Sigh - [Scenes from Hell #04] The Red Funeral [6:54]

David Tibet is so weird.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Thinking Plague? I guess I should listen to that

The Mars Volta - [Noctourniquet #12] Noctourniquet [5:39]

To be honest I wasn't really expecting too much from this album judging from the description (which indicated that nearly everything I loved about their early albums wouldn't be present), so I guess I can't say it wasn't much of a disappointment, but they've done a lot better. I'm doubting they'll ever top De-Loused or Frances. That said, there are a lot of pretty melodies and the like, so it's not like it's a complete waste of an album, but I miss the sonic weirdness you used to get on every track. This album is disappointingly tame by their standards, and that's even considering the sort-of "unplugged album" that preceded it. Maybe I'll get used to it though. There are enough decent songs to make it worth returning to at least a few more times. Hopefully a good quality rip surfaces soon too; it's entirely possible that the shitty 192 kbps, possibly transcoded mp3 rip is shorn of enough sonic details that it sounds more disappointing than the album actually is.

Also, Omar, please stop clipping your albums. Seriously.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Yeah that :monster:

Thinking Plague - Malthusian Dances

I like how they sound atonal, but their songs technically aren't atonal, it's just the way of their compositions that's so quirky and unusual - taking Gentle Giants approach of songwriting to a more extreme :monster:

I don't really get TMV, tbh. What album should I give some time first?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The first two are the best, followed by Amputechture. Bedlam is worth your time too but it's not as good as the first three, and even Octahedron, which is probably the weakest of their albums that I've really given enough time to absorb properly, still has several good songs on it. There isn't really an easy jumping-in point with their music but I'd just recommend starting with De-Loused since it's their first album. All of their records except De-Loused sound substantially better on vinyl, btw, because the CD versions are pretty badly clipped, while the vinyl versions are not. De-Loused got messed up when it was mastered for vinyl; I'm not sure what happened. It's not clipping though. I can upload a "clip fix" of the album if you'd like, which is probably the best-sounding version of that album. The others probably sound best on vinyl.

Sigh - 42 49

3LP sounds great so far, was definitely worth the $60 or whatever. I really wish I'd gone for the 3LP of IA when it was on discogs now. It would've been $80 but it probably would've been worth it.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
I heard De-loused before, but it didnt give me that much of an impression - I should give it some more listens.

Thinking Plague - Sleeper Cell Anthem

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It's probably the sort of thing that takes at least several listens to comprehend, mostly because of its sonic density. It kind of reminds me of HHH-era Sigh in terms of how much is going on.

Sigh - 12 Souls

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Fucking Perfect - Pink

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
The Great Barrier Reefer
Bongripper

80mins of stoner doom awesomeness.

AvecAloes

Donator
I haven't listened to The Mars Volta in a long time, and reading all of the previous posts really gave me an itch for it, so

The Mars Volta - Drunkship of Lanterns

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Desaster - The Splendour Of The Idols

Fukk, the new album really rules hard. I'm curious about the new Ketzer aswell - Black/Thrash is awesome.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
again - Yui

Sure the TV size version of this will go with almost any anime/game opening. Will do research.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Fen - [Towards the Shores of the End #02] Ageless Threnody [8:17]

No idea why this band clip all their recordings, but other than that their music is generally excellent and this split is no exception. Luckily Clip Fix exists, which gets rid of most of the problem.

Top Bottom