VII REBIRTH RELEASES FEB 29! NEW TRAILER!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I have a few thoughts that I managed to cobble together.

In the newest trailer, Elmyra says "The world's ending. At least, that's what everyone is saying." In the sky above, an angelic ring is visible. Compare that to the angelic universe shown at the end of Remake, which the Japanese Material Ultimania refers to as the "dying universe".

I'm betting that the Terrier world (the one with Zack) is within that dying universe.

1695038629010.png

1695038738988.png

Gazing upon the angelic dying universe, Sephiroth says "Our world will become a part of it...one day. But I...will not end. Nor will I have you end." Perhaps there's something absorbing universes, hence why they "become a part of it". This process seemingly kills the worlds within them.

Additionally, the latest trailer ends with Sephiroth saying "The reunion... when worlds merge." Is Sephiroth's usage of "reunion" here referring to how universes "become a part of it"?

1695040337119.png

The red universe behind Cloud is named the "universe that will be born". The storyboard for this scene (again, within the Material Ultimania) states that Cloud "bears the burden" of this universe. Is this the universe that the Beagle world (the one we play through in Remake) resides in?

1695040294486.png

Finally, we have the dead world between the two that Sephiroth refers to as the "Edge of Creation". The in-game story summary for this scene states "In the world beyond, Sephiroth shows Cloud a vision of the planet seven seconds before its demise."

1695041670376.png

My big brain theory is that this third world did not die of natural causes. Instead, I'm starting to think Sephiroth succeeded in absorbing its lifestream. His ultimate goal then is to overcome whatever it is that's currently afflicting the angelic dying universe. To that end, he's absorbing all the lifestream a world has right before they "become a part of it", preserving them in a way. His sights are now set on the next universe in line: the one that contains the Beagle world that Remake takes place on.

In Sephiroth's mind, he's "saving" the worlds he absorbs, hence Aerith's line in Chapter 18: "He'd tell you that he only cares about the planet. That he'd do anything in his power to protect and preserve it. But this isn't the way it's supposed to be." What Sephiroth is doing is against the natural order.

The Remake Project would then culminate with Cloud and Zack saving their respective worlds, both from Sephiroth and whatever "it" is. Altogether, these are the "three worlds" which Nomura says are represented in Rebirth's key art.

1695043890898.png

Just some food for thought!

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I definitely believe there are 3 "worlds," maybe not in the sense that others are interpreting, idk.

Clouds "world" is where we played through in remake, and will moving forward.
Zack's is actually the lifestream (I still believe he is dead)
Sephiroth's is one where both are destroyed.

I think the Edge of Creation was Sephiroth partially telling Cloud his plan but still misleading him. It really seems like SE is leaning in hard in showing how much Sephiroth is gaslighting Cloud. At least from my perspective based on my experience of what we've seen so far, and my knowledge of the compilation.

I'm definitely open to being wrong, but this is where I'm still at with the Remake project.

msia2k75

Pro Adventurer
I definitely believe there are 3 "worlds," maybe not in the sense that others are interpreting, idk.

Clouds "world" is where we played through in remake, and will moving forward.
Zack's is actually the lifestream (I still believe he is dead)
Sephiroth's is one where both are destroyed.

I think the Edge of Creation was Sephiroth partially telling Cloud his plan but still misleading him. It really seems like SE is leaning in hard in showing how much Sephiroth is gaslighting Cloud. At least from my perspective based on my experience of what we've seen so far, and my knowledge of the compilation.

I'm definitely open to being wrong, but this is where I'm still at with the Remake project.

It has been officially confirmed he's alive... for now.

MoLe_BlAdE

Lv. 25 Adventurer
dioisquitethesexyman.jpg

View attachment 13786

Dio is absolutely FANTASTIC.

X :neo:
Wearing faaaaarrrr too many clothes for my liking :lol:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It has been officially confirmed he's alive... for now.
I must've missed that. Can you share where it confirms he is?

Cause as far as I know, Zack died at the end of CC/CCR, and that's what leads into the Remake project. Him being alive in another timeline (which could very well be the Lifestream), doesn't mean he's alive according to Cloud and everyone else. Once Rebirth is out, I'm sure I'll see one way or another. If I see Zack interacting with characters like Avalance or Pres Shinra, I believe that'll confirm my theory that this other timeline is indeed the Lifestream.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
So, an article was published too early previewing FFVII Rebirth and was taken down.

Luckily, google still cached it. So read it while you can.

This game sounds incredible. This is... Wow.

Love the way you meet Yuffie in this. LOL it's hilarious.
Right? I can't wait to play. I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack as well. So many good songs that would potentially be used in Rebirth. You can hear the cry of the Planet is def my number 1.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
The open areas having a variety of stuff to do aside regular sidequesting is encouraging - 16's zones were very pretty but there wasn't much to really do in them aside pick up shinies and fight enemies. Obviously a single article hardly gives us the full picture, but it definitely inspires positivity.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
The Google archive link isn't working for me. Here's some (all?) of the text posted on Resetera:

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
What I like about this as well is that as far as exploration is concerned, it fits very well with the OG.

Remake was linear because Midgar was linear. They had to stretch out ~4 hours of linear gameplay, pad it with sidequests and do what they could with exploration within the boundaries of Midgar and the original story.

Rebirth is where the real exploration begins and that’s exactly how it played out in the OG. When you got to the world map it was huge in comparison. It felt like you could do anything.

The optimist in me therefore says that the additional elements of Rebirth will not feel as padded and bloated as Remake sometimes did. There is so much opportunity to create a living, breathing world in what was basically empty map space in OG. As such, it’ll feel more natural as a compliment to the overall experience as opposed to trying to shoehorn stuff in. Just look at the area surrounding Junon. Of course there are chocobo outposts. Of course there are shops and quests to do. Of course the old town is going to be a bustling place.

Give me the demo. Now.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Remake was a great game but it looks like Rebirth is gonna shit all over it. :mon:
(looks like it's gonna shit all over XVI, too :P )

Rebirth is where the real exploration begins and that’s exactly how it played out in the OG. When you got to the world map it was huge in comparison. It felt like you could do anything.

It makes me wonder about some future super release after part 3 is done tha stitches all the games into one absurd release. You know, like all the curmudgeons who insist they're "just selling three thirds of a game for full price each" claim they're waiting for. It would be pretty wild to experience, though. :lol:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think a lot of what makes the Re series interesting is how they're forced to translate environments, events, and systems designed for very abstracted PS1 RPG presentation into the photorealism expected of modern releases. World maps are a thing of the past, so having that sort of enormous-feeling open area isn't something you can just put into a game anymore because of the development cost, or you go full open world like XV and to a lesser extent XVI that somehow end up making the world feel smaller than the chibi-presented worlds of old. In modern games you also don't see things as ridiculous as Mr. Dolphin or the protagonist doing drag to break into a pimp's house. But since they're trying to bring that sort of game into modern stylings, they're forced to get creative with their approach in ways they don't have to be when building something from the ground up. It's why in just the trailers and previews alone, Rebirth already feels more alive than XVI ever did.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It makes me wonder about some future super release after part 3 is done tha stitches all the games into one absurd release. You know, like all the curmudgeons who insist they're "just selling three thirds of a game for full price each" claim they're waiting for. It would be pretty wild to experience, though.
Those people are the same ones that say Tears of the Kingdom is DLC, I just ignore them now. They just want to bitch about anything they can.

I definitely hope SE releases the whole trilogy as a set when it's all said and done

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
So Vincent not playable? More than likely we don't see him till late in the game.

I know most didn't like the idea of him not being playable, but I've said since the Yuffie DLC that it would be a good idea to save him for the third game. 1. Gives them an opportunity to give him a DLC that connects him to DeepGround/Yuffie. 2. Gives us a new character to look forward to having in the third game.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
It makes me wonder about some future super release after part 3 is done tha stitches all the games into one absurd release.

I've thought about how, by the time this whole thing ends, maybe they'll need to remaster FFVII Remake in order to give it parity with with Parts 2 and 3. Especially the combat.

World maps are a thing of the past, so having that sort of enormous-feeling open area isn't something you can just put into a game anymore because of the development cost

On game size over the decades, I think what the Remake Project is doing might be the only way to make games feel as large as they did in the 90's. Which is to: split a story into separate full games, build the core assets and development pipeline with the first title, utilize both to rapidly build expansive areas in future titles.

It's a double edged sword. If you like the story, you're in luck. But imagine they did this with FFXVII and audiences just didn't vibe with the first game. It's too big of a risk. I think this development strategy only works with remakes because the story has already proven itself, which is kind of sad from a creative perspective. The 90's were a truly a special time for RPGs. I don't think we'll ever get back to that unless we embrace abstraction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom