The Final Fantasy VII LTD Thread (Round 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Well, Nomura, Kitase and Takeshi Arakawa (Dissidia's director) all referred to Dissidia as a genuine FF installment:

http://thelifestream.net/final-fant...-an-analysis-by-squall_of_seed-makoeyes987/2/

As well, pg. 658 of the Dissidia Ultimania speaks of the heroes all going home to their respective worlds at the end of the game:

http://thelifestream.net/final-fant...-plot-of-final-fantasy-dissidia-012-duodecim/

It's definitely treated as canon for the characters featured.

As to when it fits into the timeline of each character's life, I think that's been rightly left up to the players to figure out. Not that it's difficult to come up with an answer.

Here's my problem. They made Dissidia so that it reflects and fits in with each game. But that's what they do when taking characters and putting them in AU games. Cloud's appearance in KH is based off of FF Cloud, only different. The difference in Dissidia is that they were much more precise so that it's believable and to feel more "genuine". Don't misread what I'm saying though. Personally, I would like for Dissidia to be considered canon within each world because that would be awesome. It just doesn't seem to be meant to be taken as such.

As a rule we were extremely careful to treat DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY as a genuine entry in the FINAL FANTASY series. - Arakawa

"As a rule" and "careful to" do not engender confidence. And this comment was only to compare it gamestyle-wise, not canon-wise. It's still iffy. Unless there is something definitive, or we see characters affected by it afterwards (within their own continuity), it can't be taken as canon. idk

Maybe we should vote on it, lol.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
AU does have obvious parallels and commentary but it's also dangerous to use as evidence as AU might also deliberately explore things that did not happen and weren't meant to happen in the original.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AU does have obvious parallels and commentary but it's also dangerous to use as evidence as AU might also deliberately explore things that did not happen and weren't meant to happen in the original.

This was kind of what I was trying to say before. AU games are meant to reflect certain aspects of the originals, but it isn't meant to work in reverse.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Here's my problem. They made Dissidia so that it reflects and fits in with each game. But that's what they do when taking characters and putting them in AU games. Cloud's appearance in KH is based off of FF Cloud, only different. The difference in Dissidia is that they were much more precise so that it's believable and to feel more "genuine". Don't misread what I'm saying though. Personally, I would like for Dissidia to be considered canon within each world because that would be awesome. It just doesn't seem to be meant to be taken as such.

But, again, the Ultimania says they're all the real deal and went back to their worlds. They're the actual characters.

Tifabelle said:
Unless there is something definitive, or we see characters affected by it afterwards (within their own continuity), it can't be taken as canon. idk

I don't see how it gets more definitive than Nomura and Kitase saying it's a major FF installment, and the Ultimania saying they're all real. :monster:

As for them being shown after their time during Dissidia in their own continuity, that's an unreasonable standard to apply since there hasn't been any new titles with most of those characters since Dissidia came out.

Cloud's the only one to have had a new title in a timeframe that could reasonably be taken to be post-Dissidia (Advent Children Complete), and -- though this may sound like stretching -- he does seem to use two techniques similar to a couple of Firion's (something like Reel Axe while saving Tifa and Denzel in Edge, and something very similar to Weaponmaster when he defeats Sephiroth).

Given Firion's major influence on Cloud during Dissidia, it's believable enough that he may have adopted a couple of the guy's moves.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
But, again, the Ultimania says they're all the real deal and went back to their worlds. They're the actual characters.
That's not a manual, get out.

BTW

About that something warm quote.. it always amazes me how often I see people say "If Cloud loved Tifa why is he running away from her in KH2?"

Do they know of this something warm quote? Or does it suddenly switch so that he's running from Aerith there? Or maybe "It says someTHING not someone."

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
cloud and aeris fucked like rabbits after credits roll in kh1

come at me bro

Pffft. In FF7 Cloud and Tifa fucked everytime the screen went dark.

Psssht. Sex doesn't mean anything, you two.

I don't see how it gets more definitive than Nomura and Kitase saying it's a major FF installment, and the Ultimania saying they're all real. :monster:

Because it's lying and they're all FAKES! FAKES I TELL YOU! SO THERE!

As for them being shown after their time during Dissidia in their own continuity, that's an unreasonable standard to apply since there hasn't been any new titles with most of those characters since Dissidia came out.

Cloud's the only one to have had a new title in a timeframe that could reasonably be taken to be post-Dissidia (Advent Children Complete), and -- though this may sound like stretching -- he does seem to use two techniques similar to a couple of Firion's (something like Reel Axe while saving Tifa and Denzel in Edge, and something very similar to Weaponmaster when he defeats Sephiroth).

Given Firion's major influence on Cloud during Dissidia, it's believable enough that he may have adopted a couple of the guy's moves.

The question for Dissidia isn't 'Are they the real deal' or 'Is it canon' but the more practical 'Outside FF1 and very arguably FF7... does it matter?' Do they remember? Will this affect characters in future games?
You could argue that Cecil and Golbez are written in such a way as to retcon foreshadow TAY, but yeah, the question that really matters isn't 'does it count' but 'does it affect anything?'

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I think I'm having trouble expressing myself on the issue, and I'm not making sense. So I'll say that I feel some sort of cross between these two:

Ryu said:
The question for Dissidia isn't 'Are they the real deal' or 'Is it canon' but the more practical 'Outside FF1 and very arguably FF7... does it matter?' Do they remember? Will this affect characters in future games?

And basically, does Dissidia have any relevence in a conversation about any singular game (or series). To me, no it doesn't have a place in a conversation about anything but Dissidia except as a curiosity.

Quexinos said:
Do they know of this something warm quote?
Yes. But that quote doesn't mean what it says.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I think I'm having trouble expressing myself on the issue, and I'm not making sense.
Welcome to my world :monster:

Yes. But that quote doesn't mean what it says.
Oh god... I know I shouldn't go there... every ounce of my being is screaming at me not to.. but..

okay what does it mean? And please don't tell me it means Tifa loves Zack, we went through that already.

EDIT
Im going to get my Nostalia Critic "WHAT?" video ready here because I'm pretty sure this is going to warrant it.

Last edited:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Oh god... I know I shouldn't go there... every ounce of my being is screaming at me not to.. but..

okay what does it mean? And please don't tell me it means Tifa loves Zack, we went through that already.

Zack? We established a few pages back that Zack is irrelevent.

No. It means that Cloud has very sensitive skin and he didn't wear his sunscreen. So he has to run away from the light to avoid sunburn. So Tifa is the sun...which is bad for him...and he's running toward Aerith who is the good kind of warm...like a heated blanket...and so basically Cloud loves Aerith and is trying to get away from Tifa but that psycho won't leave him alone.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Tifabelle said:
No. It means that Cloud has very sensitive skin and he didn't wear his sunscreen. So he has to run away from the light to avoid sunburn. So Tifa is the sun...which is bad for him...and he's running toward Aerith who is the good kind of warm...like a heated blanket...and so basically Cloud loves Aerith and is trying to get away from Tifa but that psycho won't leave him alone.
:moar:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
You know what? All this person does on the front page is complain about Vendel and say she wants him censored, yet she continues to respond to him. Come on now.

Reminds me of women who keep coming back to assholes because they're great in bed.

All I can say is, if you necropost a tl;dr to the front page, you deserve to get Vendeled. Have fun with that front page guy. (Probably Shroudy tbqh, that guy would whine about Cloti police officers giving him speeding tickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom