• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Three Reasons Why There Shouldn’t Be a Final Fantasy VII Remake

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Love it how he dislikes change and he doesn't mind the changes that Advent Children had. The whole entire movie was a huge change from the original game and he doesn't mind that at all, but when it comes to the remake change all of a sudden becomes bad ?

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
These forums are famous for three things: the cookie monster, being off topic, and for sexualizing everything. It's hilarious. :lol:
that's why we are here, because we're a bunch of people who loves cookie monster, off topic an sexualizing everything. :D
and Final Fantasy, of course

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
I think a lot of us (at least I know I do) fear what Square Enix would do to FF-VII. Unlike the 2d NES/SNES and their latter remakes, Final Fantasy VII kind of broke some molds as far as gaming was concerned. Around the time it was released, and some time thereafter, Squaresoft (notice I didn't say Square Enix) was synonymous with quality.

These days, I barely touch anything made by Square Enix. There are just better games to play (including virtually everything made by Squaresoft for the PS1). I mean, I'd rather slag through Square's weaker titles like Saga Frontier or Legend of Mana any day of the week than play FFXI, XII, or XIII for more than an afternoon. It's like Squaresoft caught this terrible case of chronic Enix, and has been kind of a grotesque cancerous blob-thingy since, which tries to cover up its shallow puss-filled planter's warts with lots of pretty makeup while trying to decide if $20 is going to get you 1 hour behind the trash bin or 2, and offers group discounts. >_>

The humorous bit is that I never had a problem with Enix prior to their merger with Square. It's like that scene from Parasite Eve where Maeda places Eve's cells with Aya's. Sure, they're both sweet, super, ultra, awesome cells full of power; but they mix about as well as oil and water. Too thin to lubricate, and damn nasty to consume.

So for me, the biggest reason I'd rather not see them remake it is because I just don't trust Squeenix any further than I could make it in FF7 without leveling past 6th level (and yes, you begin at 7th). I have basically been disappointed again and again and again, and I can't shake the idea that I would be disappointed with their remake of FF-VII if they were to do that.

It's like any other gross remake of something you actually like. It's like being a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and then going to watch M. Night Shamalamadingdong make a sad mockery of what you actually liked a lot. I'd prefer to see a remark breath a new life into something you liked before (like FF I & II: Dawn of Souls), but there is that almost overpowering fear that whatever they would cook up you'd end up throwing pheonix downs at in hope that the horrible undead abomination of your once loved would die instantly and return to the nightmarish pit it crawled out of.

It's like chick-chick at midgar-rock says.
Stacey of Midgar-Rock.org said:
I've been MIA for awhile, I know. This is partially because I started at a new postgrad program at a new university, but mostly because Square Enix has done a stellar job isolating anyone who isn't a straight, cis male with their rampant misogyny. It's been a pretty fun ten years Square, but I'm no longer a fan. After you caved to alleged fan pressure to add a ratings-raising shower scene to The 3rd Birthday--after I've already had to sit through countless demeaning costumes, disgusting "costume damage," tentacles, and a crap storyline that infantilizes a going-on-forty ex-cop/federal agent--I have to draw the line somewhere. It's not me, it's you.

==========================================

From a more technical or artistic standpoint, I just don't think that they would be able to capture the magic that was FF-VII. There are techniques in how the game is presented and flows that aren't really used anymore, but really set a tone and feel that is still visible even today. My 13 year old brother has just recently begun playing the game for the first time. He has been amused with how good the game looks; not because of the 3D models or the fact the characters blink; but because of the pre-rendered background artworks that make up the game, the lighting effects, the scenery, and the way stuff just seems to be vibrantly alive somehow.

In many cases, it's the attention to the little details. The lights in the elevator in the reactors, the soft glow of panels, the graffiti that is splattered across walls and billboards. The piles and piles of scrap, or the majesty of looking at the support pillar for the first time. He hasn't even got Tifa in his party yet, and he already noted that the game has something that other games today just do not have. A certain feel or charm. The beauty of the 2D/3D environments, or how you interact with them would be a big part of that; and again the attention to details.

I just really feel like they would lose a lot of that magic if they tried to remake it using more modern techniques, or to make it more like the newer final fantasies. I would really be cool with them remaking the CGI videos (as long as they didn't stupefy them like the Metal Gear remake for the Gamecube, where they took Snake from a hadcore soldier to a super hero who may as well belly danced on moving missiles), recreating the scenery in rich pre-rendered high-resolution backgrounds (same backgrounds, more details, at HD resolution essentially), and doctored up the character models to add more detail and cleaner, smoother, presentations (and honestly it might be cool if they added the ability to see your party walk around with you ala FF VIII). As for new content, if they added minor stuff that didn't screw with A) the game's plot, B) the game's traditional gameplay, then I'd be impressed.

Things I wouldn't mind them implementing if they did it would be the following (in no particular order):

• Alternate outfits. No seriously. If they geared up the character models to today's standards, I'd really like to see the option to change clothes and have it appear in and out of battle. It'd be cool to get classic FFVII outfits, Advent Children Outfits, and some other outfits (and yes, that does include the Dress from Sector 6; because if you didn't ever think it would be great for Cloud to pwn Sephiroth in drag, now you will). I think this would be a cool little feature for fans, which would have 0 effect on the game itself (and thus can't screw anything up).
  • EX-Mode. I think Ex-Modes in games are the best thing ever. How many of us have replayed FF VII? Ok, more than likely anyone who visits this forum. I'd like to see a mode where you got to restart the game with certain things like your Materia, with higher level versions of your traditional enemies, and so forth. So ok, now you've beaten Sephiroth and brought peace to the world. Wanna go back through the game from the beginning with all your shiny new materia? Want to have the game increase the level and statistics of your enemies on the next pass through? Want some bosses or enemies who are a little trickier on the next trip? That would be cool.
  • Bonus Content That Doesn't Affect the Game. This might be a bit difficult to explain, but perhaps a comparison example would be best. Y'know how the American release of FF VII has the weapons, Ruby and Emerald who exist solely to measure the length of your e-peen? That sort of stuff. Maybe a few new extra dungeons. Maybe a side quest involving that one cave that you can't enter on the way to the Ancient City. Maybe some new materia, or new items.
All of those sorts of things would be fun for people who treasure the game, but you could probably trust even Squeenix to not "rape your childhood" with such changes. In which case, I think everyone would be more or less happy with the final result.

Some things I would be hesitant with (primarily due to lack of trust) but could stand for them to do if they executed it well would be...

• New Characters: I'm a hardcore FFVII fan. The idea of adding new playable characters makes me cringe as a natural knee-jerk reaction, but if it was actually done to the quality of the original, I might not mind if there were a few hidden characters that could join your party. Especially if they were available in a hypothetical Ex-Mode which wouldn't need to be cannon anyway. Even I think it might be cool if you could have Reno, Rude, and Elena join you after whuppin' their cans in Midgar-finale; for example.
  • New Scenes: Some characters in the game I feel could probably be explored a bit more. A few more optional scenes for Yuffie, Vincent, Red XIII, and even Cait Sith (if only to give us reasons to remember he exists) could be nice. A couple new side quests, or even re-implemented quests that never made it into the final version (like that quest with the guy asking you to deliver a letter to his wife in Kalm; if you know what I'm talking about). Maybe some more fun around the Honeybee Inn.
  • Crazy Ex-Remix Features: Likely the most controversial idea I would actually be okay with would again hinge on the idea of a non-cannon EX-Mode where you could turn some of the craziest rumors and such into a reality. What if on your 2nd play through, you could do a quest to revive Aeris and have her face Sephiroth with you in the finale and let her grand sacrifice occur as part of the Ex (non-cannon) ending. Or the ability to recruit one of the Sephiroth clones into your group (yay, you finally get to play Sephiroth - or one of them at least). Mix this with the idea of alternate outfits and such and you could really let the fans go hog wild replaying the game again. If it was all noted to be non-cannon, none of the stories would be ruined, and nobody could complain about added quests, characters, alternate endings, and so forth.
Again though, I just have little faith that Squeenix could or would pull it off. Instead, I'm pretty sure they'd try to turn the whole thing into a CGI movie with a few button presses and a long hallway that extends from the Slums to the Northern Crater, while you engage in lots of pretty hybrid-ATB/slasher battles, while feeding you bad voice acting and lackluster characters. Low blow? Maybe, but you reap what you sow! :arr:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
My girlfriend and I were actually talking about a possible FFVII remake last night. She asked me what was my favourite FF, and I said VII. Then I explained why (I won't go into that now, but I've posted bits and pieces of it all over this forum). I told her that I strongly recommend it to her, but that I felt much more comfortable recommending games like IX and X, for the following reasons:

- Poor graphics (at least by today's standards, but even at the time of release the character models looked pretty bad compared to, say, Zelda on the N64)
- No analog stick control
- Confusing story that requires multiple play-throughs to understand
- Loads of mistranslations
- Not particularly beginner-friendly (compared to, for example, X, which has those "training battles" in Besaid and which won't actually let you die at the first boss)

Some of those problems are more the fault of time than VII itself, but still, they can be pretty big obstacles to a casual gamer who is more used to the latest and greatest PS3 games than one of the earliest PS1 titles.

What I'm trying to get at is this: one of the main reasons I would like to see VII remade is because it would then be introduced to a whole new generation of video gamers, and I would be able to recommend it to people like my girlfriend without a moment's hesitation. With VII as it is now, I feel like I would have to hold her hand to get through it the first time. With a remake, I could trust that she would be fine on her own.

There's a big caveat, though. Square Enix would probably mess up the remake so badly that I wouldn't be able to offer a no-qualms recommendation of the game to anybody.

It's just like Ashiel said:

So for me, the biggest reason I'd rather not see them remake it is because I just don't trust Squeenix any further than I could make it in FF7 without leveling past 6th level (and yes, you begin at 7th).

Except that Barret, Tifa and Aeris can all join your party below level 7 :monster:

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
i agree about more scene in the Honeybee Inn, but i'll never forgive SE if became possible revive Aerith or have Reno&co in your team.
I think that revive her it's like REALLY kill her, her character at least. i never feel nothing for her before the forgotten city, but after... after i see her in another way.. now if i listen Aerith theme in my heart i feel sad. she is not Cait Sith.
about the Ex mode...well, if you can easy beat Sephiroth with KOTR and some other attack, i don't see the problem in the fight agaist Rufus, or other boss. you just need KOTR, Ultima, comet, 4-slash, counter and it will be the most easy game ever made. and after two or three replay you will have 3 KOTR, a dozen of Enemy'skill materia and a lot of unique materia. and that are only the materias.
i like reno, really, but i don't see why (and how) he should follow cloud in the planet core. of course i know why, but only because the villain is here don't mean that everybody in the planet should fight the final battle against Safer-Sephiroth.
there is a great diference between Sephiroth and a Sephiroth Clones. Sephiroth is Sephiroth, a Sephiroth clone is just an unlucky man that can only say "Sephiroth.. .Reunion..." and every clones die during the Reunion.
and everithing happen during FF VII (original or remake) IT'S canon.
and it's okey can use cloud with the female dress, but honestly i don't see how everybody can have alternate outfits. except for cid and yuffie (that can retourn to their home) nobody can return to their home so i don't see how they can change their clothes. and, honestly, if i have to fight Shinra, chase sephiroth and save the world what i dress on is my last problem.

said that, i say sorry for the errorof writting (english is not my first language, and i've the same age of tifa during the Nibelheim Incident :doh:)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
i agree about more scene in the Honeybee Inn, but i'll never forgive SE if became possible revive Aerith or have Reno&co in your team.
I think that revive her it's like REALLY kill her, her character at least. i never feel nothing for her before the forgotten city, but after... after i see her in another way.. now if i listen Aerith theme in my heart i feel sad. she is not Cait Sith.
about the Ex mode...well, if you can easy beat Sephiroth with KOTR and some other attack, i don't see the problem in the fight agaist Rufus, or other boss. you just need KOTR, Ultima, comet, 4-slash, counter and it will be the most easy game ever made. and after two or three replay you will have 3 KOTR, a dozen of Enemy'skill materia and a lot of unique materia. and that are only the materias.
i like reno, really, but i don't see why (and how) he should follow cloud in the planet core. of course i know why, but only because the villain is here don't mean that everybody in the planet should fight the final battle against Safer-Sephiroth.
there is a great diference between Sephiroth and a Sephiroth Clones. Sephiroth is Sephiroth, a Sephiroth clone is just an unlucky man that can only say "Sephiroth.. .Reunion..." and every clones die during the Reunion.

Not every one. One still remained, and that was Sephypoo's downfall.

and it's okey can use cloud with the female dress, but honestly i don't see how everybody can have alternate outfits. except for cid and yuffie (that can retourn to their home) nobody can return to their home so i don't see how they can change their clothes. and, honestly, if i have to fight Shinra, chase sephiroth and save the world what i dress on is my last problem.

said that, i say sorry for the errorof writting (english is not my first language, and i've the same age of tifa during the Nibelheim Incident :doh:)

Keep in mind, Anna, that all these suggestions are basically 'No, not really' bonus items, that would be quite explicitly not the actual story.

An example of worthwhile explicit nonsense in a game is Tales of Destiny, which has a almost certainly unwinnable early game boss fight.
If you win the fight, you get a game over that says 'Yeah, you were too awesome, have fun!'

Likewise Chrono Triggers joke endings.

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
sorry, i don't wont to be aggressive or else, i just say which are the weak points of what ashiel said.
uhm..i think that you're right ryu, about the outfits.
i don't really count Cloud as 'Sephiroth Clone', for me the clones are the mem in black cape :D.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
But Cloud explicitly IS a Sephiroth Copy. A failed one at first because he lacked the ability to move, speak, or think coherently, but that's how he got his SOLDIER-style enhancements, Hojo put him in as a specimen to test the Reunion Theory.

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
Lookout! This isn't just a post!: This post is pretty long. I'm going to break it into sub-sections so that people don't get burnt out reading it. When you're ready to continue, just scroll down. TL;DR is an automatic failure. You'll never see the ending that way!

4nn4-chan said:
I'm confused by this statement. Not everything that happened during Parasite Eve was cannon. The game has two different endings, and if memory serves, the ending for the regular mode was the cannon ending (since in the Ex-ending I believe Eve actually dies permanently and Aya loses all of her powers which were supposedly derived from Eve inside her, which ruins continuity). I don't see why anything that occurred during an Ex-Mode remix would have to be Cannon. In fact, it would be the perfect excuse to just let people play around and have their "alternate universe" type stories. If crazy stuff is kept non-cannon, I really don't see the problem with it and I'm a diehard "don't mess with FF-VII" fan.

I mean, nobody (okay I won't say 100%-nobody since I was appalled by the comments in SoS' LTD FAQ) has a problem with the fact there are already alternative scenes which aren't considered Cannon in FFVII (the high affection scene with Tifa under the Highwind is cannon, while the other isn't for example). Exactly why would adding new alternate non-cannon scenes be any different, other than just spicing up the game?

========================= SAVE CRYSTAL =========================

Ryushikazi said:
Keep in mind, Anna, that all these suggestions are basically 'No, not really' bonus items, that would be quite explicitly not the actual story.

An example of worthwhile explicit nonsense in a game is Tales of Destiny, which has a almost certainly unwinnable early game boss fight.
If you win the fight, you get a game over that says 'Yeah, you were too awesome, have fun!'

Likewise Chrono Triggers joke endings.

Pretty much this (props for the Tales of Destiny reference; I <3 that game). I'm a very "don't fix what ain't broken" person, and FF VII is sacred to me; but even I can understand the appeal for certain things. I mean, an Ex-Mode that's non-cannon basically lets you have your cake and eat it too.

You get all the glory of bonus content, replay value, and could let your fanbase just go gaga over stuff like Aeris Revivals, playable Sephiroths, new date scenes, new materia, new weapons, alternate endings, and so forth. Stuff like that adds replay value. Is it part of the official story? Nope. Knights of the Old Republic cannon says the main character is a man, but you're allowed to make the main character a woman anyway. Why? Because it makes the game more fun for people.

4nn4-chan said:
and it's okey can use cloud with the female dress, but honestly i don't see how everybody can have alternate outfits. except for cid and yuffie (that can retourn to their home) nobody can return to their home so i don't see how they can change their clothes.
Have you never slept somewhere away from home? You normally bring a change of clothes. Not sure if you noticed, but you can carry 99 of every consumable item in the game, no problem. You literally carry around all the pieces of the Don quest dress (dress, wig, tiara, underwear) right down to the northern Crater (check your Key Items). What exactly makes it so hard to think that Barret might have his "marshmallow" sailor uniform stashed somewhere; or that Tifa might have her cowgirl outfit?

Not to mention the number of times that you stop to rest at an Inn, have access to stores all over the world, have an airship (home away from home), can purchase a villa, etc. The idea that they have plenty of time to take on and off armor, swap materia, spend nights at inns, and traverse the world on foot, but not have the opportunity to put on a different shirt just seems insane to me. :nah:

I actually recommended that as a change because it's the least invasive thing you could do, but would be something long-term fans and casual players could enjoy; 'cause honestly it's purely aesthetic. -_-

Also, keep in mind that the 2nd set of suggestions was stuff that could be cool if Squeenix actually could pull it off elegantly; which I expressed doubts in. The actual suggestions I had put forth were non-invasive things like alternate outfits, an Ex-Mode with the option for harder encounters (Legend of Mana allows you to reply the game on Normal, Hard, or Nightmare) for those who want to experience the game with their items in tow all over again, or who want a harder challenge. The last bit was a few new optional dungeons and/or more weapons to challenge to epic battles, like with Ruby & Emerald. Maybe adding a Sapphire, Onyx, Lapis, and Topaz weapons just for people to clash against for the sake of doing so (again, like with the original additions of Ruby & Emerald who were not in the original Japanese release).

Hence the desire for an Ex-mode. Make stuff harder. If you got to restart the game with all your shiny materia reset to 0 AP (1st level), you could play through the beginning of the game with a new set of options (honestly stuff like Ultima / Knights would be pretty useless early in the game given the extreme amount of MP/AP they require to rev up).

Combine this with an option to crank up the enemies several levels, improved defenses, more tricks (imagine if Reno traps 2 party members in pyramids at a time during his first encounter instead of 1! That battle would be hard, and you would need stuff like x2 cut to win the battle, since using a standard physical attack would leave you with 2 members left to get trapped - game over), and you could really make some folks happy. I'd recommend doing this like Legend of Mana. Give people the option to play through on increased difficulties (ok, Ex mode, which mode shall we play? Bodyguard: Normal difficulty. Rebel: Hard difficulty. Ex-SOLDIER: Hardcore difficulty).

There's a lot that I think that could be done if properly executed to breath a refreshing new life into Final Fantasy VII, add replay value, and fun things for us long time fans; as long as the cannon isn't raped in the process, and it's still the same game. I just really don't trust Square-Enix to do that. I've been burned too many times. :puppy:

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I absolutely agree with Ashiel, in fact that is what comes to my mind every time the idea of a remake pops up. Personally I’m ambivalent about it, but I don’t think it’s such an abominable idea if ever SE finally decides to make one—as long as they don’t twist it into an entirely new game by raping the plot/ gameplay.

I also don’t see a remake as only having black and white results; true, some fans particularly those who played the old game will dislike some changes, but in the process there’s always the possibility of winning over new and old fans alike.

With regards to SE, I honestly believe that they're aware of the decline in quality of their latest releases. Somehow I think it's one of the reasons why they're undecided about a remake of this precious work of theirs. So assuming that's true, if they should proceed with the idea then who knows, maybe they'd be careful enough not to screw it up. That's just me, though. :whistle:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I think most people don't even know why they want a remake. It's just like 'Hey sure! Why not?' Then when they actually get down to the nitty gritty, they realize maybe it's not such a great idea after all.

I've never really understood the obsession with remakes in the first place. For me, Final Fantasy VII was a groundbreaking game for its time. Not the undisputed masterpiece that many claim it was, but certainly a definitive game of the genre (for better or worse, you decide). I can see the appeal in polishing the outdated graphics and tidying up the script (even though there's a charm to its broken translation). Little touches like that, sure. But remaking it altogether? No, I can't see why anyone would want that. The game they create would NOT be Final Fantasy VII. It would not have the same cultural impact the original had, and I'd easily bet money on it being a less playable and altogether less fun experience. Most of the pros for developing a FFVII remake, don't even make much sense.

I mean 'It would make the Compilation complete.' The Compilation's a fucking mess, anyway. They can't even keep their own story straight and yet a remake is suddenly going to tie everything together? Also, this is some backwards ass logic, considering the Compilation is BASED ON FINAL FANTASY VII and not the other way around.

'The graphics are outdated and we want to see it AC style!' No shit the graphics are outdated. As would the remake's be in 15 years time. So what? Does that really hinder people from enjoying the game? I guess not when so many find themselves going back to play it. Also, I'll take the crude, manga-style designs of FFVII over AC's catwalk any day of the week.

'Gameplay needs updating!' Again... Not really. It's absurd to judge an old-skool game by today's standards. It simply doesn't have any relevance and doesn't in any way constitute remaking the game. We might as well remake EVERY GAME in that case. And we're talking about a company who have done everything possible to take the genre backwards in terms of gameplay, and yet we're expecting them to blow our minds with a revolutionary new battle system?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
The game has two different endings, and if memory serves, the ending for the regular mode was the cannon ending (since in the Ex-ending I believe Eve actually dies permanently and Aya loses all of her powers which were supposedly derived from Eve inside her, which ruins continuity).

Actually, the Ex game ending is canon. The regular ending doesn't make much sense.

I've never really understood the obsession with remakes in the first place.

I didn't either, and then I played the Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together remake for the PSP. Then everything changed. The original was pretty good, but the remake is literally one of the best games I've ever played. Flat out period.

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
Actually, the Ex game ending is canon. The regular ending doesn't make much sense.

I didn't either, and then I played the Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together remake for the PSP. Then everything changed. The original was pretty good, but the remake is literally one of the best games I've ever played. Flat out period.

Having played and loved the original Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together; I must now get the PSP version for sake of my life if it is truly that wonderful. :D

Lex

Administrator
FFVII is my favourite game of all time. Mass Effect 3 came very close to beating it, but didn't quite manage to.

The first time I saw the tech demo for the PS3, I immediately thought they were doing a remake and creamed my pants. Since then, the declining quality of Squeenix's work has left me doubtful they could ever pull it off.

Since owning a PS3, going back to play FFVII takes some serious adjustment due to the lack of analogue control. It's not something I was ever really concerned with, but having replayed it recently it took me a a few hours to actually get used to it again. I even mapped my PS3 controller to use the analogue stick as digital controls on the PC to make it feel better.

Then there are the graphics, which may have charm and were beautiful for their time, but not now. FFVIII and IX for example, have stood the test of time far better than VII due to how different they look. Not to mention the analogue support.

Would I like to see a remake from Squaresoft? Yes. Would I like to see a remake from Square-Enix? No. I can accept that the narrative may have to be largely different due to the fact that playing through, it's very very difficult to actually get whats going on. I can't accept all the retconning they'll do. What we want to see is the same battle system, the same materia/ menu system and the same party swapping system with updated graphics in real 3D environments with a 360 camera. If we get a remake, that's not what we'll get.

Having said that - if they ever do it, I will buy it. And I'd pay good money for it. But as it stands I'd much rather play the PC version with mods, where you can have the original environments with real looking characters, updated textures, orchestral music, a new battle interface and a retranslation. Suits me fine.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Ashiel, Lex and Masamune: I love you guys. Masa and Lex pointed out the reasons a remake shouldn't be done, but if it happens, Ashiel needs to have a leading role in its development.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
What we want to see is the same battle system, the same materia/ menu system and the same party swapping system with updated graphics

That's not what I wanna see. A remake is pointless to me if it's purely a graphical update.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
1. It would take too long, if SE's production time with FFXIII (and it's compilation) is any indication. And THAT was a game that was announced loooooong before it was released.

2. Continuing from point 1, the people who enjoyed FFVII when it was released would be too old to enjoy the remake. The team making it would be different from the old-old team, for one, and because they're gonna take forever, the team might die halfway through, be replaced with another team, and basically it would just take forever.

3. Knowing the recent SE, they're probably going to lose focus about halfway through the development, make Cloud another Sora somehow, give Tifa more boob reduction, make too many cutscenes and less gameplay, and release the ending in a DLC. :awesome:

if they remake FFVII, there's a high chance they'd remake VIII and IX, so that could be a plus. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
One of the things I've never gotten about this debate is how people act like once a remake is made, the originall FFVII will somehow disapear for all time. It won't. It will always be out there for people to play.

The other thing is this. The only way SE can prove that is is getting better (or worse) at making games is by making games. Saying that it shouldn't make games because we think they do a bad job of it is saying they should give up.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
One of the things I've never gotten about this debate is how people act like once a remake is made, the originall FFVII will somehow disapear for all time. It won't. It will always be out there for people to play.

I dunno, yeah the original is there and everything, but at the same time it really sticks in my craw when something is remade, like a classic film and in the eyes of the those who haven't even played/seen the original the new thing becomes FFVII/or whatever. And then forever for the rest of eternity we have to qualify talking about FFVII by saying 'the original, not the remake' :monster:

Like if I ever talk about Transformers now, and people say some shit about the Michael Bay films and I'm like 'no not the fucking shit films!' :@ and then I stab them with a plastic fork and end up in jail. I just hate it when that happens.

Anyway, there is a part of me that hopes that the reason they haven't yet remade FFVII is because they know they fucking can't and they'll just leave well alone, all the while dropping the occasional hints to maintain interest in themselves as a company.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I dunno, yeah the original is there and everything, but at the same time it really sticks in my craw when something is remade, like a classic film and in the eyes of the those who haven't even played/seen the original the new thing becomes FFVII/or whatever. And then forever for the rest of eternity we have to qualify talking about FFVII by saying 'the original, not the remake' :monster:

I sort of agree here, but every once in a while a remake of something awesome turns out to be awesome in its own right.

Like if I ever talk about Transformers now, and people say some shit about the Michael Bay films and I'm like 'no not the fucking shit films!' :@ and then I stab them with a plastic fork and end up in jail. I just hate it when that happens.

WELL, THAT EXPLAINS WHAT ALL THE FORKS WERE ABOUT. GOOD TO HAVE THAT CLEARED UP. :reapermon:

Anyway, there is a part of me that hopes that the reason they haven't yet remade FFVII is because they know they fucking can't and they'll just leave well alone, all the while dropping the occasional hints to maintain interest in themselves as a company.

This conflicts with my image of SE as a company that just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Top Bottom