SPOILERS Predictions for Part 2? (*Open Spoilers for Part 1*)

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I was thinking that Sephiroth might decide to “keep” Cloud to finally make him his sex slave for reasons for a while after fucking with his mind and making him summon Meteor. Because of the invitation to join him or whatever that was. That might work as a cliffhanger for old and new players alike and at least the first half of the final part might play very differently from the OG.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I was thinking that Sephiroth might decide to “keep” Cloud to finally make him his sex slave for reasons for a while after fucking with his mind and making him summon Meteor. Because of the invitation to join him or whatever that was. That might work as a cliffhanger for old and new players alike and at least the first half of the final part might play very differently from the OG.
Oooooooo that would be cool!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If Sephiroth is going to continue to mislead Cloud with visions of the (a?) future, assuming that was Sephiroth, I could see Sephiroth giving Cloud visions of Cloud almost killing Aerith to make him think he's the who is going to do it. As another way to torture him.

I dunno exactly where that will lead, but there's some potential there I guess.

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
More split into teams/going solo moments! I usually hate when RPG's make me do that, but each character is so damn fun to play that I actually found myself wanting more. More!

Plus more character building between teammates who don't normally get 1 on 1 time together. More!!

Also, ifyoukillofftifainsteadofaerithillhuntyoudownnomura... MORE!!!

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think their way of of splitting the group was rather well done, and forced you to play with everyone - unlike the OG where you usually have one team and that's basically it. I wonder if Aerith does die though, will she go with all her materia? Lol cause I always played her with very basic stuff when I was forced to group her because of that XD

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
God, we gotta wait what's probably two years for part 2, right? The wait is gonna kill me. Its been two weeks and the fandom has yet to produce the half-million word slowburn Cloud/Tifa coffee shop AU I've been thirsting after since Remake got announced. *shakes fist* The fandom is slacking and I'm gonna go stir-crazy in the meantime.

Soon, on my end:lol: (Check my sig for my fanfics~) I've just been busy replaying this wild game.

And thanks again for your two cents on the Part 2 breakdown! All those potential moments you mentioned would be golden (and more heart breaking/warming feels for me, ugh).

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I think their way of of splitting the group was rather well done, and forced you to play with everyone - unlike the OG where you usually have one team and that's basically it. I wonder if Aerith does die though, will she go with all her materia? Lol cause I always played her with very basic stuff when I was forced to group her because of that XD
It was nice, but I wish they'd have had a playable segment or two with Barret and/or Tifa and the Avalanche trio while Cloud was stuck with Aerith, to show what was happening with them rather than just have Tifa tell us after the fact and give us more time in pre-collapse Sector 7 than we otherwise would've had. Also so the trio wouldn't have so completely disappeared from the game after Chapter 4, right when we were made to want to do more with them and spend more time with them.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
So after having some time to think, here's my thoughts on where SE is going with this. I've already shared them with a few peeps but thought I'd also post here:

1.) SE is using this as an excuse to scrap the plot from this point forward. Anything could happen.

2.) Sephiroth knows that the Whispers guarantee his defeat. He tricked Cloud & Co. into defeating them so that Sephiroth might now have a chance to win. The majority of the plot stays the same. This all happened only because the devs felt they needed a better final boss battle for part 1.

I have to say, if it's #1 I'm out. I don't want this. This is not what I signed on for.

If it's #2 I can maybe live with it. While I do understand there will be some changes, the if the overall main story beats stay the same I'm game.

Wedge surviving the plate, fine I guess. Biggs too? That's a stretch but it doesn't ruin things for me. A lot more emphasis on Wutai and their tensions with Shinra? Absolutely.

Zack being alive? No. Aerith not dying? No. Cloud doesn't get tricked into thinking he's not a real person? Absolutely not.

Would SE really do this to us? Change the story?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't think its either of those options. I think it was them opening up the possibility for them to take greater liberties with the original plot than part 1 did, but I doubt they're planning on just ignoring the original plot altogether from here onward.

Square never wanted to just make the same game again, that's just not how they operate with something as big as this.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think SE will likely be changing the meat of the FFVII story, but I am confident the skeleton will stay intact (i.e. all those major plot points you mentioned will be retained). But stuff like Yuffie’s Wutai scenario I imagine will be significantly different and expanded. Likewise I even hope Cid and Shera’s writing/arc will be improved and rewritten. And the Huge Materia section of narrative is just begging for rewrites in the Remake.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I think SE will likely be changing the meat of the FFVII story, but I am confident the skeleton will stay intact (i.e. all those major plot points you mentioned will be retained). But stuff like Yuffie’s Wutai scenario I imagine will be significantly different and expanded. Likewise I even hope Cid and Shera’s writing/arc will be improved and rewritten. And the Huge Materia section of narrative is just begging for rewrites in the Remake.

And all of that is totally fine! It's enhancing the story, not changing it.

I just hope you're right about it just changing the meat and not the bones.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I'm curious about who or what could be the final boss for the next part. If its 3 parts, I really don't want another form of Sephiroth. I'm sure SE could make it work, but I'd be really tired of him by the final game.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If SE feels like they have to include a Sephiroth fight of some sort, hopefully they do it so that "Sephiroth" is just the second-to-last boss fight and/or the first phase of the last boss fight, and either Jenova LIFE or Jenova DEATH are the final final bosses of the second part (presuming the second part ends at either Aerith's death or Meteor Summon).

Reactions: LNK

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Even if they do change the meat of the story, right now it's justified. They stabilished the foundations for it. It's not like in this Part that we got at most a very formal "heads up" by the developers. Not that I think that's gonna happen, but still.

I really want next final boss to be Jenova. Or atleast Rufus. Jenova being more of the focus of the next game is a really right call for me, aswell as a change to make another Rufus battle possible. Damn we really just fought him one time in the original. The Remake really got me craving for more.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I agree. And, I do hope part 2 ends after Aerith death. If SE ends it how they did part 1, I wonder what kind of cliff hanger we would get if it happened like this. Maybe make it seem like Genesis and Angeal will be apart of part 3? More deep ground (tsviets) stuff?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Speculating is fun. Here's my attempt:

With FF7R in our hands, we have our best look yet on how future parts will be structured and what SE is capable of delivering with ~3 years of full development time. Here are some guidelines I'm going to follow in my speculation based on what was offered in part 1:

1. Part 2 will feature around 18 chapters (basically areas/maps)
2. Part 2 will feature around 3 "town areas" with side quests (analogous to Sector 7 slums, Sector 5 slums, and Wall Market)
3. All areas from the OG will return (This is the sited reason FF7R was split into parts, so that it's not an "abridged" version)
4. All minigames from the OG will return (FF7R embraces the OG's eccentricities)
5. Most importantly, a new mystery will be introduced and resolved in some form (analogous to the mystery of the Whispers)

I want to emphasize that last guideline. Think of the remake project as a crime series and each part is a season. Every episode in a season features a self-contained plot, but an ongoing mystery is also established early on (e.g. Whispers surrounding Cloud and Aerith at Loveless Avenue). This ongoing mystery presents itself to the main characters throughout the season (e.g. Whispers correct events). At the climax of the season, the main characters unravel the mystery but are consequently changed (e.g. defeating the Whispers and defying fate). The audience speculates how the change will affect the next season (e.g. this forum right now).

Serialized media often use this structure to make each installment stand on its own and engage the audience between parts. As such, I think part 2 will feature its own mystery to surprise players and help establish it as a full-fledged game.

Additionally, I don't think it's feasible to expect each town from the OG to be just one chapter in part 2. Towns seemed the most difficult areas for SE to develop in part 1 likely due to the amount of voice acting to record, event logic to debug, and data streaming to optimize. In part 1, each new area (or map basically) was considered its own chapter. A great example is the second bombing mission, which is split across three chapters (or three areas: Corkscrew Tunnel, beneath the plate, Mako Reactor 5). Stretching out the second bombing mission also benefited the narrative's pacing as it broke up the town areas (Sector 7 slums and Sector 5 slums), which feature a different style of play (side questing).

I've tried to consider all of this in my speculation: workload, mystery, and narrative pacing. Here's my list of chapters for part 2:

1 - Journey to Kalm (tutorial and exposition)
2 - Nibelheim Incident part 1 (pre-Jenova discovery)
3 - Nibelheim Incident part 2 (post-Jenova discovery)
4 - Kalm (town with side quests #1)
5 - Chocobo Farm and Midgar Zolom (chocobo riding minigame #1)
6 - Mythril Mines and Turks
7 - Fort Condor (real-time strategy minigame)
8 - Forest event with Yuffie
9 - Lower Junon (town with side quests #2, CPR minigame lol)
10 - Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony (parade minigames)
11 - Cargo ship
12 - Costa del Sol
13 - Mt. Corel
14 - North Corel (town with side quests #3)
15 - Gold Saucer (new date event, coliseum, minigame bonanza)
16 - Corel Prison (chocobo riding minigame #2)
17 - Gongaga part 1
18 - Gongaga part 2

Now for my theory as to what the new mystery could be to entice players. This is where I jump off the deep end. As I've said elsewhere, I'm thoroughly in the "Zack is Back" camp, hence the two part finale at Gongaga in my list. I speculate that Zack will also pursue Sephiroth throughout part 2, albeit ahead of the party. NPCs will talk of another SOLDIER 1st Class who helped out around town just a few days prior. "A charismatic man hitched a ride to cross the ocean just before you arrived" kind of thing. In the finale of part 2, Zack and the party's paths will finally cross at Gongaga, Sephiroth will appear for spooks, and Shinra will be around in full force as they excavate the old mako reactor. All the pieces necessary for a suitable finale.

But that's just my speculation! Sorry if I lost ya. At the very least I hope I provided some food for thought. My big takeaway is that I don't think part 2 will make it up to the Forgotten City or Northern Crater, not unless they implement a world map and reduce town sizes.

Furthermore, I think part 3 could end at the Northern Crater and part 4 will end, well, where the OG ended!

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
So after having some time to think, here's my thoughts on where SE is going with this. I've already shared them with a few peeps but thought I'd also post here:

1.) SE is using this as an excuse to scrap the plot from this point forward. Anything could happen.

2.) Sephiroth knows that the Whispers guarantee his defeat. He tricked Cloud & Co. into defeating them so that Sephiroth might now have a chance to win. The majority of the plot stays the same. This all happened only because the devs felt they needed a better final boss battle for part 1.

I have to say, if it's #1 I'm out. I don't want this. This is not what I signed on for.

If it's #2 I can maybe live with it. While I do understand there will be some changes, the if the overall main story beats stay the same I'm game.

Wedge surviving the plate, fine I guess. Biggs too? That's a stretch but it doesn't ruin things for me. A lot more emphasis on Wutai and their tensions with Shinra? Absolutely.

Zack being alive? No. Aerith not dying? No. Cloud doesn't get tricked into thinking he's not a real person? Absolutely not.

I'm with you on that! I can totally live with #1 as I don't mind all the changes/improvements as long as they keep the main points intact, but if they go around using the remake to pretty much retcon everything that happened in the OG with the excuse of a "new timeline" well... I'm out!

But they did say they will not be changing the main plot points so I'll hold onto that...for now.

on a side note: the possibility of 4 parts for the remake??? dunno if I'm excited for more content or annoyed that will take years ( a lot of money) for me to be able to play the full game.............:rage:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The thing is with Zack...he was one of my favorite characters in the original, but what purpose does he have at this point in the story? He was the catalyst for Cloud’s current state, the baton was passed on to him.

With both Zack and Cloud present, I’m reminded of this

35973637-656A-43DE-AA80-169A622F6DB7.jpeg

Two buster swords, too

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I put my money on part 2 ending at the northern cave. This makes the most sense. Part one ends as the goal shifts from "defeat Shinra" to "hunt Sephiroth." Part two therefore should cover the entire hunt for Sephiroth, and end as we transition to the new goal of "Find a way to stop Meteor."

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Well, Cloud takes up the Buster Sword after Zack falls, right? He has the Buster Sword in Remake. If Zack never dies, this never happens, and Zack keeps his. Assuming they walked into some alternate dimension at the end (did they?) where Zack lived, Cloud would have his Buster Sword at the same time Zack does. I’m down to be wrong on this, but this is how I thought about it. If anyone can disprove this, let me know.

And yeah, they would be pretty epic as those two cats.

Reactions: LNK

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
After watching the ending again, it seems like Zack and Cloud, the last you see them, are right about at the spot where Zack was killed in the OG. He was dragging Cloud along at the time, too, same as in the remake's ending. So I'm not sure if he's alive or not. Though with the whole point of fate being to enforce the events of the OG, it seems a little odd that beating them would restore Zack's end to its OG version when the whole point of fighting the Whispers was to break free of the OG's constraints.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
If they walked into an alternate universe, that isn't Remake's Cloud's Zack. In fact, either there is another Cloud roaming in the world, or somehow this Cloud "took" that Cloud's place.

I'm willing to bet that Zack lived in what, consequently, is an alternate universe. But our party didnt went there. The singularity brought them back to their own universe. The alternate world with "happier" stuff is meant for symbolism, or maybe some other plot down the next parts (maybe visions?). But anyway, we dont know about anything pretty much.

I also dont know how would they "retcon" the OG. Ever since the beggining of the Remake this is not the OG's universe, and that's without the Whispers. Johnny being more involved, Wall Market being completely different, Abzu not dying, etc. These are game design choices of this Remake that dont really have an explanation, but it is not the OG.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
@Yumelinh You can totally live with #1 or #2?

oh, right! I meant #2!! :P

If they walked into an alternate universe, that isn't Remake's Cloud's Zack. In fact, either there is another Cloud roaming in the world, or somehow this Cloud "took" that Cloud's place.

I'm willing to bet that Zack lived in what, consequently, is an alternate universe. But our party didnt went there. The singularity brought them back to their own universe. The alternate world with "happier" stuff is meant for symbolism, or maybe some other plot down the next parts (maybe visions?). But anyway, we dont know about anything pretty much.

I also dont know how would they "retcon" the OG. Ever since the beggining of the Remake this is not the OG's universe, and that's without the Whispers. Johnny being more involved, Wall Market being completely different, Abzu not dying, etc. These are game design choices of this Remake that dont really have an explanation, but it is not the OG.

I get your point! I mean, this is definitely not 100% true to the OG, however, it's more of a "plot expansion/enhancement" than an actual different universe/timeline, no? Aside from the whispers and ch18, I don't think nothing they changed has actually changed the original plot that much.

I guess retcon wasn't the right word to be used there, but what I meant is that if they decided to change all the main points of the OG it will kinda feel like it in some way.

Top Bottom