• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The theme of Final Fantasy VII

twinelight90

Rookie Adventurer
Hello. This is my first post in this site.

Anyway, I love Final Fantasy VII and all Final Fantasy games.

I saw everyone's reason love this game, but dissappointed of how little everyone are clueless what the story's message.

People get distracted when they playing a Final Fantasy game such as Celes's opera in VI, a romantic (downright silly) Riona-Squall moment in the spaceship, bizzare clothings of Yuna and co. in X-2, without paying attention to the story, setting, and the conflicts between the characters (external and interal).

The story isn't about a guy who misses a flower girl and save the planet.
It more than cool swords and crappy graphic
It's more than your patheic childhood and influences of this game.

Final Fantasy VII has a wonderful story and a beautiful theme.

Producer Hironbu Sakaguchi explain Final Fantasy VII's theme (I know there is more themes in VII, but this is the most central)

"When we were creating Final Fantasy VI, my mother passed away. And ever since then I've been thinking about the theme, Life."

" Life exists in many things. And I was curious about what would happen if I attempted to analyze life ina mathenmatical and logical way"
--second Playstation Underground disc interview, 1997

Through the game, we are confronted with the struggles of life against death.
The flowers still bloom in the slums eventhough it's polluted
North Corel keep living even though their town was destroyed.
Seto (Nakia's father) die so that his tribe may live
The Lifestream , the essence of life, burst out and stop the Meteor.

Here an article from RPGamer that explain fully in detail about this theme:
http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/1997/q4/1011997sc.html

a continuation about it but anothe editor in the same site:
http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/1997/q4/102297dw.html

(PLEASE READ THEM!!!!! :rage:)

A wish I tell more but they better explain it more.

There's other theme present in the game, such as parnethood, courage, friendship, enivorment, and religion. Some of these have nothing to do with Cloud, but exactly the other characters faced and learned.

Examples:

theme of parnethood:
Barret: He is torn about his philosophy about resuring then planet and protect his daughter.
Red XIII : He devlops respect for his biological father through the help of hs adoptive grandfather.
Elmyra: She protect Aerith from harm, but she
Sephiroth: He called "Jenova", mother, the only being he can relate to this world.
Hojo: He "help" his biological son( Sephiroth) (Sister Ray scene) to give him what he need to destory the planet.

theme of Friendship:
Tifa is always be Cloud's side because she is his friend.
She is not alone because of Cloud and the connect with their childhood. The Nibelheim incident happens to got them closer because they the only survivors. Their relatonship is example of a very platonic friendship.

theme about the Enviroment:
Cloud gets invole about saving the planet. At first, he didn't care about it He follow orders with AVALANCHE so he can pay with money.
The planet is important in today's society, and no better game that VII emphasis the destruction of the planet by businesses and pollution.

theme of Sacrfice:
Aerith's sacrifice was perfect example. She became some sort of matyr or a saint. She is the only one knows that this Cloud is not the "real" Cloud. Not only she sarfice for the planet, but for Cloud.

Caith Sith sacrifice himself in the Temple of Ancients to get the black Materia. He puts the planet first, before business and himself.

theme of the humanity:
That last scene with the Meteor and all could be represent the end of humanity, you know.

Anyway, many themes are in Final Fantasy VII. I wish more people see that Final Fantasy VII isn't just for looks, but a remarkable, amazing game.

It will be appreciate we view it as good literature or a novel, instead of action-pack movie, which many people view it already.

That's all :)

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I always thought the theme of Final Fantasy VII was the past - everyone had some tragedy or story about their past, some character flaw generated by their lives that they had to overcome. Cloud and Tifa had Nibelheim, Aerith had the Cetra, Barret has Corel, Cid has his rocket, Sephiroth....enough said there. Over the course of the game every character has to confront their past, and overcome it. Cloud and Tifa relive the Nibelheim disaster, Aerith accepts her powers, Barret saves Corel, Cid finally launches the rocket, etc.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
First of all welcome, and holy cow that's an epic first post. I'm gonna respond here with some random thoughts. I agree that FFVII is quite diverse in its themes. I like your analysis on the broader theme of life vs. death, plus the breakdown of lesser elements like parenthood, friendship, and environment.

I'm also gonna sound like a damn hippy, but the environment theme really stands out the most for me. I thought the greed-driven use of Mako energy was just too familiar. The Planet itself as a living thing was food for thought. And the sight of reactors with the dead ground around them was a perfect symbol for an unsustainable way of life.

twinelight90 said:
Caith Sith sacrifice himself in the Temple of Ancients to get the black Materia. He puts the planet first, before business and himself.

I guess this could be considered part of the sacrifice theme since the game did make a huge deal out of it. Personally, I was not particularly moved by this "sacrifice", even on my first time around. The real guy was in Midgar, so all that was being sacrificed was a doll used to spy on Avalanche. I guess I didn't really get the impact after seeing Marlene being held hostage as well. Maybe that's just me.

That last scene with the Meteor and all could be represent the end of humanity, you know.

Would you mind explaining this a little better? I'm interested but I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean here.

It will be appreciate we view it as good literature or a novel, instead of action-pack movie, which many people view it already.

Yup, but I think you'll meet some of us who appreciate it as both. :monster:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
She is the only one knows that this Cloud is not the "real" Cloud. Not only she sarfice for the planet, but for Cloud.

inb4clotiraid

But besides that, I have to highly disagree with this. Aerith wasn't expecting to be a sacrifice. She always talked about the "next time" and "after she defeats Sephiroth". She thought she was coming back. Not to mention Kitase's take on the death scene in an interview, seeing it as a fatality rather than a moral sacrifice.

In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently.' These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood.

With her death scene, they wanted to attach a sense of numbness and suddenty. She wasn't going to sacrifice herself because she knew it was the only way, she went ahead to pray for Holy, not expecting Sephiroth to be there.

....Jus sayin. :awesome:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wow....

FFVII sure was a religious experience for you, wasn't it?

And is this a thinly veiled LT discussion, or is that just me? :monster:

First off, Aerith didn't sacrifice herself. She did not intend to die. She was murdered by surprise by Sephiroth. So saying she sacrificed herself for the planet is erroneous.

Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was a parody of death in video games. How it's built up and done all dramatically and sentimentally so that when it does happen its not nearly as gut renching because you saw it coming and thus, are able to accept it. It's totally different than how Aerith's death happened suddenly, without warning, and without her intention. Furthermore, Cait Sith came back. That's hardly a sacrifice at all. He's just a stuffed animal controlled by Reeve. That was explained in EDGE magazine and then in the interview with the creators in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania.

Aerith was not the only one who knew Cloud wasn't really himself. Tifa knew it too.

And no, the ending didn't represent the end of humanity because we see, 500 years later, that humanity still exists. We hear the laughter of children in the background.

And while FFVII has a great, enriching story full of memorable characters and themes about life, love and never giving up, its preposterous to say that it's on the level of actual literature. It can stand up to some of the contemporary stories and novels out today but equating it to works literary merit is naive and to some who appreciate classic literature, an insult. They're not in the same league and the creators never tried to put it there.

I hate to break it to you, but FFVII is a game. A fantasy RPG. It's a good one, but please. Don't build it up as if it's some type of life changing experience. This is the exact shit that gets FFVII's mocked by the rest of FF fandom and fandom at large. Keep your perspective. FFVII is hardly the pennacle of storytelling excellence. That's naive.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
theme of parnethood:
Barret: He is torn about his philosophy about resuring then planet and protect his daughter.
Red XIII : He devlops respect for his biological father through the help of hs adoptive grandfather.
Elmyra: She protect Aerith from harm, but she
Sephiroth: He called "Jenova", mother, the only being he can relate to this world.
Hojo: He "help" his biological son( Sephiroth) (Sister Ray scene) to give him what he need to destory the planet.

Not all of these are parenthood, but rather, the view of parents by their children.

theme of Friendship:
Tifa is always be Cloud's side because she is his friend.
She is not alone because of Cloud and the connect with their childhood. The Nibelheim incident happens to got them closer because they the only survivors. Their relatonship is example of a very platonic friendship.

Much more than that, skippy. There's some sexual healing there too.

theme of Sacrfice:
Aerith's sacrifice was perfect example. She became some sort of matyr or a saint. She is the only one knows that this Cloud is not the "real" Cloud. Not only she sarfice for the planet, but for Cloud.

Aerith didn't sacrifice herself. She was murdered, plain and simple. No sacrifice, no martyrdom. Simple, unmitigated, painful, MURDER.
And NO, she was NOT the only one to know Cloud was not acting himself. Tifa was aware he was wrong the entire game, just unsure how to help.

This is a PARODY of sacrifice, and of the death and ressurrection of characters in RPGs.

theme of the humanity:

Could, but didn't.

Anyway, many themes are in Final Fantasy VII. I wish more people see that Final Fantasy VII isn't just for looks, but a remarkable, amazing game.

That's all :)

The problems isn't folks not seeing themes, but also themes that aren't there.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
And I have to say, FFVII is not the only game or story to carry these themes or convey them. The creators presented them in their own unique way but pretending this is something new or monumental and props it up as a piece of literature is ridiculous.

I get this same shit out of Naruto, Bleach, FFVI, Batman, and almost any other work of media I enjoy. Hell, these themes end up conveyed in subsequent other FF's. C'mon.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Aeristh is serious fucking business, you better remember that before you post again sir. ):<

I wish more people see that Final Fantasy VII isn't just for looks, but a remarkable, amazing game.

"For looks"? What the hell are you talking about, the graphics were shit then and they are shit now.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
I agree that this member may need to go read a book or dozen, but I'm glad they felt comfortable enough to join and post what they think, even if it's the same shit in a different bag. Not sure how they're gonna feel about poasting now that they know what people really think. :lol:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well when you put up your thoughts on a message board and then tell people to read them and see it this way, because FFVII isn't just a game but also full of this wonderful, literary depth regarding its thematics and presentation...

You're going to get people to post a reality check on the matter. :monster:

Hell, I love FFVII. It's always going to be dear to my heart and I do believe its ONE of the best RPGs out there. But I don't delude myself into thinking its anything super special, extraordinarily unique or of high literary achievement. That's just ridiciulous, naive, arrogant, and reeks of lack of experience with actual real books and storytelling.

You can like FFVII but don't build it up as some super special religious experience that it isn't because you're not only going to let down new fans who haven't played it but you're gonna make the fandom a laughing stock.

Btw, munatik, I love your Eve avatar.

Now Parasite Eve...THAT was a game that stands up to works of classic literature. :awesome:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
And no, the ending didn't represent the end of humanity because we see, 500 years later, that humanity still exists. We hear the laughter of children in the background.

Those could be from XIII's kids, :awesome:. They ate all the human kids for lunch, the last one only minutes before that scene.

Also, not many original stories out there anymore. The base concepts have failed to be unoriginal for the last few thousand years or so. I should get into Greek literature and whatnot to find out more about the origins and to be able to post smartass comments about how unoriginal book/movie X is and refer to those, :monster:.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Well when you put up your thoughts on a message board and then tell people to read them and see it this way, because FFVII isn't just a game but also full of this wonderful, literary depth regarding its thematics and presentation...

You're going to get people to post a reality check on the matter. :monster:

Hell, I love FFVII. It's always going to be dear to my heart and I do believe its ONE of the best RPGs out there. But I don't delude myself into thinking its anything super special, extraordinarily unique or of high literary achievement. That's just ridiciulous, naive, arrogant, and reeks of lack of experience with actual real books and storytelling.

You can like FFVII but don't build it up as some super special religious experience that it isn't because you're not only going to let down new fans who haven't played it but you're gonna make the fandom a laughing stock.

Well said. :awesome: I think it's great that a story of any medium can cause people to get intellectually involved and think more critically about what it means to them. That's why we can have such crazy discussions about WTF happened to Sephiroth and make 250+ pages on the LTD. Therefore I respect the effort in what twinelight90 is saying.

But you're right in that there is also the need for perspective. This stuff is meant for entertainment first and foremost. If FFVII changes your life like an after school special, then

:facepalm:

Btw, munatik, I love your Eve avatar.

Now Parasite Eve...THAT was a game that stands up to works of classic literature. :awesome:

And thank you! :awesome: I agree, but don't even get me started. :lol: Unless one of us wants to make a PE topic in General...:whistle:

twinelight90

Rookie Adventurer
Wow....

FFVII sure was a religious experience for you, wasn't it?

And is this a thinly veiled LT discussion, or is that just me? :monster:

First off, Aerith didn't sacrifice herself. She did not intend to die. She was murdered by surprise by Sephiroth. So saying she sacrificed herself for the planet is erroneous.

Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was a parody of death in video games. How it's built up and done all dramatically and sentimentally so that when it does happen its not nearly as gut renching because you saw it coming and thus, are able to accept it. It's totally different than how Aerith's death happened suddenly, without warning, and without her intention. Furthermore, Cait Sith came back. That's hardly a sacrifice at all. He's just a stuffed animal controlled by Reeve. That was explained in EDGE magazine and then in the interview with the creators in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania.

Aerith was not the only one who knew Cloud wasn't really himself. Tifa knew it too.

And while FFVII has a great, enriching story full of memorable characters and themes about life, love and never giving up, its preposterous to say that it's on the level of actual literature. It can stand up to some of the contemporary stories and novels out today but equating it to works literary merit is naive and to some who appreciate classic literature, an insult. They're not in the same league and the creators never tried to put it there.

I hate to break it to you, but FFVII is a game. A fantasy RPG. It's a good one, but please. Don't build it up as if it's some type of life changing experience. This is the exact shit that gets FFVII's mocked by the rest of FF fandom and fandom at large. Keep your perspective. FFVII is hardly the pennacle of storytelling excellence. That's naive.

:lol: I'm not naive or delusional. I never highly above FFVII on anything. Plus, I'm not fangirl of any game. :P
You misunderstood, bad.:(

First off, I have good books before. I don't read Greek mythologies or Lord of the Rings. ( Why everybody think this represent as high literature. There's other great books.)
Sir, you need to read more. seriously.
I read John Steinbeck's ( they aren't LOTR material, but consider the best books ever.), and Juiles Verne's novels

My favorite book is The Giver, a classic soft-science fiction book. It don't have that boring dialouge as Greeks, LOTR crap, but it was better because

Second off, DUH!! This is a game. I just said that !!! PAY ATTENTION.:rage:

I can say the same thing about video games in general. Parasite Eve, Metal Gear, and Final Fantasy VI aren't life-changing games, either. They aren't high art like literature and movies.
Video games are for entertainment. We play games for fun.

This is a RPG game, right?
When you telling a story, you have put literary elements such as allerations, themes, etc.

Disagree if you want to, FFVII have a nice message to tell. After all, it is a RPG game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well you put FFVII on the same level of works of literature and were praising it as if it were a unique and highly relevant work of media that transcended its nature of being a RPG for the playstation created for fun. I find that to be extremely erroneous. You're backpedaling now.

twinelight90

Rookie Adventurer
And I have to say, FFVII is not the only game or story to carry these themes or convey them. The creators presented them in their own unique way but pretending this is something new or monumental and props it up as a piece of literature is ridiculous.

I get this same shit out of Naruto, Bleach, FFVI, Batman, and almost any other work of media I enjoy. Hell, these themes end up conveyed in subsequent other FF's. C'mon.

It looks like you didn't read the WHOLE POST.!!

In what games carry these same themes? Huh? Chono Tigger? Give me a break. >_>
Every media cover the same thing but, all have a different central theme.

Naturo, Bleach, FFVI, and other work media you enjoy aren't FFVII. They are completely different stories and the central theme is different.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You could easily argue that FFVI carried the same themes as FFVII, same goes for FFX, or hell, even Naruto. Sorry but that doesn't make sense.

FFVII is not the only game or story with a theme about life, sacrifice, family, or the environment. Not by a long shot.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
It looks like you didn't read the WHOLE POST.!!

In what games carry these same themes? Huh? Chono Tigger? Give me a break. >_>
Every media cover the same thing but, all have a different central theme.

Naturo, Bleach, FFVI, and other work media you enjoy aren't FFVII. They are completely different stories and the central theme is different.

I sincerely hope you're not shitting on CT in favor of FFVII, or we're going to have problems. :arr:

But it's hard to tell. I invite you to explain in more detail what your point now is about FFVII's themes, and not the ones that have been debunked.

Last edited:

twinelight90

Rookie Adventurer
Well you put FFVII on the same level of works of literature and were praising it as if it were a unique and highly relevant work of media that transcended its nature of being a RPG for the playstation created for fun. I find that to be extremely erroneous. You're backpedaling now.

Whoa. I never put video games as the same level as literature, including FFVII. You off topic right there. I'm not backpedaling, godsake.

I only said FFVII have a "centeral " theme because it is a RPG game. I want people to view it as if they are reading a "novel".
that's all.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Unless you're telling us that someone hijacked your account and wrote that first post in the thread, this is what you said.

twinelight90 said:

You equated it to good literature. Ergo, me saying it isn't and saying you did. Hence, me saying you backpedaled. :monster:

twinelight90

Rookie Adventurer
I sincerely hope you're not shitting on CT in favor of FFVII, or we're going to have problems. :arr:

But it's hard to tell. I invite you to explain in more detail what you're point now is about FFVII's themes, and not the ones that have been debunked.

I'M not!!!
I'M NOT PUT FFVII TOP OF EVERYTHING!!! Besides, what of these different media have to do with FFVII, anyway. stop this.

Well, they aren't hard to find. Themes aren't self explanatory, if anyone have taken English class.

That's something abstract and ourself to figure it out. There are similar themes in all FF stories,lol.

But, all have one "central" theme that explain what each story is about.

VIII-- time and contination to move in the present because we cannot change the past

X- the price of people are sarificing and finding happeninesss.

VII-- theme of life. DUH! If anyone playing FFVII, obejectivly, you see many illusions and pics about life, such as the lifestream, planet, etc.

IV- redemption...

Did I made it clearly to anyone?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You could easily say FFX's theme is about life too, so stop trying to pigeonhole other works which talk about life. And stop getting worked up too, it silly.

FFX is definitely about life and fighting for it, with Tidus, Yuna and co fighting the oppressive religious regime of Yevon and fighting for their lives and a future free of Sin and the spiral of death.

twinelight90

Rookie Adventurer
Unless you're telling us that someone hijacked your account and wrote that first post in the thread, this is what you said.

You equated it to good literature. Ergo, me saying it isn't and saying you did. Hence, me saying you backpedaled. :monster:

Not really. I miswrote it or say it wrong.
I'm not backpedaling. :P I just misquoted.

I meant to say that people remeber FFVII because of Cloud, giant swords, or some silly fanboys or girls reason to like this game.

I like it because the message that Square is trying to say. I "view" it as if I reading a novel. Focus on the STORY!!!
I was being highly critical.

Top Bottom