Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Japan got the traditional Warrior of Light design for the main character, while US/EU got the generic angry man in a wifebeater? :awesome:

I don't know why, but I'm getting a vague sense of deja-vu with Nier Replicant/Gestalt. Maybe they thought this was what the West wanted. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I don't know why, but I'm getting a vague sense of deja-vu with Nier Replicant/Gestalt. Maybe they thought this was what the West wanted.
The entire concept sounds like this.

"I know! The West like Dark Souls clones! Let's make one! We need a modern protagonist vs fantasy bosses and a lot of gore and mechanically difficult fights!"

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I could see it happening, tbh.

If enough people are ambivalent or hostile to a design, that can cause a "course correction" mid-development. I dunno if it's that lukewarm, but if it appears that way... :monster:

Like, I don't think it's that bad, but I'll admit I'd have preferred something more "Warrior of Light" inspired. Hell, we got our well-known Garland with his distinctive appearance, just translated into the darker more realistic style. Why the hell can't we get that with Wol?

So who knows.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Garland is on point the rest, bleugh feels so far removed from the idea of any sort of FFI remake or prequel its like they went

"hey heres an idea for a hack and slash game ala dark souls with this real generic modern looking dude with some medieval elements thrown in there yada yada, how do we market it?"

"I know! Let's throw Garland in there, mention Chaos and call it a grittier FF I origins story, no one will know the difference! They'll love it!"

"OMG you are so right, btw I think we should mention Chaos in there about a billion times just so people can't mistake that this is a FF Game!"

Also would it kill for them to include 1 playable female character? That's not something I normally care about but seriously SE feels a little, lacking in the female representation in their FF games lately, FFXV was all male, FFXVI is featuring another male main character.

I'd like to have at least one playable female party member in there somewhere.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Outside of the Sonic movie, I can't really think of times where a company GREATLY shifted direction in a project because of fan reactions. OK, Halo Infinite, and actually, now that I think of it, FFVII Remake...OK, it does happen sometimes, but I feel like the dissent isn't loud enough here for it to make that difference in this case. Even if it is fairly loud, I can't imagine it'll be enough.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Japan got the traditional Warrior of Light design for the main character, while US/EU got the generic angry man in a wifebeater? :awesome:

I don't know why, but I'm getting a vague sense of deja-vu with Nier Replicant/Gestalt. Maybe they thought this was what the West wanted. :monster:
Ironically, given my stance on this, I actually prefer The Father to The Brother in NieR :P

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Will find out soon when they fix the demo but one thing I really hope from the game is it gets rid-off stamina management, that bullshit only limits combat, From Software's Sekiro became their best comabt system because of that, hope Team Ninja follows suit.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
FFXVI has like... no party (or gameplay) info out about it. (Although one of the three main characters is female...). Given who is making FFXVI though... they've made some of the best female characters in the entire series. So they have... a lot more informaiton to get out in general and a lot more good will to burn through before I give them a hard time for making female characters.

The lack of female characters in SE games is more a testament to how *few* AAA games they come out with now than the gender balance of the games that do come out.

It's also got more to do with SE's marketing department and who they are marketing the game *primarily* to. Which isn't the Western World. It's to Japan. And they've had it in their heads for ages that "young male protagonists" are what sells the best. So I'd more take issue with SE's marketing (which effects *a lot* more games than just the FF series) than the actual game makers. Who have made plenty of good female characters in the past.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The more I look at the main dude the more I fucking hate him lol

I'm sorry but your "bold take" on Final Fantasy is to create a character that literally looks like any other dudebro roid rage male character out there

why the fuck does he wear a henley shirt

like even the other two dudes at least wear like, fantasy looking shit and this guy is out there with bicycle gloves and a henley

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
People seemed really jazzed on the CC2 trailer for 7R, it was the creators who weren’t happy.

I haven’t said anything yet but yeah this looks like shit lmao. More than anything, S-E needs a poster at their office that reads:

“Party Control and Choices?
Magic and Wonder?
Exploration and Adventure?
If it doesn’t have these…
DONT USE THE FF BRAND!”

At this point, the words “Final Fantasy” have zero integrity. I’m interested in XVI on its own merits, but I’d be happier if it were called something else, like “Dominant.” Using the FF brand to break even is barely even working anymore.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The more I look at the main dude the more I fucking hate him lol

I'm sorry but your "bold take" on Final Fantasy is to create a character that literally looks like any other dudebro roid rage male character out there

like even the other two dudes at least wear like, fantasy looking shit and this guy is out there with bicycle gloves and a henley

I straight up lol'd at this. Now I can't unsee it. :monster:

If for every FFXIV, FFVII-R, and FFXVI we get an Origins... I don't mind that. They can't bat 100 all the time.

At least it ain't Sonic Forces coming off from Rise of Lyric and Fire & Ice, lol

That was a 1, 2, 3 deathblow combo.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The FF brand was always weird. None of the entries are related to each other in terms of story or gameplay mechanics. It's all just thematic. The most you can say is that they're all story-driven.

On another note...

I find it really interesting that we already have a release window for this. And that it's releasing on so many different platforms at once. I can't remember the last time a *console* FF game release on Playstation, Xbox *and* PC at the same time. It's always had Playstation exclusivity. We don't even have a release date for FFXVI yet... and that was shown eight months ago. Also interesting is that this is cross-gen right from the get-go.

So this... feels like a "smaller" project in some ways. That was finished in much less time than a "usual" FF game was. Which... if this is considered a "spin-off" might go some lengths to explaining why it feels so weird. It's not a "main" game and isn't trying to be one.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
This is embarassing.

They've released CG renders showing all the characters in normal looking clothes. I guess armour is visibly equipped.

I'd say maybe it was meant to be an isekai where these WoLs are from the real world, but their armour doesn't look like it belongs in FFI either.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
@Obsidian Fire

This is the thing, I don't want to go off to much on a tangent about it or off topic or anything.

But in the past I've always thought FF has done really well with female characters, both main and supporting, it just feels a bit more lacking in that department lately and it's disappointing considering how progressive they've been in the past with female presence and roles in the FF Series.

(Note im not including FF7 remake in that analysis of their more recent FF games as that's building on what was already there originally in terms of their female characters)

I'll be honest I didn't know one of the main XVI chacters was female as in a party member and playable? I knew there was a female character that seemed to have quite a presence based on what we have so far but didn't know she was going to be a party member so that's good its kinda sad they can't put at least one female party member in all their games, brings a totally different dynamic to things storywise and interaction wise when it's not just a pure male fest.

Right now watching social media the premise seems to be people don't like the generic looking characters or FFI being attached to this. So I wonder how the feedback is going to be handled.

I think people would definitely be more positive if they released this as it's own thing no FF title involved.

Reactions: LNK

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
There was a pretty clear mission statement at play with FF1-10, and you can see that mission statement in 12 and 13, and even FFT, CC, and the MMOs. Just because S-E has gone absolutely bonkers with the brand for a decade, doesn’t mean that it wasn’t previously quantifiable. Hell, the fact that we used to debate things like airship control and world maps tells you how naïve we were much the brand set up an expectation.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
E3ynOBWUYAY7FQV

Top Bottom