The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Monthly subscriptions are necessary for MMO games so that they can keep the servers running and stuff, as well as update in-game content, keep the community going etc. I used to be funny about monthly subscriptions too but I understand why they're necessary.

Free to play MMO's might seem like a good idea, but before you know it it costs £0.50 to buy things at the shop, then every tiny little thing costs money because they need to keep the servers running. It's kinda just the way online games work.

EDIT: (The point of coming here, derp); Huzzah, I've returned to Eorzea!

Aaaaaaaaaand, yeah, I understand that and I did not think of that when I commented. Makes sense. Those servers must be expensive to buy/maintain... !!! Thank you Lex. :)

There's still the Guild Wars approach, which is my favorite.

True. I remember now hearing that they do not charge a monthly fee. What's their approach?

Lex

Administrator
Rinh'aeza Viera is me
Alistair Highwind is Marcus
...Ami's is something like Valeria Dragonborn or something idk
Satsu is Anaea Oaks

ForceStealer

Double Growth
True. I remember now hearing that they do not charge a monthly fee. What's their approach?

They charge full price for the game ($60, whereas a lot of subscription MMOs are a little cheaper to purchase), and release bigger expansion sets for $20-$40 that offer new questlines, locations, and classes and the like which support the server but do not work like microtransactions. This makes it a lot more like a normal game and is easily my favorite approach.

Now, I haven't played Guild Wars 2, but Guild Wars 1 was not a "true" MMO in that only the cities and towns were open servers with people running around. All the wilderness was "instanced," as in it's just you and whoever happens to be in your party. I imagine this made the servers significantly easier to run and thus cheaper. But that was fun with me as I like single-player RPGs anyway. I don't know how GW2 works, the footage makes it look like everyone running around everywhere, not sure.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Velaria Dragonsoul. Tut, tut, Lex. :monster:

Also Satsu, I chose Cerberus because I had an agreement with a friend: whoever gets on first chooses the server and we play together. People inevitably followed me once news got out of my selected one.

Lex

Administrator
The servers are all back up now.

I've created a Linkshell called The Lifestream. Linkshells are like our own personal chatroom that can have up to 128 members - the idea is that we'll eventually form our own Free Company when we can.

I can only add people to the Linkshell when they're online (no one else is at the moment). Only the master of the linkshell (me) and leaders (everyone from here, I'll be making you all leaders) are allowed to add other people to the linkshell.

So when you're online send me a tell and I'll add you :)

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I'll probably buy the game. I won't be able to get it until later in September at earliest though.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I took the plunge and bought the game today. Has anyone heard whether people who buy the game during early access won't be granted early access? The confirmation page still listed that I would get all the preorder stuff (items and early access), but I have not received an email from Square about it. Actually, I haven't even received an order confirmation email yet. Anyone heard anything on this? I am assuming they may not be giving out any more early access codes so that the servers don't get slammed more.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
The retailer sends you a code that you redeem on SE's website, I don't see why they'd stop you tbh.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Well, I bought it from the Square Enix online store.

EDIT: And it was the digital download version.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Also, I was able to view my order a few minutes after placing it by entering in the order number on Square Enix's site, but now when I try it is saying I have no orders.

Should have just bought it through Amazon...

EDIT: I successfully figured out how to cancel my order with SE and bought it on Amazon. I instantly received my EA code and am now downloading the game! Time to keep anxiously looking at the progress bar over the next 2 hours.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm reluctant to get this game because I said many years ago I will never play an MMO in my life. Purely because it's a time stealer, and as much as I think I would like it I don't want to end up committing myself to doing something x amount of hours during a week. Multis like Uncharted 3 is fine because you don't have all of those guild activities tied to it that sucks you in like MMO's do. Also because you pay a monthly fee with MMO's you feel like you *have* to play to get your money's worth.

I'd like to see how it works though, but I'm afraid that if I start playing it, I'm gonna become obsessed, and I'm trying to get in shape for a running event.

Balls.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
If you're trying not to buy it, this would probably be a very bad time to mention that the game's build feels very much like Final Fantasy XII.

Lex

Administrator
This came a day early <3

1239549_707242445959314_824649924_n.jpg

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Game purchased, and early-access downloadan' now. What server did we all agree on?

Lex

Administrator
More like "were forced into" lol. Cerberus is the world you should choose :D.

In other news, I don't have a clue what Grand Company I should join. I started in Gridania and the story just spent a lot of time in Ul'Dah, so I'm thinking Limsa Lominsa's "The Maelstrom".

Lex

Administrator
I ended up choosing the Maelstrom in Limsa Lominsa. I was iffy about it until Biggs and Wedge and the TINY BRONCO showed up! :D

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Does the server strength matter if I'm in the U.S. (I think Cerberus is EU right)? Time doesn't matter because I'm nights.

EDIT: Kinda got this answered here. I'll try it.

I like Gridania, but I want to be a Pugilist and for some reason that makes me chained to Ul'dah. Or maybe it's because I keep choosing the Earth sign?

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
If you choose Pugilist, you'll have to start in Ul'dah, but you'll be able to begin moving around the map once you get the airship around level 15, I think. I started in Ul'dah as a Thaumaturge, and I quite like it. It's HUGE.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Fangu, pff, you play video games every waking non-working hours already, you silly :wacky:. Also, timed guild events can be NO U'd.

Lex

Administrator
I levelled my Lancer (started in Gridania) then a pugilist in Ul'Dah, and I kind of feel like I've spent a lot of time in both regions but not enough in Limsa Lominsa, which is why I chose to join the Grand Company there.

I'm back in Gridania on Ramuh's tail now, which is quite exciting :D.

Top Bottom