The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
My item lvls are all 110-133 now, huzzah. :monster:

I've also got some silver feathers I'm pondering a use for. I'm pretty certain I want to use 5 of them for the Hellfire Axe(?), which I can use at lvl 60, but what to spend the other 5 on I'm not sure yet.

I keep getting the feeling that Haurchefant has some kind of crush on my character :lol: Either that or a really deep sort of...admiration/friendship/whatever. He just keeps reacting around her a few times in ways which makes me feel like he's a bit infatuated. XD

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
For those of you at or near level 70, were there any points in the main story like in Heavensward where it suddenly halted and you needed a level or two to continue? I am trying to decide if I want to do the daily leveling roulette on my main, PLD, or a different job. If the story doesn't have any gaps, I would rather then get some extra xp for another job with the roulette, and maybe even do the hunts with another job, while leveling PLD through the SB story.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
You can't just follow the MSQ from 60 to 70. I've been supplementing my levelling with daily levelling+50/60 alongside some of the sidequests. I think I'm ahead of the curve though so you won't need too much to stay on top of things.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah I'd recommend the daily levelling. I also did a few sidequests as I progressed. But the only point I wasn't a high enough level for the MSQ (having done all that) was the level 70 MSQ, which took me literally one minute to get - from map completion XD.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Yep. Doing daily leveling roulette should keep you sorted.

Just hit 70. The DRK questline seemed really lame this time around, but that level 70 quest actually ties it all together so well that it's amazing.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
So far (lvl 65 atm) I only had to grind a little (like 20% to fill up the bar?) at certain points, nothing too bad yet.

I'm trying to avoid the sidequests that don't give me anything but XP, they're kind of a grind without reward :monster:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Always take the sidequests with the plus sign, because they unlock side content - mostly the aether currents to let you fly, but one in particular unlocks the second dungeon.

But yeah, the "I need to be the next level before I can do the next msq" happens a few times, but it's nothing a good daily leveling won't sort most of the time. I did it last night when I needed ~2m exp to hit 70 - while the end of dungeon bonuses (adv in need, duty roulette, first time, boss dead) stuff gave me like 1.6m, it was the level 65 dungeon and I'd popped food so I'm pretty sure I only got so little because I'd capped :P

At lower levels, doing a fate or two isn't bad, because if you get the Twist of Fate proc, it will double (I think?) the exp you get from the next fate you do, which can be pretty good imo. Best in the first (level 60) area though.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have pretty much been doing the MSQ and all the sidequests that pop up in areas around the current MSQ. I also have been doing the occasional extra XP fates. Maybe I will alternate doing the leveling roulette on PLD one day and with another class the next.

Lex

Administrator
new players be like

owlbgra.gif

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^ My wife had that trouble just the other night when I took her through it. Everybody just rushes right through and she was left behind so much (well "we", I was asticking by her).

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Lvl 60-70 Summoner job quests took the class exactly where I was hoping it would go: namely various Allagan tech starts reacting to you and you need to figure out why that is. And it reiterates the concept that Arcanists/Summoners use calculations to manipulate aether and how that can go horribly right/wrong. Let's just say you end up finding out what else is in Azys Lla aside from the Warring Triad....

And Lvl 70 Summoner is awesome to play once you figure out the way the rotations fit together. That said, the full rotation takes at least 2 minutes to get though, so it'll be interesting to see how it fits around boss phases, etc. IE: rushing Bahamut in Susano before Phase 2 starts causes you to have less DPS in phase 2 (where it matters more) then if you save Bahamut for phase 2... speaking of Susano, I've got him down to 15% HP...

5dbbe04624b34a2c1ed010f5c628ff31fbc6896a.jpg
Which looks way better then the Lvl 60 gear. Like I'm already planning on using parts of this as my main glamour...

27b66ca4c810696524014ed6a6a69f38a26bcc67.jpg
To bad he can't fit in the guild house...

Loved the story right up until the last boss. Not to say the boss fight isn't cool. It's that it felt rushed. Like Shinryu had been pushed as this big thing since the end of HW and he's dead already? I feel like it would be as if we fought Nidhogg on the Final Steps of Faith at the end of 3.0 instead of saving it for 3.3.

Also... Zenos... you defeated us twice as you are normally and you go turn yourself into a type of being we've defeated multiple times... *slowclap*

I don't know, the pacing of the SB MSQ feels rushed overall. I think a lot of it has to do with how most of the characters we're meeting are new, while in HW we'd already met a lot of the key players in the ARR MSQ already. So I don't feel as emotionally attached to situation I guess?

Also, I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for where the MSQ is going to go from here. Yes, Ala Migo and Doma are now free of oppression and we now have to rebuild them. How many times has this story been done before? I feel like in a lot of ways SB is a much simpler story then HW is as it's fairly obvious what the problem is/will be and what needs to be done to solve it. Fortunately for the plot we know there's going to be opposition... So my offical reaction to where stuff is going is "meh".

Omega though... heh... watching smart people trying to sabotage eachother over tech they don't fully understand is a lot of fun...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^Yes, though the sound effect of that bouncing
book
are driving me crazy. Just sit still! :monster:

Thought this was a
AmmVO6t.jpg

(I like how the book hovers in Ruin IV :P )

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
https://gfycat.com/DefinitiveImpeccableAndeancondor

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^ I actually started watching part one today. I'm going to finish it and watch Part Two tonight!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It was hard to justify the watching the long videos over playing Stormblood, but due to your snark I watched. Well-snarked, that was incredible. I was enraptured the whole time, haha.

Firstly, I'm amazed at the ability for these random (? Maybe they aren't random, I didn't look into what sort of clout they may have had) youtube people to meet with staff members at Square, including the CEO! I know it was patreon funded, but still, that alone won't convince the company to meet with you, so that's amazing.

Next, I saw no mention of the "outsourced to a Chinese company" thing, was that a thing that happened in a minor sense and got blown out of proportion as so often happens?

Obviously, Naoki Yoshida is a damned hero. He seems to be a genius of game design, I'd be fascinated to see him work on a single-player Final Fantasy. Of course, if his expertise is in MMOs, perhaps a single player game would not be as well served by him. But his views for project management and priorities and such would benefit any game. I'm glad he's on that "future of SE" committee we reported on awhile ago, if that's still a thing. Also, his candidness is of course remarkable. It would be surprising to hear a Western employee blatantly speak about what their employer did wrong in a public forum, to hear a Japanese employee do it is almost unthinkable. Now, the fact that it has a happy ending makes it easier I'm sure, but still, kudos to the Square PR team for actually allowing that to be included. It shows a...maturity, for lack of a better word.

Lastly, I want to have a beer with that Koji localizer guy. (Also Yoshida, but I'd have to get a lot more familiar with Japanese first.) What a genuine, cool man with a super-unique perspective. How did that project nail him down specifically? Can TLS get in touch with him? Does he work on anything else or just FFXIV? Because XIV's localization is fantastic.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I'm amazed by the candidness of Yoshida too. Even the part where he says "corporate PR will probably cut this, but..." and then proceeds to explain the problems that were within the company at the time. Really impressive stuff.

I've heard of the guy who made these (NoClip) before, his name is Danny O'Dwyer and he used to be a host at GameSpot but left because he wanted to make these things through crowdfunding. There's a video somewhere on that YouTube channel (potentially the first one) where he explains who he is and why he wants to do what he does.

This docu is a 3-parter btw, the third and final part is due out tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

Top Bottom