Undertale

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've played quite far into the game with a controller on PC without problems so I can't imagine they had to change much in that regard.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The "other stuff" is what I am VERY curious about. Yay for the Japan localized release as well.

X :neo:

Philco

Pro Adventurer
Glad this is coming to PS4 :) But I didn't think I'd ever get to play Undertale so I've somewhat ruined the game for myself already by watching LPs.

I'll have to make my boyfriend play it so I can experience it for the first time vicariously through him :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Yeah but there's other stuff
So I guess I know what you were referring to now; I completed the game.

I have never, ever felt more underwhelmed by a video game's final boss and ending. I know there are multiple endings and I probably got the worst one, but it's left me feeling so bitter that I'm not sure I'll ever play it again. I'm that disappointed. The rest of the game was so good, why couldn't it have just given me something along those lines instead of
the worst fight in the game and a phone call that was over in 30 seconds
?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Uh...You need to play it again. Like imediately. You finished the "Neutral" run. There's technically another 30 minutes of story to go through.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
@Chip: Sorry, no. If your game is going to have multiple endings then you had better make sure all of them at least offer something interesting. Some reason to make the player want to go back and see another one. I didn't get anything even remotely resembling that.

I might watch the other endings on YouTube. Some day.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
@Chip: Sorry, no. If your game is going to have multiple endings then you had better make sure all of them at least offer something interesting. Some reason to make the player want to go back and see another one. I didn't get anything even remotely resembling that.

I might watch the other endings on YouTube. Some day.

Lemme better explain. When I say replay, I mean, load up your save. Assuming you went for the neutral run and didn't hurt anyone, the game will go into a new series of events that continue if you leave the New Home instead of going after that final boss. Take care of those events, and then go after that final boss, and you'll run into the REAL Good ending.

Seriously dude ;-; You're killing me here. The emotional core and reward is in that 30-60 minutes, not to mention a fuck load of disturbing material for either path. If you haven't seen the Secret Lab and all the revelations it entails from there on, you haven't really experienced the game. The 'Boss" of the neutral run is like...Not really the point. The game is meta as fuck, so the fight with (You know who) and the events that ensue aren't 'really' the ending.

So there are only two real ending, hinged on if you were an asshole or not. Either way, you should at least reward yourself with the real ending you earned.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Some reason to make the player want to go back and see another one.

I actually think that is the intention of the ending. To me it seems like it's intentionally brief and "meh" so you know that wasn't the "true" ending and to motivate you to see the better one.

A more proper ending with full credits etc might have led one to believe that this is it with players just leaving it there.

Saw that happening with Nier Automata for example (even though they put a message at the end pointing out that there's more).

Last edited:

MoonSkull

Lv. 25 Adventurer
There's something kind of creepy/weird about the game though I think.

I uh...yeah, seen some controversial and mildly disturbing things associated with the game, not gonna say what.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yeah, Flint. Just load up your save. There's a big chunk of stuff literally just waiting for you. SRSLY.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I killed Toriel. I couldn't figure out what to do so I started attacking her, thinking something might change when she was at low HP. Of course the mechanics of the fight don't let that happen.

I also decided to kill Flowey rather than spare it. Couldn't help myself.

I don't think I killed any other bosses. My ethos was "only hurt things when you have to". When a boss was too tough for me I gained a few levels from random encounters. I was level 7 by the end of the game, 44 HP. Had to eat a lot of burgers to survive the fights towards the end. :P Actually, I think I left New Home before fighting Asgore to buy those burgers so I'm not entirely sure what else I was supposed to do.

I'm fine with the choices I made throughout the game and I clearly got the ending I deserved. It was just a crap ending.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I killed Toriel. I couldn't figure out what to do so I started attacking her, thinking something might change when she was at low HP. Of course the mechanics of the fight don't let that happen.

I also decided to kill Flowey rather than spare it. Couldn't help myself.

I don't think I killed any other bosses. My ethos was "only hurt things when you have to". When a boss was too tough for me I gained a few levels from random encounters. I was level 7 by the end of the game, 44 HP. Had to eat a lot of burgers to survive the fights towards the end. :P Actually, I think I left New Home before fighting Asgore to buy those burgers so I'm not entirely sure what else I was supposed to do.

I'm fine with the choices I made throughout the game and I clearly got the ending I deserved. It was just a crap ending.

Ah duuuuude. @_@;

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Hahahaha. Those are amazing. I pre-ordered the physical special edition, as I really want that music box locket thingy, but since I've played it before, the December ship time doesn't really bother me. It'll be interesting to see more people playing it, and I'm really curious how they'll deal with the ending stuff.

It's also worth noting
that it'll likely be MUCH harder to purge all your data if you've ever done a No Mercy run than it is on PC, which would be pretty neat – especially because it prevents you from EVER getting the True Pacifist ending.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
PS4 trophies: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6487-undertale

It's actually kinda what I expected. :wacky:
Has the game become predictable in its unpredictability? :P

I haven't touched Undertale since my bad experience of the ending (a few posts back) but I do keep listening to the soundtrack, which is probably the best part of the game IMO. I'll probably give it another bash someday and try a pacifist run in the hope it'll give me a better ending.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

I haven't touched Undertale since my bad experience of the ending (a few posts back) but I do keep listening to the soundtrack, which is probably the best part of the game IMO. I'll probably give it another bash someday and try a pacifist run in the hope it'll give me a better ending.

Just a reminder: Pick up from your old save, don't start a new one. You haven't 'technically' finished the game yet.

Also, if you have killed ANYONE, and do want the true good ending, you have to completely delete the data from your Apps folder. Otherwise the game will still flag you even with a fresh new game, and it'll punish you. I wouldn't say that to anyone else, but I really want you to see how rewarding this game can be.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

The Pacifist Run is absolutely worth doing. I don't think that I can overstate how good it is.

It makes all of the little idiosyncrasies for how the game changes with any acts of violence more apparent, not to mention it's got the secondary, "load your save and learn more" bit to the proper pacifist ending after that.

Then there's the No Mercy run, which should only ever be done after doing the others because of reasons.

...All of this makes me wanna go back and play my old Chrono Trigger save and get the two endings I still haven't for that game...

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Just a reminder: Pick up from your old save, don't start a new one. You haven't 'technically' finished the game yet.

Also, if you have killed ANYONE, and do want the true good ending, you have to completely delete the data from your Apps folder. Otherwise the game will still flag you even with a fresh new game, and it'll punish you. I wouldn't say that to anyone else, but I really want you to see how rewarding this game can be.

...I don't think that's true, actually. I'm almost completely certain that you only miss out on the True Pacifist Ending if you've ever done a No Mercy run. That's the only one that irrevocably alters your save file, because
at the end of a No Mercy Run, you literally have to agree to give up your Soul to Chara in order to restart, so Chara will ALWAYS haunt you at the end. Normal runs of the game won't encounter that ultimatum and shouldn't prevent you from getting the True Pacifist Ending.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

...I don't think that's true, actually. I'm almost completely certain that you only miss out on the True Pacifist Ending if you've ever done a No Mercy run. That's the only one that irrevocably alters your save file, because
at the end of a No Mercy Run, you literally have to agree to give up your Soul to Chara in order to restart, so Chara will ALWAYS haunt you at the end. Normal runs of the game won't encounter that ultimatum and shouldn't prevent you from getting the True Pacifist Ending.

The game still flags every death, and keeps track of your LVs IIRC. I know from my limited time making a mistake, the game made comments about the fact that it knew I had killed Toriel before restarting the game. CBA to wiki this, put I'd strongly suggest going a full fresh file load and doing the game purely pacifist both runs to be on the safe side.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The game still flags every death, and keeps track of your LVs IIRC. I know from my limited time making a mistake, the game made comments about the fact that it knew I had killed Toriel before restarting the game. CBA to wiki this, put I'd strongly suggest going a full fresh file load and doing the game purely pacifist both runs to be on the safe side.

Oh, there are always minor artifacts of things like this because,
Sans knows every time that you load or Save, and he keeps track of all your playthroughs, and the game follows your actual playthrough, not just what you've intentionally done. That's also is responsible for the stuff like knowing you killed Toriel.
However, none of that will permanently prevent you from getting the True Pacifist Ending. Only the No Mercy Run will do that (which I did verify on the wiki just now to be certain).

tl;dr – You only need to totally purge your save if you murder everyone, and THEN want the ending for not killing anyone.

Top Bottom