TES V: Skyrim

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I like the quests having to do with your character. It was pretty dumb that you could become the Archmage with a character that literally knows nothing about magic. (Likewise a mage leading Fighter's Guild)

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I like the quests having to do with your character. It was pretty dumb that you could become the Archmage with a character that literally knows nothing about magic. (Likewise a mage leading Fighter's Guild)

This so much. What would be nice is even if there is something like the mages guild (he mages guild we are familiar with won't be there as it was destroyed long before this game starts) your advancement should be determined by skill and power. I don't care how many quests you do, if you're overall ability as a mage is limited to a journeymen level, you should have a rank in the guild appropriate to that skill level. Same with other guilds.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Finally an Elder Scrolls game with good graphics.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
This so much. What would be nice is even if there is something like the mages guild (he mages guild we are familiar with won't be there as it was destroyed long before this game starts) your advancement should be determined by skill and power. I don't care how many quests you do, if you're overall ability as a mage is limited to a journeymen level, you should have a rank in the guild appropriate to that skill level. Same with other guilds.

Yeah, and the quests maybe could require magic to complete.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Adding onto the concept of creatures being able to attack towns, I want inns and taverns that lay between towns to be attacked by bandits every here and there. Furhtermore, I want this sort of thing to happen even if my characters asleep. Imagine you wake up and hear crashing sounds from downstairs, you grab you weapon and go take a look and realize that the place is bing attacked and robbed by bandits. Maybe they try to kill eveyrone, or maybe they just want some damn gold, either way you have some decisions you have to make, and fast.

@Dacon:To be fair, the graphics of Oblivion were quite good when the game came out, its just the character models that sucked.

@Force Oh definetely. I remember one questline where magic is required to get past a pillar thing in ayleid ruins, but they literally give you scrolls with the needed magic to get past it, which destroys the sense of being an honest mage and makes you feel more like just some dude they send to do shit.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
@Dacon:To be fair, the graphics of Oblivion were quite good when the game came out, its just the character models that sucked.

On pc yeah it looked ok. But on 360? Performance issues galore, muddy textures, bad animation, and shitty character models did it no favors.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I own it on console and PC. Hurr.

Even on PC the shitty animation and poor poly count still exists, even if you heavily mod your game.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Those scans are looking very promising. I really hope they can refine the issues in the last game and deliver a title which has both style and substance.

Although, it's a little unfair to do a straight comparison between Fallout 3 vs. ES IV, I'll have to take Fallout 3. In fact, it's going to be the first game I buy once I save up for a PS3 (sold my last one).

Aside from the issues over character models, voices etc. ES IV did have more variety in its locales but where Fallout 3 was set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, every pocket of civilization had greater significance. Not forgetting it's every HNK fanboy's dream to travel the wastes, popping heads with a single punch. :awesome:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
So, only three traits to boost when leveling instead of six, and all skills level you up, and there are even less skills than in Oblivion. They really simplified things.

The player, as one of the dragonborn, is called upon to stop the prophetic return of the dragons.

YAY! You get to kill dragons! :excited:

the person you’re talking to will do things such as walk around, perform tasks whilst in conversation, glance at you every now and then, etc.

I hope I don't have to chase anyone around while trying to talk. I liked the zoom and that the NPC stayed put.

To better suit the player, quests will be modified depending on what you’ve done

That way it will feel less repetitive.

I like this, I really like this :awesome: My only hope is that the map doesn't feel as crammed as in Oblivion. It didn't make much sense that there was a cave with necromancers and zombies two steps from an inn.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I hope I don't have to chase anyone around while trying to talk. I liked the zoom and that the NPC stayed put.

I personally didn't care for the zoom myself. But the idea of having to follow someone around while they perform tasks is annoying. But if the sound of their voice doesn't get louder or quieter depending on your proximity, you wouldn't have to follow them around. I'm not sure how it'll work.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
I'm sure we will start seeing jokes and comic strips about it :awesome:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
http://media1.gameinformer.com/images/site/pages/esv/index.html?es=5

This is pretty interesting stuff.
Basicly it seems that the events of previous Elder Scrolls games were all aspects of an ancient prophecy foretelling the return of Alduin the world eater. Alduin was a dragon who led the other dragons against mankind before recorded history, but was eventually defeated by humans and expelled from the world. It also seems the reasons the blades protected those born with dragonblood, like the septims, was because it was foretold that such an individual would be the only hope of defeating Alduin again.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
And again you begin as a prisoner? I like that some things never change.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
More information, this time on the sound effects, voice acting, music score, and dragon's shouts.

HERE

You get to be Max von Sydow's pupil, and Jeremy Soule is again in charge of the music. Awesome!

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I MUST build my new desktop by the time this game comes out. I will accept nothing less than running this on the highest settings :)

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
Video of how they make a concept art from an actual screenshot of the game, with a new track from Jeremy Soule, HERE.

Also, they confirmed a Creation Kit to go with Skyrim. Nothing new, but I think that's precisely the good news :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Indeed, modkits ftw. I mean, they're always building a devkit for video games to make the actual video game (and its content), might as well add them to the game to extend the lifespan of the game after people buy it. Glad to see they're not being dicks like some other game manufacturers and cut things like that.

Just hoping they aren't going to do half a game and bring out the rest as DLC.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
The game magazine Power Unlimited from Netherlands offers a preview of Skyrim on its February issue. They got and interview with Todd Howard and they did a hands-on preview.

(Man, I'm envious)

BLOG ARTICLE

Highlights of the game:

• Before Skyrim development started, Bethesda considered to wait for the next generation of consoles. Instead, they chose to reboot the visuals and gameplay and rewrite the engine (now called Creation Engine).
  • The province of Skyrim is about the size of Cyrodiil. There’s five big cities and at least 130 dungeons and other points of interest. Skyrim is inhabited by Nords and dwarves.
  • Your character Dragonborn has a dragon soul, which allows you to use dragon shouts. Dragon shouts can be learned by reading them from walls and consist of up to three words, the shouts will get more powerful when you learn more words. You’ll meet dragons regularly while playing Skyrim.
  • Unlike Oblivion, Skyrim’s main quest isn’t featured by huge hell gates in the landscape. Instead, there is a less obvious division between main and side quests. There’s “hundreds of hours” of quests in Skyrim, the main quest is twenty hours.
  • Enemies don’t level endlessly with you anymore. The moment you enter a dungeon, the level of the enemies in it is fixed at your level at that time.
  • Dungeons feature more puzzles and booby traps than in Oblivion.
  • Active blocking means that melee gets more interesting to play. All melee weapons have special perks (Fallout-style).
  • Skyrim is still meant to play in first person view, but third person view should now look a lot better.
  • The interface shows every inventory item in 3D.
  • There’s eighteen skills, divided in warrior, thief and mage categories. You can mix and match them in the game’s nebula skill interface.
Dwarves? Did they existed in TES games. Sorry, I haven't played the two first games, so I don't know, but I recall that the closes thing to "Dwarves" were the "Dwemer".

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
IT'S THE DWARVES THAT GO SWIMMING, WITH LITTLE HAIRY WOMEN.

I'm looking forward to this more and more.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
*BUMP!*

Transcription of the Game Informer podcast held with Todd Howard. I'll leave the link for you to read it HERE

One of the thins I loved most about the interview was this:
"There's an all new face system we did. On the one hand you have less control than you had in Oblivion, but what you're doing looks cool. Our joke was Oblivion would have been better if the Random button was renamed the Ugly button on the face creator. So we've redone that completely with really, really nice results. Something simple like a nose, we have a lot of prebuilt shapes you can pick from, and then you can adjust the size and position of that, as opposed to lots of fiddly sliders. It lets us hand craft a lot of options that you can mess with. If you just start messing around, you're not going to end up with something that looks bad."

Oh, and video that reflects many fans' (if not all) reaction to Skyrim's first teaser.

You know it's true :monster:

Last edited:
Top Bottom