SPOILERS Predictions for Part 2? (*Open Spoilers for Part 1*)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I see. No wonder Cloud's acrobatic moves in the last fight look very ACC-ish, which confused me because I didn't think Cloud at his current remake level would be able to bust his ACC moves at that point.

So they're not abandoning the Compilation then? Would the remake story line be considered a reboot of the OG or would it be treated as an alternate universe?
To expand on what @oty said, what we know for certain at the moment is that the original game and the remake exist in separate universes. Beyond that, it seems some version of the Compilation is supposed to apply to both.

We still have to wait for more details to see where all it's going to go, but they have stressed that "Advent Children is at the core of Final Fantasy VII Remake" (around the 18:00-minute mark) and "all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that’s all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too."

I heard all chandeliers are swingers.

We are.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
To expand on what @oty said, what we know for certain at the moment is that the original game and the remake exist in separate universes. Beyond that, it seems some version of the Compilation is supposed to apply to both.

We still have to wait for more details to see where all it's going to go, but they have stressed that "Advent Children is at the core of Final Fantasy VII Remake" (around the 18:00-minute mark) and "all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that’s all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too."

We are.
I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll continue to use that lore. I like how they've used stuff so far

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai

We are.

Thanks, Tres. Very helpful as always.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

We are.
I almost feel like this should be put in a pinned FAQ people might have about the Compilation continuity and the Remake.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay, I think I've got a prediction for the general progression of the second game.

There are many times where the characters very nearly alter the story before the whispers intervene in remake part 1, and with the whispers seemingly gone, now there's nothing to stop that from happening. I think their absence will create a sort of ripple effect; the game is going to start out extremely familiar, with a very faithful retelling of Cloud's past, but as things progress, the plot will change more and more. There will be a lot of little moments where the game goes out of it's way to highlight that things are happening slightly differently, and these differences will compound on each other until there's a wham moment where things get extremely off the original course. Itll ba a "we're not in Kansas anymore" moment. I think the point of all of this will be to instill in the returning player the sense that things can change, leading right up to Aerith's death.

I still think that she will die, but I don't expect it to happen the same way. New Sephiroth needs to break Cloud in a way he wasn't before, so I think the remake will commit to something the original didn't, and Cloud will kill her himself. That would be the most shocking and cruel way to use the "things can be different this time" mentality against the audience while maintaining the integrity of the original progression of events. People will expect to be able to save her after seeing Biggs alive and Jessie 2 k thnx don't @ me only to have things change in a much more tragic way.

I'm more convinced of what I said in the first paragraph than the second, but still. Things are going to change radically and its gonna be a trip. Much more than part 1 was.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Okay, I think I've got a prediction for the general progression of the second game.

There are many times where the characters very nearly alter the story before the whispers intervene in remake part 1, and with the whispers seemingly gone, now there's nothing to stop that from happening. I think their absence will create a sort of ripple effect; the game is going to start out extremely familiar, with a very faithful retelling of Cloud's past, but as things progress, the plot will change more and more. There will be a lot of little moments where the game goes out of it's way to highlight that things are happening slightly differently, and these differences will compound on each other until there's a wham moment where things get extremely off the original course. Itll ba a "we're not in Kansas anymore" moment. I think the point of all of this will be to instill in the returning player the sense that things can change, leading right up to Aerith's death.

I still think that she will die, but I don't expect it to happen the same way. New Sephiroth needs to break Cloud in a way he wasn't before, so I think the remake will commit to something the original didn't, and Cloud will kill her himself. That would be the most shocking and cruel way to use the "things can be different this time" mentality against the audience while maintaining the integrity of the original progression of events. People will expect to be able to save her after seeing Biggs alive and Jessie 2 k thnx don't @ me only to have things change in a much more tragic way.

I'm more convinced of what I said in the first paragraph than the second, but still. Things are going to change radically and its gonna be a trip. Much more than part 1 was.

I like the way you think.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I was actually just thinking something along those lines last night. How crazy would it be to have Sephiroth fully take over Cloud during a 'reunion' moment, and Cloud, under Seph's control, would kill Aerith.

In that tearful aftermath, it would be the Party vs Cloud instead of a Jenova piece, until they severed the Jenova connection (a lot like with Kadaj), reverting Cloud into a comatose state. Instead of falling into the lifestream, this would be the aftermath moment where Tifa attempts to reach him and piece him back together, leading to his final return of his true persona. And all the guilt comes flooding in.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
My brain has concocted two ways of it going down:

1. Cloud arrives at the altar only to find Sephiroth there instead of Aerith. He demands to know where she is and what Sephiroth has done, but Sephiroth says nothing. In frustration, Cloud goes in for the attack. There's no dodge, no block, just direct, cold impact. Sephiroth smirks, then fades away, only to reveal Aerith underneath, now impaled on the end of Cloud's sword. Maybe she squeezes in some last words, or maybe just a kinda happy kinda sad look, and then the life leaves her eyes. Cue cloud freaking the fuck out.

2. Same as above but a battle with Jenova ensues when Cloud goes to attack Sephiroth. The whole party gets involved, and when Jenova disappears its shown that Aerith was who they were fighting, like clone 42 in the shinra building. It would be pointedly shown that Cloud gets the killing blow on Jenova.

Or, y'know, it just happens like it did originally except cloud fails to resist like he did in the original.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I understand the reasoning, but I feel that would be a bit too cruel on Cloud and I don’t see how he could ever recover, seeing how he was already destroyed by guilt over her death even when it wasn’t really his fault. Even if Sephiroth compels him to do it, that seems like a bit much to me. But who knows, maybe he might end up feeling more responsible for it for some reason.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
That said, I thought about the scene some more and I remembered how brilliant it was that the game made you feel like you, personally, were about to murder Aerith against your will, since every time you pressed the button you just got a little closer to killing her : D

So yeah, I definitely agree they should play with it and make us feel powerless, even through clever usage of gameplay elements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom