SPOILERS Predictions for Part 2? (*Open Spoilers for Part 1*)

Magos-Dominus

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Magos
@SailorStarDust

If I had to break what I assume Part 2 (of 3) is going to cover into 18 or so parts, I'd assume the following, with Fort Condor folded into Junon, the Chocobo Ranch folded into Kalm, North Corel folded into the Gold Saucer/Corel Prison, and Gongaga cut entirely, to decrease the workload on the number of individual 'sets' that need to be put together for what is in all likelyhood the most asset-hungry installment of the trilogy, and now that the plot is a lot less coy about the Zack plotline, Gongaga is a lot of work for little payoff, given that Aerith and Tifa's convo and hinting can go in plenty of other spots. Also, sans the Chocobo Breeding minigame returning, I'd like to see each party member get a unique, named Chocobo, which can be smuggled over on the cargo ship, and then replace the Buggy as our land transport of choice for most of the game. Would help make up for the loss of the World Map and a lot of connective tissue sequences between locations.

1) The Kalm Flashback
2) Kalm and Chocobo Wrangling
3) Chocobo Zolom Chase + Sephiroth's Taxidermy Skills + Mithral Mine
4) Junon (Biggs/Wedge, if alive, pop back up briefly, Yuffie joins the party while spying on Shin-Ra)
5) Boat Espionage
6) Costa Del Sol (Aerith and Tifa go shopping, Cloud carries their stuff.)
7) North Corel + Corel Prison + Gold Saucer Part 1
8) Cosmo Canyon
9) Nibelheim
10) Rocket Town
11) Wutai
12) Gold Saucer Part 2 (The play we join on the Date is the same acting troupe Jessie was a part of. Feels are had. Remains a Aerith/Barret/Tifa Choice, now that the standout for the Canon one, Aerith, no longer needing to occur due to the plot being less coy about Zack and her related character development. Barret's 'Date' is mostly about that Jessie connection)
13) The Temple of the Ancients
14) Bone Village
15) The Forgotten Capital
16 Icicle Village
17) Gaea's Cliff/The Whirlwind Maze
18) The Kalm Flashback, Revisited

Aside from that, I could see Wutai being 2 Chapters, due to its increase in plot relevance in Part 1, and a 'Filler' Chapter just after Nibelheim where Tifa guides the party over the mountains to Rocket Town, as in the OG plot she needs a little time to shine on her own, and the location and symbolism are pretty important going forward.

Magos-Dominus

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Magos
God, we gotta wait what's probably two years for part 2, right? The wait is gonna kill me. Its been two weeks and the fandom has yet to produce the half-million word slowburn Cloud/Tifa coffee shop AU I've been thirsting after since Remake got announced. *shakes fist* The fandom is slacking and I'm gonna go stir-crazy in the meantime.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
That's an interesting take, Magos. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if Jessie's alive (which is possible due to the ending), she might get a Gold Saucer date, too. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not sure Part 2 alone can cover that much content, though, with how much they're expanding the world because the scale has to correspond to how they did Midgar if it's going to feel right. But it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Reactions: LNK

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Also Tankceratops has to be included.

Tankceratops is so going to be a boss battle. Actually I kind of want to go back through the OG to try to guess which monster will get the same treatment.

Nibelheim flashback>Cloud's mental breakdown still feels like the most satisfying split for Part 2 to me, even because I really don't know for how much longer they can get away with not explaining what happened to him, especially since Part 1 teased so much about it already. Though I have to say, I'm not sure they'll be able to pull it off, that does sound like a lot of stuff to create and expand… Maybe they'll just shuffle things around.

I agree that everyone should have their own chocobo, though I always felt that Barret was too big to ride one :P Red might have a hard time too…?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I wonder, Wutai can't just be a small town anymore, can it? Its pretty much a whole nation, so I imagine the place will be a lot bigger and play a much bigger role in the plot.
Keep in mind that in the OG, Wutai was said to be small as an outcome of the war. Because of that, I don’t imagine it’ll be as small as it initially was, but I don’t think it’ll be super huge, either. But then again, every area was expanded in Remake, more or less. Wutai will probably be no different.

Anyways...
One thing I’m worried about is that, as “convoluted” as people think the original story was, once all of the info fell into place, it all fit together surprisingly coherently and simply. Now that things are much more abstracted, there’s a chance they won’t be. In my opinion right now, the best case scenario would be if the game’s overall structure remained the same - but different routes could result in different outcomes. That would be an interesting take.

Remake seems to posit that VII’s ending wasn’t a desirable outcome, but that’s misguided. The ending is one of the most beautiful things about the game. It’s bittersweet and leaves a lot to think about; The monstrosity of Midgar is destroyed, and Cloud and company prevented the destruction of the planet. On the negative - the future status of humans is unknown, and they truly failed to stop Meteor completely. It was a mixed situation where there were some genuine wins and genuine losses. All of the events of VII became buried, ancient history, leaving nature to reclaim the industrial abomination.

It’s the conclusion to the themes of loss that are present in the entire game - from AVALANCHE, Aeris, Cloud’s past, Midgar, and human advancement itself, loss is a key theme in VII. Will this carry over to Remake part 2? With AVALANCHE surviving and the future being open ended, who knows?

They’ve already set the seeds for the overall plot points to be the same, and a lot of the plot twists that happened in VII are things that happened in the past already (Zack, Nibelheim, Cloud failing to get into SOLDIER, etc). Given the Arbiters of Fate being defeated opens the future up, those past elements are still the same. So I expect Kalm, Nibelheim and Cloud’s backstory to be pretty similar. The main things I expect to be different are Meteor and things involving the Ancients.

But uh...
I wish companies would just give people what they’re expecting for once. Why does everything have to subvert our expectations these days? Can’t companies just keep it simple?

With that said, I’m pretty open to whatever Square has for us. They’re in a unique position where the future work can build on the existing behemoth of a mythos that FFVII has become. I’m interested in what they choose to do with that position.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Keep in mind that the party seems to think it’s a bad outcome but they don’t have the full context. They only get partials flashes, and in none of them they look like they won against Sephiroth. The dev team is imho not only misguiding players, but also characters.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I wonder if they're going to play up the Yuffie/Vincent relationship more in Remake 2. I don't mean that in a shipping way, just that the two have been conflated into a bit of a duo by the fans over the years, presumably due to their status as optional characters along with Dirge having them interact more. I always thought their few interactions were funny because of how opposite their personalities are.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I would be surprised if SE wanted to deviate from the timeline that leads to ACC. They seem very fond of that film.

Really? What makes you say that?

I thought they're trying to deviate from the Compilation and are creating a new canon? This I'm not entirely sure, though; it's just from what I heard a while ago. I admit I hadn't been closely following news of the remake.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Yeah, they said the compilation is still very much the basis of this and every other game that they release. And Advent Children is probably the biggest influence to even making the Remake. It was kinda like their dream.

And it really shows actually. When you fight Seph at Chapter 18, when your swords hit eachother or something like that, some particles comes out and it is...just like AC in the fight with Seph inside the buildings. I'm gonna see if I can find a video, but I'm 99% sure is there.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I see. No wonder Cloud's acrobatic moves in the last fight look very ACC-ish, which confused me because I didn't think Cloud at his current remake level would be able to bust his ACC moves at that point.

So they're not abandoning the Compilation then? Would the remake story line be considered a reboot of the OG or would it be treated as an alternate universe?

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I see. No wonder Cloud's acrobatic moves in the last fight look very ACC-ish, which confused me because I didn't think Cloud at his current remake level would be able to bust his ACC moves at that point.

So they're not abandoning the Compilation then? Would the remake story line be considered a reboot of the OG or would it be treated as an alternate universe?
I mean, it's complicated. But for a tl:dr, it's just an alternate universe. Things happen in the Remake that never happened in the original, even without the Whispers, like Wall Market being different and Johnny being more involved etc, and Nomura stated that one doesnt overwrite the other. It gets complicated because we have to treat them in context of their medium, one is a remake of the other, and the game itself enters into those types of questions so everything gets really....well, complicated.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
We can always pit him with Elmyra. They have a lot in common.
They can definitely bond over Marlene and parenthood in general, yeah. Plus, I think someone with a mature personality is more suited to Barret. He doesn’t seem like the type who would go for someone lackadaisical.

But then again, Farris wheels spin around and around and so does Barret‘s gun arm. I dunno, that sounds like they’re made for each other.

Top Bottom