The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
It also use to be the L3 button, but I think they took it away. There was much ground sitting for me on cliffs in the beta phase.

Lex

Administrator
I used the sit emote a lot in dungeons where the tank would rage quit. I have a delightful screenshot of this moment somewhere actually. I need to do a screenshot dump, I take a lot of them and forget to post them.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Just heard that log off music in the Inn for the first time.

My god I love it I want it every day.

Not to mention the awesome way in which Lalafell get into bed to sleep.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

D'aww that's so cute.

And the soft little victory tune just right for sleepy time. ^_^

Lex

Administrator
Hahaha that's awesome, I didn't know they had different sleep animations. My character (a Miq'ote) curls up into the foetal position <3.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, my character, a Hyur Highlander, sits down, rubs her eyes, puts her head on the pillow, and rolls over so her back faces the screen. When she wakes up, she sits up, does a big stretch with her arms over her head, and stands up. :P

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Aww, that's so cute. I need to try that with my character sometime.

It took me only three attempts to defeat Ifrit last night and by God, I have to say it's the hardest Duty I've encountered so far. As per usual, I'm relied on as a Tank and had to keep the damn thing distracted most of the time, so the others could land blows / heal the party. I ended up going to bed later than I usually did (work the next day, oops!), but felt really great after getting it done. The party I had were also so lovely and weren't raging at me too much.

Hope to get more done this weekend!

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I have not been getting as much sleep as I usually get since this game came out. :P So far, the groups I have had have been pretty nice as well. I did get a couple of groups where one of the DPS liked to pull instead of letting me, the tank, do it. That is REALLY annoying since I then have to go pull threat off of that DPS. But I have not encountered any ragers or rude people yet.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

that is how i go to sleep, except i'm usually less excited to get up in the morning

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Mine goes face down on the mat every time. It's like he's trying to suffocate himself (who sleeps like that)

Lex

Administrator
It should be back up really soon if it isn't up now, they increased server capacity and added new servers two days ago :/

Lex

Administrator
PICDUMP TIME (also I should note there are a few items about XIV in the latest roundup on the Frontpage)

Most of these were taken last week, I just haven't gotten around to posting them yet. I'm a higher level with even nicer armour now (even though the armour in these photos is still really pretty IMO)

RinhaezaViera31_08_201319_47_53_zps80369585.png~original

RinhaezaViera31_08_201319_48_18_zpsdd352af2.png~original

RinhaezaViera30_08_201304_24_35_zpsb36b08aa.png~original
RinhaezaViera30_08_201304_24_47_zpsac53a095.png~original

RinhaezaViera29_08_201321_25_45_zpsbd326c18.png~original

RinhaezaViera29_08_201320_21_38_zpsef3786d8.png~original

RinhaezaViera29_08_201320_13_16_zps42736755.png~original

RinhaezaViera30_08_201304_31_49_zpse49253a7.png~original

Lex

Administrator
It's the reward for getting to level 50 and beating the final dungeon. Someone said it plays Terra's theme while you're riding around in it, but I'm not sure about that.

I just spent 90 minutes fighting Garuda and did not win. That's like 20 or so attempts. The healer was an absolute derp and kept doing the wrong thing (and dying, and healing the wrong person). I'm going to write up a strategy for this battle because trust me when I say so far it's the toughest one in the game. I'm a level higher than required and have the highest level unique dragoon armour in the game and it's just so difficult. Really cool fight though :D

AND THE MUSIC (please stick with it for 45 seconds, trust me)

Lex

Administrator
I've now spent a grand total of 270 minutes trying to beat this boss. I seem to keep getting put in groups with apathetic healers that constantly die and just go "lol idk idk liek totally liek".

BE BETTER.

So I FINALLY beat her, WOOHOO!!!

OK, here's how the fight goes. You're all going to want to follow this to the letter to get through it, but it'll likely still take a lot of attempts.

The battle takes place inside a hurricane with 4 pillars. Standard buffing from healer, then everyone needs to approach her around the rim in a ring formation, that way she doesn't send wind attacks through the middle and knock down the pillars (which you need standing to live). She has an AOE attack that hits everything in front of her, and where a lot of tanks fail is that they go through her but take too long to get back to where she was facing, so she gets attacks off in the direction of the pillars - NO. This cannot be allowed to happen. If it happens with your tank, spank his/her ass.

The tank has to have her facing outward, towards the hurricane (and thus away from the pillars) - she'll still attack everyone else, so they need to place themselves away from all the pillars aswell.

Then she'll disappear and reappear in the exact same spot. Everyone needs to get behind the closest pillar and be completely out of her line of sight otherwise they'll die. If one person dies, it's nearly impossible to recover. Later in the fight it's completely impossible.

When she reappears, she'll summon feathers. The feathers will all go towards the pillars. If you have a summoner - and this bit is important - if you have a summoner, immediately cast Tri-Disaster on her. This binds the feathers to their position, so they can't go to the pillars. Meaning they explode where they are, doing no damage to the pillars. You just can't cast any AOE attacks or attack the feathers, but this allows you to completely ignore the feathers and focus on her.

If you don't have a summoner, the tank has to stay with her and the DPS's have to get the feathers. It's best to pick a pillar to protect the most (you need at least one fully standing pillar for later) and kill the feathers near that one first. The tank should also take special care that she's not aimed anywhere near specifically one or two pillars that you're protecting.

After the first feathers, attack her a couple of times and she'll disappear again. She'll reappear at the other end of the arena - hide behind a pillar. Here the tank should get to her as quickly as possible otherwise she'll make her way into the middle of the arena which will result in more damage to pillars. Then she'll summon more feathers, defeat as above.

Then she'll disappear and appear in the middle - except this time she just summons feathers, which you need to kill. When she's below 50% HP, she'll again disappear and reappear in the middle. This is when she casts the move that almost always kills at least one person, because a person is being stupid/ the pillars aren't intact. You need to stand behind the biggest pillar you have remaining when she says "THE RECKONING COMES" otherwise you'll die. The damage done depends on the number of rocks on the pillar you're standing behind. The healer cannot survive this attack unless they're standing behind a full pillar. This big hurricane move will destroy all the rocks and reduce everyone's HP to about 1/10th of what it was if you're standing behind a large pillar. It's unavoidable.

Immediately after this attack, the HEALER should use their limit break, because if they don't someone will die, and if someone dies, it's over. You need every move to count. She'll create a small ring in the middle of the arena, and if you step outside this ring, you'll die. If you stand in front of her, you'll die because she attack spams like mad. But the tank can't keep her facing in one direction at this point, because she just randomly spins around, so it becomes about trying really hard to keep running behind her and whatever you do, do not stop attacking. You need to keep attacking to get her HP down.

You can win at that point, but if it takes too long she has an ultimate move where she disappears then appears at another end of the arena. If you're not standing on the pixel that is as far away from her as possible (but remember you can't touch the outside of the ring she's made) then you'll die. When I landed the killing blow I was the last person alive with 43 HP remaining (out of 2,500 - and some of her attacks hit for 2k HP) but it needn't have been that close if the healer hadn't died. The healer has a really tough job btw, because they can't afford to tunnel-vision the HP bars or they'll die. That happened a lot. It's ALWAYS the healer that died that kills the chance, so if you get a healer that's done the fight before you're in with a better chance than most people.

Good luck, and thank fuck I don't have to do this fight again. Because it's the hardest FF boss ever.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
After reading that exciting account, I had to watch a video of some folks taking her down. Good luck with
Gaius and Ultima Weapon.
:awesome:

Lex

Administrator
I'm kind of afraid you watched a wrong version (i.e. the old one that wasn't from A Realm Reborn, or the PC version since they've got this habit of being UBER SUPER ZOOMED out for some bizarre reason) so have a video from the new version:

This person is a dragoon and does exactly the same stuff I did 0_0

Last edited:
Top Bottom