Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Reboot

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
There are just some things in the Compliation that need to be dropped in my opinion.And that is why I am for a reboot instead of a remake.A reboot would be more like an alternate continuity rather than the same universe.I also want Genesis to be out of the picture unless they make it so he degraded in the end and remained evil.
So you want a reboot where they change the events from the original game, but you also think they shouldn't follow the compilation (retconning the compilation)?

Part of the reason people don't like the Compilation is because they change things. I don't think anyone would be happy about that.

They don't need to change things, they need to get their story straight.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
So you want a reboot where they change the events from the original game, but you also think they shouldn't follow the compilation (retconning the compilation)?

Part of the reason people don't like the Compilation is because they change things. I don't think anyone would be happy about that.

They don't need to change things, they need to get their story straight.

You have a good point there.If they were to reboot it I was thinking they should add elements that work with the original story.Or at least expand some parts that were not fully explored in the original game.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Or at least expand some parts that were not fully explored in the original game.

This is what the compilation should have done in the first place. I mean it DID a bit, but it was nowhere near sufficient and left so many more questions than answers.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
If I had to pick I'd choose a remake. I think if they rebooted the game it would make the compilation a lot more messy like the others have said and I'm already confused enough about it. But since I'm more a fan of Shinra than the main characters I'd want a remake of BC and I'd want the OTWTAS novellas and maybe The Turks Lateral Bio to be done in CGI. I just cant get enough of CGI Turks. That would be enough for me.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
If there was a reboot I want more focus put on Dr.Gast,Ifana,and the Cetra as a whole.I think through the Compliations not a lot emphasis has been really put on exploring what the Cetra were like before Jenova came.I am also curious about the connection with the humans of Final Fantasy 7 and the residents of Spira.I am wondering if there should be history about the Cetra being the original inhabintants of the planet then humans came from Spira to colonize it.

I am also wondering if maybe Jenova could have come from Spira and could have been a Sin like creature who eventually found a way to travel the galaxy.Yeah,if Final Fantasy 7 is the future of Final Fantasy X then I think it would be a good tie in that Jenova originally came from Spira.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Of those choices, remake all the way. I agree with Octo in not being crazy about reboots. Good things can come of them, sure, but 9 times out of 10 I will be happier with continuity rather than just someone throwing their hands up and saying "FORGET ALL THAT, STARTIN' OVER!"
And as I have said on the issue of finishing the Compilation - I would have mroe respect for SE if they finished what they started rather than just giving up on it.

I dont really want a remake as I dont trust them not to fuck it up. Crisis Core gave an indication of what theyd do and it was fucking bland as hell, I still dont get how they managed to give the slums 0 personality in 3D.

This was a result of 2 factors, in my opinion.
#1 - the PSP's limited rendering power really did away with all the little details. Obviously the PS1 had even less power, but VII's backgrounds were pre-rendered, allowing for all that great detail in the trash piles and graffiti and stuff like that.
#2 - The lack of a restrictive, top-down camera angle. A free roaming camera is pretty much going to be inherently less oppressive.

I think both of those things are pretty easily fixed. A console will have more than enough power to render lots of little details in real time (See: Uncharted series). And don't be afraid to use a fixed or uncontrollable camera once in awhile. It worked pretty well for FFX.

I thought Cid was allowed to let loose in DoC. Something tells me I'm remembering that game wrong.

Yes and no. There were plenty of 'hell's and 'damn's and 'ass's to protray him as suitably curmudgeonly and he didn't seem very out of character. But there wasn't really anything worthy of the "*#^%"s either.

They have to introduce elements of the Compilation. Given its existence, they can't just remake a game they've changed the storyline to and keep it the same, otherwise it's a completely wasted effort. I already own FFVII. Better graphics is going to do nothing for me.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the compilation theyd have a shot, but now theyd be obliged to include a load of the stupid shit they came up with.

I don't understand this mentality. Why would they have to change anything about that? The whole point of the Compilation was to extend the story of the original game, not the other way around. And while they messed stuff up, I don't see how that would have to affect the main story.
i.e. Deepground and the Genesis Army - they were both way too big, especially too big to be completely covered up. But we've been clearly told that they WERE completely covered up somehow. So neither of them would be in the main quest.

Indeed, we're told Genesis' ENTIRE EXISTENCE was completely covered up and erased from the history books. So he would have no impact at all.

The biggie is of course Genesis at Nibelheim. But I think it was pretty obvious that it was inserted there with the idea that Cloud wouldn't really have any knowledge of the man anyway, therefore it would not be in his memory which is why we never saw it in the main game. Regardless of whether you feel that was plausible or not, I have to think that was the intent. So, again, the original scenes should be unaffected.

Before Crisis does add some problems, but Crisis Core proved they don't have any problem screwing what happened in BC in the interest of the way things were originally portrayed (and they shouldn't have any problems with that as BC is dumb).

As I have frequently petitioned - by all means, stick in all the optional content you want that ties to the Compilation. Optional dungeons in places like Banora or Modeoheim, find even more info on the original Avalanche than you could already by really picking Elders' brains in Cosmo Canyon, et cetera. But don't touch the original quest. It was fine, by and large, and the Compilation is supposed to conform to it, not vice versa.

So, again, questioning SE's current pedigree with game development is one thing, and probably legitimate. But this idea that Square would HAVE TO CHANGE the main quest to conform with the Compilation and would therefore ruin the game, I just don't see it.

And jazzflower, the VII-X connection was just "something to chew on," it never seems to have been intended as anything with an explicit link. Especially not one like Jenova.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
But since I'm more a fan of Shinra than the main characters I'd want a remake of BC and I'd want the OTWTAS novellas and maybe The Turks Lateral Bio to be done in CGI. I just cant get enough of CGI Turks. That would be enough for me.

I still want my Turks based H-Game dammnit!1111

clap07.jpg

clap08.jpg

clap13.jpg

clap14.jpg

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
As I have frequently petitioned - by all means, stick in all the optional content you want that ties to the Compilation. Optional dungeons in places like Banora or Modeoheim, find even more info on the original Avalanche than you could already by really picking Elders' brains in Cosmo Canyon, et cetera. But don't touch the original quest. It was fine, by and large, and the Compilation is supposed to conform to it, not vice versa.

Yes, this. They could have done that to explain more about Genesis' intentions. We still don't know what he's really going to do in a sequel, but he's up to something.

If anything, one of the perks for making a compilation out of VII is so that we can have bonus content and dungeons in a remake.

Also, now that Cosmo Canyon is brought up, the other reason we need a remake is to finally know what the hell Bugenhagen is sitting on. Is it a ball? His legs? A huge materia that he could've loaned the team the whole time but was too selfish?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Off course they COULD do a remake without including all the stupid shit. My worry is that given their previous form they won't. It's a goddamn compulsion for them :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And like I said that's a more legitimate concern, but that's not what you and Bedford said :monster:

And hey, Before Crisis and Last Order both had Sephiroth jumping after Cloud overpowers him, but for Crisis Core someone gave Kitase a smack on the back of the head and they made it the way it was supposed to be. So there's that.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
The biggie is of course Genesis at Nibelheim. But I think it was pretty obvious that it was inserted there with the idea that Cloud wouldn't really have any knowledge of the man anyway, therefore it would not be in his memory which is why we never saw it in the main game. Regardless of whether you feel that was plausible or not, I have to think that was the intent. So, again, the original scenes should be unaffected.
This is what my mind always drifts to when I think of the Compilation. Also Rufus being alive, but people being alive when they were seemingly killed is a recurring thing within all media.

I understand the idea that Cloud would never have to see him, or really know he's there. But what Cloud re-constructed about Nibelheim is from what he saw and what he was told by Zack IIRC. I think Genesis's role was fairly important, and his entire omittence(?) from a re-telling, even if it is Cloud's fake events, would still seem odd. Like they purposely didn't include him for reasons other than "Well Cloud wouldn't have known he was there."

Maybe that's just me.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
remake: cut out all the foul language and water down the innuendo even more, because in 1080p they would not be able to get this shit through with a T rating, and it's unlikely SE will want to sell an FF title with an M

reboot: GENESIS. ANGELS. MORE CONVOLUTED SHIT BECAUSE WE HAVE NO HANDLE ON THE LORE ANYMORE

no thanks. just put a merciful bullet into the head of this series and move on.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I understand the idea that Cloud would never have to see him, or really know he's there. But what Cloud re-constructed about Nibelheim is from what he saw and what he was told by Zack IIRC. I think Genesis's role was fairly important, and his entire omittence(?) from a re-telling, even if it is Cloud's fake events, would still seem odd. Like they purposely didn't include him for reasons other than "Well Cloud wouldn't have known he was there."

The notion that Cloud wouldn't have known he was there is doubly absurd because Cloud not only knew who Genesis was during the events of Crisis Core and met him during said events, but he was also knocked out defending Tifa from Genesis Copies in front of the Mt. Nibel mako reactor.

But all of that conveniently slipped away from his mind along with the very reason for Genesis's presence at the reactor? Bullshit.

For him to not even put himself in Zack's place of saving Tifa? Extra bullshit.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Call bullshit all you like, but why else would they be willing to stick him there? I know you'll say they didn't give a shit but SOMEONE did. Otherwise Sephiroth would have jumped and we would have had a boss fight against Jenova.

Saying Cloud MET Genesis is a bit of an overstatement, and the vast majority of Genesis Copies wore masks. Hard to believe Cloud has no memory of him? I guess, but I'd say the man with severe memory problems not knowing who Genesis is is a significantly smaller leap to make than the one that the entire world forgets who he was. If we're forced to accept that, why is it such bullshit to think that was their intent with Cloud?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm not talking about intent at all. The intent is obvious. How swallowable that intent becomes in execution is what our minds run up against. For some reason, this is one of those things -- as is the entire world just up and forgetting about Genesis after a few years -- that my mind has just never gotten around and I feel like I'm being insulted by SE every time I'm asked to.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'm not talking about intent at all. The intent is obvious. How swallowable that intent becomes in execution is what our minds run up against. For some reason, this is one of those things -- as is the entire world just up and forgetting about Genesis after a few years -- that my mind has just never gotten around and I feel like I'm being insulted by SE every time I'm asked to.

Yeah,I agree with the man if there is a reboot or remake Genesis defiantly has to go.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't think that would really solve Tres' problem. I'm already telling you that I don't think Genesis would appear in a remake at all BECAUSE we're told everyone forgot his existence.

Besides, you only don't like Genesis becuase you're convinced Crisis Core was trying to make you sympathize with him, which I still don't see. :monster:

Kittie

General Eccentric
AKA
The Iron Witch
Yeah,I agree with the man if there is a reboot or remake Genesis defiantly has to go.

Yeah, I never really understood the importance of Genesis' inclusion in the story, either. I actually have sort of a love/hate thing going on with his character. I mean, while I like certain aspects of his story, I feel that the Compilation would've probably been better off without him.

As for a remake/reboot, I'm fine either way, whether one is eventually done by SE or not. More than anything, I'd rather just see a definitive conclusion to the Compilation at this point.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, I have no doubt Genesis would be left out of the Nibelheim story in a remake. My issue with him is actually that he was never there the first time around, and it's really hard to believe that Cloud absorbed every other detail about the incident from Zack except that.

The only explanation that might save this whole thing is if Cloud just didn't think it worth mentioning since Sephiroth was the problem in the current situation rather than Genesis. I think I can almost buy that.

Still think it was a massive misfire to insert him in such an iconic scene. Likewise with having him influence Sephiroth's descent to madness.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
The only explanation that might save this whole thing is if Cloud just didn't think it worth mentioning since Sephiroth was the problem in the current situation rather than Genesis. I think I can almost buy that.
The problem is the player sees the re-telling in the flashback. I admit that Genesis might not be seen as important to Cloud regarding his telling of Sephiroth's story [if Genesis appeared in the original FFVII before the Compilation was written, he would be the most pointless character in the game], but missing him out when we see the flashback just wouldn't make sense.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Speaking of Makonoids, its weird that you didn't ever fight one during FFVII. I'd like to see that included in a remake, but not how they were in Crisis Core. Just on a return visit to Nibelheim or something. Like an easter egg.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I would only have Angeal be in there and tweek his personality a bit in the story.I can defiantly see him serving a purpose in the reboot.But that is just my opinion but I think I could tolerate Angeal if they tweeked him around a bit.

I also think that they should probably get rid of Grimoire Valentine and just put in Gast because the thing that has been daunting me is that it was said that Lucrecia was Gast's assitant but yet she wasn't shown working with him in Dirge of Cerebrus so I think Grimoire is an unnessary addition and that Gast should be more expanded upon.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
If I can make a request to SE regarding FFVII.. I wouldn't choose a remake or a reboot. I want them to uncanonize Crisis Core and Dirge. And everything wrong with the fucking Compilation. And that includes Genesis.

Yeah I know, unpopular opinion. I am having a bad day.

Top Bottom