Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
There was a pretty clear mission statement at play with FF1-10, and you can see that mission statement in 12 and 13, and even FFT, CC, and the MMOs. Just because S-E has gone absolutely bonkers with the brand for a decade, doesn’t mean that it wasn’t previously quantifiable. Hell, the fact that we used to debate things like airship control and world maps tells you how naïve we were much the brand set up an expectation.
The questionable quality/premise of a spin-off title developed by a third party I don’t really think warrants saying SE has “gone bonkers” with the FF brand.

The FF franchise is in a far healthier state than it was nearly a decade ago with the initial abject failure of FFXIV and development hell of Versus XIII/FFXV actually having SE hinge the long term viability of the FF franchise on whether or not FFXV at least broke even for them.

Last edited:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
This is embarassing.

They've released CG renders showing all the characters in normal looking clothes. I guess armour is visibly equipped.

I'd say maybe it was meant to be an isekai where these WoLs are from the real world, but eir armour doesn't look like it belongs in FFI either.

Jesus christ I despair at those renders.

I'm gonna call some ridiculous plot twist now that the Garland/Chaos we see here is the same Garland we know, his timeloop brought him to the future some shit like that and he finds out about this future's warriors of light causes trouble to bring himself to their attention then waits to battle them

They arrive as per the trailer, he then goes and time travels before they can kill him so the cycle happens, the main character gets caught in his timeloop somehow and is thrown back into the past to the FFI before the main game we know. He has no memory, is found outside of Cornelia and all he does remember is that he was some sort of warrior and the name Chaos means something and is dangerous, something due to come. He vows to kill it, grows through the castles ranks makes it to this great Knight who slowly becomes the corrupted Knight we all know, because he becomes too fixated on who or what Chaos is and boom there it is the main character was Garland all along.

Because I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that.

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I wish they'd get the demo fixed so we could see more of the game. I'm desperately hoping that we've just got a case of bad trailer syndrome going on, cause the idea of expanding on the og FF just sounds so good to me. I mean, the main characters design sucks either way, but god I really hope the rest of the game is better than they"ve made it look

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
nearly a decade ago with the initial abject failure of FFXIV and development hell of Versus XIII/FFXV actually having SE hinge the long term viability of the FF franchise on whether or not FFXV at least broke even for them.

That’s what I’m referring to as bonkers, and you forgot the mountain of bad mobile ports and gacha games.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
That’s what I’m referring to as bonkers, and you forgot the mountain of bad mobile ports and gacha games.
Most of the mobile ports are perfectly serviceable IMO, and the existence of gacha games isn’t exactly a trend unique to SE, almost every Japanese (and many Western) video game company are dipping their fingers in that industry.

And my main point was that you described SE and FF as “bonkers” as a continuing present status of the brand/franchise, if FF was still in the same semi-perilous state it was at the beginning of the 2010s that would be a fair assessment I think, but it’s unfair to label the current state of the FF franchise (or SE in general) as being “bonkers”.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Well, there are at least screenshots showing the characters wearing other gear sets. I don't know what's up with the default outfits just looking like stuff you'd buy at JCPenney, given that everything else has a dark fantasy vibe.

I suspect that you'll be able to get gear that looks more like the actual FFI Warrior of Light attire by the end. Hope so, anyway.

I know this definitely isn't what I was expecting when I heard the leaked "elevator pitch" for the game. I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm still waiting for something that actually tries to capture the look and feel of Amano's illustrations. Or at least comes as close as the Dissidia NT versions of his designs -- Nomura is great at adapting his art and style, so I know it's something they can do.

After rewatching trailer, it's kinda strange that the party is made out of only(?) 3 characters instead of 4 like the OG, weird desicion.
I wonder if they might treat Sarah as a fourth party member, assuming that's who's talking? Or maybe Matoya.

6dgkQHa.png

I feel really tempted to do sprite edits.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
After rewatching trailer, it's kinda strange that the party is made out of only(?) 3 characters instead of 4 like the OG, weird desicion.
Well you do hear a woman's voice in the trailer, it could be princess Sarah or the 4th character.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
@Suzaku The woman's voice in the trailer does give me a woman of importance vibes/this game's version of Sarah vibes.

I rewatched the trailer a couple of more times and I have a few extra thoughts with a bit more aiming for a positive/ more hopeful outlook.

About the voice acting I do wonder was it rushed or bad outtake lines used, they have Chris Sabat as Garland, the woman is 100% voiced by Cherami Leigh whose done a huge amount of VA Dubbing in anime and also has a fair few video games under her belt.

The pink haired dude sounded a bit like Todd Haberkorn to me again heck of a list of Dubbing and video games he's done although I'm not sure now having watched the trailer a few times if it is him.

Regardless Chris and Cherami's involvement at least tells me they're picking decent VAs for this project so I have to hope was it just bad outtake lines used.

Finally I feel now like there's a very rushed feel to this trailer, and I have to wonder now, did this go from an E3 announcement where they may have given a very small taster of like 30 seconds rather than a 2 min trailer, (you can't tell me the developers wouldn't have been aware of the rumours going round) to needing something more due to the rumours and leaks about it and needing to get this out before people's expectations of how this game was going to be got out of hand before any official info was released and releasing a trial mode also to give a feel for it.

I think because so many people had heard this was going to be an FFI remake/origins story prior to it being announced and before the trailer came out immediately set he bar and hype as to what this might look like announcement wise so maybe they felt they had to give something to show it is an FForigin story but in a different way.

I mean I'm probably 100% wrong but trying to reserve my judgement for now on it.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
My main character is Garland/Chaos theory interestingly someone on reddit pointed out the main character says "I'll crush you!" One of Garlands NT battle lines in the trailer

Also I noticed the artwork.

Screenshot_20210614-102030_Twitter.jpg

Main character has half his face darkened, that blood splatter looks like a horn, one eye is yellow/glowing both Garland's helmet has yellow/glowing eyes in previous FF artwork and although green in this trailer, does go reddish yellow at one point for only one eye and the same eye as main character visual there. Chaos also has yellow/red eyes so I'm totally running with this already crackpot theory.:mon:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Wait hang on, someone explain to me why the PS5 not having PS3 backward compatability would cause it not to run?

Top Bottom