The General Turks Worship Thread

youffie

Pro Adventurer
RE: Rude's (and Barret's?) skintone, I've seen people guess it could be because of the lighting, which will likely be improved and tweaked until the game releases.

Since we're talking about Tseng, I hope we get to see more of his relationship with Aeris. I wonder, will he slap her this time around?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
That Elena age discussion has me thinking about Elena. We'll have to wait a while to see her, but I've been thinking about how why I like her and why I am excited to see her. Elena is a true badass, but like almost every 18-20 year old, her soft skills are awful and, naturally, she's afflicted by silly crushes. Browsing TVTropes for inspiration, it's hard to put her in a category. Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass is a neater fit than Badass Adorable, The Ditz, or Girly Bruiser, which would make her a rare female example. I think she's naturally dorky, extroverted, and compassionate, but my headcanon is that a lot of her ditziness in the OG is due to awkwardness and age rather than pure stupidity. I'd like to see what she was like as a bartender. The dorkiness could have been both a blessing and a curse, but she can kick ass, so all is well.

Strong Independent Woman™ characters are great and all, but FFVII is about nuanced, human characters, and warns against idol worship.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
She's been my favourite Turk since I first found out about the Wutai subquest, where she's willing to help infantry even when it's not to her direct advantage.

How does that phrase go? 'If you want to take the measure of someone, look at how they treat their inferiors.'

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Elena is definitely the heart of the group. She seems to have a good influence on the Shinra company, and being instinctively kind, is probably the most cognizant of preventing it from defaulting back to its old ways. She seems to have finally garnered the respect of her co workers. Rufus listens to her input as well.

Something that annoys me, though (a complaint that has been iterated by many people), is how Reno in AC was abruptly cast into her old role of blabbermouth. His rebuild Shinra line is totally the kind of thing he would have chastised her for in the original. Too bad she wasn’t there to give him hell. :monster: We know Rude’s got his lips sealed about that slip up. Hopefully the remake clears up some of the apparent inconsistencies in Reno’s character. Elena’s changes were more linear and readily intuitive.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
I can't wait to see Rufus soon. I want to see how this outfit will be changed the Remake:
latest

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Elena is probably the kindest and most innocent of the Turks. Yet, that softness doesn't hinder her potential to smash face or be a threat.

Her role in Before Crisis showcased her competency and ability to think on her feet even as a high schooler. She really is a unique badass. I eagerly await to see her in action in the Remake. It'd be interesting to see her martial arts skills compared to Rude and Tifa.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I can't wait to see Rufus soon. I want to see how this outfit will be changed the Remake:
latest

A screenshot of the upper half of his model was leaked, if you're interested.

You can't see all that much, and the lighting is not good, but his lapel is rufflier and he has a pen now. :P His jacket doesn't look double breasted anymore, and you can't tell if he's wearing a second coat underneath. I wouldn't be too surprised if they got rid of it and just changed it to a single long jacket, since that's probably the major thing people remember about his clothes. I don't think a lot of people even realized that he wore two jackets. It doesn't look like he's wearing a turtleneck anymore, but his shirt is still black. I think they'll keep the boots, because even in AC, he appeared to be wearing boots when he fell into the net, and it fits into his vaguely militaristic tastes. I think he'd look really good with white spats, though. Also, on the topic of military style, it looks like there is a button for a shoulder mark.

His facial features look a lot like AC, especially the eyes. His lips are even more thicc. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Hairline is still a little unrealistic like in AC, which has always been slightly off-putting to me.

Fuck, and his shotgun. Shit is beltloaded. That would be a ridiculously impractical/dangerous shotgun IRL, but it evokes game logic rule of cool, so I love it. He's literally strolling into a massacre to take over a company, so it would make sense for him to bring an obnoxious weapon, especially since he'll have to fight Cloud with it.

I was already mentally prepared for him to not be a ginger, so I'm mostly at peace with that.

Honestly, "kind" isn't a word I'd use to describe Elena. In the lateral biography, she's described as 'scary'. She has a very strongly developed sense of justice and can be vicious in enforcing it. She's also characterised as jumping to conclusions: she likes to beat someone to a pulp first and ask questions afterwards. I think her biggest fear is not being taken seriously. Wierdly, canonically Reno is supposed to be the kindest of the Turks, although his kindness is erratic.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Honestly, "kind" isn't a word I'd use to describe Elena. In the lateral biography, she's described as 'scary'. She has a very strongly developed sense of justice and can be vicious in enforcing it. She's also characterised as jumping to conclusions: she likes to beat someone to a pulp first and ask questions afterwards. I think her biggest fear is not being taken seriously. Wierdly, canonically Reno is supposed to be the kindest of the Turks, although his kindness is erratic.

She's kind if you're on her good side.. She's friendly, caring, and principled, but she does seem to be rather hot headed/impulsive when her values or someone she cares about are threatened, between the scene you described, and the time she took it upon herself to punch Cloud in the face. I definitely see her as someone who has a primal fear of not being taken seriously. It comes with the territory of being the kid sister of a prodigy and having a baby face. A part of her does seem to thrive on conflict.

Not to get into an argument or anything, because you know I respect you guys, but can anyone cite me an instance of Elena being kind? I think I must be forgetting or overlooking something. Or maybe we have different definitions of what 'kind' means?

fwiw, for me, kindness means giving people more of something - attention, patience, forgiveness, support - than fairness would say they deserved.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
The thing that stuck out to me was the fact that she was the one who thought to distribute the medication for free in the first place, and made friends who were afflicted (or came down with) with Geostigma. While she’s extroverted, she doesn’t seem to be sweet or patient, no. I see her kindness as her sense of loyalty toward people she cares for and her desire to work for a better world? The issue is that she’s rather hot headed and sometimes resorts to violence too quickly, which is not kind. So maybe I’m overstating it. Like Rufus, her desire to be taken seriously/beat an unbeatable family member probably clouds her better judgement.

Reno seems to be the one that’s the most outwardly kind/warm to strangers, but I tend to forget about that because of the OG and the sudden character shift sans actual development. Perhaps he’s the true “heart” of the Turks. Maybe he’ll show some remorse in private when he destroys the pillar.

If one thing is for sure, they are all very flawed people. :p

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
She's got balls too. Even as a high school student in Before Crisis, she willingly throws herself into danger when she notices AVALANCHE in Sector 6's slums and literally tails them and sneaks onto the train they're on and keeps her cool. She's clumsy and newbie Turk, but there's real courage and competency behind her talents. She's comedic relief yet also not just there to do nothing.

Oh yes, she's very brave and tough, and impulsive of course, and she has this well-developed sense of justice, and I agree she cares about creating a better world. She's a very believable 18 year old.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
'Kind' may be an overstatement, I'd say 'principled'. She seems to actually believe in what she's doing and be less inclined to wriggle out of orders on technicalities. Reno and Rude make fun of her for trying to do her job beyond what's strictly necessary (in Wutai).

Where the others' primary loyalty is to the Turks themselves as an entity, she seems to believe in what Shinra's doing. So where Reno and Rude go on missions they regard it as more of a job, where she believes she's doing the right thing and will go the extra mile, because she cares about the result beyond professional pride.

The flipside of this is that she can be quicker to hold grudges or go further than necessary to complete a mission.

Legend

Rookie Adventurer
I'm praying that she makes a cameo appearance in Part 1, either in HQ (as an employee hoping to be promoted to the Turks one day), or in Wall Market finishing her last few shifts as a bartender. It's unlikely, but anything's possible.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I'm praying that she makes a cameo appearance in Part 1, either in HQ (as an employee hoping to be promoted to the Turks one day), or in Wall Market finishing her last few shifts as a bartender. It's unlikely, but anything's possible.

I wanna see her tend bar! It would be a cool Easter Egg!

@Clement Rage I agree with your assessment.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
A screenshot of the upper half of his model was leaked, if you're interested.

You can't see all that much, and the lighting is not good, but his lapel is rufflier and he has a pen now. :P His jacket doesn't look double breasted anymore, and you can't tell if he's wearing a second coat underneath. I wouldn't be too surprised if they got rid of it and just changed it to a single long jacket, since that's probably the major thing people remember about his clothes. I don't think a lot of people even realized that he wore two jackets. It doesn't look like he's wearing a turtleneck anymore, but his shirt is still black. I think they'll keep the boots, because even in AC, he appeared to be wearing boots when he fell into the net, and it fits into his vaguely militaristic tastes. I think he'd look really good with white spats, though. Also, on the topic of military style, it looks like there is a button for a shoulder mark.

His facial features look a lot like AC, especially the eyes. His lips are even more thicc. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Hairline is still a little unrealistic like in AC, which has always been slightly off-putting to me.

Fuck, and his shotgun. Shit is beltloaded. That would be a ridiculously impractical/dangerous shotgun IRL, but it evokes game logic rule of cool, so I love it. He's literally strolling into a massacre to take over a company, so it would make sense for him to bring an obnoxious weapon, especially since he'll have to fight Cloud with it.

I was already mentally prepared for him to not be a ginger, so I'm mostly at peace with that.

His design looks great from what I can see so far. The pen is a nice touch to give him a look of "professionalism". The collar on his jacket looks even more flared out than before, and the details on his shoulders are nice. The gloves are still intact too. The double coat thing he had going on in the original art was interesting, but I wasn't sure what it exactly was until you had said so. Changing it to a single long jacket sounds like a good option. The boots and white spats would be SO great. It would fit in with FFVII's new-but-old type of aesthetic it has.

I'm glad his face looks close to his AC design. He has that classically handsome look in his facial features that I've always liked. He certainly looks a bit younger, but that's to be expected because of the timeline. Now that you mentioned his hairline, it looks like they have given him his slight widow's peak back instead of the more straight-across hairline he had in AC.

His gun looks crazy. He even has a scope attached to it. I could imagine that Rufus would only have the finest and most dangerous of weapons in his arsenal. The fight against him will hopefully be really intense.

Him not having even the tiniest bit of red in his hair is a slight bummer. He would have looked just as nice as a strawberry blonde. Oh well.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
His design looks great from what I can see so far. The pen is a nice touch to give him a look of "professionalism". The collar on his jacket looks even more flared out than before, and the details on his shoulders are nice. The gloves are still intact too. The double coat thing he had going on in the original art was interesting, but I wasn't sure what it exactly was until you had said so. Changing it to a single long jacket sounds like a good option. The boots and white spats would be SO great. It would fit in with FFVII's new-but-old type of aesthetic it has.

I'm glad his face looks close to his AC design. He has that classically handsome look in his facial features that I've always liked. He certainly looks a bit younger, but that's to be expected because of the timeline. Now that you mentioned his hairline, it looks like they have given him his slight widow's peak back instead of the more straight-across hairline he had in AC.

His gun looks crazy. He even has a scope attached to it. I could imagine that Rufus would only have the finest and most dangerous of weapons in his arsenal. The fight against him will hopefully be really intense.

Him not having even the tiniest bit of red in his hair is a slight bummer. He would have looked just as nice as a strawberry blonde. Oh well.

I think what annoys me about his hairline is that it's abrupt. Usually hair at a hairline is a bit thinner than the rest of the hair, and there is a subtle transition. But it does look better than in AC, I think. His hair also looks very shiny.

Regarding the red, I'm gonna just install a mod/DLC on game 2 and pretend it's canon. :monster: It seems that everyone on TLS prefers ginger Rufus. I wonder if that reflects the rest of the fandom? One of the reasons I liked the noticeable red tones is because it played with the rich blondy trope instead of fully conceding to it.

If by intense you mean to get him out of breath and sweaty, I agree. :awesome: I wonder how the boss fight will be executed. Rufus was not that strong on his own - he had a guard hound casting barrier on him constantly, went against a single party member, and had low HP. I actually hope they keep it that way, or have him just be a glass cannon with a crazy gun. I believe the purpose of the fight is solely to establish his character rather than to pose a challenge to the player. That he's not a warrior, but is in decent shape, has an intensely independent streak, and is someone of incredible bravery to back up the arrogance.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Reno seems to be the one that’s the most outwardly kind/warm to strangers, but I tend to forget about that because of the OG and the sudden character shift sans actual development. Perhaps he’s the true “heart” of the Turks. Maybe he’ll show some remorse in private when he destroys the pillar.

The question that follows that, though, is 'so why did he do it, then?'

They never really squared that circle with the Turks. They apparently feel bad about most of the evil things they do... so why do them? It's not like they're under duress, we get shown over and over that they can get away with just ignoring or wriggling out of their orders if they really want to.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
The question that follows that, though, is 'so why did he do it, then?'

They never really squared that circle with the Turks. They apparently feel bad about most of the evil things they do... so why do them? It's not like they're under duress, we get shown over and over that they can get away with just ignoring or wriggling out of their orders if they really want to.

I'm hoping that the remake will bridge the gap, because I understand what you are saying to a degree, particularly with Reno. We know he changed, but there was no character development to elucidate the change, unlike with Rufus. It makes sense that a near apocalypse would change someone profoundly, but that hand-waving alone is not really sufficient from a narrative standpoint. Perhaps he can express remorse off screen.

Top Bottom