Administrator
AKA
Yop
pennywise.jpg

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I've finished Tokyo Ghoul and have caught up with the current chapters for its sequel Tokyo Ghoul:re.

If you thought Cloud was a mental f*ck up then Kaneki will blow you away!

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Definitely don't remember much beyond Magician. I know a lot of people say he lost his way with the other stories set in Midkemia, but if I want to read Magician's End, I should give them all a chance.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, Magician was neat; the problem I found was that the second book just seems to start a new series / storyline (er, Silverthorn, iirc?) with little to no links to the first one. IIRC it's better in the 3rd book.

I stopped reading after that (I got a large part, if not all of the series from some elderly lady my mum used to work for, they were her son's, he died, I got them because I fixed her computer a few times), the rest just seemed like random stories about characters I don't care about in that universe. I actually (finally) donated all of them to charity a few weeks ago.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Memoirs of a Geisha. First time reading it and it's one of those books that you cannot put down. I don't want to breeze right through it in a few sittings so I'm saving just a chapter before bed each night. Eet's so good. ;__; Maybe not totally historically accurate, but still great storytelling.

I couldn't finish Salem's Lot - got halfway through it recently but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird in the car - er....it's my passenger seat reading material. I don't read it while driving - I read it when I'm Mr. Howl's passenger. :monster:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I've got my next book picked out - Watership Down.

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
For someone who loves reading so much, I don't really read as much as I should. It probably comes down to a) I love gaems too, and b) it annoys me that I lost my reading super-ability somewhere. As a youngster (15yrs and below), I read at a crazy speed. Now I trudge through and my comprehension is worse too. Curse you ageing!

In spite of having read so fast and having read a lot, I missed quite a few classics, and so I recently started Beowulf - or as I like to call it "Beowulf kills all the shit, and probably gets all the girls"™

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Blood of Elves, second Witcher books. The 3rd game is probably mostly related to this one.

IDK, I think I enjoyed the first half of the first book better - which felt more like a collection of entertaining short stories than a 9000-book-fantasy-epic. Not that this one does, but still, it's a bigger story basically.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Had this on my shelf for about a year. Decided to get cracking on it since a sequel just came out. It's pretty good so far.

marvel-black-widow-final.jpg

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
I'm reading Don Quixote whilst wearing a robe, reclining in my oak chair and listening to Chopin, and sipping wine out of a red solo cup.

Basically, I'm fancy as fuck.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I've just read Metro 2033. (Read it in two days whilst off work sick.)
And I'm currently reading the sequel Metro 2034.

I'm only half way thru the 2nd book but I already know the first one was better.

They are both set in Moscow's Metro after a nuclear war. The surface is a radiated wasteland infested with mutants and humanity is pretty much on it's last legs.

Russia's do dystopia's right! :monster:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The Shadow War, Henry Michel. About resistances during WW2. I am gradually destroying it as I read, as the pages are coming free of the spine. I am not very happy about this.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
"The Waste Lands", book 3 of the Dork Tower series. It's okay. Moar science-fictiony and more rich than its predecessor in some ways at least. IDK how do I book :monster:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The Boy from Aleppo who Painted the War. Was looking forward to it until I opened the book and found it was a 1st person perspective from a child that doesn't understand anything. I don't like that style, especially when it's used to explore 'issues', It often feels like a crutch so the writer doesn't have to do proper research.

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
The Last Wish, the first Witcher book. It's an interesting read, if a bit inconsistent. It alternates between dark, hilarious, and at times a bit dry. I hear the second book is better, though, and I'm about done with this one, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Wish*, and technically / iirc it's the second one; the first one is more of a collection of (enjoyable) short stories (and TBF I wish it stuck to that instead of turning it into a more epic fantasy; I stopped reading through the second or the third book because it was just tedious, lots of tl;dr conversations about idk what instead of more compact stories with a beginning, middle, end, and overarching theme)

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Wish*, and technically / iirc it's the second one; the first one is more of a collection of (enjoyable) short stories (and TBF I wish it stuck to that instead of turning it into a more epic fantasy; I stopped reading through the second or the third book because it was just tedious, lots of tl;dr conversations about idk what instead of more compact stories with a beginning, middle, end, and overarching theme)

No, the Last Wish is the First. It is a collection of short stories. The Sword of Destiny is the second, and it is also an anthology. The Witcher saga starts afterwards with Blood of Elves.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hm, well idk, I might be wrong, that might be the one I read too. I just looked on wikipedia, it says that before The Last Wish, there was also the unoriginally named Sword of Destiny. Might not be considered part of the series though.

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Hm, well idk, I might be wrong, that might be the one I read too. I just looked on wikipedia, it says that before The Last Wish, there was also the unoriginally named Sword of Destiny. Might not be considered part of the series though.

The Last Wish has the short story with the Djinn. The Sword of Destiny has the short story where they go on the gold dragon hunt.

The Last Wish mostly consists of short stories that were initially published in a magazine about 5 years prior to The Sword of Destiny. These were all compiled into their own book about year afterwards. Both the Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny are standalone works, with the actual novels (the next five books) forming "The Witcher Saga."

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
I am now reading David McCullough's biography of Harry Truman. I've been on a biography kick lately; finished Jean Edward Smith's fantastic Ulysses S. Grant bio (most underrated president ever), and have about 7 others lined up for the next few weeks.

The Truman book is also excellent for self-defense; this thing is a fucking brick.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
The Japanese Epic, Musashi! I'm reading it because I've recently been super into/interested in Japanese values, culture, and life philosophies.

Top Bottom