• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Video Essays on film and gaming

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Long one about the history of text and visual adventure games, mostly the Monkey Island series:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

This video about Sound Design & Editing from The Last Jedi is really neat. Sound design is one of those things that I think we know we're aware of, but when you really see everything that goes into making a film like this, it's astounding just how little we actually think about it because of how damn good they are at their jobs.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

No spoilers in this. Just a really good little vid about making weighty, meaty combat in a game.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Oh man you gotta watch every video Summoning Salt has made on speedrun history.

Especially Super Metroid and the various Mario Bros videos, all of them are expertly made and very comprehensive in regards to history and how the tech of each community evolved.

The stuff the Mario bros runners have to do to get a good run is mind blowing.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Been binging through Summoning Salt's stuff and stumbled on this while taking a brief break:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
This video will be heavily slanted towards League of Legends as the creator of it is actually a pro player , and probably one of the greatest players in his specific role to have ever played the game. However I do actually think the concepts he talks about briefly can also be applied to other similar games a service type games and is pretty eye opening and interesting.

It's only a few minutes long and pretty neat imo.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Shit video quality due to content ID avoidance, but here's some food for thought about common tropes in superhero / disney movies that are actually facist / eugenics propaganda:

Oh wow it's a pretty young channel too. Anyway I'm sure most people realized this from the Star Wars movies by now, at least up until the recent movies where they tossed force sensitivity being linked to genetics (at least until they reveal Rey is a Skywalker, I'm still going to stick with that theory because I can) and the whole training-to-be-a-jedi thing off a cliff.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
That seems like a stretch ta me.

Sky High just fumbled its attempt at telling a, "Chosen one without powers identifies with the oppressed, realizes he has powers and falls into the habits he had learned to hate, corrects his ways and becomes the role model he was supposed to be for everyone" story by being kind of a shit film, rather than it having a deeply and carefully crafted left-fascist ideology story.

Royal bloodline stories like that are inherently about teaching change through experience to someone who will become the defacto Person of Power, thanks to thousands of years of monarchy being baked in to storytelling, whereas MHA is more rooted in the position of power being one of nobility and inheritance which is basically the other side of that coin.

Hell, even Star Wars starts out with nobody slave Shmi Skywalker giving birth to space-Jesus Anakin, who has kids unlike other Jedi who don't seem to really ever have those relationships, so it's really a look at those mechanics from a different point of view, since Rey essentially got randomly chosen by the Force like Shmi, but she got to keep the powers herself, rather than just pass them on to a kid.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's not saying it's deeply / carefully crafted facist wotsit; more that it's accidentally facist. The expectation (also given that it's a Disney movie) is kinda that you don't need powers to be special, buuut turns out he's got powers after all so nothing changes in the world order.

Also, granted re: the star wars part, it's only three generations :monster:.

Random Nobody

local roach
23wo3gp.png

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
A retrospectic look at 3 particular anime/manga that Stan Lee was involved:

* Karakuridouji Ultimo
* Heroman
* The Reflection

Top Bottom