The Final Fantasy VII LTD Thread (Round 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
LOLZ. This is dumb.

Here's the bottom line? Does anyone have any EVIDENCE that the materia is holy that isn't just pure speculation?

That's all I'm saying. Is there a reasonable degree to suspect that it's holy? Yes, I think so. Is there a reasonable degree to suspect that it's black materia? Yes, I think so. Is there a reasonable degree to suspect that it's nothing at all? Yes, I think so.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Here's the bottom line? Does anyone have any EVIDENCE that the materia is holy that isn't just pure speculation?
lol, everything at this point is pure speculation. It's just the one we think isn't pulled from our ass like some people claim, but is based on the fact it makes the most sense from the story point of view, from the stylist point of view (ie, loves making any fandom continuity nods it can), and something that would seem like a hell of oversight if it really was just thoughtless addition.

And the lifestream wasn't?
The lifestream isn't the symbolic force that's suppose to defeat its evil counterpart.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
quexinos said:
dear diary,

today i was a faggot

I accept your concession :monster:

That's all I'm saying. Is there a reasonable degree to suspect that it's holy? Yes, I think so. Is there a reasonable degree to suspect that it's black materia? Yes, I think so. Is there a reasonable degree to suspect that it's nothing at all? Yes, I think so.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The lifestream isn't the symbolic force that's suppose to defeat its evil counterpart.

Supposed to. But didn't. Lifestream did. Where is the Lifestream in the logo? Unless it's there and I don't see it.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I accent your concession
>mfw you have no argument

1289253993481.png

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I disagree with the 'that materia could be ANY MATERIA/part of meteor!'

Black materia, possibly. Holy, possibly. Anything at all? Makes no fucking sense.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
i can't believe you guys actually think nomura would pass up an opportunity for ~symbolism~

jfc this fandom

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
So there's not a perfect circle hovering above the logo? Or what?

There is a circle there. I see it. I'm not saying it definitely isn't something. I'm not saying it definitely is something.

Also, I don't like how my last to posts make me sound like the offspring of Mr. Miyagi and Dr. Seuss, respectively.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Supposed to. But didn't. Lifestream did. Where is the Lifestream in the logo? Unless it's there and I don't see it.
Actually, it could be either Holy or the lifestream that is leaving the planet/attacking, if it is the planet defending itself in the logo instead of meteor crashing.

Made even more inconspicuous by the fact the color scheme is mostly a green color, which is a color that is very clearly representative of both the holy materia when activated and the lifestream.

And holy still represents the diametric force against the black materia. It is only the last few seconds do we fully recognize that lifestream, indeed the people and thing that the team fought so hard to protect and everyone ruled out, was the thing that saved everyone (ie, it was thing everyone ruled out- like Cloud as per the rest of the story).

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Made even more inconspicuous by the fact the color scheme is mostly a green color, which is a color that is very clearly representative of both the holy materia when activated and the lifestream.

I'm not about to discuss color schemes. I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it could be holy. It COULD be. But we don't know. That's all I'm saying. I'm taking a non-position on this.

And holy still represents the diametric force against the black materia. It is only the last few seconds do we fully recognize that lifestream, indeed the people and thing that the team fought so hard to protect and everyone ruled out, was the thing that saved everyone (ie, it was thing everyone ruled out- like Cloud as per the rest of the story).

I agree. So that's holy in the logo then?

Can we agree that this is dumb and move on? Let's all just sit down and drink some of this kool-aid I just whipped up.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Can we agree that this is dumb and move on?
<____<

>_____>

Actually I kind of love this debate because it underlines the subtle brilliance of FFVII, giving an ambiguous symbol and asking fans if this really represents death, or life. Then again, I'm the kind of fan that loves to overthink things so...

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Why do we think the circle is a materia again? (Serious question)
well, if it's not materia it's either a retardedly perfect bit of debris or a random circle. you decide!

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Actually I kind of love this debate because it underlines the subtle brilliance of FFVII, giving an ambiguous symbol and asking fans if this really represents death, or life. Then again, I'm the kind of fan that loves to overthink things so...

lol i agree ;o; It ties in with the overall theme of FF7 really well too, on a lot of levels. Death, life, balance, etc.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
There's absolutely nothing indicating it's a materia. There's more evidence to say it's the moon than a materia.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
You are a beautiful person and I love you for this.

Seriously, people were fucking arguing with me over the shade of the materia. Or the size.

HERP DERP THE WHITE MATERIA SHOULD BE WHITE, EVEN THOUGH I PLAYED THIS GAME 40 THOUSAND TIMES I WILL PRETEND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HOLY MATERIA LOOKS LIKE

Not that it should be white, but it should be a specific shade of green, unlike the other generic magic materia.
That and the 10:1 scale model of Holy idea boggles.
Yeah, there might be other resized crystals, but if they're representations of other crystals, they're all scaled down, not up.
Really, though, I just think all the crystals are basically 'sources of power' rather than 'specific references'

You mean the feather? :awesome:

I smite you.

Pointing out that someone is being retarded for saying that his crystal was holy isn't a bad thing at all. And lol @ this being posted right after Ryu brought up the size

It's not just the size. The size is just one part of why it and the other crystals probably aren't' anything more than generic power sources.

Yeah, and Sephiroth's sword changes length depending on which game and how hard he has it for Cloud.

Holy was fucked up for presentation purposes. They screwed a lot up to jam it into Dissidia. But those are might silly coincidences for it not to be Holy, glowing a pale green, being opposed to the "black materia" and the fact that it's the only recognizable materia in the entire game.

But it's not being opposed to the Black Materia. And the rest of the logic is pretty meaningless. Try applying it to the other characters.
It's a search for a specific meaning where no specific meaning is to be found.

Squall counts for nothing.

Yes. He does. You might not like it. But him and his fucktarded crystal count and must be considered.

random piece of materia versus a widely recognized symbol in the ff7 universe, which is in the logo

which makes sense

I thought the oblate circle was Meteor and the big one was Gaia.
I mean, we are supposed to be viewing the two in relation to each other, so it can't be the Materia itself, it's in the wrong position to be Holy (Wrong shape, too. Holy deforms as it travels), so Gaia and Meteor makes the most sense to me. Alternately, it could be Nomura being DELIBERATELY FUCKING VAGUE.
But he never does that.
Ever.

Arguments have been made that Terra's crystal is her father.

None with any strength, though.

But mostly because there is no way to distinguish one crystal from the other in other Final Fantasies. You can tell Holy by it's color, and especially by it opposed position to the black materia Sephiroth seems to wield (who had that pic of Sephiroth? Drake?).

But it's not really 'opposed' to Seph's use of it. For Seph, it's a move in battle. For Cloud, it's just a Macguffin. And you mention the color, but that's the problem- it IS the wrong color. It's too green, and lacks the veins that run across the white materia.

Simply put, it's not like extra thought was put into it, it's just that Holy had 1. a plot relevance and 2. visibly unique.

But the materia Cloud holds ISN'T. It is the wrong size and shade. That's, and none of the other crystals representing anything, make it very unlikely to be the white materia.

This. And did Seph wield the black materia in Dissidia? I honestly don't know.

Yes, but only in battle. It had no plot relevance. If it did, you'd think the schemers might have mentioned it.

comp_logo_sm.jpg

Compilation_of_FF7_logo.jpg

If there's a materia next to meteor i would assume it's the opposing force, Holy.

You sure it's not Meteor?

I mean I think that would be pretty obvious but

On the other hand, I think it might be rather vague on purpose. Nomura, Natch.

i can't believe you guys actually think nomura would pass up an opportunity for ~symbolism~

jfc this fandom

It's the opportunity for obfuscation he can't resist.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Nomura doesn't know when to stop with his quest to make everything 'symbolic' and 'ambiguous'. It stopped being clever a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom