piccadilly lines) and a couple of others. Euston is the nearest National Rail and Overground station.

In order of convenience:

London Heathrow (LHR) is the only major airport with "London" in its name to actually be inside London. It has three Tube stations – one for Terminals 2 and 3, one for Terminal 4 and one for Terminal 5 (Terminal 1 is currently closed so you won't be arriving there). All three stations are on the Piccadilly Line, which is handy, because it goes directly to Russell Square without having to change. The journey costs £3.10 off-peak or £5.10 during peak hours on an Oyster card. Alternatively, it costs £6 cash, but you will definitely want an Oyster card – I've written more about them in their own section below. This is by far the cheapest way of getting to central London, but it's also the slowest, taking about one hour. There are quicker services called Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect, but I don't recommend them in this case, since they are many times more expensive and they will only take you to Paddington station; once you add on the time for your connecting journey they won't save you much time at all.

London Gatwick (LGW) is actually just outside London. If you look at the city on a map, you may notice a circular motorway called the M25 which goes all the way around it; that's roughly the boundary of the Greater London area. Gatwick is to the south of it. The Tube doesn't run there, but there are four train services that do. My recommendation, if you're going to Russell Square or thereabouts, is to take a Southern or Thameslink train to London Bridge, then take the Northern line Tube to Euston and walk from there. This should be the cheapest journey, at £8.10 plus the cost of a single Zone 1 Tube journey on your Oyster card. Again, the whole journey should take about an hour. The Gatwick Express service going to Victoria station costs almost twice as much and is only a few minutes quicker.

London Stansted (STN) is a little further away still, to the north-east. There are trains and coaches connecting it to central London. I don't have a particular recommendation in this case; both are viable. The trains are operated by Stansted Express (are you noticing a theme yet?); they take 53 minutes and cost £16.60 for a one-way journey to Liverpool Street station. A National Express coach journey, also to Liverpool Street station, costs £11 but takes 17 minutes longer. Since you'll end up at the same place anyway, it's really up to you which you prefer. From there, take a Central line Tube to Holborn and then either go one stop on the Piccadilly line to Russell Square or just walk.

Notes:

• Peak times are generally before 09:30 on weekday mornings. After that, and all day at weekends, is off-peak.
  • You may be able to find cheaper fares by booking in advance, but do so at your own risk, since if your flight is delayed you probably won't be able to get your tickets changed or refunded.
  • I don't think anyone is arriving at Luton, Oxford, or any of the other "London" airports, but if you are, let me know and I'll update this section.
  • If you're worried about getting lost, don't be! I'll happily pick you up from any of the central London stations I mentioned above and take you to where you need to go. You'll have to find your way out of the airport yourself though. ;) Send me a message if you'd like me to do this and we'll sort out the details.

An Oyster card is a pre-paid smart travelcard valid on almost all buses, trams and Underground, Overground, Docklands Light Railway and National Rail services in London, plus a couple of other things like a river bus/ferry. They are not valid on Heathrow Express, Heathrow Connect or Stansted Express, though they are valid on Gatwick Express and other trains from Gatwick.

To encourage people to use Oyster cards (or an equivalent, more on that below), it is significantly cheaper to travel using one than it is to buy paper tickets. Furthermore, cash is being phased out of certain modes of transportation – you can't buy tickets on a bus with cash any more, for example. You can buy a card at any Tube station, at various newsagents around the city, and possibly at Gatwick Airport (I haven't found any solid evidence of it though). A card costs £5 but you will save that money within your first day or two of using it. You can buy a Visitor Oyster card in advance here, which will incur a postage fee but will also give you discounts on various attractions in London as detailed here.

How it works is that you first load some money onto the card at a machine or ticket office. Let's say £20. Then, when you want to make a journey in London, you "tap in" your Oyster card on a reader on the bus or tram or at the platform barriers at a railway station. This initiates your journey.

If it's a bus or tram, that's it; the value of one journey, £1.50, will be deducted from your £20 balance straight away, and you'll have £18.50. If you start another bus or tram journey within an hour of the first one, you won't be charged any extra.

If it's a rail journey, however, you'll need to "tap out" again at your destination. This is because different length rail journeys cost different amounts. So if you're coming from Heathrow to Russell Square, your card will be deducted the £3.10 I mentioned earlier (assuming an off-peak journey) only when you leave the Tube at Russell Square. You'll then have £16.90 remaining.

Oyster cards have a clever feature called a daily cap. This means that after you have spent a certain amount of money travelling in one day, all your remaining journeys will be free. Suppose you are travelling around the centre of London using the Tube as your primary mode of transport. The first trip on your Oyster card will cost £2.40, the second will also cost £2.40, the third will cost £1.80, and from that point onwards, you won't pay a penny more no matter how many trips you make, because you'll have hit the daily cap of £6.60.

It's unlikely we will be making many, if any, trips outside of the £6.60 fare zone, so you can use that as a daily estimate of your travel costs. If, however, you are staying for a week or more, you may be better off loading a 7-day travelcard onto your Oyster. This will give you unlimited travel at a fixed price of £33 for Zones 1 and 2. A full table of daily caps and travelcard prices can be found here, and for completeness' sake, here is a table of single fares. Note that the Royal National and probably all of our accommodation is in Zone 1, Heathrow is in Zone 6 and Gatwick and Stansted are outside of the Zone system altogether.

Note: Debit and credit cards with contactless payment also work as Oyster card replacements – you just tap your card directly onto the reader. The reason I'm not recommending this is because only cards issued by UK banks are guaranteed to work. You're welcome to try it with a non-UK card but your mileage may vary.

If you're arriving from the EU, Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein, you'll be able to use your phone just as you do at home, including roaming data (fair use restrictions apply). If not, you'll need to investigate how much it will cost you to use the internet while in the UK – probably a fortune. If you feel like you'll survive with sporadic access, you can rely on Wi-Fi in cafés, fast food chains and the like. Your accommodation will almost certainly have Wi-Fi as well, though it may or may not be included in the cost of staying there. Other people can also hot-spot you when necessary. If you'd like something more reliable, however, and if your phone allows it, you could buy a pre-paid SIM card. Three seems to have decent options.

You won't be able to get a phone signal on the Tube, so if you want internet access there, you'll need to pay for Virgin Media Wi-Fi (or get it free if you're already a Virgin customer in the UK). It's only £5 for a week but I'm not sure I'd bother.

While we're on the subject of electronics, the UK uses three-pin Type G plugs and sockets. These are also used in the Republic of Ireland and a few other places, but most visitors will need to bring or buy an adapter to use or charge their devices. You may additionally need a voltage converter, or an adapter-and-converter combo, if you come from a country that does not use mains electricity in the 220-240 V range. The United States is one such country.

Food usually accounts for a hefty chunk of any holiday budget, and London is an expensive city. Breakfast (if your accommodation isn't providing it) and lunch will probably cost you £5-10 each, while dinner will be £10-15, plus drinks and tips. A standard tip in London is 10-15% of the bill, but don't give one if the restaurant has already added a service charge to your bill, as they usually do for large groups. Obviously you can spend way more than £15 on an evening meal if you want to, but you'll probably be dining alone if you do, since many of us will be trying to keep costs down. For those of us staying in the shared apartment: we could cook some meals ourselves to save money.

Drinks aren't particularly cheap by UK standards, though they probably feel like they are if you're coming from Finland or Norway or another expensive country. :P One drink (pint of beer/cider, small glass of wine) usually costs £3-5 in a pub, or double that in a club. Alcohol is considerably cheaper to buy from supermarkets and other shops but drinking in public is banned in much of London. It's also forbidden to drink or carry opened containers of alcohol on public transport.

Entertainment will probably cost less than you think, because all publicly-owned museums and art galleries in London are free! Sightseeing is also cheap – you can get around with public transport and it doesn't cost anything to stand outside the major tourist sights and take pictures. There are multiple options if you want to do a guided tour, including buses, river cruises and walking tours, but they can be pretty expensive, unless you go for something like this, where you name your own price. Or you could just do it yourself and rely on our combined local knowledge. Other entertainment costs will vary by what we decide to do as a group. We should start throwing some ideas together in this thread.

I'll personally be budgeting about £40 a day for everything mentioned above, excluding transport and accommodation.

I'd say it's as safe as any other big city, if you're smart. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I used to live on the outskirts of London and I was a frequent visitor to the centre, either on my own or with friends or family, and nothing bad ever happened to me. I understand how it can feel unsafe though, particularly at night, but you'll probably have other people with you at all times, so you won't be out on your own after dark.

If you have a bag with you while you are out and about, make sure you know where it is at all times. My top tip, however, is to keep your most valuable belongings as close to your body as possible – the best place to keep your phone and purse/wallet is in an inside pocket of your jacket, which makes them very difficult to take without you noticing. This is particularly important on crowded public transport, where you may not be able to sit down. I would recommend leaving your passport at your hotel or wherever you're staying, but if you look under 25 you may want to carry it with you as proof of age.

The emergency telephone number in the UK is 999, though the EU-wide number 112 also works. The principal emergency services are the police, the ambulance service, the fire brigade and the coastguard. Hopefully you won't need any of them. If you need the coastguard then something has gone really wrong, considering London isn't on the coast. :awesomonster:

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
Note: Debit and credit cards with contactless payment also work as Oyster card replacements &#8211; you just tap your card directly onto the reader. The reason I'm not recommending this is because only cards issued by UK banks are guaranteed to work. You're welcome to try it with a non-UK card but your mileage may vary.
Regarding this, I had my Norwegian Eurocard (basically it's Mastercard) credit card with me in February and it worked like a charm. Both on the subway an the airport express train from/to Gatwick. I was really pleasantly surprised by that as it meant I didn't have to carry around an extra card.

(I wish they had an app, but I guess there's a challenge with the gates.)

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Couple of additions:
Travel insurance is a must and if you have an EHIC without travel insurance or vice versa, some jobsworth will cause grief if you need medical attention. Alternatively I am a first aider (no current certificate) and your hotel will also have first-aid trained staff, not necessarily on-shift though. Kupocon will also have first aid trained staff.

If in the event you need to phone emergency services and you need someone to come to your assistance, use 112 rather than 999. It will track your position to an accuracy of six metres which 999 does not. Emergency services will also summon mountain rescue, not that you'll need it in London. :monster:

Outside of London, you can use cash on public transport but it is being phased out now (some routes in Brum are travel card only).

EDIT: this is a superb idea Flint.

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
All of this is super helpful, thanks a lot guys. Always good to be prepared and the health insurance card is on it's way to me now!

I'm not planning on getting stabbed but if I do, I am now mentally prepared for how screwed I will be because stabs probably hurt. A lot.
:monster:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
My sister was patching someone up after a stabbing in London yesterday. They were just fine. We're all gonna be okay :D

EDIT: London's just fine, no one's gonna be in any danger, we'll all be in groups all the time anyway. It's gonna be a fun, exciting adventure!

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
i__m_sharpening_my_knife__kupo__by_multishadowyoshi-d4zxu6w.jpg

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
Not what I want to hear cosplaying Aeris....

Well if memory serves me right, Aeris was the only healer in the group when the stabs happened. This time we'll have more than just Aeris to heal, so you'll be good :D

THAT DIDN'T HELP HER MUCH WHEN SHE GOT SHANKED

THAT'S WHAT I MEAN, SHE WAS TOO OCCUPIED BEING SHANKED. IF THERE WAS ANOTHER HEALER THERE THEY COULD HAVE PLUGGED THE HOLE(S)

OR THEY COULD HAVE HIRED MARIO

:pervert:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
OMFG I am not liking this. Can we just not get stabbed at all?

In a complete change of subject, should I go with the Princess Guard or Guard Stick? I kept getting the Princess Guard and Prism Staff mixed up, derp.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
The Guard Stick is what comes to mind for me when I think of the pole she uses, but the Princess Guard would probably be more unique compared to all the other cosplayers who go with the Guard Stick.

As for London plans, I mentioned it before but if possible, I think it'd be cool to go outside of London to see some nearby, idk, countryside/something cool, so that I see a bit more of England besides just a huge city XD
Obviously I wouldn't go alone because fuck that, but what does everyone else think? Does like, a day trip outside of London sound fun? And if so, any recommendations? I'd love to see a real castle :reptar:
I also wouldn't mind checking out some cool places in the city itself... and just spending time chilling out with everyone and not traveling around. :D

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
My home town is a half-hour train journey from Euston (near the Royal National; see my previous post) and it has the ruins of a Norman castle. There are definitely more interesting places to visit but if anyone really wants to see where I grew up, it's an option. :P

I agree that it would be fun to get out of London for a day.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
My home town is ALSO a half-hour train journey from London ... although like a little bit more from the Royal National, and it also has a castle from 1066!!! :P but honestly the town is a little shit in terms of other attractions so I don't seriously suggest we go there. What about Windsor? You can like ... see where the posh people live there it's kinda cool (I've only been there once so like ... I'm not an expert). Come to think of it, most places have castles, so I guess we need to work out which the best castles are?

Top Bottom