Return to the Canyon - Red XIII/Nanaki fan club

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Well, quite. This was discussed on ACF, where it was pointed out by someone (can't remember who) that Nanaki's fur would have used the same animation program as Cait Sith's. That is all.

Well, after his "appearance" in Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, I don't think his appearances could become any more token, unless characters start just saying "oh, and by-the-way, Red says hi".

Hmm... next time you playthrough VII, have Barret in your party when you first go to Wutai
when Yuffie nicks your materia
, and Nananki will be the one to tell you that it's gone. Calm and collected? Not quite...

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
*BUMP*

Image:

3920214446.jpg

Cranequin

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I love Red <3 sign me up!

here's a pic of Nanaki that I used on Paint

Attachments

• Nanaki.JPG
    Nanaki.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 7

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Welcome to the Canyon, Cranequin and Cloudskye. ^_^ Hope you enjoy your time with us. Oh, and Cloudskye - the reason you missed the club for so long is probably due to how little posts have been made.

Ari - you're already a member. ^_^

Thanks for the pic Cranequin. ^_^ Pretty awesome, is it your own work?

megas_sephiroth

Pro Adventurer
Count me in! :)

I always wondered why Nanaki has so few lines in AC/C while they gave a whole bunch to "you know who" (seriously, I can't remember Reeve's cat's name)...

Edit: wait, I just did, it's Cait Sith.

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Welcome, megas_sephiroth! ^_^ Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Seriously?! Wait, they didn't add any dialogue for Nanaki in ACC??? :( That bites. Oh, and the figure of Nanaki is packaged with one of Cait Sith. :shifty:

Sheepy

Pro Adventurer
DDDD:

I didn't notice this club either. People should poast more often, Nanaki is awesome. :monster: That said, please count me in. =D

I was disappointed that he didn't have more lines in ACC too. :sadpanda: And Caith Sith should get out of his back imo. :monster:

Cranequin

Lv. 1 Adventurer
thanks for the compliments :lol:
yes the nanaki pic is my own work
i draw fanart frequently

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Welcome to the Canyon, spacesheep! ^_^ Hope you enjoy your time with us. Eh, and if anyone has any fanart... then please feel free to share...
I don't understand why Nanaki is carrying the damn thing anyway.
Well, it all began one night in stately Wayne Manor. A bat flew through the window, causing Nomura to realise that "criminals are a cowardly and superstitious sort". So, he picked up his zan-pakuto, said "SHAZAM!" and became Kira. Together with his Prinny cohorts, he launched an assault on Shibuya and installed himself as Composer. :awesome:

:lol: OK, I'll be serious now. But, the real reason is just as bizarre. An actual quote from AC's Reunion Files:
Tetsuya Nomura said:
Back when we were working on a game called "Parasite Eve", I thought it would be fun to create a game without any human characters in it, and came up with the idea of a cat riding on a dog to go on a quest. The concept of Cait Sith riding on Red XIII (Manti's note: whaaat?! You don't call him Nanaki?!) in this film actually spawned from that. ... But I guess since Red XIII is a feline of sorts, it would actually be a cat riding on a cat in this case. (laughs)
So there you go. :)

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
By my silliness, me being serious, or Nomura's reasoning? :huh: At least I left out the comment that "we decided not to use the moogle this time, these two appeared together".

What's really interesting (to me, at least) is Nanaki was originally due to appear at the same time as Vincent, saving Cloud at the Forgotten City. However, they felt the scene was complicated enough as it was(?!?!). OK, maybe it was complicated to animate, and that was what they meant... Vincent's cape is weird...

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
A club for Nanaki? Hell yea! ...can I join? He was in my party almost constantly. I loved that little wolf-thing and his somersaults!

I'd never heard that Nanaki had more scenes originally Manti, I wish they had kept him in the Forgotten City scene. Vinnie's cool, sure, but he has his own game. Giving a key character more than one line might've been a good idea too...

Sheepy

Pro Adventurer
I'm playing FFVII again and somehow Nanaki ended up being strongest member in my party. I have no idea how that happened, Cloud's usually the strongest. XD Not that I'm complaining, Nanaki's awesome. :monster:

Welcome to the club, Canon Fodder. =D

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I'm in da club? Sweet, didn't need a fake ID or anything :neom:

Nanaki was stronger than Cloud you say? What happened, you leave Cloud for dead or something?

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I personally like to think of him as a wolf, but I honestly think he's closer in body type to a lion. I thought I read some interview with Nomura somewhere where he specifically referred to Nanaki as a cat. I know you asked what we think, but I just thought I'd toss that out there...

Cranequin

Lv. 1 Adventurer
he could be a bit of both but that'll be a mystery I guess :loopy:
what I really hated was he wasn't in DoC the entire game and they gave him a three second part like they didn't feel like giving him a role one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of that game...

I always had Nanaki in my party
Cloud+Nanaki+Cid= Unstoppable!!!

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Welcome to the club, Cannon_Fodder. ^_^ I'm glad to see you're settling in well.
I personally like to think of him as a wolf, but I honestly think he's closer in body type to a lion. I thought I read some interview with Nomura somewhere where he specifically referred to Nanaki as a cat. I know you asked what we think, but I just thought I'd toss that out there...
Well, as for the Nomura interview, here's an extract I posted earlier...
Tetsuya Nomura said:
Back when we were working on a game called "Parasite Eve", I thought it would be fun to create a game without any human characters in it, and came up with the idea of a cat riding on a dog to go on a quest. The concept of Cait Sith riding on Red XIII (Manti's note: whaaat?! You don't call him Nanaki?!) in this film actually spawned from that. ... But I guess since Red XIII is a feline of sorts, it would actually be a cat riding on a cat in this case. (laughs)
So, yeah. Personally, before I heard Nanaki was considered a feline by the staff, I pegged him as being neither truly feline or canine - or at least, not by our standards. However, since then, I've given it a little thought.

It's easy to consider him a lion, part cos lions are arguably the best known of the big cats, part cos of the mane. However, Nanaki's mane is closer to a horse's mane than a lion's. So, it's probably more like the ruff that appears on the shoulders of cheetahs.

However, Nanaki is too muscular to be a cheetah. So, what about a tiger? Well, tigers are the biggest of the big cats, and I don't think Nanaki's that buff. :monster: Same for lions, really. In his build, I think Nanaki's closest to leopards/panthers. :) What are your opinions on my reasoning?
Of all the possible second parts too. Sitting there, being petted, by Shelke?! I was not amused
Hey, we redheads have to stick together. :monster:

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
Nanaki! I love him!! I hate how there's been relatively little of him after Final Fantasy VII, the original game. :(

Can I join? :D

Top Bottom