Sony/Anonymous Nonsense & the PSN Outage ... also GeoHotz

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Eidos has nothing to do with Sony, so I wonder if these hackers are starting to branch out, since its obvious no one can catch them, what's to stop them from hitting everyone?

Nothing's stopping them, though just like with any other crime the more often you commit it the easier it becomes for the authorities to catch you, even when hiding behind your random half-dozen proxies.

Plus, hacking well-defended systems takes time and effort, so could be they just cbad to do it more often.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
If all companies have security holes and all it takes is time, how come you don't see hackers just using time, patience and just plain brute force in trying to break their way into a corporate banking server and trying to get personally sensitive data that way?

Or trying to break in and get personal data off of another corporate internet site such as google? It took government sponsored Chinese hackers to manage to get just a tiny portion of the millions of gmail account Google keeps under digital lock and key in their servers.

The point I'm making is apparently there seems to be several noticeable chinks in the armor that's supposed to be protecting our data with game software companies and this Sony hack job has exposed it.

Yeah, its not all Sony's fault, but as several news reports have revealed, Sony had a piss poor security job. There's a reason why people are pissed the hell off at Sony for not fully securing the personal data of PSN users and not keeping their encryption and shit up to date.

If all it took was just enough time and energy, then hell, hackers would've had this shit already. That's bullcrap.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ahhh, well I missed that post :monster:

However, there still needs to be something learned from this. Not just from Sony, but all gaming companies. The amount of security necessary to deter criminal hackers like these, probably needs to be turned up to 11. This shit is serious and as long as companies don't change, there will be more assholes who'll keep trying to get this data.

All members of the industries should be looking at themselves and asking, "is our data REALLY safe?"

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
If all companies have security holes and all it takes is time, how come you don't see hackers just using time, patience and just plain brute force in trying to break their way into a corporate banking server and trying to get personally sensitive data that way?

That's somewhat what my previous post was about, but I'm not sure what specific differences you might be indicating if you looked through it.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
All members of the industries should be looking at themselves and asking, "is our data REALLY safe?"

Depends on your definition of 'safe'. With systems as big as PSN - and there's much, much bigger systems out there - you've got dozens of access points in one form of another to the system, thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people with some degree of administrative access, dozens of datacenters with each dozens of employees, and a gazillion nodes between servers and end-users. It's hard enough to even get a full picture of the whole thing, let alone secure it all.

I'm actually amazed that Google or Facebook or a similar giant data-hoarding organization like that hasn't been hacked yet. Of course, they're currently less interesting to hackers because they (usually) don't contain credit card information or another direct means of income, but still.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yes, I updated my firmware - after which they said you should change your password. But I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to do that if I can't sign into the service in the first place.

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
I think they said you'll be forced to do it once the PSN is back up

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
online music service but you have to pay for it

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
I'd like for Louisiana to have service again. I really miss Black Ops. And FIFA 11. =/

EDIT: Buaha! Now I can commence the carnage!

Last edited:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I'm not a hardcore online gamer anyway, so I don't mind PSN taking their time to prevent this happening again. I cancelled my card as well. No one's touched it, but just to be on the safe side.

I am curious about what free games they're gonna offer. No doubt they'll be shitty ones developed by Sony, but hey.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
We already heard about this, but here are some more details:

Publisher Square Enix has confirmed reports that its Deus Ex: Human Revolution product site as well as parts of its Eidos Montreal studio site were the victims of a cyber attack yesterday, compromising roughly 25,000 email addresses and a few hundred resumes. And according to one cyber security expert, a splinter group of hacker activist organization Anonymous is responsible.

Visitors to the Deus Ex: Human Revolution site yesterday morning were greeted by a strange message on the home page which read: Owned By Chippy1337. The message also listed the names of the hackers responsible for the attack, including the real name of a supposed Anonymous "leader," Ryan Cleary. However, according to former Washington Post cyber security writer Brian Krebs, who now runs the Krebs on Security website, the names belong to a group of Anonymous members disliked by the real culprits, who also are Anon members.

"This is how those guys roll: One day they work together, the next they war," an unnamed source told Krebs. "They drop dox on each other like it's a game. Just like they did pinning the defacement of Deus Ex on Blackhatcat. Then denied the whole thing. It's psychotic behavior like I have never seen. It's like they hate each other but will work together on certain ops if it suits them, but then might turn on each other in the end… and then laugh it off."

Beyond the defacement of the Deus Ex website, Square Enix confirmed this afternoon that 350 resumes submitted to Eidos Montreal were obtained during the breach as well as 25,000 email addresses. The publisher noted that those email addresses are not linked to any other personal information and are used to send out product updates to those who sign up.

"We are in the process of writing to each of the individuals who may have been affected to offer our sincere apologies for this situation," Square Enix said in a statement. "No dissemination or misappropriation of any other personal information has been identified at this point."

The hacked sites are now back up and running with improved security measures, Square Enix reports.

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
I'm getting all grabby hands with my PS3 it's almost quite sad

Top Bottom