Starcraft II

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
OMG hate you ;-;

I preordered the limited edition off Amazon.com but I haven't gotten my beta yet. 5 business days my ass =/

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Im in talks to rangling a beta invite currently.
Advantages of being an ex employee to a large british games retailer :P

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Which one?

GT? GAME? EB?

Some other British thing I haven't heard of? :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I usually get some practice with the AI beta.

Bots are decent target practice.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
The guys at Amazon gave me a "50% off select gaming magazines" instead of the beta key that was in the deal for the limited edition of Starcraft II.

I have a lot of cussing and hatred pent up in me right now

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
raeg?

@ topic, so, based on the beta and all the other stuff: Will it be worth buying when it releases?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I'm buying it.

Anyone have a question or two, since I'm playing the Beta? I'll tell you right now, it DOES feel like StarCraft. But while it feels the same, it isn't - there are a ton of new strategic options, but they don't make the game feel alien or weird. It feels like a StarCraft II game ought to feel, really.

Terrans for example, if I go gas early I can build a Barracks, then build a Factory while my Barracks builds a Tech Lab or Reactor add-on, and fly my Factory to it and start pumping out Tanks without needing to wait for an add-on once the Factory is done, I already have the add-on ready for it. Protoss too, there's a lot more power to them to build a proxy pylon now, with Warp In allowing you to keep the Gateways at your base but still proxy the opponent with a pylon or two. Cy Cores are cheaper by 50 minerals allowing quicker anti-air options (Stalkers cost the same as Dragoons, 125/50), and since Cy Cores allow Warp In you have a lot more incentive to build on earlier than before.

I have to say that Vespene Gas feels like a more expensive option to take, especially early on. Geysers are now two per base with 2500 a geyser, and workers harvest 4 gas a trip. So overall you still have 5000 gas per base, and with three workers on each geyser you still earn 8 gas a trip combined, but you need to use six workers, not three, to mine optimally. As well, the Gas producing buildings cost a bit less than before, but because you need to mine both geysers to mine at optimal capacity it ultimately costs a little bit more since you need two instead of one.

The new features like auto-mine, idle worker button and pop-ups about a unit/building/tech finishing help a lot. You don't need to focus so much on checking every single building to see what's happening, you get constant updates along the left side of the screen. I feel more free to focus on building up my forces and attack without needing to monitor my base all the time. I'm sure for veteran players these new features don't add much, but for me, a casual, and I admit, lousy player, it helps a lot.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yes, the gas issue was confounding. Granted I suppose they saw an issue with the rate at which gas was being gathered. The gathering rate is a little more gradual, a little faster, but I'm not quite sure whether that's better per se.
And in the grand scheme of things, while an extra three workers = suck, the rest of the game is so different I don't exactly have a lot to complain about :monster:

And that's what it boils down to. It's a completely different game. Not a bad game, just very different, despite all the things that are the same. I would say yes, buy the game when it comes out. But don't think it's going to replace the first game, because it's not.

And from the questions that people asked Blizzard about the original Starcraft for future Bnet, I think the developers full know this too.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Should have the 'Hell, it's about time' tagline at the end, imho, for moar epic.

Agreed, but it was in the US on TV, and in they get ]Really stupid about the word "Hell"

SC2_1.png

SC2_2.png

SC2_3.png

SC2_4.png

SC2_5.png

SC2_6.png

SC2_7.png

SC2_8.png

SC2_9.png

SC2_9_1.png

SC2_10.png

X :neo:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Sounds like James Harper is voicing Mengsk again. Here's hoping he gives another badass coronation speech.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Sounds like James Harper is voicing Mengsk again. Here's hoping he gives another badass coronation speech.

He certainly is, and I'm quite glad about it.

Kerrigan is the only VA who got swapped out (though Raynor had a different VA up until Blizzcon last year). I tend to bawwww about this a lot....

Here's the animatic of Glynnis' recording as Sarah Kerrigan for SC2. This is what the yellowish cinematic scenes with Kerrigan, and the Mengsk ones above will be about in full.

You can see the shooting, Mengsk on the Battlecruiser shutting his watch, the near miss of the Hydralisk spines as she runs, the slow-mo Hydralisk emerging, and Kerrigan looking up after them.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I pre-ordered my copy today. I learned my lesson with SoulSilver earlier in the year - I am just not gonna get a copy unless I show up at the store before it opens and fight my way to the stacks. If I go during the afternoon, they'll be gone.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I hate Mengsk's rotten backstabbing guts and I hope by the end of the game he gets a stomachful of blades. :monster:

AND YES WHY IS BLIZZARD COCKTEASING US WITH SO MUCH KERRIGAN FOOTAGE THAT WE'VE SEEN BUT HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE GODDAMNIT

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Because Kerrigan is America's response to tentacle rape.

Also, Overmind > Kerrigan.

I should still order it btw.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I hate Mengsk's rotten backstabbing guts and I hope by the end of the game he gets a stomachful of blades. :monster:

AND YES WHY IS BLIZZARD COCKTEASING US WITH SO MUCH KERRIGAN FOOTAGE THAT WE'VE SEEN BUT HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE GODDAMNIT

If you've read "StarCraft: Uprising" & "I, Mengsk" You'll understand that they have a very interesting relationship. There's a reason he left her at New Gettysburg, and there's a reason she left him alive and stranded on Korhal.

When Mengsk's father Angus was one of the only Old Families who spoke up against the confederacy. After Mengsk joined the Confederate Marines (to rebel against his dad), and after some heavy tension, the Confederates sent ghosts to murder his family. They assissinated his baby sister, and mother, and cut off his dad's head, and left without triggering any alarms (before they eventually nuked Korhal into oblivion).

When Mengsk formed the Sons of Korhal to fight the Confeds, he found and murdered the ghosts who killed his mother and sister. When he caught the last one - it was Kerrigan. She'd been re-programmed into a killing machine, and he set her free. She owed being human again to him, and she couldn't ever cross him because of the terrible things that she'd done to him in the past (even though she was under the influence of neural conditioning, she still felt horrible about it). They always had a strained, and painful relationship, but that's why Kerrigan would never disobey Mengsk.

That's also why, he killed her by leaving her to die. He was just letting her know that he was done with her, and tossed her away. Mengsk very much became his father. That's why when Kerrigan came back as the Queen of Blades, she never killed Mengsk. She put him back on his ruined world to contemplate his life. Mengsk doesn't trust Ghosts, and eliminated half the living Ghosts in the program because of his insecurities. I really don't think that she'll ever kill him, because of how she likes to leave peopeto their own personal hells, like Zeratul. She wishes to inflict pain. She only kills people she's not emotionally attached to.

I believe that Raynor has a much higher possibility of taking down Mengsk, (if his own son, Valerian doesn't end up doing so).

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I got why she left Mengsk on Korhal, iirc she pretty much explained that during the mission. :monster:

Raynor taking down Mengsk would be a nice touch, really, although he still seems to have a liiiiittle bit too much of the nice-guy personality from what I've seen of him in the videos. But hey, it'd be great.

Just need the old fogie to get offed by someone. =/

Top Bottom