[SPOILERS] Kingdom Hearts III Spoiler Thread

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I remember thinking it was pretty clearly Saix. I don't see Xigbar wanting to atone for shit. As if! :monster:

Not so much "atone" but set the Keyblade War up so Xehanort suffers defeat. But Saix does make sense and... Now that I think about it, he did seem to have a hint of remorse and affection for Axel. That whole scene with him surprising Axel as he sat alone.. And eating ice cream with him was rather touching. So yeah, I could see it being Saix.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Ah, thanks Mako. No sarcasm, I think you're post really grounded in what to expect with this series. In that way I suppose this game is presented in a way that's consistent with how this series has been for the past 13 years.

Still, I'm not sure why there even is "fandom investment" anymore when this particular franchise? It just doesn't... make sense to me. Not even in the way that other stuff I'm not 100% into does. This is coming from a former mid-2000s scene/emo kid, which is very much the core demographic of the KH fandom. Like, I hate the MCU and hold pretty much every negative opinion that I can as a Movie-goer/worker/appreciator. But I still understand the value, in a decade's worth of films I've hated, coming together in Infinity War. Compare that to how bambooozled I feel for a similar thing happening with Kingdom Hearts 3.

I guess what I'm wondering is the fact that... me, and my social group, were definitely the target audience of the KH series as teens. I suppose it baffles me how there's such an excitement of people a whole generation younger than mine for this shit. I kinda understand it from the point of view of those who played the OG and got invested, because that is the only reason I've done as much as I have. But I am so confused as to how this game is inticing to newcomers, or passive fans. There are so many of my friends/age group peers who are soooo hype for this game, and I know for a fact that they have no clue wtf is happening. Which is hard to interact with, since I've made the effort to understand. All that understanding has done is made circle back to the "hater" category of commentators. And I love KH1 and KH2 as fun games with bomb music. It's just fucking frustrating how fucking dumb I think all this shit is otherwise, but still trying to abide by
the tenant of "let people like what they like."

I realise it's a masochistic relationship on my part. I've done all I can do with the YouTube work when it comes to understanding what's going on in this plot as it's developed in the side games. I've been obsessing for weeks over how fucking shit I think it all is. And not even in the ironic Nicholas Cage sorta way that's often legit brilliant, or so bad it's good. I've read and watched all the spoilers solely for the hope that everything would somehow be more cohesive that way. Even after all that, I'm just... at a loss as to how any of this is in any way rewarding.

Like, I'm the biggest fucking fucker for an excellent score / soundtrack. KH music has legit made me cry. Yet, every fucking musical note made for this series makes me confused as to what I'm even feeling, because it's tied to a bunch of narrative gibberish?

The more I see the more I'm willing to wait for used copies to come in. I'm glad I made the better choice in picking up RE2Remake in my $80 video game nvestment for this month.

I feel like a fucking failure for knowing as much about the Kingston Hearts universe as I do. i
At this point I think it best I just stop trying to make sense of anything about the whole thing.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ah, thanks Mako. No sarcasm, I think you're post really grounded in what to expect with this series. In that way I suppose this game is presented in a way that's consistent with how this series has been for the past 13 years.

Still, I'm not sure why there even is "fandom investment" anymore when this particular franchise? It just doesn't... make sense to me. Not even in the way that other stuff I'm not 100% into does. This is coming from a former mid-2000s scene/emo kid, which is very much the core demographic of the KH fandom. Like, I hate the MCU and hold pretty much every negative opinion that I can as a Movie-goer/worker/appreciator. But I still understand the value, in a decade's worth of films I've hated, coming together in Infinity War. Compare that to how bambooozled I feel for a similar thing happening with Kingdom Hearts 3.

I guess what I'm wondering is the fact that... me, and my social group, were definitely the target audience of the KH series as teens. I suppose it baffles me how there's such an excitement of people a whole generation younger than mine for this shit. I kinda understand it from the point of view of those who played the OG and got invested, because that is the only reason I've done as much as I have. But I am so confused as to how this game is inticing to newcomers, or passive fans. There are so many of my friends/age group peers who are soooo hype for this game, and I know for a fact that they have no clue wtf is happening. Which is hard to interact with, since I've made the effort to understand. All that understanding has done is made circle back to the "hater" category of commentators. And I love KH1 and KH2 as fun games with bomb music. It's just fucking frustrating how fucking dumb I think all this shit is otherwise, but still trying to abide by
the tenant of "let people like what they like."

I realise it's a masochistic relationship on my part. I've done all I can do with the YouTube work when it comes to understanding what's going on in this plot as it's developed in the side games. I've been obsessing for weeks over how fucking shit I think it all is. And not even in the ironic Nicholas Cage sorta way that's often legit brilliant, or so bad it's good. I've read and watched all the spoilers solely for the hope that everything would somehow be more cohesive that way. Even after all that, I'm just... at a loss as to how any of this is in any way rewarding.

Like, I'm the biggest fucking fucker for an excellent score / soundtrack. KH music has legit made me cry. Yet, every fucking musical note made for this series makes me confused as to what I'm even feeling, because it's tied to a bunch of narrative gibberish?

The more I see the more I'm willing to wait for used copies to come in. I'm glad I made the better choice in picking up RE2Remake in my $80 video game nvestment for this month.

I feel like a fucking failure for knowing as much about the Kingston Hearts universe as I do. i
At this point I think it best I just stop trying to make sense of anything about the whole thing.

Kingdom Hearts as a series is at it's best when it's grounded and focused on it's characters and core elements. Personally, what Nomura excels at is designing characters visually and their personality. In terms of him helming an entire meta-series plot... He substitutes an in-depth, well designed and written plot by retroactively connecting EVERYTHING to EVERYONE like a horrible telenovella/soap opera.

What made KH enjoyable are the relationships between the characters that I've followed up til now. The convoluted bullshit plot aside, take for instance the nobodies. I found them far more relatable and interesting because he brought them to life personality wise.

Larxene is a sarcastic, bitter bitch but deep down she has her pride and a core of emotions and people she holds dear. The fact her and Marluxia are besties through and through is really iconic to me. She basically followed Marluxia into the Org because they're just.. That close.

Saix and Axel's relationship, a bruised frienship that drifted apart, is an awesome stage for their conflict and eventual resolution. And I won't even go into the dynamic between Roxas, Xion and Axel. Nomura did the whole "nobodies have hearts after all" thing perfectly. We can also look at Sora and Riku, Namine, etc etc...

Kingdom Hearts is crap if you go into it for its meta-plot. The reason why it's good and memorable is because Nomura knows how to endear you to it's characters despite the utter ridiculousness of it's plot. The plot before with KH1 was simple and clean, pun totally intended. KH2 added a nice level of depth but didn't stray too far from it's core roots. Disney villains and unique villains working together with Sora and his crew trying to stop them, with FF characters and cameos sprinkled along the way.

Hell even with the added elements from BBS, the plot stayed true to it's core. The struggle between light and darkness. Three youths trying to find their way in terms of growing up, maintaining friendship, and choosing a side between light and darkness. It was simple, stable and memorable for good reasons.

Dream Drop Distance while interesting, was where the plot just got too far up its own ass.

I think the game is enticing to new comers because it has that hook of Disney and Square working together (both are powerful brands), coupled with the convoluted plot with it's dangling unanswered questions, looking "deep" when it's just..bizarre.

The reason why you and I got into the game was because it had the hook of FF characters and Disney together in a crossover RPG. It was such a wild concept that one can't help but be curious. The games had incredible, iconic moments from the beginning, and Yoko Shimomora is an incredible composer. There's a reason why she eventually moved on to Final Fantasy titles and was there for FFXV. I don't mean to call KH this derisively, but it was like "Baby's First Final Fantasy" in regards to it's concepts, atmosphere, design, and simplistic yet well done plot. It was good JRPG. And it was a gateway for many into Final Fantasy. Hell, the original worlds Hollow Bastion, Castle Oblivion, Twilight Town, and Traverse Town have such iconic musical themes, designs, architecture and events that they became favorites. They were memorable for positive and legit reasons.

Oh and the secret movies Deep Dive/Another Side, Another Story along with Birth By Sleep, the bonus movie of KH2 FM are arguably the best in the entire series. Those were well done secret, teaser movies.

It's such a shame they abandoned a lot of that now, and have just dug in deep on the stupid shit at the expense of what brought it such fame but that's just where Nomura's head is currently. Well, that and obsessing over the Versus XIII project he was never able to create :mon:

He wants to double down on random bullshit plot of excessive time travel, data worlds, a magical book that outlines EVERYTHING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED IN TIME because it was written by a hooded bloke from the past we've never seen (because everyone starts off as a blank black cloak here) who plucked his eye out, put it in a keyblade with "No Name", gave it to Xigbar, ordered him to travel through time by bodysnatching all the way through to the "future," embed himself next to the most powerful darkness wielding keyblade master by pretending to be a fool and then because of all that convoluted nonsense, he somehow sees everything in time and space so thanks to that, he wrote it said Book of Prophecies and...

Yeah, that makes no fucking sense at all.

Oh and this Master of Masters seemingly concocted a bizarre and potentially unnecessary paranoid prophecy that made his students go nuts and try to kill each other to try to find a traitor that may or may not have existed... Thereby creating said Keyblade War that he and others said they wanted to prevent, but not really and...

Yeah, its nuts.

And now Xigbar has somehow magically brought back the dead Keyblade Masters no one gives a fuck about, and now they're all like.. "What the fuck happened? Oh I'm a unicorn by the way." :mon:

It's kind of ironic yet fitting that Nomura even admitted he doesn't relate or even like Sora anymore. He identifies and enjoys Xehanort the most :mon: I feel the same way. It's probably because I've grown out of KH, at least in terms of the direction it's going. It's just silliness. It's too far up it's own ass, in terms of the overarching plot. But the series' strong suit are its characters. Which is a shame since he wants to focus on the stupid Keyblade Masters from X.

Maybe, just maybe.... Given the secret movie, we'll get a game with Sora crossing over with S-E titles and doing more from that angle, but given the fact Sora and the rest are literally owned by Disney, I'm not optimistic. But I can't help but see the connection to "TEWY" and stuff. Who knows...

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Sora did make appearances in Bravius(or whatever it's called) Final Fantasy game even if it's in a card form, and he was also a DLC character in his Dream Drop Distance form in World of Final Fantasy, though. If Nomura's careful about it and Disney can let it slide just this once, maybe the next KH game will feature more S-E titles but mainly close to Final Fantasy and the new plot will, while we're still stuck with Maleficent and Pete(though at least this means more Mickey Mouse and the rest hopefully), we could be seeing Sephiroth in a similar but more sinister role as Maleficent did and Cloud in a similar role to King Mickey.

Plus, even though Disney and the rest are owned by Disney, the KH characters are without a doubt Half-Disney, Half-Final Fantasy characters. The same coin because while Sora visits Disney worlds, he was created by a Final Fantasy character designer.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's not the same thing at all. Being time limited DLC/bonus content isn't the same as him going to other worlds and crossing over like he's done in his own game.

It really is up to Disney, but honestly I don't see what motivation they'd have to let such a thing happen. It's pretty obvious that either implicitly or explicitly, Disney wanted more focus on their content this go around and have been like that with each subsequent title in the franchise. I don't think that's coincidence.

I think you misunderstood me, however. Sora is literally owned by Disney. In terms of legal ownership, Disney could take all its toys, go home, and Sora comes home with his daddy, Mickey Mouse. :mon:

Square designed and put all the effort into making Sora and all the unique KH characters... But legally in terms of copyright? Kingdom Hearts is all Disney's property.

Random Nobody

local roach
i had the same problem skimming through youtube videos. i did not play the first game, and i played the second only once and as a yute. i was unimpressed and confused thirteen years ago, how much more now, when i have less brain plasticity and i am stupid also.

in conclusion.

rsas8w.jpg

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
That's not the same thing at all. Being time limited DLC/bonus content isn't the same as him going to other worlds and crossing over like he's done in his own game.

It really is up to Disney, but honestly I don't see what motivation they'd have to let such a thing happen. It's pretty obvious that either implicitly or explicitly, Disney wanted more focus on their content this go around and have been like that with each subsequent title in the franchise. I don't think that's coincidence.

I think you misunderstood me, however. Sora is literally owned by Disney. In terms of legal ownership, Disney could take all its toys, go home, and Sora comes home with his daddy, Mickey Mouse. :mon:

Square designed and put all the effort into making Sora and all the unique KH characters... But legally in terms of copyright? Kingdom Hearts is all Disney's property.

I know Sora is legally owned by Disney, but I'm just saying that he's still half a Final Fantasy character none the less if you really think about it, not because of ownership

But then again, if Nomura managed to do this in the Secret Ending...would that mean that KH3 is the true last game of the series and it's left in a cliff hanger because Disney would most likely say no to other Square Enix products apart from certain Final Fantasy characters? IF so, than that's just as unfair as Nomura delaying KH3 for several years all because he wasn't able to put Toy Story in it until he finally got permission a couple years ago.

God, I hope it won't be the same or the worse saga of that if he decides that if he can't put TWEWY and/or FF Versus XIII into KH4 that he'll ultimately decide to just quit the series all together, because I don't want the franchise to end in a cliff hanger.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, if it does come down to that, it's largely a pretty good note to end on. I'm satisfied with where things ended up here for all the heroes and reformed villains.

Granted, we maybe wouldn't ever know more about what's up with the Foretellers, but -- ugh, aside from Xigbar and Ava, those guys are so uninteresting to me anyway. They've just been so lacking in whatever flavor or essence of intrigue the Organization XIII members had back in "Chain of Memories" and KHII.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I could take or leave those buffoons. And if I have to take them, I'd prefer those stupid masks come off so they can properly emote.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Well, I would've prefered the series wouldn't end this way and hoping the series will continue until Sora gets his true happy ending with everyone, especially Kairi but I'm already losing hope on that one even though it's only been five days since KH3 came out in the entire world and it's far too early to start concluding on whether Nomura will continue with Kingdom Hearts or not. Not to mention we'll have to wait until he's done with the Remake which will take forever.

I admit the Foretellers were, meh. They were rather boring to me and I find Aced to be annoying and having a bit of a temper problem and yeah I'd like to see what they looked like without those masks of theirs. We don't even know what the original Luxu(before he became Xigbar) and the Master of Masters looked like.

On top of that, we still don't know about what's inside the Black Box, the Book of Prophecies is still missing and we're still stuck handling with Maleficent and Pete. New questions rise and they need to be answered.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I think Disney should censor that, 'cause as Johnny Depp said in the Bloopers of POTC 3 after the guy who played Beckett cursed, no one's allowed to curse in any of Disney products with a few exceptions like 'Damn' or 'hell'.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
For god's sake Tash, he's not really saying it. The "Fire" line got cut off by the "yes" line and it sounded like this. Do you honestly think that they'd put the word fuck in a Disney game? come on...

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
For god's sake Tash, he's not really saying it. The "Fire" line got cut off by the "yes" line and it sounded like this. Do you honestly think that they'd put the word fuck in a Disney game? come on...

Sorry. My bad.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That was a great scene. I got emotional there too.

And then when Axel suddenly broke down after being reunited with Xion and Roxas.

Yes, that ^

I literally just beat the game and I'm full of emotions.

But also "oh cool secret ending, lol that looks like Shibuya- wait hold on I've been there, that really is Shibuya WHY ARE THEY IN TOKYO man this is really giving me Versus XIII vibes-ARE YOU ACTUALLY PLAYING SOMNUS RIGHT NOW YOU CHEEKY BASTARD also why is video game Noctis from Toy Story a real boy what"

:monster:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana

Pretty sure this wasn't posted here already. These missable cutscenes at least explain why Lingering Will shows up in the 'do-over'. Another reason to Thank Naminé.

The second cutscene is really interesting but doesn't really clear up much plot. It at least plays into Marluxia and Larxene's role in the story that bit more.
At this point it's only really Luxord that seems like 'filler' as far as the antagonists go (the others all played a role in concluding personal storys or developing ongoing ones). That said we still don't know how his card will get used in the future. I bet we won't find out for like a decade :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
But like I said last week, Joe, "if time did inexplicably rewind, that also raises the question of why The Lingering Will showed up this time when he didn't before. I realize Sora's conversation with Naminé's star in The Final World is supposed to explain this, but in a scenario where time does a rewind, that doesn't make sense."

It seems like time had to do a rewind because Terra-Xehanort is no longer vapor, and because the "reunion" between he, Aqua and Ventus plays out the same way -- but upon their return from being dead, it seems everyone is aware of what just happened.

That part of the Keyblade Graveyard scenario became a mess. Thankfully, the rest is awesome enough to make you forget.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Well Sora's conversation with Naminé takes place after the first, failed attempt. She says she'll try tracing Terra's connection and says "Maybe that'll be enough to tip the scales in the other direction".
She's clearly saying that doing this might produce a different outcome during that redo - which it does as we know.

The whole scenario is messy for sure but we can quite clearly see his appearance is due to Naminé's intervention. It's spelled out for us.
The question of how time rewound, and why people remember it yet repeat their actions, is still on the table. I put it down to sloppy and obviously rushed writing during the game's final chapter, personally. :monster:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
The only thing that disappoints me thus far is that we haven't seen hide nor hair of anyone from Radiant Garden: Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, Cloud, Tifa, Cid.... Like they're the only ones that didn't make it.

Top Bottom