The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I've set a maximum date of when I'm getting back into this. I have two weeks off in August, where it's going to be all-out FFXIV binge. I'll also look into maybe renewing my subscription at the end of the month when I next get paid, my bank account has taken a beating with a new wardrobe lately.

Glad you're enjoying it, Shad. Hopefully, we'll play together soon! Which is possible because PC, PS3 and PS4 players can play together. :)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Shademp said:
No idea how to do the "Reasonable /Doubt" quest though. How am I supposed to instill doubt in those workers?!

Tell them they're getting promoted, then string them along about the actual start date for their new gig.

That's what works where I'm employed.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Use the /doubt emote. [/actuallyhelpfulresponsebecauseimnotamonster] :monster:

Use the /doubt emote. [/actuallyhelpfulresponsebecauseimnotamonster] :monster:
THANK YOU! :D

This is one of those few instances where the game decided not to explain its mechanics to me. The game is so impressively designed in so many aspects that I can't get mad over the lack of "emote" explanations when this particular quest was given.

EDIT:
That scene with Hydaelyn, the crystal, made me a little teary-eyed. I was truly feeling like this was a modern realization of a Final Fantasy game, in this particular scene, instead of being way too detached from the franchise's origins.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Shademp if you get stuck I'm around on skype to answer questions you might have.

Don't the emote quests say like "cast your /doubt upon x" or something? For what it's worth I also got stuck on that first one though, I think I ran around for about 10 minutes or so before I realised what to do. But I only figured it out because I remembered playing games years ago that required command input in the chat box. One of them was an online PVP shooter called Gunz. Long time ago.

Also another way to emote on PS is to target the object/person, press square, then choose "emote" and they're all in a list.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
THANK YOU! :D

This is one of those few instances where the game decided not to explain its mechanics to me. The game is so impressively designed in so many aspects that I can't get mad over the lack of "emote" explanations when this particular quest was given.

EDIT:
That scene with Hydaelyn, the crystal, made me a little teary-eyed. I was truly feeling like this was a modern realization of a Final Fantasy game, in this particular scene, instead of being way too detached from the franchise's origins.

For me I got stuck when it asked me to type out various messages to an npc using the translate feature. No where in the tool tip or quest log did it say hitting Tab on pc while chat box was open would open the translation options >.<

Spent a good 5-10 minutes standing in front of a npc in new gridania typing out messages like a dumb ass :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Alright so what am I missing here?

I browse the FF14 subreddit and a few other communities and there is a staggering amount of PC players who are using X360, PS3 and PS4 controllers over a keyboard and mouse.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. I've seen both of the UI and all of the hoops the controller players have to jump through to even function at 50% that the KB+M does so why are so many people taking such a shitty set up when a ridiculously better one is right there in front of them?

This makes me brain hurt.

edit:

Btw I know there is that whole preference thing and shit, but the amount of people I see using it and recommending it over KB+M in the community is a little over the top. Not once have I seen *Why* it's recommended so now I'm in the dark. It's a genuine question not intended to shit on people who choose controller over KB+M or who are unable to make the choice.

I'd ask on reddit but I'm sure I'd get shit on by downvotes for asking.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
OK here's the thing.

I've used both. When I first started playing I tried with the Keyboard for a while but it was super laggy on the PS3 so I switched to controller. I used the controller through PS3 & PS4, sometimes used KB+M on PS4 (because no input lag on PS4) but mainly stayed with controller.

When I moved to PC I swore I'd re-learn KB+M but as Joe will attest I had some real trouble with it the other day. In my experience there are certain things with which each has advantages over the other. Please try to bare in mind that you're a PC master race person so no matter how much I tell you or anyone who exclusively uses PC controls where controller might be better in this game, you're probably going to disagree.

Movement: By miles this is the biggest thing that's better with a controller. I notice that using KB+M, pressing S does a kind of slow back-off thing. When I hold in down on the controller (S should have the same function imo), my character immediately turns and runs. With KB+M you have to physically turn the character with the mouse and run. I got used to it on PC, but it's just miles faster with a controller and it makes dodging AoE a lot easier.

Joe tried to rationalise this to me numerous times by saying that slowly backing off is good for casting, and when I pointed out that any movement cancels a cast he said to me that he meant insta-cast spells. This doesn't make any sense because with holding down on the controller (i.e. immediate turn and run) you can still do this, and it doesn't swing the camera so... "s" as a slow back-off is dumb, and as far as I can tell there's no way to change it. There is literally no benefit to slowly backing off other than looks.

Targeting: By miles better with KB+M. There's no other way about it. With a mouse you can just click on whatever you need. With a controller it's not as bad as it might seem, but it is a little clunky. Basically X targets the thing closest to you, circle to "un-target", left and right d-pad to cycle, up and down d-pad to cycle amongst party. The only class this badly affects is the healers. Cycling is never going to be as good as pointing and clicking.

Rotation: The cross hotbar for controller is a lot more visual, in the sense that you just look at it and know what button to press. I realise numbering the Keyboard hotbars makes it super simple (1-= etc.) but I found myself mis-hitting quite a lot (meaning to hit 3 and hitting 4 or any other combination of fuck-ups) and into the bargain it was nearly impossible for me to hit the normal amount of buttons required for my super cooldown combo when compared to doing it on the controller. A mechanical keyboard might fix this (because it recognises a higher number of simultaneous inputs), but having set up my Keyboard hotbars in such a way that it was the simplest possible, I still got moves/ CD's and combos off a lot faster with the controller than on KB+M. This is because the hotbar system for keyboard doesn't have visual customisation that I can get used to. Having to hold CTRL/whatever+number is like... taking a massive risk if you have to move quickly since you're sacrificing WASD to use a move on the second hotbar. The benefit of the controller in this context is that you can fire off like 10 moves at once while you're still moving. I thought mapping a second hotbar to numpad might fix this feeling for me, but it didn't. Being able to cycle between hotbars (which you can do) but still physically able to see both (which you can't) may also fix this, but the game doesn't have an option for it.

Everything else, keyboard and mouse wins. Inventory management, customisability, any kind of input. Even when I played on PS3 and PS4 I used a keyboard and mouse for chat and inventory stuff, but in terms of actually playing the game with the classes I'm running end-game content with, I use a controller. I'll probably switch between the two again as time goes by, but as someone who has now been running end content for almost two years, it's hard to say one is better than the other when the benefits and drawbacks of each are contextual.

Before you turn your nose up at the controller for the game, give it a go. What you need to remember is that SE have gone to great lengths to have a very robust controller system for the game due to the PS release, so it's nowhere near as limiting as you might think.

EDIT:
Btw I know there is that whole preference thing and shit, but the amount of people I see using it and recommending it over KB+M in the community is a little over the top. Not once have I seen *Why* it's recommended so now I'm in the dark. It's a genuine question not intended to shit on people who choose controller over KB+M or who are unable to make the choice.

This is a common misconception btw, you can use Keyboard and Mouse controls on both PS3 and PS4 (USB ofc). I found the PS3 input a bit laggy though.

Last edited:

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I almost always used cycling in some form or other, though. At the very least, marking enemies and taking the time to plan didn't require precision clicking with the mouse.

I think the differences are pretty moot since in both control schemes almost everything can be customized. I tried out the controller layout on my PC using one of my Xbox 360 pads (:monster:) and despite the asymmetry, I was really quite impressed with the design of the control layout. In the past I really didn't think it was even possible to put a hotbar MMO onto a console, but there it is.

I think it's definitely clunkier and at times holding down bumper buttons to cycle through different "hotbars" really feels like a bandaid solution, but I was certainly surprised by how functional it was. On a "competitive" level I don't think it will ever best a KBAM but on the public grind I don't see too much of a disadvantage if people are already used to it and trained with it.

Lex

Administrator
Pic Dump (right-click -> open image in new tab for full effect)

2metOVZ.jpg

GEu8bLk.jpg

bCg7NMZ.jpg

lDgBbzC.jpg

JPwx0nX.jpg

pDFV0CB.jpg

pdRbBOp.jpg

jrEVvH1.jpg

XWlcUSo.jpg

VGZ5Q4F.jpg

1OOtQTy.jpg

8FO6Utq.jpg

bAMqgcK.jpg

za9uaNS.jpg

ZTDbSTg.jpg

RhCGLZG.jpg

OFBcokA.jpg

qNGJ0ZB.jpg

yET6R76.jpg

tQwgRhz.jpg

wzCUCb1.jpg

EC6fy3Z.jpg

3pgbgtj.jpg

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Ah I see. I can definitely see why someone wouldn't use KB+M on a PS3/4 input lag is butts and even if it wasn't present playing with a KB+M 6ft+ away from the monitor is imo really janky. Had no idea KB+M worked on console though. Good to know.

I'll preface this by saying I don't think I am to much of a pc master race user as I've been playing both PC and Console all of my life lol. So i don't think I'm tooooo biased though I very likely am.

I can see why you prefer controller over KB+M especially in the movement scenarios. That's mostly because you try to move like your using a controller instead of a keyboard and that's where the disconnect is for you.

Movement: By miles this is the biggest thing that's better with a controller. I notice that using KB+M, pressing S does a kind of slow back-off thing. When I hold in down on the controller (S should have the same function imo), my character immediately turns and runs. With KB+M you have to physically turn the character with the mouse and run. I got used to it on PC, but it's just miles faster with a controller and it makes dodging AoE a lot easier.

The S thing. That's called backpedalling and is a mechanic/punishment that has been in MMO's for years now. In WoW for instance you get laughed at if your caught back pedaling in a Raid. (Once got a straggler kicked from an achievement run on ICC/Lich King for back pedaling to much :P)

I can see why someone would prefer a controller over KB+M in the scenario of the quick turn, But setting up a macro to S could quickly remedy this. But its actually not necessary once you get used to KB+M movement because hitting S isn't really the first thing that comes to mind when wanting to maneuver away or backwards.

For instance I play most MMO's with out WASD. I only use Strafe left and right and the mouse for movement and fly around the fights and maps like a bat out of hell lol. This is also a pretty regular movement style for a lot of MMO (and some shooters to!) If you get used to playing like that , or just using the mouse in general you will be able to control the camera just as well and fast as a "turn direction" macro, or just use said macro in addition to as well its kind of inconsequential.

Targeting: By miles better with KB+M. There's no other way about it. With a mouse you can just click on whatever you need. With a controller it's not as bad as it might seem, but it is a little clunky. Basically X targets the thing closest to you, circle to "un-target", left and right d-pad to cycle, up and down d-pad to cycle amongst party. The only class this badly affects is the healers. Cycling is never going to be as good as pointing and clicking.

This is kind of a disappointment. I kind of thought that this might be the reason the controller might be preferred I'd assumed the target cycling was different/better on controller. Coming from other PC games the target cycling with just tab in FF14 is really really bad and not nearly robust enough. There is no reason that hitting Tab wont target the monster that is exactly 5feet away from my face, instead it targets that one monster 30 ft in the back that hasn't even entered the battle. WTF! lol

Sure I can click it but damn it I want tabbing to be better! lol

Rotation: The cross hotbar for controller is a lot more visual, in the sense that you just look at it and know what button to press. I realise numbering the Keyboard hotbars makes it super simple (1-= etc.) but I found myself mis-hitting quite a lot (meaning to hit 3 and hitting 4 or any other combination of fuck-ups) and into the bargain it was nearly impossible for me to hit the normal amount of buttons required for my super cooldown combo when compared to doing it on the controller. A mechanical keyboard might fix this (because it recognises a higher number of simultaneous inputs), but having set up my Keyboard hotbars in such a way that it was the simplest possible, I still got moves/ CD's and combos off a lot faster with the controller than on KB+M. This is because the hotbar system for keyboard doesn't have visual customisation that I can get used to. Having to hold CTRL/whatever+number is like... taking a massive risk if you have to move quickly since you're sacrificing WASD to use a move on the second hotbar. The benefit of the controller in this context is that you can fire off like 10 moves at once while you're still moving. I thought mapping a second hotbar to numpad might fix this feeling for me, but it didn't. Being able to cycle between hotbars (which you can do) but still physically able to see both (which you can't) may also fix this, but the game doesn't have an option for it.

I think this goes back to you wanting to move with a keyboard like your on a controller. In order to use a KB+M you have to drop the old habits of console gaming and you will see the differences start to add up.

I play Bard and Im NEVER standing still. When I play Ninja I also am not standing still and pulling off all of the Rogue+Ninja combos in the right flank positions (front, flank, back).

If you aren't comfortable using Ctrl/Shift+Num for alternate spells on the bar than don't use it. For instance for most of my classes I use 1-6+QWER for my main spells and interrupts on 7 and beyond and menu functions were rebound to Shift+Their original key to ensure I don't "fat finger" a menu open mid fight lol.

I have one friend who uses RDFG instead of WASD and everything west of that and the 4 key are bound to his bars. He says it's amazing though I dont quite believe him lol.

My point is though sit down for 10 minutes and find a comfy set up beyond the default bindings. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get your spells off while moving (well except for interrupting due to movement xD).

About not fat fingering (hitting 3 instead of 4) it comes with time and it will happen here and there. But its not so bad I guess controllers legit have that over KB+M fosho.

Before you turn your nose up at the controller for the game, give it a go. What you need to remember is that SE have gone to great lengths to have a very robust controller system for the game due to the PS release, so it's nowhere near as limiting as you might think.

I'll give it a try sometime. It's just some of the hoops that controller players have to go through that are either KB+M defaults or can easily bound and macro'd ...I have a hard time wrapping my head around how it can be more convenient than just using the tried and true KB+M

edit:

I have to agree with Satsu.

The fact that there is even valid discussion and debate over viability of controller and KBAM on a MMORPG that was converted to console says A LOT. Phenomenal work on SE's part really.

edit:

Also stealing KBAM.

edit:

To clarify when I say the hoops controller players have to jump through. I could be misinformed possibly? I've see console/controller players on the subreddit go over the macros they use for when playing the controller and a lot of is stuff that I wouldn't have to macro on KBAM at all.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
All valid points :monster:

To clarify when I say the hoops controller players have to jump through. I could be misinformed possibly? I've see console/controller players on the subreddit go over the macros they use for when playing the controller and a lot of is stuff that I wouldn't have to macro on KBAM at all.

I'd be able to dig deeper into this with you if you've got a specific example. There are simple things that aren't instantly accessible by hitting keys like menuing, but it can all be mapped to button inputs on the controller so I'm having trouble knowing what you mean.

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
All valid points :monster:

I'd be able to dig deeper into this with you if you've got a specific example. There are simple things that aren't instantly accessible by hitting keys like menuing, but it can all be mapped to button inputs on the controller so I'm having trouble knowing what you mean.

Ill hunt down the stuff I've seen and edit it into this post tonight-ish.

Though I gotta say I hate healing on KBAM I can only imagine how hard it is on controller lol.

Though I am spoiled by WoW's grids and raid frame mods.

Lex

Administrator
I don't have a problem healing on controller tbh. Cycling through allies is super easy just using up and down on the dpad, it only targets the party (goes through the list in the order you press).

My main problem is kind of.... accessible real estate on the hotbars with "KBAM" (ty satsu). I have both a contextual and default rotation, including contextual CD's and cross class skills that I've studied and absolutely cemented as a DRG because I know what gets the highest DPS and in what situation.

You would think this would make it easy since I know what's coming and when to use what. But the problem is, in total, I have around 27ish moves that need to be easily accessibly to me, quickly, at all times in battle. I literally use every single move aside from Feint which is useless late-game, and Leg Sweep very rarely when I'm tasked with stunning and Spineshatter Dive is on CD. When you break it down and consider that I can hit 1-6(ish) without fucking up, then I need at least 5 hotbars. If I map buffs to numpad, I need 4. Right now I need 2, and all I need to do is hit a button to cycle between them.

Maybe I was going about it the wrong way, idk. I was trying to map my rotation to 1 - = but now that I've watched a few vids I think what I really need to do is completely create my experience with it from the ground up. Like rather than tweaking the controls, just making them myself.

It could be interesting to say... make the rotation spell out my name or something. That way it would be impossible to get it wrong XD

Also when are you transferring to our server. Fuck your friends, come be with me. Or better yet bring them with you.

Lex

Administrator
Shamelessly reposting my picdump because I'm a whore

Pic Dump (right-click -> open image in new tab for full effect)

2metOVZ.jpg

GEu8bLk.jpg

bCg7NMZ.jpg

lDgBbzC.jpg

JPwx0nX.jpg

pDFV0CB.jpg

pdRbBOp.jpg

jrEVvH1.jpg

XWlcUSo.jpg

VGZ5Q4F.jpg

1OOtQTy.jpg

8FO6Utq.jpg

bAMqgcK.jpg

za9uaNS.jpg

ZTDbSTg.jpg

RhCGLZG.jpg

OFBcokA.jpg

qNGJ0ZB.jpg

yET6R76.jpg

tQwgRhz.jpg

wzCUCb1.jpg

EC6fy3Z.jpg

3pgbgtj.jpg

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Maybe I was going about it the wrong way, idk. I was trying to map my rotation to 1 - =

Yeah thats waaay to far out lol. Ideally you don't your main actions to extend to far beyond your movement binds or natural hand positioning. So for instance since I strafe with A and D only 6 is about as far as I comfortably keep my binds and only keep specific scenario casts beyond that neatly out of the way lol. After that as I stated earlier I use some alphabet keys and beyond that its Shift variants of the number and alphabet keys for other casts.

Remember that you can run with only holding down left and right click on the mouse by default and keybind around that and you can actually open up a lot of options. It's why I have W bound as a spell :monster:

For min/maxing your key binds and bars I'd suggest looking up what ever old school WoW players did. They had to deal with a staggering amount of spells and macro'd actions (cast+AA etc), and equipment activates that were all necessary to game.

The result was bars that looked like this lol

WoW-So-Many-UI-So-Buttons.jpg

I didn't play WoW hardcore back then ( I was more of a late MoP and WoD raider) so i don't really know how they approached binding for 30+ keys.

Though honestly getting used to Shift+Key works wonders. It takes time and is awkward at first but once it becomes second nature and your pinky dexterity for it gets there its a game changer and takes managing the bars to a whole other level.

Depending on your mouse , could also bind keyboard functions to your mouse keys as well. So if hitting shift/control on the keyboard is not fluid enough you could macro it into your mouses thumb/side panel buttons and use that to cast secondary bar binds.

edit:

Ill bring up server hopping with my buddies. We are in what we think might be a stepping stone kind of guild at the moment that may or may not fill our hardcore raiding needs in the future. They're are cool people but were unsure if they can satisfy us haha so hopping may not be out of the question.

edit:

I feel like such a punk lol.
I'm scrolling through the subreddit and cant find the discussion where I saw all of the suggested controller macros and stuff.

The only one that comes to mind is one that was a long the lines of a face target Macro. Which still doesn't make sense to me in the context if you were just using a mouse lol.

Ill keep digging though.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I've done a bit of server research and Phoenix is the most populated server here followed by us on Cerberus. From what I know, when it comes to coil and hardcore raiding Cerberus and Odin (Odin is 3rd most populated) are always first at cutting edge content. Phoenix is universally regarded as a "casual" server, although I've no idea why. It's all over the Reddit.

So I'll be sticking with Cerberus. It's the one we went for when we all joined and I don't see any reason to leave now. It's pretty friendly and there's a good mix of casual/serious. I feel like there's no one here but that's because everyone from TLS who plays is very rarely online right now, everyone is waiting for Heavensward. I haven't seen a single person in our FC for over a month and it's driving me nuts. Progression wise I've stagnated because I haven't found a static yet, but it's really important to me to progress and farm the end-game content. Other FC's have tried to recruit me, but I don't want to leave ours. In fact I couldn't even if I wanted to, because I bought the house.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Hi guys, I used to post a lot on ACF years ago, and just had a bit of a nostalgia trip and ended up here. I used to be Pinkfish on ACF a really long time ago, I'm not sure if any of you would remember me. But yeah I play FFXIV, and I'm on Cerberus too, it's a good server for raiding. I'm currently working on T9 Savage with my static.

Lex

Administrator
Hey that's awesome! If you want to give your in-game character name Joe can add it to the FC thread. Count on a /tell later today :D

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Oh my character name is Clair Delune http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2411805/

I also run an FC on the server called 90K, you might have seen us around Limsa/ Mor Dhona. I'm on most evenings/weekends/wheneverreallifedoesn'tgetintheway. Are there many active players from the forums on the game? Oh and where do I see the FC thread?

Edit: OH SHIT!! I'm in your Shiva Screenshots with a couple of members from my FC O_O

Last edited:

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Thats so funny, what a strange coincidence :D

I saw someone saying about healing on a controller in the thread, for White Mage its actually better to use a controller, and there are less macros. Scholar is harder in a controller as you loose the ability to manage your pet as accurately.

Lex

Administrator
You're free to post in that thread btw :monster:

We don't have any free company secrets or anything XD. We're relatively small, I'm the only person I know of that actually continues to do endgame stuff at the moment.

EDIT: I got confused and thought the controller discussion was happening in our FC thread, so disregard my comment about you posting elsewhere XD.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
haha no worries, I just said hi in there anyway. Well being as you guys have been sharing screen shots, I have loads, I usually photoshop them for the FC website. Heres a before and after of my most recent http://imgur.com/a/6ILFj

How far are you into the end game by the way?

Top Bottom