Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
- Jack Kyle is thirsty to find and beat Garlond. The description makes it unclear if the group are the warriors of light...

- Jack beats Garlond, involuntarily becomes Chaos. That's the catch, they're just pawns into an eternal cycle of foolish warriors becoming what they're dying to kill.

+ Chaos inside chaos.

+ time travel shenanigans.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
nomura presenting the cast for his latest creative concept every single time like

This is embarassing.

They've released CG renders showing all the characters in normal looking clothes. I guess armour is visibly equipped.

I'd say maybe it was meant to be an isekai where these WoLs are from the real world, but their armour doesn't look like it belongs in FFI either.
the black guy is wearing bright green sneakers and those wrist sweat bands oh my god (also they look like ps3 renders what's going on)

i figured it would be something like customisable equipment that's reflected in-game but could you not have done something more interesting for the base design than t shirts and track pants. the trailers just looks jarring when you have two characters in fantastical outfits and then the main guy looks like some guy getting his reps in at the gym

please don't be isekai. there's already an ff isekai manga, leave it at that. also don't make it an actual part of ff1's story and just leave it as something riffing off its basic worldbuilding or something. (in fact maybe don't make it all)

does anyone else remember mobius ff and how they changed the character's design before it was released. do that here but the opposite, give this character original wol's sexy outfit you utter cowards, that's your only hope at redemption

and a ps5 exclusive demo for a game that's being released on 5 different platforms, this game is full of bad choices

the japanese trailer had kenjirou tsuda, i will give it 1 point for that, and reading an article saying you can switch jobs in combat or something sounds interesting for a souls-like game. shame they only released a broken demo on a single platform so i don't know how that plays

i wanted to play nioh at some point but honestly i'm now a little scared to

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield

I didn't know they were still developing games for the PS3, but overall it could be decent? It looks clunky though but nice customization options.

- you can change at least two jobs on the fly.
- there's a neat throwing spear mechanic.
- apparently there's no jump or aerial attacks.

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Looking at the demo footage coming out is improving my mood somewhat. At least it looks fairly fun to play. Obviously the story is still an unknown, and I'm not a fan of the character designs still, but I can forgive a lot if the gameplay is solid.

The fight with Garland is sporting some pretty solid music as well

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Haven't finished the demo because I kinda suck at this. I feel like it throws a lot of mechanics at you and there's like 2 or 3 different ways to block attacks or something and I keep hitting the wrong buttons :closedmonster:
edit: Also, the black crush in this game is horrendous. I know they want a dark aesthetic but if you get rid of detail it just looks bad. Adjusting brightness doesn't do shit here.

Last edited:
I think I've officially gone over the rainbow and now enjoy this game because of how dumb and stupid it is. I wanna go punch Garland in the face while grunge band man screams Chaos for the millionth time, it's gonna be a riot.

This is kind of where I’m at with this, I think. I mean, I think this looks tonally awful but at least the memes the trailer has spawned have been fucking i n c r e d i b l e and it is rather funny how it genuinely feels like something from 2009. I do hope S-E knows that we’re laughing at it, not with it (unless this truly turns out to be a galaxy brain satire? lol), though.

I do wish I could play the demo (tfw no PS5), as I am genuinely curious about the gameplay. Though the gameplay actually being fun/good might make this whole thing even more tragic :monster: . Also, the demo being corrupted added to the comedy, and gave everyone more time to meme, so: bravo, S-E.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So another weird thing about this, I went with performance mode because of 60fps except resolution mode is also in 60fps. Game looks like it's 1080p in both regardless. Only difference seems to be the menu text, it looks like blurry crap in performance but normal in resolution mode.
Maybe performance mode is actually meant for uncapped 120fps or something (my tv is only 60Hz so this would be useless for me :monster: )

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
So, after seeing some demo gameplay (no PS5), I have some thoughts:

- It's very obviously just a vertical slice showing the first dungeon and boss of the game, even though the trailer gives you the impression that the entire thing will take place in the Chaos Shrine.

- I don't know how the other locations will be tied together and accessed, but I think it's probably safe to say it will at least have the dungeons and bosses from the original game: the dark elf Astos, the Four Finds, Bahamut, and Chaos. Imagining a Soulslike reinterpretation of even something as simple as, like, Astos ruling the ruins of Elfheim which has become a foul swampland, is really cool to me.

- They're doing some pretty cool stuff with the combat and systems. Obviously early, but I dig what I'm seeing. Lots of equipment slots, meaningful stats, skill trees, job swapping. Sounds good to me.

- Game is not super polished, visually. Doesn't really bug me, I guess? There's plenty of time to clean things up, but also, Team Ninja tends towards "Double A" quality games so I'm not expecting cutting edge graphics on par with FF7R.

- I think I'm kind of on board with the dumb early 2000s edginess. This is the good kind of stupid that's actually fun, like DMC and MGS. And a bunch of other Team Ninja stuff.

- Looks like there's going to be a lot of gear to mix and match, so I'm less concerned about the default designs. They should just, maybe, pick something more cool looking for they key art.

- They're obviously using the premise and plot of the original FF to set up and then subvert expectations. Garland acknowledging that he's to become Chaos right off the bat, instead of saving it for a late game twist, is strong evidence of that.

- My gut impulse is that it's gonna be something like this:

Paradise is a world without darkness or chaos. Jack and the other two are transported 2,000 years into the past, into a world overtaken by darkness. Princess Sarah tells the three "Strangers of Paradise" that they're the Warriors of Light, and it's their destiny to bring light back to the world by killing Chaos.

Then there's going to be some sort of twist where the Strangers are actually Warriors of Darkness, and are being manipulated into reviving Chaos and destroying Paradise by using their weird blood crystal powers. Turning the game into a sort of inversion of the original game. Maybe with an even bigger twist on top of it involving the true Warriors of Light or Garland or something.

- I really hope that, even though they're only showing three party members right now, that Sarah joins them after they leave Cornelia and becomes the fourth party member.

- They could do some really cool New Game Plus stuff using the time loop concept. Honestly I'm kinda surprised they're not making this a roguelike.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Should be noted that Jack uses a few Garland lines ("knock you down" being the most notable) and Garland pulls a move that has the others comment that they've seen that one from Jack.

...if the true Garland/Chaos ends up being Jack Dudemeister from Milwaukee that'd be kinda hilarious but that seems to be what it's going for. :wacky:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

2d2.jpg

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I don't think I've seen a complete 180 on a game's reception as fast as this one since it was first revealed on Sunday. I finally watched the trailer today and was laughing my ass off the entire way. This game is 2000s edge to the tee and I LOVE it! I am downloading the demo to try and play for tomorrow. I can't wait to kill Chaos, but I gotta wait to kill Chaos!

Last edited:
Top Bottom