TLS Music Club!

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Have been enjoying all that's been posted hahaha. Expanding my horizons, though art.

To address my themes from the week previous, best adventure song for me is the Lord of the Ring theme, as heard from the
. Hearing this piece always takes my breath away and puts me in the mood for feeling as though about I'm about to go on an epic journey. Lot of happy memories tied to it.

My pumped song was going to be 'Blacker the Berry' as well.

For Madness, I chose Fiona Apple's
and I think the song speaks for itself. Unless I'm taking it all a bit too literally.

A single lyric that has stuck and resonated with me throughout the years comes from Emily Haine's
, and the lyric goes:

With all the luck you've had, why are your songs so sad?

This is something that I used to sing to my nephew whenever he was crying and it's something I'll occasionally sing to myself when I'm feeling a bit down or sorry for myself to remind me of the good things I have I suppose. It has almost always immediately made me feel better or more at peace with myself. ^^

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I mentioned her for the theme "creepy", but "madness" also describes Emilie Autumn. Particularly her electric violin album Unlaced. Pick:

As for a favourite lyric: lyrics don't really matter to me unless I don't like the sound of them or they're distracting. I'm sure I've thought "that's pretty cool" a few times in my life, but I couldn't recall, and certainly don't have a favourite. The lyrics I do remember are primarily because they are sung a certain way by good singers to good music.

So with that: "life is simple when all you want is a world of melodies". I got the MP3 of this song from my brother originally-- a vocal-less version. I'm glad I later found this version.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Posting this early because I'm going out of town again. Big ups to Cacti for posting last week, you really saved my skin!

24th February 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Hopelessness (n.) - a feeling or state of despair; lack of hope.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

If you could be the member of any band for any gig, which band would it be?

triva.png

LAST WEEK’S TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. A. Sting
    • Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner, CBE (born 2 October 1951), better known by his stage name Sting, is an English musician, singer, songwriter and actor.
      source
  2. C. Hampstead
    • I don’t feel like writing a blurb!!
      source
  3. B. Fair Trade (Make Trade Fair)
    • The code seems like the perfect passive-aggressive way for Coldplay frontman Chris Martin to convey his "Make Trade Fair" message, now that his T-shirts and finger-tape have been all but decoded (see "Coldplay: The Quiet Revolution").
      source

THIS WEEK’S TRIVIA:
  1. Which 80s pop band was named after a mad scientist from the Jane Fonda film ‘Barbarella’
    A. Duran Duran
    B. Toto
    C. Def Leppard
    D. Van Halen
  2. Mozart was how old when he wrote his first piece?
    A. 3 weeks.
    B. 5 years.
    C. 7 years.
    D. 2 months.
  3. Before Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder was the lead singer of what progressive funk rock band?
    A. The Funkadoos
    B. The Good Gumbo
    C. Triple B (Bad Boy Band)
    D. Rad Radio

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Oh lord, dank themes fren, :monster:

re: theme, I've a load of depressing music, but I'll make a smol selection:

; I can't really understand the lyrics (but they are in the description), and the music is just very err... weird, low-fi, like being recorded in a big garage or something; overblown in the loud bit. Oh it gets pretty er, uplifting? (and loud) at about 6:25.

. Sigh.

re: question, I'd like to play drums for Moonsorrow. Then again they're pretty shit live, so, nvm :monster:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
^LMAO!! It's all ran through a randomiser and I do think it's hilarious that the themes have been two downers in a row XD

Oi, my hopeless song is

Gives a very teen dystopian sort of vibe.

When you try to see, we'll watch you
When you try to leave, we'll keep you
When you should be dreaming, we'll wake you
But don't scream, we'll make you swallow your words

I dunno what band I'd want to be in, all I know is that I'd like to be the frontwoman so I can do cute dances n shit! :reptar:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
For hopelessness, I have a few picks:
-The anime Blood-C is fairly brutal, and it has a soundtrack to fit:
-Never saw the film, but I heard
soundtrack. When I first found it I listened to it on loop and felt soul-crushed.
-Richard J. Durand mostly composes despairing music: Divine Sadness
-Aaand whatever classification of music Dark Sanctuary plays also fits: Des Illusions

I don't have an answer for the band I'd like to play with.

Ghost X

Hopelessness. Another hard theme. Not that I'm complaining. Enjoy the challenge :wacky:. Back to black by Amy Winehouse is probably the most compatible song I'm familiar with off the top of my head. How to disappear completely by Radiohead was one I found that I wasn't too familiar with.

I'd be a member of Pink Floyd, of course. Granted, I'd make their music sound a whole lot worse.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Hopelessness?

Erm we've got

Chosen cos I dunno it just resonates with me. Wanting something that you can't have and feeling like a husk.

Musically this is very funeral to me and the lyrics...well I have trouble understanding all of them but, the first line 'Realise how lonely this is, self defeating oh fuck yeah' stands out, and this was one of the lyrics Richey gave to the band before he disappeared.

One band I could be in? lol you have to ask? But then when I think about it the thought of me being there kinda ruins it so. Nope lol

Trivia:

1. Duran Duran

2. 5 years

3. I have no idea but im gonna guess...The Funkadoos?

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Hopelessness:

Depicts the relationship between a hospice worker and a bone cancer patient.

You made me sleep all uneven
And I didn't believe them
When they told me that there
Was no saving you

Can't think of a band member I'd want to be but I definitely know I'd want to either be a vocalist so I can belt shit out, or a drummer so I can smash shit, preferably both AT THE SAME TIME!

Ghost X

For the theme of hopelessness, I forgot to mention One by Metallica, which is about a soldier who basically has locked-in syndrome (or something not much better) due to stepping on a landmine, and wishes for death, cos there ain't much else he can do :P.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I&#8217;ve decided to put these under spoilers cuz all the graphics be fucking up my shit when I&#8217;m trying to access this thread through my phone. ):<

3rd March, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Vanity (n.) - 1. excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements. 2. the quality of being worthless or futile.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme (with either definition ;) ) and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

Which artist or artists defined your adolescence?

triva.png

LAST WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. A. Duran Duran
    • Barbarella is a 1968 erotic science fiction film directed by Roger Vadim and based on the French Barbarella comics from Jean-Claude Forest. Duran Duran took their name from the mad scientist Dr. Durand Durand, a character in the film.
      source
  2. B. 5 years
    • With the support and teaching of his father, Mozart soon moved beyond the piano to learn to play both the clarinet and violin. Mozart wasn't just good at playing multiple instruments, though. At the tender age of five years old, he composed his first simple piece of music.
      source
  3. D. Rad Radio
    • In 1988, Vedder became the vocalist for the San Diego progressive funk rock band Bad Radio. The music of the original incarnation of the band was influenced by Duran Duran; however, after Vedder joined Bad Radio, the band moved on to a more alternative rock sound influenced by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
      source

THIS WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA:
  1. Which musician&#8217;s home is the second most visited private residence in the United States outside the White House?
    A. Johnny Cash&#8217;s Parkway
    B. Bruce Springsteen&#8217;s Glory Acres
    C. Michael Jackson&#8217;s Neverland Ranch
    D. Elvis Presley&#8217;s Graceland
  2. Before rising to fame, Rita Ora was a contestant in which of the following?

A. The X Factor
    B. Britain's Got Talent
    C. Clash of the Choirs
    D. Eurovision
  3. Justin Timberlake&#8217;s hit &#8216;Rock Your Body&#8217; was originally written by Pharrell for which artist?
    A. Michael Jackson
    B. Bruno Mars
    C. JC Chasez
    D. Usher

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Vanity (n.) - 1. excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements.

, for sure

I mean, just look at the lyrics:
The road I walk is paved in gold
To glorify my platinum soul
I'll buy my way to talk to god
So he can live with what I'm not
the selfish blood runs through my veins
I gave up everything for fame
I am the lie that you adore
I feed the rich and fuck the poor
this is entertainment
Lies are entertainment
You are down on your knees
Begging me for more

But it's also kinda taking the piss out of that kinda attitude at the same time, so, maybe it doesn't fit, but I love it a lot, so I don't care.

Which artist or artists defined your adolescence?
UM. Chevelle, probably the very most. When I think back on my yoof
always comes to mind. That whole album was everything to me when I was 15/16. Probably also InnerPartySystem, The Medic Droid and Madina Lake as well though. Oh and Snow Patrol. And
, but me and everyone amirite.

Ghost X

Vanity: Right Said Fred, I'm too sexy. Can't think of anything else :P.

As for my angsty teenage years... Korn and Limp Bizkit, mostly the former. Bought all Korn's albums up to See You On The Other Side :P. Much regret.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Trivia

1. D
2. B? (no idea wtf this is)
3. D

As for my adolescence...that would be a lot of angry hip hop (50 Cent featured here), but also a LOT of Prince, Guns n' Roses, Incubus, and Jay-Z. And then, Green Day, Mariah Carey...lots of really depressing, angsty shit.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I can't think of a good vanity song. I got mad as soon as I saw 'Too Sexy' cuz I thought "OMGGGGGGGG THAT WOULD'VE BEEN PERFECT GRRR OPPORTUNITY MISSED!!" :P

For now, I'm gonna say that The Pixies definitely defined my teenage years and really shaped my taste in music. Growing up, I just listened to what mum put on, which was a lot of classic (pop) rock artists, and hearing
for the first time on some randy youtube video totally captivated me. I remembered looking the lyrics up and finding the music video for it and watching it, and from there listening to 'Here Comes Your Man' and from there
(my top Pixies track for yeaaaars) and just.

I fell totally in love. And from the Pixies I branched out to related bands but I always came back to them. Doolittle is one of my favourite albums of all times with Bossanova a close second. I especially find a lot tracks on Doolittle incredibly sexy like, bruh. The pumping guitar at 1:33 of
with Kim's vocal kicking in seconds later? Sploooooooshville. LOL GETS ME BOTHERED

Last edited:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
^Just listened to I Bleed and bruhhhhh that fucking baseline :skull::ok_hand:

The lyrics of
appear to be the height of her vanity, though a veneer for her seething contempt and disillusionment, and sort of a method of picking up the pieces of herself? I loooove the concept of reclaiming perceived vanity and turning it into a vessel of empowered confidence and agency.

If I had to pick one defining album, I would probably pick In Utero by Nirvana, courtesy of my older brother's CD collection.
was forever on repeat and it drove my parents nuts. I found it weirdly exhilarating and it's probably what triggered my teen rebellion which LMAO I don't think I ever grew out of

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Unlike past themes, I don't think a song can sound vain so I'll have to think about the lyrics on this one. First thing that comes to mind:

As for artists that defined my adolescence, my tastes are all over the place and when I'm impressed by an artist I ravage their back catalogue and then move on.

However in my teens, some of those artists in maybe a rough chronological order: Daft Punk, Evanescence, Utada Hikaru,
, Within Temptation, Dark Sanctuary, OceanLab, N-Dubz,
, Pendulum, Crystal Castles, Hammock.

I'll give special mentions to Scooter, who I heard in my younger years and would have been the first artist I binged because I remember pirating all their music, some in glorious 64kbps, from LimeWire. I also associate Linkin Park with my teens especially, but I think that's mostly because (a) they were still releasing albums with some frequency when I was listening to them, (b) I had contemporaries who also listened to them.

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Sooooooo&#8230;

The end of the First Quarter is coming up. :P

I was trying to think of a decent incentive for getting the most points by then lmao. I believe I shall draw the winner a customised trophy that will remain under a &#8216;Hall of Fame&#8217; tag on the original post. Feel free to throw any ideas my way, though. :P What do you think a win of this calibre deserves eh??? This is important stuff!

Anyway, here&#8217;s your post of the week:

10th March, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Protest (n.) - a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

What is a song, band, album, or artist that you listen to whenever you're feeling down?

triva.png

LAST WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. D. Elvis Presley&#8217;s Graceland
    • Only the White House in Washington gets more visitors each year. Graceland Mansion in Memphis is the second most-visited house in America. And it&#8217;s actually the second house Elvis bought for his family. Just one year earlier he bought a four-bedroom ranch house in a residential area of Memphis, but in just a short time it was so overrun with fans and gawkers he needed something more private. So he found a southern Colonial mansion on the outskirts of Memphis on a nearly 14 acre estate. He put down a $1,000 cash deposit on a sale price of $102,500. He was just 22 years old.
      source
  2. D. Eurovision
    • Long before she bounded onto the music scene with Hot Right Now, Rita Ora had all but signed up to sing for Great Britain at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009.
      source
  3. A. Michael Jackson
    • Michael Jackson was originally offered &#8220;Rock Your Body&#8221; by The Neptunes. The song was instead recorded by Justin Timberlake, who featured the track as a single on his debut solo album, &#8220;Justified.&#8221; The song was intended for Jackson&#8217;s 2001 album, &#8220;Invincible.&#8221;
      source

THIS WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA:
  1. Name the album that was the first CD released in the United States.

A. &#8216;Born in the USA&#8217; by Bruce Springsteen
    B. &#8216;Purple Rain&#8217; by Prince
    C. &#8216;Hateful of Hollow&#8217; by The Smiths
    D. The Unforgettable&#8217; - by U2
  2. In most Broadway theatres, rows are listed alphabetically. Which row is the one that is usually skipped?
    A. L
    B. I
    C. E
    D. S
  3. Before making it big herself, which pop video did Kei$ha make an appearance in?

A. Rihanna&#8217;s &#8216;Don&#8217;t Stop the Music&#8217;
    B. OneRepublic&#8217;s &#8216;Apologize&#8217;
    C. Usher&#8217;s &#8216;Love in This Club&#8217;
    D. Katy Perry&#8217;s &#8216;I Kissed A Girl&#8217;

Last edited:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Protest:

Bruh, you know this is the obvious choice for me but my go-to protest song is most definitely

This song makes my blood boil. Although I can't relate to every experience, many parts of this song exemplify my anger and hurt growing up as a person of colour in a country that made me and often still makes me feel lesser for being so, in forms that are beyond just verbally communicated to me - of their behaviour towards me, their suspicions, their patronising questions and assumptions. I'm reminded almost every day that I'm different in the only home I've ever known, and this track reminds me that I'm not alone in my contempt.

What is a song, band, album, or artist that you listen to whenever you're feeling down?

So many! For a time it was the For Emma, Forever Ago album by Bon Iver (particularly Re: Stacks), but lately I've made it a habit to listen to
on repeat when I'm feeling under the weather. She's been my solace (and a big thank you to Fancy for introducing me to this gem! :properhug:)

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Took me a minute, but I thought of two protest songs in particular, and that is Gorillaz's
and Metric's

Damon Albarn said himself that this track is an "anti-war song" and that all of Demon Dayz is a "pacifist record." Succexy is also, obviously, an anti-war song and, more than that, criticises the passive, compliant way in which folks consume the propaganda that is inevitable in wartime. Some lyrics:

All we do is talk, sit, switch screens/
As the homeland plans enemies

and

War as we knew it is obsolete
Nothing can beat complete denial

^That last lyric in particular, I remember, left such an impression on me as a preteen. How powerful is that? Nothing can beat complete denial. The refusal to see the truth, the horror of things for what they are for the sake of living comfortably and without guilt. I really love it. Had I thought of this song earlier, it might've beaten out my other entry for 'favourite lyric'. :P

As for the album that I listen to when I was down, I almost always find myself going back to Emily Haines & and the Soft Sketelon's 'Knives Don't Have Your Back' (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned and posted a song from this album before :P). It's Haines whisper soft singing, her piano playing, and lyrics that allow me to project whatever melancholy I feel when I'm in my 'downer moments.' It's an album that helps me not to feel so alone and has helped me through many a tough time.

The opening lyric to the opening track
, for me, perfectly captures how I feel whenever I realise that I'm in the midst of one of those 'moods.'

First went wrong is hard to find
We're paralysed, we apologise
Our hell is a good life.

I almost only ever listen to this album for when I'm sad LOL so just hearing that opening piano has got my throat tightening up by association I think. :P My body be like, "OH SHIT, IT'S THAT TIME!!"

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Protest songs?
, for sure.
Lyrics:
It's unfortunate that we even have to say 'Black Lives Matter', I mean, if you go through history nobody ever gave a fuck. I mean, you can kill black people in the street, nobody goes to jail, nobody goes to prison. But when I say 'Black Lives Matter' and you say 'All Lives Matter', that's like if I was to say 'Gay Lives Matter' and you say 'All Lives Matter'. If I said, 'Women's Lives Matter' and you say 'All Lives Matter', you're diluting what I'm saying. You're diluting the issue. The issue isn't about everybody. It's about black lives, at the moment
But the truth of the matter is, they don't really give a fuck about anybody, if you break this shit all the way down to the low fucking dirty-ass truth

And:
They can't, fuck with us
Once they realise we're all on the same side
They can't, split us up
And let them prosper off the divide

I feel like it's a real call to arms, you know? To stand together, united, against something, which is what I feel like protest is all about, right?

Almost all of letlive.'s songs are protest-y, honestly, but
is very protest-y.

This ain’t just a hypocritical complaint where you can say that the pot is calling the kettle black
No it is not
But this is a scenario where you can say the cop is calling the killer “Black”, “Hispanic”, “Asian”, “Caucasian”, and if you’ve got it really bad- “Other”

It’s not my emotions
It ain’t just in my head
Let’s make a motion
With closed mouths we’ll never see it
Part time devotion
Even if you stay long enough to show them
They just don’t want to see it

To love a man as a man or to live as that man who knows she’s a woman
This ain’t about these “types” of people
It’s about all of us, as a people

Those words might get you shot
Your skin might get you shot
Who you fuck might get you shot
My big mouth will probably get me shot
Write songs that tear through
Speak words that scare you
Stoke the fire, I dare you. Kill me off;
This movement can’t be stopped

At least, in as much as the song itself is an open protest against the issues it's speaking out against? I think, anyway.

Ghost X

Re: Award. Bragging rights is sufficient :P.

Protest song. I like that politicians keep making the mistake of using Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, so I pick that one :P. America, Fuck yeah!

As for songs to listen to when I'm sad. I find myself coming up with songs I've already brought up in similarly themed weeks, cos I don't listen to songs that might cheer me up. No, I ride that sadness wave to completion :awesome:. So, sad-sounding songs I don't think I've mentioned in this thread include King Crimson's Starless or Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, Led Zeppelin's Since I've been loving you, and specifically this live version of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb :P.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
^LOOOOL!! I'm still laughing forever about the time that Bruce Springsteen refused to play at Trump's inauguration and then the cover band of Bruce Springsteen dropped out, too.

Glad you were able to find fresh tracks btw haha.

@Everyone in general, oi, also wanna say that I'm appreciating the vibes of these protest songs. Another one I just thought of is, 'Bloody Sunday' from U2 (I think)? Just a random aside lmfao.

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I don't have a real answer to either the theme or personal question.

For protest I just thought about Arkasia. Arkasia uses samples in his music and many times they are politically motivated. I'm not sure if they represent his political views or he just likes to use them. Here is
which samples Christos Savvinidis's Occupy Wall Street speech.

I don't think I listen to anything in particular when feeling down. I'm prolly just more likely to listen to nothing. I definitely don't try to change my mood with music.

One song I go back to a lot is
. I just really like it and it's never gotten old. Maybe it's when I'm down I feel in the mood to re-listen to it, don't remember.

Top Bottom