The General Turks Worship Thread

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Funny... The Reno in my head is more naked... ;)

It seems to be a common thing with Square Enix's characters, though. If they're young, they're going to look it. I don't think Reno looks 12... early 20s, maybe late teens at a stretch. Cloud doesn't look any older than Reno, to me (actually I think he looks a little younger).

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Funny... The Reno in my head is more naked... ;)

Reno goes commando, it is known. :monster:

It seems to be a common thing with Square Enix's characters, though. If they're young, they're going to look it. I don't think Reno looks 12... early 20s, maybe late teens at a stretch. Cloud doesn't look any older than Reno, to me (actually I think he looks a little younger).

Thats the thing though, He doesn't look young in the OG, I think he was in his late 20's, possibly early 30's. They made him look a similar age to Cloud for no good reason that I can see.

I suppose I should be thankful that Tseng looked like a well preserved 30+ :monster:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I approve of
1e4dd2f6670e7834ceddb52829aec827.jpg

reno__smokin___hot_by_onpaperwings.jpg

ff7_reno_the_turk_by_claude_neix.jpg

reno___naked__what_by_ellypoo.jpg

1035561%20-%20Final_Fantasy_VII%20Sephiroth%20Vincent_Valentine%20cloud_strife%20reno.jpg

1216962%20-%20Final_Fantasy_VII%20Ponderosa%20Rufus_Shinra%20reno.jpg

tumblr_mvnwevmgxC1qgi0pqo1_1280.jpg

Also, I think a lot of Japanese men look really young - especially celebrities.

g2_350.jpg

40 years old!

And I do argue that the character designs draw a lot from the look of J-Pop stars

7777f487c18e534adf2b8f6813714f64.jpg

Or maybe J-pop stars modeled their looks on manga and video game design styles - I don't really know - but I will say a young, androgynous look could just be a matter of aesthetic.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
must... not... hijack... thread...

LOL - I'm aware not everyone likes the idea of Turks as good guys - but I will argue that since the Turks and Tifa are friendly in AC and we get them as protagonists in BC - it would make sense if FFVII showed them in a more sympathetic light. If only to explain why Tifa laughs when Reno calls her like it's an old friend -

Also - in canon Reeve does take responsibility for Sector 7 in Case of Denzel and probably is grappling with guilt which I'd like to see explored - maybe make a thread for this in the remake forum - do we want the Turks more sympathetic in the remake?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hijacking it is! Make that thread if you want, I'll be there.

We see how powerless Reeve is in disc two. All it takes is one word from Heidegger and soldiers march in and take him away. And all he did was get a bit mouthy.

The Turks have far, far more options. They have the skills to disappear (shown in game), have a bunch of blackmail material (shown in game), are good at wriggling out of orders (shown in game), and often don't get punished for directly defying orders (shown in game). They're not willing to give up about two hours of vacation time in Wutai, and as a direct result, soldiers die. They had choices.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I think it's kind of inevitable that they're going to have to bring everything into line with the compilation, I just hope it isn't too bad.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Hijacking it is! Make that thread if you want, I'll be there.

We see how powerless Reeve is in disc two. All it takes is one word from Heidegger and soldiers march in and take him away. And all he did was get a bit mouthy.

The Turks have far, far more options. They have the skills to disappear (shown in game), have a bunch of blackmail material (shown in game), are good at wriggling out of orders (shown in game), and often don't get punished for directly defying orders (shown in game). They're not willing to give up about two hours of vacation time in Wutai, and as a direct result, soldiers die. They had choices.

I'm not saying Reeve is culpable, but I am saying he personally feels he bares blame. So it might make him sympathetic for others in the company. He knows the Turks , he knows their situation - and knows them as people to the extent that he knows they aren't cold blooded killers or monsters. I don't want to downplay what happened in Sector 7 - but I think we should explore the moral grayness.

Also- I will point out the Turks situation changes after President Shinra is dead since he was the one who was out for their blood.

I made the thread though to continue the discussion of narrative changes to make characterization more uniform across the compilation.

But I got into the series via AC, Case of Shinra, and BC - so I'm more on the side of compilation stuff.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I too prefer the original weasel look for Reno. I also pegged him to be around the same age as Cid, 34/5 I think. His original appearance didn't lessen his appeal for so many fans so I don't know why they prettified him in AC (merchandise, I'm guessing).

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Well how did fans depict him pre-BC/AC (BC came first) - I'm sure there are plenty of doujinshi from 1997 - 2004. I think maybe the pretty Reno in fan art is what caused the change.

Also now I'm going to imagine Reno staring in Foot Loose

ed8fe544eaea08bb3c95b33c15566ef7.jpg

Kevin Bacon was not un-pretty.

Last edited:

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Well how did fans depict him pre-BC/AC (BC came first) - I'm sure there are plenty of doujinshi from 2007 - 2004. I think maybe the pretty Reno in fan art is what caused the change.

I think that is probably a very real possibility. AC Reno really does look like he was pulled straight from the pages of doujinshi.

But Kevin Bacon's features are too blunt and not ferret-y enough. He looks, well, nice.

I am sure it was the pretty fan art that made SE decide to go with pretty Reno. After all, they managed to make Tseng, Rude, Barret and Cid ( and even Reeve) look like men, so they can do it when they want to. It was just the fan-faves Cloud, Reno and Vincent that they prettified. It's probably no coincidence that none of the un-pretty ones had playarts figures.

I have fruitfully spent my time turning the Turks into mer-people. Here they are:

tseng%20merman_zpsnzyymlrc.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rude%20merman_zpslczzahs7.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Elena%20mermaid_zpsrrpfmcoi.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

reno%20merman_zpsjuizjohi.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time well spent.

Cabaret

Donator
Also, I think a lot of Japanese men look really young - especially celebrities.

g2_350.jpg

40 years old!

Yeah but when they hit 50...
108707961-portrait-of-mature-man-smiling-gettyimages.jpg

Those two pics you posted, the above and the J pop star, I'll bet they've had nose jobs. Nothing wrong with that, it's totally their choice of course. But I notice that when a character needs to looks hard or mean or particularly prettified, they are given a Western nose job in anime. Whereas Good guys/cute women tend to have the nose more Japanese style, with a low bridge.... I think, I could be wrong! (Tifa, Aerith - low bridge, every bloke - high bridge.. no?)

So basically, to be a Turk, you first need a nose job or people won't think you mean or pretty enough to get away with being a liked bad guy! :P

Edit - so love the mer-people, esp Tseng, & while I didn't really like Elena's hair (I like her angular), I looooove her fishy parts and corset! Yep, I just said that! :closedmonster:

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Holy #(*&# how long has it been??

I don't even know if you guys remember me still.

Whaddap fellas?!?!?!

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
I remember you! I havent posted on TLS in a looooong time. Maybe we can revive this thread by talking about what we want from the turks in the new remake. We can talk about what we want in terms of additional scenes, appearances, personalities, dialogue and all that!!

I cant wait to see Tseng slap Aerith.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I hope they don't take away the ambiguity and have them all be secret heroes working against the company and deliberately allowing AVALANCHE to run free at their discretion, or secretly helping them for some reason. The sequels and fandom can veer in that direction a bit.

Also, I wanna see Elena being dangerous as well as clumsy and lovestruck.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Don't make Rude and Reno like they were in AC, pl0x!

Also, this ain't gonna happen, but get rid of standard animu prettyboy Reno. :sadpanda:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Also, this ain't gonna happen, but get rid of standard animu prettyboy Reno. :sadpanda:

Well, this might not be totally out of the question, I mean they did redesign Barret's look a little, so they might do it with the Turks too. I'm very interested in seeing what they all look like and if there's any changes like with Barret.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Don't make Rude and Reno like they were in AC, pl0x!

I still want them to be hot! If they make Reno true to his OG design, maybe he will have a Daryl Dixon kinda sexiness to him, I'm cool with that. As for Rude I mean his AC/C design looks similar to the OG, I dont think there much you can do to him but I am okay with that cause he is sexy as is, maybe make him a bit more muscular. Speaking of muscles, this brings me to their body designs. In AC/C, it looked like their suits were wearing them and they werent wearing the suits (although id love to see them without their suits on)...anyway.. I want them to be more form fitting, like they should be. I want to see the outline of Rude nice big arms in the suit.

Also, Tseng asking Elena out for dinner, please let that be in there.

Also more Turk scenes. Maybe we can see Tseng or someone giving Reno the order to drop the plate and what his reaction to that is. Or Tsengs thoughts on slapping the shit out of Aerith, or maybe the others Turks reaction to both of those situations. Also seeing Elena being called up to be a Turk and meeting Tseng, Reno and Rude for the first time. Oh I can go on...

Given that they are releasing the game as a series of episodes, I would be thrilled if one of the episodes was from the POV of the Turks, or at least offered that option.

Top Bottom