What are you reading?

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.

Reading this straight after Night Watch (set after/before GG -- involves time travel, see), I can't help but remember a quote from the latter book, considering how far the Watch goes:
What a bunch. I know you well, gentlemen. You're in it for the quiet life and the pension, you don't hurry too much in case the danger is still around when you get there, and the most you ever expected to face was an obstreperous drunk or a particularly difficult cow. Most of you aren't even coppers, not in your head. In the sea of adventure, you're bottomfeeders. [. . .] You're the stupid little band of brownjobs. You're beneath contempt. But believe me, boys — you'll rise.

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

I haven't seen the movie so the experience is even more magical. I got so many feelings with this book. I can't tear my eyes away. Its the first time I've gotten so emotional over a book. It just... I can't hold my feelings.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
I'm addicted to the Stephanie Plum books as of late. I actually had been reading them for a few years now but what happens with a super long series is that if I don't take a break from it, I end up getting sick of it. So I don't continuously read.

But ASOIAF is a tedious read and I find I need a buffer in between each book, just so I don't get too overwhelmed. The Stephanie Plum books work so well for this! They're a light and easy read with tons of humor and lovable characters. Also, the mystery element is always appreciated.

I'm on book six right now and can't put it down. :3

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
As I've said in the "What makes your day" threads before, I'm certain that sometimes stuff ends up in my local city that the people who send it there have no idea what it is, or how cult it is.

So, right now, I'm reading the English translation of the Ico novelisation, Castle in the Mist. Which was just on a random stand in the library.

Only just reached the castle. Have to say, I found the game hard going, but I'm so engrossed in this book that I'm thinking about picking it up again.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Just finished the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. (same guy who writes Dresden Files)

The most original aspect of it was the government/military. Instead of being based off of medieval Europe, like the bulk of fantasy series are, it's based off of ancient Rome. So you're dealing with a senate and legions with magic added to the mix.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Murakami is just fantastic end of story.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Re-reading Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files book two).

Multiple werewolf types. All that's missing is some Benandanti. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^ I like that series.

The only problem I have with it comes from my familiarity with different mythologies. Sometimes he completely goes against the spirit of the myths. (His idea of what the Kusanagi is.... just no... the original Japanese origin is so much better...) And why does he class vampires, zombies, and incubi/succubi as different types of vampires... that confused me.

Other then that it's cool.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Well, in the Dresden Files, there are different courts/species of vampires, and vampires are defined by the modern occult usage, as in any who drains energy from another. By which definition, incubi/succubi are vampiric.

As for vampires/zombies, the definitions of all types of undead are jumbled together in European folklore (eg, one method of becoming a vampire is to die a werewolf).

I can understand your frustration/annoyance, but at the end of the day, all urban fantasy stories create their own take on the source material. :)

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
This is very late but I'm proud to say I finally read the Harry Potter books. They're such a wonderful experience and I'm happy that I'm now a part of its fandom.

Today I just finished the Hunger Games, pretty okay.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Moving Pictures, Pratchett, fhtagn :monster:. Next books on the list should be Wellcome to Ankh-Morporke, Citie of One Thousand Surprises and Achmed the I Just Get These Headaches's Book of Humorous Cat Stories.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett.

Book summary is provided in this quote, which is also the page quote for TVTropes' "The Fair Folk" article.
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Re-reading For the Emperor, the first Ciaphas Cain novel. Ahh, 597th Valhallan, how do I love thee.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Re-reading Caves of Ice, the second Ciaphas Cain novel. Ahh, 597th Valhallan, how do I love thee.

"There are worse things than greenskins."

Ghost X

"The Mistress of Alderley" by Robert Barnard.

I'm not big on reading fiction (much prefer writing it), and it's shit novels like this that only discourage me. Then again I only read about 150 pages into it, which is about half way, mind you. I thought I'd read a book whilst waiting in the car for several hours as I have been doing of late, rather than being bored as fuck. I may finish the book tomorrow, and if my perception about it changes, I'll be sure to let you know.

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0
Murakami is just fantastic end of story.

This. Just finished A Wild Sheep Chase. Loved it.

Just bought Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald. I cracked up when reading the introduction to the book: it featured a letter from Fitzgerald to his publisher that said not to believe anything Hemingway said about him.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Good Omens

"All the higher life forms scythed away, just like that."
"Terrible."
"Nothing but dust and fundamentalists."
"That was nasty."
"Sorry. Couldn't resist it."

Top Bottom