Sony/Anonymous Nonsense & the PSN Outage ... also GeoHotz

ForceStealer

Double Growth
In my defense, I somehow missed your post.

How is that 'in your defense'?

And no, I don't think Geohot did this current hacking, nor do I think it was part of some master plan of his. But PSN was hacked using PS3s reset to dev specs because of the code he posted. So he is partly responsible, and it is why Sony were not "bullies" for telling him to knock it the hell off.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
In my defense, I somehow missed your post.

@ your analogy, I don't think he is responsible. I think he's a fucking idiot for releasing that information. I don't know the guy and me being me, I'd assume he did something stupid before he did something to be a jerk.

I can dig that.

Paintball just got real...

The key is this guy MAY have been responsible for shutting down all the paintball... or online stuff. We don't know yet. I think people are blaming him too soon. For all we know this is one huge coincidence that would have happened regardless of Hotz tinkering. I just like to have all the facts before I say for sure whether or not I'm pissed at someone.

I don't know this guy, I don't know what his intentions are. Maybe he really is a jerk who wanted to take Sony down and had this malicious plan all along. I just know, I have a bf who's a tinkerer, and I can see him doing something like this with no malicious intent whatsoever. So, maybe it's my bias, but that's just how I see it.

Oh, I don't blame him directly for it, even if the Reboot Firmware was used. I would still say that it's his fault that it's happening at all, and he could have taken measures to prevent it, but he's not the one to blame for it.

I know plently of other people who customize/hack/etc systems. I used to play all sorts of old NES/Atari games on my friend's modded original Xbox. However, everyone I know is aware that doing that means that it may at some point prevent the system from playing online at all. The few people I know who are actually involved in the technical side of things are damn careful with how they use what they find, and that's what I didn't/don't like about Geohotz. He's pretty famous for cracking the iPhone at a young age, and it obviously went to his head. The way the whole thing was done is what makes it a thoughtless ego boost, because he didn't seem to consider the ramification of what his actions meant for other people.

EDIT: This seems like it needs some cliche quote about, "With great power knowledge of hacking comes great responsibility (for how it should be used)." or "The road to (legal) hell is paved with (supposedly) good (yet short-sighted) intentions."

@ the government getting involved:

I'm actually glad about this. I really do hope they find these people. And I hope those responsible are shitting themselves right now.

Ditto.

X :neo:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
For anyone who uses PSN

So I've just received this email from the Playstation Network, has anyone else received it and if not do you think I should contact my bank, and cancel my card to be on the safe side, or play it by ear and see if money actually starts going missing?

psn said:
Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Calm down, do yourself a favor, and read this thread. That's what it's all about.

(Merged with the relevant thread)

Personally, I'd wait on doing anything with the Credit Card unless you SEE an unauthorized charge, or until they release anything that officially states that the credit card information's been compromised.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Yeah i've just realised, I've been offline for a couple of weeks and was wondering why I couldn't get on the PSN, checked my emails and was like ohhhh fook, but cheers sorry about the momentary state of panic, I'm now gonna read through this thread.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I want to eat the brains of whoever did this bullshit.

They should be fed to pack of zombies. Maybe some flesh eating Witches, Boomers, Hunters and Spitters.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
And if you think so, we've got some threads for you to go post in that are not this thread. ;)
(Posted, because zombie conversation has been rapidly filling posts today, and I'd like to keep this thread on topic).

I've also renamed the thread to explain everything that it actually covers.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
After spending time reading this thread, I've decided to play it by ear and check the balance on my account at least twice a week and get statements, I'm gonna go and change all my passwords to any accounts I've got online. I've also decided I'm never again going to use my card on the PSN, its lucky my card's expiration date is up in January, so i'll be getting a new card at the start of 2012, but until then obviously I'm gonna keep a really close eye on things.

I think its an absolute disgrace at what's happened and I hope these bastards get caught.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Replace "danke schoen" with "schadenfreude" for great justice. :awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_giioppT4

I'll be keeping my card, as I already keep a pretty close eye on my transactions. With the amped up security, and all the extra reasons Sony has to prevent this from happening again, I don't really fear using one for PSN in the future.

After spending time reading this thread, I've decided to play it by ear and check the balance on my account at least twice a week and get statements, I'm gonna go and change all my passwords to any accounts I've got online. I've also decided I'm never again going to use my card on the PSN, its lucky my card's expiration date is up in January, so i'll be getting a new card at the start of 2012, but until then obviously I'm gonna keep a really close eye on things.

I think its an absolute disgrace at what's happened and I hope these bastards get caught.

If nothing else, it's a good habit to get into to keep an eye on your credit card stuff even when you don't have reason to think it's been compromised.

You just never know if that one store you went to last week got hit. It does happen. Credit card companies are pretty good at either stopping your account when fraudulent charges have been made because they look suspicious, or calling you to double check. They don't catch everything though so that's why you need to keep on it yourself.

My card about a year ago got $400 taken off from a bank machine in cash. Took them the weekend to get it back (and really, could have been sooner but it was the weekend). They even gave me extra overdraft for my debt for the weekend in case I needed it before they fixed the problem.

I always use online banking and check at least 3 times a week. Takes two seconds, but at least I'll know the moment there's money gone I don't remember spending.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I'll just be checking more often and make sure nothing seems amiss. Also might keep a bit less money in checking too, just so the bastards couldn't get away with too much even if they tried.
And yeah, like you say, between the embarrassments and lawsuits and fines and whatnot, when all this settles PSN should be safer than it ever was.

Someone got my number once before somehow. But my bank called me when a $400 Coach bag from a shop in Arizona appeared on my card :monster:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I'm lucky enough that I work 5 days a week and there's an atm right beside my work so I can check my balance nearly everyday if I want. I'm also lucky that my bank is literally a 5 minute walk from my house so its not a problem for me to speak to anyone in it if there is a problem with my account. My card is a debit card so if the money isn't in my account nothing can be withdrawn that includes paying for stuff online. I get a large statement from my bank for everything I've withdrawn every 3 months so I can look over my spendings so if anything is really amiss I'll know right away.

Its scary to think though that a big corporate organisation that many would trust for security issues would allow this to happen though.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^Exactly, I said it earlier. Sony may have been lazy. And if that's the case, fine them, sue them, whatever. Go for it. But when you get right down to it, if hackers set their collective mind on something, no amount of protection is going to stop them.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Depending on your bank you might be okay. I actually called Wells Fargo and asked them about it and I guess they have a high-security alert or whatever about this. They're watching all accounts closely for fraud and have said that should any fraudulent purchases appear to report it immediately and it will be dealt with.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I'll be checking my stuff everyday too. Although I have a credit union, not a bank so they're very tight with security. I've gotten calls on stuff that I bought that they felt were not kosher with my "usual" purchases.

Force said:
Someone got my number once before somehow. But my bank called me when a $400 Coach bag from a shop in Arizona appeared on my card

I get my bags for $10 at Target :monster:

One time, someone bought plane tickets to somewhere overseas (I forget where) with my dad's card, and they called literally two seconds after the charge went through. My dad was like HAHA THEY KNOW I DON'T EVER GO ANYWHERE.

Plus it's a credit card. IF someone uses your card information, the company who takes the order and charges the card needs proof it was you who did it. That's why there are pins and signatures.

And why online shopping is still a little risky for the online store especially for digital products or products shipped somewhere that is not the address of the cardholder.

Basically, the information the hackers can obtain isn't enough for the credit card company to be fooled and you to lose the money. The only way you'd have problems is if you left it too long before reporting it.

In the end, just trying to explain my experiences in retail and personal bank issues so you guys aren't as worried. You do need to be careful, but no one who is good at checking their balances every now and then is going to lose anything IF your information was taken from this hacker business. Be prepared, don't be worried or freaked out. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom