smilies anyone?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Masa, funny as the vid was xD I'm afraid I'm gonna have to say that aaron's doing what he can to balance it out. I'm gonna miss afro monster though, but its not worth keeping him if its going to stir up a riot here and cause friction between people.

He didn't lose em, he's got em as tight as steeeeeeeeeel

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Masa, funny as the vid was xD I'm afraid I'm gonna have to say that aaron's doing what he can to balance it out. I'm gonna miss afro monster though, but its not worth keeping him if its going to stir up a riot here and cause friction between people.

0:00 - 0:25 @ this thread.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
ogreat

vid spam

Also Aki it would have been nice if you kept that conversation in the shoutbox over here, :monster: Just sayin'

On the subject of that smiley, again, no-one here uses it with the intent of belittling homosexuality (tbh I always visualised it as that OH U sort of emote. Do we have one of those?). Contextually it wasn't being used maliciously, and though one could say a word or two on how we are quite blase (with that fancy e, idk it's 2.30am for me here) with racial/ethnic/sexuality slurs, people here demonstrated that they simply didn't personally percieve it as offensive or understand why it was offensive to others. I don't believe for a second that anyone in this thread is *dictating* what other people's perceptions are. Practically everything within the past two pages is opinion (and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of double standards to which I'm guilty of, :awesome:).

To suggest that we're somehow committing hate crimes every time we make some off-hand ethnic joke or portray any race/gender/orientation using some form of stereotype feels like an affront, tbh. But like Aaron said, I guess. If it really rubs a sore spot like this for Aki I guess we should take it down.

Also, I'm starting to get off topic, but can someone explain to me how exactly a limp wrist is some form of negative connotation against gay people, besides the effeminate connotations? I'm not disagreeing per se, I just can't really see it from my perspective, since I don't really surround myself with a society mired in debilitating sexual discrimination.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Simply put, if someone called someone a "limp-wristed faggot" they would get a warning. Regardless of whether that is the intent behind the pink monster emote, that is the message it sends to various people. If people want to create versions of the emotes that do not perpetuate negative stereotypes I will be happy to add them, but the extant ones did, so they had to go.

Actually I forgot Masa made the pink monster without the limp wrist. Adding that one as :pinkmonster:.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Maybe just make a separate regular monster emote going "oh u"

like I mentioned just before that would be pretty sweet :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
tumblr_lttb7vDbcx1qboclpo1_250.gif

tumblr_lttb7vDbcx1qboclpo2_250.gif

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
As long as there's a pink cookie monster I'm happy. :pinkmonster: That's all I ever really wanted. >w>
yeah the pink monster itself is cute, i just don't like the limp-wristed one

ty aaron for removing it, it really means a lot to me and it was upsetting me at work, cause im sensitive to shit like that. and i really shouldn't be but lol ive had a lot of things to stress about lately and i didn't need something else to worry about :awesome:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I thought the limp wrist on the Pink monster was because of the 'oh you meme'....

O_U.jpg

But yeah I can see why it would be offensive.

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
There was a time where everyone used Che Guevara's shirts. We should make Emotes of him I think ...

Or this kind of toons:
challenge-accepted-1.png

?

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Whats happening? We're getting rid of the gays and blacks now?:huh:

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
Well, I don't have any objections with the measure taken, it's pretty much the best solution to this issue. I liked the icon (and just for the record, I actually liked the afromonster) but if it offends somebody, then what else we can do.

I still see it as something pretty tame, inocuous, inoffensive, and I think no one on this thread used the icon with bad intentions, BUUUT I know that it certainly can mean a lot to a lot of people out there and they have all the right to think so.

In any case, the most important thing (IMO) was made clear even from the beggining; no one was using the emote with malicious intentions, so I hope we can move on.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
320628_865046577814_25310467_38452799_2141723262_n.jpg

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
images

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
psh you're just takin it all personal cause you made it

:monster:

Alexia Ashford

SOMEONE IN THE CORRIDOR?
AKA
Konneh
Okay, I just wanted to say that I don't see why the limp wrist has to be offensive. I mean, girls do that all the time. Maybe it was just a girl cookie monster.
I do it myself personally. I don't see why it's offensive, tbqh
Also, there's no such thing as something that is not offensive to anybody. No matter what you do there will always be someone who is offended by it.

Vendel

Banned
As a cat I find the exploitation of my people for your amusement very offensive. I want all of these removed.

:kittyhug::smugkat::fatalex::tigger::tiggereeyore::kittenpounce:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Okay, I just wanted to say that I don't see why the limp wrist has to be offensive.
Because it's a stereotype routinely used to belittle gay people. It is used as a reason to imply that gay people are inferior to straight people.

I mean, girls do that all the time. Maybe it was just a girl cookie monster.
Yeah, no one is likely to interpret it that way.

Also, there's no such thing as something that is not offensive to anybody. No matter what you do there will always be someone who is offended by it.
Even accepting your premise here, which I find unlikely, this is a very poor reason not to try to avoid presenting derogatory stereotypes, because there is such a thing as something that does not present any legitimate reason for any more than a small handful of people to be offended by it. And it is quite easy to distinguish between something that very obviously contains a harmful stereotype, and therefore presents a legitimate reason for many people to be offended, and something that does not.

Top Bottom