What are you listening to?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Jochim what are some good Marduk albums? It's time for me to stop ignoring "Rostén's other project". Granted they've been around since far before Rostén was in the band so that's a silly way to even think of them.

Funeral Mist - [Maranatha #06] Living Temples [6:28]

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Well they had a few phases. Their debut is more like Death Metal. Heaven Shall burn When We're gathered is my favourite early marduk record which has some of their best song writing. Those of The Unlight is cool too. far from mindless blasting albums. From the Arioch/Mortuus era I like Plague Angel the most, though Rom 5±12 and Serpent Sermon are fine albums aswell imo. I need to revisit some of the Legion albums myself.

Amon Duul II - Toxicological Whispering

Great ending to an epic psychedelic kraut journey.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Cool, will check all those out, thanks for the recommendations.

Just spun the new Darkthrone. Solid record. I'm not really sure what I was expecting but this was a lot more riff-based than I expected and it almost sounded like King Diamond snuck into the studio to record some of those clean vocals. Obviously they've been listening to a lot of Venom and Celtic Frost too.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
The Residents - Swastikas On Parade

Just watched the Fawlty Towers episode The Germans again. Somehow I just had to spin The Third Reich 'N lol :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Mercyful Fate - [Mercyful Fate #01] A Corpse Without a Soul [6:55]

Classic :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Of corpse :monster:

Mercyful Fate - [Melissa #01] Evil [4:45]

King Diamond is easily top 5 metal vocalists ever, in the same league as Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio, and Bruce Dickinson :monster: Mike Patton, too, if he counts as a metal vocalist :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Need to listen to them more, apparently :monster: Never did pay much attention to the vocals on Solitude Aeternus or Fates Warning as much as they probably deserved :monster: How are Lowe's albums with Candlemass, worth checking out?

Mercyful Fate - [Melissa #03] Into the Coven [5:11]

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Listen to Lowe's vocals in Solitude Aeturnus, they are much better than his vocals in Candlemass, imo. And Awaken the Guardian is easily the greatest epic progmetal album ever, in my not so humble opinion :monster:

Mercyful fate - Satan's Fall

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Will give those a listen soon, cheers for the recommendations :monster:

Mercyful Fate - [Melissa #05] Black Funeral [2:50]

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
King Diamond is easily top 5 metal vocalists ever, in the same league as Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio, and Bruce Dickinson :monster: Mike Patton, too, if he counts as a metal vocalist :monster:

That's actually an interesting question. Patton certainly has a solid metal skillset but at the same time I think he's more reknown for his versatility across rock stylings. I guess I feel as an overall vocalist he's #1 out of that list, but is he an absolutely iconic god of metal like the rest? Tough to say.

That said, here's my favorite FNM track live and they could have used it as the studio version :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, Patton is probably one of the most technically gifted vocalists in all genres. That song, like a lot of FNM's discography, is a classic.

Fell Voices - [Regnum Saturni #01] Flesh from Bone [17:37]

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Marduk - [Plague Angel #08] Warschau [3:18]

Solid. There definitely is more to this than just blasting (although this song has an awful lot of it). I found the track "Perish in Flames" particularly impressive, even though a lot of people on MA seem to hate it. Then again, fuck MA.

Last edited:

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Astra - Barefoot In the Head

Band succeeds where Opeth failed hard at their last album - this is some real authentic 70's prog and it's amazing it's from the 21st century. Nice blend of Eloy, Camel and Yes.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale

It's not an average pop song that alludes to Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Milton. Of course, this is far from an average pop song.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Indeed.

I need to check out more of their stuff. What are some of their best albums? Also, is anything Deicide essential beyond the first two albums?

Hüsker Dü - [Zen Arcade #02] Broken Home, Broken Heart [2:04]

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
I'm only quite familiar with Salty Dog unfortunately.
Once Upon The Cross and The Stench of Redemption are cool, you can skip the rest.

Deicide - Carnage in the Temple of The Damned

I wonder why there are so few songs about Jim Jones and his suicidal followers. it's metal as fuck. Quite Doom Metal, actually.

Top Bottom