Tomb Raider 2012

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Shooters are my thing. I feel in far better control in classic shooter mechanics than I ever do in AC combat system. Once I saw it the first time I never let them close again.

Those QTEs should never have existed to be honest. Thankfully the game got that nonsense out of its system fast. I never saw more wolves in TR outside the first forest and that one scene.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
combat QTEs can be annoying sometimes, but events QTEs like scrambling up the cliff i like.

i should feel like i'm there struggling for my life, feeling a sense of real tension, not behaving like an observer.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Cutscene QTEs I'm ok with. Also things like counter prompts were good. The wolves were unnecessary though.

I doesn't detract from this game thought. And it really is a fantastic game. Better than I thought it would be.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
1363168510544.jpg

:monster:

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
So the trophy whore that I am has finished all of the campaign related Trophies, and seeing so I can boost almost all of the multiplayer trophies in a private lobby (including reaching level 60 and prestige 3) I am currently boosting this and expect to be there for then next 40hours.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Marcus is totally boosting with me. He finally convinced me to take the leap away from Skyrim (I seriously need help with how much time I've been spending on there lately) and boost privately on the multiplayer. I love it! I'm wondering why on earth I haven't tried it earlier. Definitely rushing Skyrim now to get onto TR's main story.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Knowing Eidos/Crystal, probably just some add-on DLC. :monster:

Jiro

Average Jiro
Another reason I need to get my ass into gear and finish my assignments so I can play some games. This looks awesome, and will no doubt be a better experience than Tomb Raiders 1 and 2 in which I never finished the first level (of either).

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
There was 30% off special offer on Tomb Raider on Amazon so I caved in and bought it.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I've finally started the single player campaign of the game and I love it! Have to admit the QTEs of the game fucked me over for a large proportion in the beginning, but I've grown more used to it now and am more alert, haha. One thing has to be said, though: the game's making me sadder than Heavy Rain did. And that's a hard feat.

On the other side, I love Lara. Her VA, appearance and even that filthy mouth. :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Having only started playing this 2 days ago I went in pretty prepared for some bullshit QTEs, and they are pretty bullshit! :monster: Not a lot of warning for most prompted sequences, but I'm still having fun.

This game is pretty fucking tense from the get-go, although it is getting a little apparent that I'm being railroaded from A to B. Not a lot of bad things to say about this game at all so far.

Also that sexual assault scene had me on edge, not because of the sexual assault part but because of the QTE-induced fail scenes. Ugh. And the rest of the game doesn't let up either
This is prime ryona fan fulfilment right there =/

I'm about half way through the game and I'm loving it. I have to say it's really strange seeing Lara acting so... different. I realize this is a reboot and before she really gets to adventuring but still, it's strange lol. I like it a lot though and it's cool seeing her character develop as the game progresses. I also played a lot of the multiplayer and it's a lot of fun. I was bad at it at first but now I'm super good at it which just makes it better. xD

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I think I'm nearing towards the end, because at this point she's being a real stoic motherfucker and they're really starting to up the ante with that classic supernatural angle that's present in a lot of the Tomb Raider games. read:
She battles the samurai of an ancient Japanese undead god-queen what? :monster:

Those people complaining about her being "weak" or "whiny" can shut their face because the acrobatic shit Lara Croft pulls in this game is nothing short of superhuman. :monster:
Still, this is by far my most favorite 2013 game so far, and as far as reboots have gone this one is probably hard to beat. I know Bioshock: Infinite is supposed to be 24-carat gold-medal game of the year or something, but I really don't know. This game is really, really good.

Also holy hell she's absolutely riddled with scars by the endgame. This is why Lara Croft needs to wear sleeves. Or find something with protective padding, like most sensible people, lol

laurence

Pro Adventurer
I found it to be a very interesting game. Gameplay was exceptional and great casting overall. I just thought the story could've been better. That's just my opinion.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I think I'm almost at the end of the game myself since
the crew are trying to fix the boat, but Lara wants to bring it inland like she says to Sam.
But I want to go and get the collectibles first since I don't want to play through the game again and get them all a second time.

Valid point about the scars comment. Girl definitely needs sleeves! The QTEs are shit at first, but you get used to them the more you play. I certainly died seven times at the very least within the first half hour or so.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
It's actually nice to see them make an effort to make character damage a little more realistic, but seriously. By the end of the game that body is absolutely mangled :monster:

Welp finished the game so far, 76% in 22 hours. Yeah they up the ante with the supernatural bullshit but I'm okay with it since it is a common element of Tomb Raider and it's good to see them recognise the core themes of the games.
Disappointed with the final fight scene but oh well. Looking forward to sequels!

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I quite like the supernatural part of the game. It adds that element of mystery to the story.

In a sense, I suppose you can say this is just the beginning of what shapes Lara into the tough-talking, adventure-loving heroine we love. I've just
seen Alex die, that was quite upsetting. :(
Now I think I'm incredibly close to the end. Almost got 100% in everything. I just don't want to miss anything and play it all over again!

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
The rest of the characters did endear to me, but they were unfortunately far less fleshed-out than Lara imo.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm somewhat interested in this game but not yet sure whether I should buy it.

There's no demo is there? Might have to check out a few gameplay vids, perhaps...

Lex

Administrator
^I'm in the exact same situation. I'm a bit of a Tomb Raider fan but the games have never really excited me, I tend to find them a bit frustrating tbh. This one did excite me back when it was announced, and I really like what I'm hearing about it so I might pick it up. It is only £25 on Amazon.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
You might as well buy it now, Ami and Marcus will not stop tempting you until you buy it.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
We've posted quite a few vids in the thread, it's worth trawling the gameplay videos. :3

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
^I'm in the exact same situation. I'm a bit of a Tomb Raider fan but the games have never really excited me, I tend to find them a bit frustrating tbh.

It doesn't play like the old TRs. For better or worse the gameplay is in line with what you'd expect from a modern game. There is no more clunkiness of the old controls or the trial and error platforming. Most of the challenge comes from combat and if you can play any modern 1st/3rd person shooter you wont find it frustrating.

Top Bottom