Video Essays on film and gaming

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I ran across this on reddit, it's not an essay but it's incredible. I'm about half way through right now, if you have an hour give it a listen. John Carmack is a damn prophet lol.

Scott's back with another special video that he made for PAX! This time, he tells a true story from his life as an animator, creating a pitch video for a game that seems slightly... ill-conceived.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Wisecrack also has insightful things from time to time. They've been a bit more spammy / lower quality lately though, but, experimenting I guess?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

TL;DW: Perhaps live action adaptation of animes fail not because they aren't faithful to the source material but because they just import/copy paste the anime into live action format without using the strenghts that make live action appealling in the first place.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Though I generally feel Nerdwriter says a whole lot and ends up saying nothing at all in the majority of his videos I do feel like he actually knows what he's talking about here.

This is a pretty good video and eye opening (hehehe kill me).

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Great video. I love Monster Madness, and even though this year he mostly just re-uploaded past hits from the Cinemassacre site it was still a treat to rewatch.

All things considered I think James Rolfe might bet he greatest youtuber of all time, he doesn't have the highest sub count or anything but his content has always been great. The resurgence of AVGN episodes this year has been really great as well.

Though if I must admit, I really can't stand Ryan for some reason lol. Love James and Mike though, miss Bootsy a ton too.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've recently been watching and re-watching Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit series. Despite the name, it's not just for "game makers". It explores and analyses all sorts of aspects of game design. I know Shademp has mentioned the series before so I guess I'm not the only fan here.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
This guy has been putting out some really excellent essays on the success or failures of recent games, going into a lot of detail along the way. He's also been making quite a lot lately. Worth checking out.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
This guy is kind of disingenuous regarding Destiny 2 at least though.

The XP throttling system is basically a direct copy and paste of similar systems like in WoW that were made to prevent repeating exploits for fast level ups. In fact the creation of that system in older games is the direct result of "rested xp" becoming a thing. It's disingenuous to act like it's a system created specifically to force the purchase of Microtransactions when it's lifted from games that even pre-date predatory systems.

The argument also falls apart when you consider even under the old "Throttled" system the game still gives you 9 free chests a week and leveling up still only took an hour of gameplay. It also falls apart when you look at the items in the boxes and see none are worth spending money on.

Furthermore he claims that Bungie "secretly" doubled the experience needed to level up and were actively trying to hide it. The only reason the community caught wind of it is because (I think it was him may have been another Dev) Luke Smith full on said it was 160k on Twitter and the old system was 80k.

Furthermore the reason the rate was capped is because the old system not only Throttled experience gains but also opened bottlenecks. I.E. In addition to possibly not earning as much experience as before you could also gain more than before.

The old amount of experience was set up to take into account variable experience gains while with a system that didn't throttle or de-bottleneck would be to low a of a number further incentivising people to do certain activities over others as the gains would be clear.

i.e. if you only needed 80k to level up and you got 10k per Public Event, why would you do a 10 minute PVP match for 2k? Without the variable feature in place anymore there wasn't a system in place to bump up PVP (or bump down PE) to be inline with other systems. Furthermore he also completely failed to mention that they are already changing the 160k experience needed for level ups since they realized the new flat exp rates don't mesh well with slower modes like Crucible.

Also re: "Destiny 2 is a result of Bungie hearing you but not listening to you"

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46504

All are points of contention the community has been raising. Furthermore Destiny 2 is a direct result of all of D1's chief complaints.

No story? Check.
PVP problems due to 6v6? Check.
Casual Friendly Mechanics? Check
No Overpowered weapons like gjallahorn? Check
No more grinding? Check

The list goes on but a lot of the reasons D2 is the way that it is falls on the community. A lot of the shit it got were requests on the subreddit for 3 years. It's a prime example of your damned if you do, damned if you don't and why you should never actually do everything your vocal minorities ask for.

I'm only 4 minutes in and I'm unsure if I can even finish the video. I'm always down for pitch forks and listening to a good bit of drama. I'm a fan of Jim Sterling after all, but atleast Jim has the tact to present arguments (in most cases) truthfully and without an angle.

I don't know if this guy is just parroting stuff he saw on /r/games and thus doesn't actually know what he's talking about or is purposefully being disingenuous to drum up views. In either case 4 minutes in and this is a poor example to present this guys work imo

Last edited:
Top Bottom