Return to the Canyon - Red XIII/Nanaki fan club

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
Sorry for the double post, but regarding Nanaki in the Case of Yuffie...

HE CAN USE A PHONE??? WTF??? But I really liked the interaction between Yuffie and Nanaki, and the way their Case-of stories tie in with each other... Never liked Yuffie much before, but she's grown on to me during the story...

... I really want to "ping" Nanaki's nose...

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Well, the Cait ones will hae to wait, I'm afraid, because I didn't know what you guys would want, so I only did a couple solo ones, and one comedy scene.

...and...

CAPTION
Nanaki: "I'm sorry Cloud, but it seems no-one has a cornucopia."
Cloud: high, squeaky voice "Bugger."
Sorry for the double post, but regarding Nanaki in the Case of Yuffie...

HE CAN USE A PHONE??? WTF??? But I really liked the interaction between Yuffie and Nanaki, and the way their Case-of stories tie in with each other... Never liked Yuffie much before, but she's grown on to me during the story...

:lol: I see no reason why he couldn't
use a phone
. Hell, the way he describes using it is pretty much the way any (decent) fanfic writer would use. And could you not like Yuffie? :( Yuffie-chan (and I *loved* how she referred to herself as that in OTWTAS) is awesome!

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Thanks for the pictures!

You know, in the last one, the angle makes it look kinda like a large Red XIII is going to eat a tiny little Cloud. ^_^ I like!

Hell, the way he describes using it is pretty much the way any (decent) fanfic writer would use.

That's exactly my point - or rather, opinion - the fact that he can use it seems straight out of a fanfic! I don't know, I suppose it's because I never saw Nanaki as a
mobile phone kinda person... creature... lion-cat-thing...

And could you not like Yuffie? :( Yuffie-chan (and I *loved* how she referred to herself as that in OTWTAS) is awesome!

I think it's because she ran off with my materia and stole some other shit from me during my first playthrough... Grr... But I thought Yuffie's character was fleshed out fairly well in the story, yeah... And I actually like her a LOT better now...

Incidentally, doesn't she also refer to herself as Yuffie-chan in AC(C?)? And is there a Yuffie fan club on TLS? *is too lazy to check*

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer

...You make it sound so dirty :wacky:

Anyway, back on topic, I've always been somewhat neutral on Yuffie. Sure she stole my shit and pissed me right the fuck off, but at the same time I was left kinda thinking, "Oh kids today. They'll do anything for attention..." After reading Case of Yuffie, I like her more, but not a whole lot more so.
I will give her serious props for her sacrifices though. She does so much for her people, before AND after they lock her up. That's epic.

But this is Nanaki's club, so I such probably talk about him. :awesome:
I cannot say how happy Nanaki made me in Case of Yuffie. Not only did it have a great tie in with Case of Nanaki, but his dealings with Yuffie were perfect. It showed his down-to-earth wisdom to balance out his naivety from Case of Nanaki. I liked how quickly your perception of him changes when you don't know what he's thinking.

And it has to be said: the phone. I think you guys are missing the biggest problem here. Sure they explained how he dials the phone, I'm fine with that even. But if it's in a holder around his neck, how does he get it out?:shifty:

Finally, I'll finish this rambling post by saying thanks for the pictures! Last one made me lawl. Can't wait to see the Cait ones!

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
About Nanaki and the
phone... Yeah, I meant how the hell does he do everything - how does he take it out, and can he text message? :D Who charges his phone? Though I guess that wouldn't be THAT hard... And maybe he has voice commands and shit, or something...

Anyway I still want to ping Nanaki's nose, no matter how weird it sounds :wacky: ...

PING.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
No, I don't think there is a Yuffie fan club here. It's on my list of "to do" things. :) And, I haven't seen ACC yet, so I can't comment (but it's released over here Monday, so w00t!). As for why I like Yuffie... :lol: I have a thing for fictional genki girls. Real-life genki girls, not so much... :P Yuffie, Vincent and Nanaki are my three favourite FFVII characters.

Well,
that question about how he gets the phone out... is a very good point. O_o Mebbe his tail is prehensile? :huh:

But you're right, CF. Hell, just about anyone seems cooler out of their own heads - oh, except me. I still seem like a geek, then. :awesome:

And I'm glad you guys like the pics. ^_^
You guys remind me of Lucy in Peanuts, keep beeping Snoopy's nose... :awesome:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
I knew you would! Who wouldn't? ^_^
Me. :P I'm far too respectful to do such a thing. :awesome: *scratches Nanaki behind the ears* ^_^

NANAKI: "...Stop that, it's embarrassing..."
Then I hope he can turn that flame-thingy off, or
that his phone is fire-proof...!
O_o Ooh, good point. Mind you, I always thought of it as biolumenesence (sp?) - y'know, not actually on fire, but there's some bacteria or something that glow and are in a symbiotic relationship with his species.

###EDIT###

Ignore the biolumenesence....lumenesensce... whatever idea... I rewatched parts of AC last night, and I saw the flame flickering. I blame the loss of my theory on my new(ish) HD-Ready TV, as the screen's a lot bigger than my old one, too.:P

OK, images:

Cait Sith solo: this is entitled "Interchangable parts, my ass!"

Having me use multiple figures in a shot is always a bad idea... there'll always be a gag of some kind...
CAIT: "Eh? Speak up!"

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Of course, by all means. ^_^ Welcome to the Canyon, Nanaki. Hope you enjoy your time with us.

...Eh, I think we'll have to call you "Indy" to avoid confusion, if that's OK... :) And I take it you aren't AKA Kuba, as well...

For those of you who don't know - Kuba was a staff member/mod at ACF, and used "Nanaki" as his member name... He kinda ran the Cosmo Canyon club there, 'til he had to leave for stuff he was doing IRL (to help tigers, though, so :awesome: ) and left the place in my hands. It'd be nice to have him back. :)

...Ok, went off on a bit of a tangent there, so, sorry. ^_^

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Randomly, from another thread:

So, I randomly today found some super old magazines from 1997-1998 (guess which game they were reviewing?). They call one of the characters 'a talking dog with the intelligence of a man'.

o_O

Nanaki would've flipped.

Okay, so he wouldn't have flipped. He might've been a bit offended, though.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Randomly, from another thread:

So, I randomly today found some super old magazines from 1997-1998 (guess which game they were reviewing?). They call one of the characters 'a talking dog with the intelligence of a man'.

o_O

Nanaki would've flipped.

Okay, so he wouldn't have flipped. He might've been a bit offended, though.

Hmm, I'm sensing some epic fail somewhere I'm just not sure of the source. It couldn't possibly be that 'review' from that magazine, could it?....could it?

And for what its worth Manti, you've been doing a great job of maintaining the club in that other guys absence. (Tigers?! really? that's pretty cool actually...) Just a question based on the Cait pictures... he can't ride Nanaki, can he? Plus, isn't he kinda oversized or am I just bad with relative heights?

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
:lol: Well, thanks for sharing that, powerslave. 'Course, what you have to remember is, there's nothing in the original game that classifies Nanaki as either a feline or a canine. It's only been in recent interviews that Nomura has clarified Nanaki as being a type of big cat. :)

Hell, there's some fanart done pre-AC that makes Nanaki look considerably more canine, and some that make him look more feline (based on whether the artist drew on lions or wolves as anatomical models).
And for what its worth Manti, you've been doing a great job of maintaining the club in that other guys absence. (Tigers?! really? that's pretty cool actually...) Just a question based on the Cait pictures... he can't ride Nanaki, can he? Plus, isn't he kinda oversized or am I just bad with relative heights?
^_^ Thanks. And yes, tigers - he was going to Indonesia, I think, to help at a preservation.

As for Cait... well, I think he could be positioned to ride on Nanaki's back, but you're right, the Cait figure is out of scale to Nanaki.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
True, that... But I never thought of Nanaki as a dog - did you? Dog-like creature would've been forgivable...

Oh, and Nanaki strikes me as more intelligent than most men. :P

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
:lol: No, but I never thought of him as a cat, either. I always thought of him before as a unique type of creature - one containing a mix of feline and canine traits. :)

:P Tell me about it. Especially George W. Mind you, he's more intelligent than most women, too. :awesome:

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
:P Tell me about it. Especially George W. Mind you, he's more intelligent than most women, too. :awesome:

Who's more intelligent than most women - Nanaki or the bush? ;)

I know, I know, you meant Nanaki... I hope. :D

Btw, has anyone here played Before Crisis, and knows more about Nanaki from that game?

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Lol, definitely Nanaki. I've met planks of wood more intelligent than GWB... :P

Well, if you remember, you were the one who supplied me with the BC game script, so, no. I haven't played BC. :awesome:

But you saying that makes me think of a new complaint - in Reminisence of the Compilation, I can't remember Nanaki being in even one clip! >_>

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Yup, I remember, I'm just wondering if anyone remembered/knew anything that couldn't be gleaned from the script...

You know, I still haven't watched the Compilation Reminiscence thingy. Shame on me, I'll fire up my PS3 and do it right now,and keep an eye out for Nanaki...

Lol, definitely Nanaki. I've met planks of wood more intelligent than GWB... :P

Well, if you remember, you were the one who supplied me with the BC game script, so, no. I haven't played BC. :awesome:

But you saying that makes me think of a new complaint - in Reminisence of the Compilation, I can't remember Nanaki being in even one clip! >_>

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
'Fraid not. I meant to have another watch of the reminisence last night myself, but I forgot to. But, I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Or, it was a blink and you miss him appearence.

OK, I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but it sounds like Nanaki yelps at one point while fighting Bahamut SIN. :( Poor Nanaki. Also, I realised while watching ACC again how unfortunate Nanaki is being ridden by Cait Sith. We all think of Cait as being a plsuh, but there's a lot of robotics in there, too. So, when Cait is slamming his hands down on Nanaki's head on the Shera, that must hurt.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Kinda makes you wonder...who does Nanaki prefer giving rides to? Cait Sith or Yuffie? Scottish robot or teenage ninja...tough call.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Kinda makes you wonder...who does Nanaki prefer giving rides to? Cait Sith or Yuffie? Scottish robot or teenage ninja...tough call.

Neither. He prefers to give rides to me. Sri Lankan software engineer. :wacky:

Btw, doesn't Yuffie once say she wants to pick on Nanaki to let off steam?

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
...Do we really want to talk about Nanaki being ridden by Yuffie...? Seriously, that could really... TRULY... be taken the wrong way... But I know who I'd prefer on my back. :P

Yeah, Yuffie does make a crack about picking on Nanaki to let off steam on the Highwind (speak to her any time on disc 3). I've always taken it as affectionate teasing, as she and Nanaki are the two "youngest" team members - remember, by his species' standards, Nanaki's actually younger than Yuffie! (I think Bugenhagen said Nanaki's age was equivilant to 14 years old, in human terms?)

This just in folks; apparently Red XIII can't swim!

If your grey submarine gets destroyed Cloud will have everyone shot out to safety on a speeding torpedo. :monster:
Red XIII will then remark,
"I can't swim..."

Interesting, hmyess.

Top Bottom