The Love Triangle Debate thread of KNEEL BEFORE ZOD OR SUFFER HIS WRATH (ignore the opening posts at your peril) (Round 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I don't understand how you can look at a video game narrative and completely ignore the importance of player-choice.

It's a video game. The narrative is obsolete without the input of the player. That's just how they work.

Sure the story can only pan out a certain way. But if video games tell us anything, it's that the Game Over means little in comparison to the actual experience of getting there.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Player choice is important and I think FFVII incorporates it pretty damn well into the story. It's structured in such a way that any player action that does not adhere to the story is explained by Cloud's fragmented personality, but the player's choices are still meaningful within the given context.

It's a really simple idea, but works remarkably well for FFVII's story.

The narrative is obsolete without the input of the player. That's just how they work.
I think you're thinking of mostly western rpgs where characters are more likely to be avatars for the player. I'm no vg expert, but FFs are largely story-based, with a predetermined set of characters with their own stories.

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
The difference, jayM, is that the fact Aerith is dear to him can be proven and verified with quotes, etc. While to prove he has romantic inclinations to her, well, you need to present actual evidence of those. Simply because an attractive woman is dear to him dosen't mean he was ever romanticaly thinking of pursuing.

You cannot simply jump from dear and important to romantic with nothing to back It up. And the fact It's not romantic dosen't dilute Aerith's importance to Cloud in the least, she is as important to him as Zack, apparently.

Also, I have the need to point out that you are making a simplification with Cloud in regards to his persona. Yea, Real!Cloud's own weaknesses are part of fake!Cloud, but you cannot ignore that real!Cloud's weaknesses are only 1/5 of the mixture. He has to contend with influences such as Sephiroth, Tifa, Zack and Jenova's cells(and this one is pretty damning since this means Cloud can read minds and memories and react accordingly to how people think he is and how he should react. Remember that they attributed his laughing with Aerith to the cells). That being, you cannot attribute one of fake!Cloud's actions to real!cloud when the entire mixture produced the personality and it is ultimately a diametrical, separate opposite to Cloud's true self, which is why he's so different post-Lifestream in AC and end of FFVII.

So yes, we have to draw a thick line because the distance between real!cloud and fake!Cloud is monumental.

~~~~

Also, the thing about the souls, I always thought that was like, just another form of Cloud using personal soul manipulation. You know, people without mako use the power of their own souls to gain super-human statistics, limit breaks...Sephiroth uses it to resist the Lifestream's current, to produce telekinesis, to produce barriers, etc...

So why not a sensing ability? Explains why he felt two completely distinct souls. Seems pretty common on japanese characters.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
The difference, jayM, is that the fact Aerith is dear to him can be proven and verified with quotes, etc. While to prove he has romantic inclinations to her, well, you need to present actual evidence of those. Simply because an attractive woman is dear to him dosen't mean he was ever romanticaly thinking of pursuing.

You cannot simply jump from dear and important to romantic with nothing to back It up. And the fact It's not romantic dosen't dilute Aerith's importance to Cloud in the least, she is as important to him as Zack, apparently.
given the very small window of cloud being single, it would be pretty unfitting for him to ever directly go 'dang aerith had some nice titties.' moreover, she was dead at the point he actually becomes completecloud, and there really isn't much time to dwell on 'aerith was beautiful and wonderful and i loved her'. what he can do is move on and live with tifa, so he does this.

what i don't get is the assertion 'well even if compositecloud liked aerith romantically that means nothing cause compositecloud was nothing like realcloud and they had totally different emotions and everything.' but no matter what, he cares for tifa and wants to protect her. he also cares for aerith and wants to protect her. so if part of him was interested in her, when he became a full person again i don't know why he'd suddenly go 'WHOA THERE i would never date aerith ha ha what was i thinking'.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
given the very small window of cloud being single, it would be pretty unfitting for him to ever directly go 'dang aerith had some nice titties.' moreover, she was dead at the point he actually becomes completecloud, and there really isn't much time to dwell on 'aerith was beautiful and wonderful and i loved her'. what he can do is move on and live with tifa, so he does this.

what i don't get is the assertion 'well even if compositecloud liked aerith romantically that means nothing cause compositecloud was nothing like realcloud and they had totally different emotions and everything.' but no matter what, he cares for tifa and wants to protect her. he also cares for aerith and wants to protect her. so if part of him was interested in her, when he became a full person again i don't know why he'd suddenly go 'WHOA THERE i would never date aerith ha ha what was i thinking'.

I don't think her chances of getting down with Cloud would be reduced to absolute zero, but I think her chances WOULD change, if she lived to see the real Cloud emerge. Just like Tifa wouldn't have had to plead with Cloud and get Barret to overpay to keep him around anymore if it was real Cloud they were hanging out with.

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers

Which is why when I ask for evidence that real!Cloud loves Aerith romantically, I know I'll never get It, because you cannot provide the evidence.

Since it does not exist within the canon.

'well even if compositecloud liked aerith romantically that means nothing cause compositecloud was nothing like realcloud and they had totally different emotions and everything.' but no matter what, he cares for tifa and wants to protect her. he also cares for aerith and wants to protect her. so if part of him was interested in her, when he became a full person again i don't know why he'd suddenly go 'WHOA THERE i would never date aerith ha ha what was i thinking'. so if part of him was interested in her, when he became a full person again i don't know why he'd suddenly go 'WHOA THERE i would never date aerith ha ha what was i thinking'.

No. You're implying fake!Cloud became a part of real!Cloud as If It would've changed aspects of real!Cloud personality, when that clearly was not the point of the scene in question.

What happened was fake!cloud was expunged with it's influences and real!Cloud got to use the front seat.

Of course fake!Cloud's actions towards Tifa would, without a doubt, be different from Real Cloud's as well.

Real!Cloud had no idea who Aerith even was, didn't even have a memory of her. Zack did. When fake!Cloud and real!Cloud met her for the first time, both drew their own conclusions from the same experience, remember that real!Cloud was watching and self-aware.

So, again, no. You're implying an erroneous juxtaposition of emotions, Cloud decided to live out of the illusion, not with It being still an acting part of his character. He has fake!Cloud's memories. That's It. So YES. It would be very much only a memory that he once was romanticaly attachted to Aerith, one of fake's memories. And remember as well, he know which memories are real and which are fake from his now destroyed alternate personality.

~~~~~~

Moreoever, to anwser the rest, I don't understand what's so hard to see that real!Cloud had his own interactions with Aerith from the backseat and formed his own emotions from his separate personality. I've repeated this millions of times before and I'm getting frustrated at the fact people seem to be ignoring that the personalities are completely separate, act and feel separately and can draw their own conclusions.

Apologies for the rant. I'm tired and human.

Last edited:

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
I don't think we actually disagree on this; given the other responses to it I think I just phrased it badly. I do agree that they are different, I just think that people are drawing too thick of a line between them or possibly just interpreting their connection to each other differently. I do view DisC1oud (that is beautiful btw) as a somewhat conscious construction of RealCloud, in that I think some of that "persona" existed before and I don't really think RealCloud fought against HeadfuckCloud being the one in charge.

And I am in complete agreement with this but I think the victorious moment actually began all the way back when Cloud keeps himself from, y'know, killing Aeris. I think initially RealCloud makes no effort to control DisC1oud; then his first effort (@ the temple) fails; then his second effort succeeds but any strength he might've drawn from that is quelled slightly by Sephiroth murdering Aeris in front of him and--

Everyone needs to stop saying interesting things right now because you're getting me off topic. :awesome:

Okay, I apologize for the tangent. If I'm wandering too far from the topic of discussion then I apologize and please just let me know that I should cut it out. Thank you!

To an extent, I agree with Wolfmania that I think there's a more definite line between the two versions of Cloud and I don't think that he had much in the way of actual control. If he could control the other persona and just hadn't been trying then he wouldn't have given the Black Materia to Sephiroth. He's indicated to really be struggling to stop himself, encouraging his other persona to be strong. Even if we do assume that the reason that that he managed to stop himself from killing Aerith is because his real self managed to emerge (Which I actually buy into, but I'll get to that in a second), it still appears DisC1oud (I like this. I'm using this. :) ) that is the one in charge at the time. So, it's not as simple as just him just taking control. DisC1oud has a consciousness and will of his own.

On the other hand, I do agree that I think that Cloud had input into the person that he becomes, although I think it's done unconsciously thanks to the Jenova cells and his own trauma. The fact that a part of the persona is made up of what he thinks a SOLDIER should be/wants to be would indicate that he has some input. Again though, I think this was done unconsciously thanks to the circumstances and his own state of being. And once the persona was created, I do think the evidence suggests that Real!Cloud didn't have control over it, although he could exert some influence over it.

I agree with you though that I don't think that Real!Cloud fought too hard at first for control. The first time we hear from him (And given DisC1loud's response, his as well and he's already been screwed up for a time by this point) he makes a brief comment in reference to a past that DisC1oud doesn't remember and then tells him, "Don't worry about me. You just worry about yourself now." Not exactly screaming for DisC1oud to remember, is he? The next time? He wants DisC1oud to talk to Tifa about why they didn't spend time together when he went home. Still not forceful, but he does seem to be trying to get the point home. Next time, I think was when he loses the Black Matetia to Sephiroth and this time it's indicated that Real!Cloud isn't just talking, but trying to intervene. He just can't do it. The next assuming that he does intervene when Sephiroth tries to force him to kill Aerith, he shows up long enough to break that connection. As things get continuously more serious, Real!Cloud seems to become more and more involved. Interestingly after Aerith's death, I don't think that he's heard from again which I always found odd given the identity issues later. I wonder if the reason for this is that having his one success turn into a failure (Whether or not he's the one who did it, Aerith is no less dead. He failed to save her.) drove his real self back into hiding. On the other hand, I do also thinks this all also indicates that it isn't as simple for Real!Cloud as just taking control because it is indicated that he really is trying by the time of the issue with the Black Materia and he just can't do it.

And I do agree that Real!Cloud might have intervened to stop DisC1loud from killing Aerith. Why? It's already been pointed out that while DisC1oud can be controlled by Sephiroth, but Real!Cloud can't. Given that DisC1oud has never shown to be able to break Sephiroth's control before, perhaps the reason that he could this time is because Real!Cloud emerged just long enough to break the connection.

And... I'm going to stop now because I'm sure that I'm not making any sense at all by this point. :aah:Thank you for bringing up such an interesting point. :)

Also this clearly we're wasting time discussing this Tifa vs Aeris business when the canon pairing of FFVII is right in front of our faces. :awesome:

You mean that wasn't generally agreed upon? I assumed that this was already settled. :awesome:

I think the issue is that Real!Cloud and DisC1oud's emotions have to be combined into one and there's no reason to assume that there is a direct transfer. As I mentioned before, emotions are not a matter of copy and pasting, plus we need to factor in Real!Cloud's thoughts and feelings which are mostly an unknown by this point. The only thing we know for sure about Real!Cloud's point of view is that he deeply cares for Aerith, but that still doesn't mean that his feelings are romantic and that he'd view her in the same light after he becomes whole again.

Now, it isn't impossible for those feelings to carry over and I don't think that that's what is being stated. It's just that we don't know what happened after the two personas combined and Cloud's never really shown anything to indicate that his feelings for Aerith are/were romantic after he becomes whole again. That's not to say that they couldn't be, just that they don't have to be and therefore it can't really be stated factually. Sort of like the whole "guilt can indicate romantic feelings, but doesn't have to" as far as ACC goes. Nor has anything ever been stated to that affect in the official materials. I imagine that if there was a quote that stated that Real!Cloud has romantic feelings for Aerith, it would have come up by now, but if I've just missed then I would love to see it. :) That would certainly solve this quickly. Anyway, the possibility that his feelings could be romantic hasn't been ruled out, but there just isn't enough to prove it to be a fact. It's still a matter of "could be" and not "is".

Wanting to protect also does not by default mean romance. It doesn't for Tifa anymore then it does for Aerith. It's an indication of importance and I don't think anyone is denying Aerith's importance to Cloud. She's intensely important and precious to Cloud, but it's a jump to assume that this means romance unless we want to make that assumption for everyone that Cloud wants to protect or for everyone that he views as important and precious. If that was all the indication that we had for Cloud's feeling for Tifa, I'd give you the same answer- that the feelings can be, but aren't necessarily romantic. The difference is that Cloud's feelings for Tifa are indicated to be romantic before he becomes headfucked and after, which indicates (although doesn't necessarily prove) that there is probably some continuity there in reference to Real!Cloud. At the very least, his feelings for Tifa after he returns to himself are indicated to be romantic within the canon materials, while his feelings for Aerith are much less defined at that point. I just don't think there's enough to assume romantic feelings. Possible? Yes, but not enough to come to the conclusion that his feelings are/were romantic in nature.

Does that all make sense? I'm not sure that I'm explaining myself well. :(

Last edited:

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I'm sorry to butt in but I've been reading the previous posts and got confused myself

Wolfmania, are you trying to say that:

Real Cloud & Fake Cloud --> two separate personalities

Fake Cloud --> is fond of Aerith, flirts with her, possibly romantically interested in her

Real Cloud --> is also fond of Aerith (because he is aware of Fake Cloud's experiences), but him being romantically interested in her is not supported by canon

Is this your argument? If it is, then I agree.

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
I'm sorry to butt in but I've been reading the previous posts and got confused myself

Wolfmania, are you trying to say that:

Real Cloud & Fake Cloud --> two separate personalities

Fake Cloud --> is fond of Aerith, flirts with her, possibly romantically interested in her

Real Cloud --> is also fond of Aerith (because he is aware of Fake Cloud's experiences), but him being romantically interested in her is not supported by canon

Is this your argument? If it is, then I agree.

Precisely. I might have to apologise to anyone If I was unclear. After all, people seem to be getting lost in translation with me.

English is not my first language. So please don't murder me. :shifty:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
And I am in complete agreement with this but I think the victorious moment actually began all the way back when Cloud keeps himself from, y'know, killing Aeris. I think initially RealCloud makes no effort to control DisC1oud; then his first effort (@ the temple) fails; then his second effort succeeds but any strength he might've drawn from that is quelled slightly by Sephiroth murdering Aeris in front of him and--

Something just zapped into my head. Though I don't consider the resist Sephy control thing the victorious moment (because you know that he's still screwed and manipulated afterwards) it may be the moment when Aerith met the Real Cloud.

It makes the narrative more painful, that just briefly before she dies, she finally got her wish to meet him. That can be the meaning of her smile.

Of course this cannot be proven by canon, but I think it's a pretty way to look at it. ^_^

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
That would be deep. Especially since she didn't even get to say a word to him, just a smile. But then again, actions speak louder than words.

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
Something just zapped into my head. Though I don't consider the resist Sephy control thing the victorious moment (because you know that he's still screwed and manipulated afterwards) it may be the moment when Aerith met the Real Cloud.

It makes the narrative more painful, that just briefly before she dies, she finally got her wish to meet him. That can be the meaning of her smile.

Of course this cannot be proven by canon, but I think it's a pretty way to look at it. ^_^

This... may be my new headcanon. I really like this idea. Thank you for sharing. :)

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
So wait...let me get this straight...Cleriths are now gonna say that Psycho-Cloud is the real Cloud? And that because she got to see HIM she got to see HIM first in the relationship battle????

Um....okay maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but that's the read I'm getting. I'm confused so can someone explain what just happened?

Where's the referee on this?

....I'm pretty sure loving a psychotic violent man for being true to his nature isn't considered a pairing.

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
So wait...let me get this straight...Cleriths are now gonna say that Psycho-Cloud is the real Cloud? And that because she got to see HIM she got to see HIM first in the relationship battle????

Um....okay maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but that's the read I'm getting. I'm confused so can someone explain what just happened?

Where's the referee on this?

....I'm pretty sure loving a psychotic violent man for being true to his nature isn't considered a pairing.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about what we were just discussing? If that's so then I believe that you misread the point. :P

Or is it something else?

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
What?

Danseru's idea simply says that Aerith finally met the Real Cloud, because she saw Real Cloud successfully stopping Fake, Sephy-controlled Cloud from killing her, right before she's skewered by Sephiroth himself. Hence the smile she gave him before her death. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Danseru, or Blade if this isn't what you're asking about)

It's not canon but it's actually a good thought.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Okay I *think* I misunderstood because of the emphasis of the discussion.

So his decision to "control" himself is his real self...I think I get it now...but that side of him doesn't fully manifest until he has his breakdown in Mideel.

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
Okay I *think* I misunderstood because of the emphasis of the discussion.

So his decision to "control" himself is his real self...I think I get it now...but that side of him doesn't fully manifest until he has his breakdown in Mideel.

Not... really. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. We were discussing on a whim whether or not the reason that DisC1oud can break out of Sephiroth's control when he's never been able to before might be because Real!Cloud, who had been making efforts to influence his other persona (Talking to him and trying to stop him from giving the Black Materia to Sephiroth- he failed at this, but the attempt appears to have been made given the scene with two Clouds, which appears to represent his two personas.) had managed to take control back for just a moment, long enough to break Sephiroth's hold.

Danseru's idea (Please correct me if I'm summarizing your post incorrectly, Danseru. :) ) followed up on that discussion adding on that if perhaps the Real!Cloud did emerge for that moment, then Aerith might have finally gotten to meet the real him as she wished and that was why she smiled at him.

None of this is canon by any means of course, but... I don't think it's completely out there either. Oh well. Opinions. :)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

I love you, Danseru. Aerith's death scene was already the masterstroke of storytelling in all of Final Fantasy in my eyes, but that just made it truly beautiful. Tragic as all hell, but beautiful.

I agree with you though that I don't think that Real!Cloud fought too hard at first for control. The first time we hear from him (And given DisC1loud's response, his as well and he's already been screwed up for a time by this point) he makes a brief comment in reference to a past that DisC1oud doesn't remember and then tells him, "Don't worry about me. You just worry about yourself now." Not exactly screaming for DisC1oud to remember, is he? The next time? He wants DisC1oud to talk to Tifa about why they didn't spend time together when he went home.

Don't forget the time Composite Cloud encounters Real Cloud in the &$#% Room of the Honey Bee Inn. He tells him to wake up even then, and actually knocks him out.

Last edited:

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
As beautiful as I'm sure you all find that, my greasy black eel heart is really not feeling Aeris' last smile being tied to some dude she liked.

It seemed larger than that, superimposed over stars/bits of lifestream, right as it envelops the planet. /kanye shrug

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I feel what you're saying. I always thought of it as a way of telling, "It's alright now"/ "You're here"/ "I did what I could" or maybe even all of those.

But Danseru's idea is really a nice thought even so :)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Aerith's smile, most logically, is an 'I've done it, we're safe' smile, to contrast with her immediate following brutal murder.

It could be other things too, but she'd just activated Holy. The world- as far as she knows- will be safe. Time for a content/smug smile.

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
I will admit that I was thinking about it less in terms of "the guy she likes" and more the granting of her final, very personal wish, which was cut short before anyone could act to stress all that was lost- The fact that any potential future for her was cruelly taken from her.

But I'm being silly and I won't argue the point. It can't even be proven that Real!Cloud shows up in that scene. :P My initial interpretation of her smile was simply one of comfort and reassurance that everything would be okay.

Don't forget the time Composite Cloud encounters Real Cloud in the &$#% Room of the Honey Bee Inn. He tells him to wake up even then, and actually knocks him out.

Ah, I had forgotten that. Thank you. :)

Hm... so Real!Cloud is active sooner then I realized. I need to reevaluate the theory then and see if it needs a revision. I still kind of suspect that Real!Cloud wasn't struggling too hard for control at first given the time it took him to even speak up and based on their first interaction, but he does seem to become more serious about getting through to his other personality earlier then I thought.

Again, thank you. :)

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Well if it has the chance of knocking Cloud out then it indeed isn't something that would've helped the situation at most parts of the game.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I'm flattered by the positive response to my "Aerith met the real Cloud" theory. There's no way to prove it but it's a beautiful Clerith perspective.

But what I really want to say is, I'm happy with the past pages of meta discussion. This proves that we are not Ultimaniacs <- :awesome: as what other people accuse us.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, this has been the best LTD discussion ever.

"Ultimaniacs." LOL I love it. Ironic since the name "Ultimania" is itself a portmanteau. Just brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom