Sony/Anonymous Nonsense & the PSN Outage ... also GeoHotz

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Lucky Yurpeenz.

Sony will apologize to its PlayStation Network account holders in Europe by handing out free games, the company announced on its official blog today, while it sorts out the logistics of its identity theft protection program. So, what will you get, Europe?

"We will be offering PSN users the opportunity to select two PS3 games from a list of five, as well as offering PSP users the opportunity to choose two games from a list of four," writes Sony Computer Entertainment Europe communications head Nick Caplin. "We will let you know exactly what games are available very soon."

Also:

Even Ex-Anon Hackers say it was Anon. (The Kotaku article has a link to the full news story that's a decent read).

Two long-time members of hacker group Anonymous tell the Financial Times that members of the loosely organized entity are likely behind the hacking attack on Sony, despite the group's official denials.

"The hacker that did this was supporting OpSony's movements," one member of Anonymous told the FT, naming the group that went after Sony earlier this year, adding that he had seen technical details of a the vulnerability that enabled the break-in discussed on an Anonymous chatroom shortly before the intrusion.

Another member told the FT that the attack on Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services could have been perpetrated by other members of the group.

"If you say you are Anonymous, and do something as Anonymous, then Anonymous did it," said the hacker, who uses the online nickname Kayla. "Just because the rest of Anonymous might not agree with it, doesn't mean Anonymous didn't do it."

X :neo:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Wonder what games we'll be able to choose from? Probably nothing big, but hey, 4 games...for free! =P

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
It'd be better if they just let us choose our own 4 games for free but ah well beggers can't be choosers eh?

In terms of Anonymous, they can deny having anything to do with it as much as they want it still doesn't change the fact that they were an instigator in this whole thing.....

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
"If you say you are Anonymous, and do something as Anonymous, then Anonymous did it," said the hacker, who uses the online nickname Kayla. "Just because the rest of Anonymous might not agree with it, doesn't mean Anonymous didn't do it."
I don't completely agree with this. If I did something and said I was "TLS," does that mean TLS did it?... actually wait, does it?

But it still could be some rogue anon member, that doesn't mean they ALL should be responsible. But yes they did start it so... yeah fuck whoever did it. Personally I don't understand why this all got started in the first place. I guess it started with Hotz, but ... I don't get how it lead from what he did to stealing credit card numbers and ruining PSN for everyone.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Everyone in anonymous is a "rogue" anonymous member. It's what they get for trying to straddle being both an organization and not at the same time.

Members of an organization are frequently assumed to represent them. And if Anonymous are going to release statements as though they were an organization, they had better get used to it.

And TLS got labeled for something I said once, so I'd say yes.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
To further exacerbate this comparison, Anon is like if everyone in TLS was an equally permissioned mod, and we loosely knew each other, but no one knew who was who, and the organizational structure we had was who knew more or less about the general goings on, and there was no "leader" of TLS.

When some of the mods did or organized things and claimed TLS as responsible for those actions, TLS would be responsible. Since the majority agreed with them TLS would claim it as something that TLS did as a group. Overall, just being a Mod gives you the ability to represent the group.

However, if some of the Mods went out and did something that the majority may not have agreed with, yet those Mods claimed TLS as being responsible, TLS as an organization is still technically responsible, because those people who did it are still TLS Mods.

What they're saying is that the people who did it were TLS Mods. Whether or not TLS overall agrees with it and claims or denies responsibility. That's the problem with the Anonymous type organization and trying to be both everyone and no one. You have to own up to the responsibility when one of the random members does something in your name, because there's no hierarchical structure.

(This is why most other organizations have a tiered structure of power).

X :neo:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Yeah okay I guess that makes sense then. It's just I used to have this problem on my Sonic forum where one or two of my members would go out and do something stupid and say it was in the name of FUS... so I'd have to ban them :monster:
I always hated being held responsible for that.

Yeah okay I guess that makes sense then. It's just I used to have this problem on my Sonic forum where one or two of my members would go out and do something stupid and say it was in the name of FUS... so I'd have to ban them :monster:
I always hated being held responsible for that.

But in that case they aren't on the same level as regular members of Anonymous. The comparison to forums only works so far, because their 'organization' just had a very unique structure.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I like Sony. They're totally feeling guilty for the downtime of their free online service. Western countries would totally pull the 'Well yeh it's free and there's no uptime guarantee in our TOS so hah pwnt'-card and be done with it.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
If I did something and said I was "TLS," does that mean TLS did it?... actually wait, does it?
Is this like the way people trash TLS on other forums for being openly hostile and intolerant of Cleriths because of the way that the people in the LTD (one thread with a minority of members) behave towards them?

Jesus fuck

http://ca.kotaku.com/5799891/the-psn-may-not-be-100-back-until-may-31

Kotaku said:
The PlayStation Network has been down for a while now. We've been warned that it may be down for a little while longer. Now Sony says it could be weeks still before the PSN is fully operational. Sony's Shigenori Yoshida has told Bloomberg that his company's deadline for the full return of all PlayStation Network services is May 31. The PSN went down on April 20. That's nearly six weeks of downtime if it takes that long for the entire network to be restored to full operation.
While you'd assume/hope that signing into the network and playing games online are the first things to come back up, Yoshida says that Sony is "uncertain" when the PSN will actually get back up and running.

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
This is far too fucking ridiculous. The month of free PS+ is not enough payment to justify being down for over a month.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Appropriate:

53693.jpg

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Anonymous made another incredibly wordy and condescending statement.

Yesterday, an article appeared in Financial Times, alleging Anonymous' involvement in the data and identity theft of some hundred million users of Sony's Playstation Network and Sony Online Entertainment. This crime is now being investigated by the Homeland Security Agency (HSA), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and other legal entities.

Once again Anonymous has been blamed for a security breach, this time by the journalist Joseph Menn, in his article "Hackers point finger over Sony incursion" [1]. Here, Anonymous wishes to lay out our case against these allegations and false assumptions:

First, let us consider a different article by Menn published on the Financial Times website and entitled "Hackers Warned of Arrest" [2]. This poor piece of journalism has already been extensively referenced in the Sony matter and is being used by many people who oppose Anonymous as proof of guilt. The only quoted source used by Menn was the now infamous Aaron Barr, former CEO of the humiliated HBGary. Barr made the claim that a chat room called #anonymous, founded by the identity "Q", was irrefutable proof that this "Q" began the movement known as Anonymous. Confident in his assertion, he attempted to sell this and other pieces of so-called "intelligence" about the nature of Anonymous to the U.S. FBI.

His information, however, was incorrect. It would be considered common knowledge that Anonymous began as a "meme", or shared belief, at the turn of the century and later developed to become a "global collective conscience" in 2006. But it was not until 2008 that Anonymous became a true display of "power in numbers". Organised protests against the "Church" of Scientology were staged in over 140 cities around the world, forever associating the Guy Fawkes mask and the right to protest with the movement.

Second, just like Anonymous, John Doe and Joe Bloggs are placeholders, rather than proper names, and are available for free use without repercussions. However because of this, there is no membership to Anonymous and anyone can claim to be a "member". It could be said that "Anonymous is anonymous to Anonymous".

Barr and Menn did not pause to protect the integrity of their professions, but instead made clearly misinformed assumptions, and accordingly published a factually incorrect article. The article was highly scrutinized as being blatantly biased against Anonymous and its participants, and many readers pointed out obvious inconsistencies in the technicalities, and the physical time line.

Third, in the primary article, Menn claims that a "member" of Anonymous, Kayla, made comments as an apparent admission of guilt from the "leaders". Kayla reportedly said, "If you say you are Anonymous, and do something as Anonymous, then Anonymous did it". This statement is inherently weak; an equivalent statement would be that "I confess to being human. Humans performed the attack". Andy Greenburg at Forbes [3] got it right.

Finally, Menn's reference to "technical details" [1] regarding a vulnerability in Sony's network without revealing actual content isn't useful. Until the forensics reports are released we don't know which exploit was used. The forensic investigators need to conclude their work, and speculation in articles, blogs and comments brings the factual results no closer.

Menn's anonymous source claims that "a few ops disappeared" but so has a solid chunk of software infrastructure including NickServ and channel bots over attacks during the PSN outages. Menn's other quotes are a vague mixture of assertions and denials. During the PSN downtime, Anonymous closed #opsony and put "sony" on the automatic kick list as 'profanity' last week.

Is all of this attention on Anonymous acting as a distraction from other problems, and overhyping the nature of the DDoS attacks? Sony's recurring issues are beyond providing free game credits:

In order to process credit cards, every company needs to be PCI compliant. "If you are a merchant that accepts payment cards, you are required to be compliant with the PCI Data Security Standard" [4]. Since Sony's network was "unpatched and had no firewall installed" [5], that is a clear violation of the PCI standards and ongoing reviews [4], thus likely to be criminal negligence [see Further Reading]. More importantly, "I can't think of a major data breach where the company was PCI compliant," said Ira Rothken, the lead attorney handling the class action lawsuit [6].

Sony has been accused of false billing, especially in the repairs department: customers who provided credit card details for an MMORPG are charged $150 for repairs to PS3s that they don't own; repairs are double billed and then referred to retailers; equipment is charged $150 multiple times (2-4) for repairs that aren't performed. [7 and Further Reading]

A decent credit card transaction gateway includes recurring billing as an option. Data mining by corporations has a profit motive, but as Sony has demonstrated it can be a massive liability. Why not start a discussion about corporate responsibility to protect user information, especially since they didn't need it to begin with?

Sony's response to the U.S. Senate [8] is to request more laws and further the myth of "best practices." Since Sony was warned of security holes months in advance [5], one of those "best practices" would be to accept the advice of the experts. In Sony's passing the blame there is no justification for the collection and retention of personal information they didn't need.

Outraged about the blatant coverup and shameful misdeeds, other internet hacker groups will apparently proceed with attacks [9] over Sony's mishandling of the matter. These reactions prove that requesting legislation to cover up corporate crimes and the abuse of law is frowned upon by all online communities, not just the Legion of Anonymous. Apparently Sony will have to learn the hard way that corporate malfeasance will not go unpunished. When the dust settles Sony may have more to fear from a massive class action lawsuit by their user base than the brief actions of the Global Hacker Nerd Brigade, Anonymous... Let THE GAMEs begin. :>

Knowledge is free.

We are Anonymous.

We are Legion.

We do not forgive.

We do not forget.

Expect us.

The only reason I even give it the time of day is because I can't believe they can't figure out that when you're releasing a statement claiming your innocence, ending it on a threat is freaking stupid.
Let the games begin? Expect us? Really? And you expect people to stop blaming you? Please shut up already and stop pretending you're a legitimate organization.

blargh

The only reason I even give it the time of day is because I can't believe they can't figure out that when you're releasing a statement claiming your innocence, ending it on a threat is freaking stupid.
Let the games begin? Expect us? Really? And you expect people to stop blaming you? Please shut up already and stop pretending you're a legitimate organization.

blargh

Quoting because I wish I could multi-thank.

PEOPLE HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE YOU ARE INVOLVED. That doesn't mean you are being arrested. It means they have reason to suspect you. The best thing you could do is help them along, in finding the real people responsible, and allowing them to check you out to prove your innocence. Because, you have nothing to hide, right?

morons

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
oh my fucking god this cannot be the decent anon at all

it ended on a the game joke ffs that stopped being funny in 2007

it's a bunch of retarded newfags who just learned how to code in C++ and feel like hot shit

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Is this like the way people trash TLS on other forums for being openly hostile and intolerant of Cleriths because of the way that the people in the LTD (one thread with a minority of members) behave towards them?

I AM TLS

MOHAMMED IS A CUNT

Top Bottom