XBoxOne

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
So, I've noticed that Xbox one prices are going down a bit around my area. Currently, I can find one for about $379. Normally I'd go playstation 4, but all my IRL friends play Xbox.

Given that information, has anyone here played the Xbox one enough to tell me if its worth my time?

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Are you in the European region? They've been doing price drops in tandem with the release of Titanfall, I think (as well as releasing Titanfall with the XBO for free, I think)

As someone who doesn't have a lot of money on hand, I'd wait for more price drops before I even consider buying a One of my own. It's a solid piece of hardware with a lot of functionality to offer. Kinect actually works this time around (though there's plenty of anecdotal evidence around to suggest that sometimes it certainly doesn't). Navigating menus and switching games in a matter of seconds feels great and cuts out a lot of busywork normally done on a controller (though a cynic would argue they'd have to, given the layout of the UI, as pretty as it is it is distinctly designed with voice navigation in mind) and maybe with the Kinect bundled with every box it'll be an incentive for developers to actually explore applications for it since they know the attach rate is much higher than it was for the previous one, which was designed more as an afterthought.

The exclusives have been really good so far. Off the top of my head, Forza handles (heh) really nicely, Ryse turned out to be a surprisingly decent character brawler, Killer Instinct is one of the best fighting games I've seen in ages, and Dead Rising 3 is absolutely balls-to-the-walls crazy. Titanfall has been hyped up to massive levels for the One, but since it's also on the 360 and PC that choice is really up to where all your friends are playing on at the moment.
A fair few multiplatformers have been graphically weaker on the XBO and will probably continue to be weaker for the rest of the console cycle, though as developers continue to work out the kinks and learn to utilise the ESRAM I think the disparity will shrink somewhat. It's certainly something to keep in mind if you're a stickler about that sort of thing.

As a sidenote, if you have a smart phone or tablet device, chances are that the XBO can interact with it via Xbox Smartglass (probably one of the better aspects of the whole 'interact with everything in your living room via Xbox and Kinect' message). It's an awesome companion app that adds a lot to the experience - some games use it to give gameplay hints and tricks, others use it as a navigational aid, or a stat tracker (and lord knows what that madman Kojima is going to do with it). iirc it also allows you to navigate the XBO interface via the tablet/phone itself, which is even better than either by using voice or controller.

So yeah, just depends on what your value on all that is. This generation of gaming is only getting better and better, that's for sure.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
? I thought that they planned to do this from the start. The 360 version is being developed by someone other than Respawn, iirc (since it's apparently a port)

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I dont recall a 360 version ever being mentioned prior to earlier this week. Same for a few other thousand people on Reddit.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Well then now you know the marketing worked :monster:

There was always a 360 version in the works.

Sanzku

Banned
I am voting for offline consoles. Offline ftw!

What games do PS4 and Xbox one have?
I wish for 3D platformers, atleast more of them. Just a 3D world with high graphics and lots of cool stuff ^^

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Random promo for ID@Xbox

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Cant find link but Microsoft maybe removing certain apps from behind the XBL paywall like netflix ect.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Through the Shanghai Free Trade Zone, Xbox One comes to China in September, making it possibly the first (legal) console to enter market in the country in 14 years.

The truth is a little more complex:

Before Microsoft fans start celebrating that opening up the Xbox One to China will allow it to surge ahead of the PS4 with a billion new potential customers, things are likely to be far more complicated than that.

In fact, QQ reports that BesTV and Microsoft are only expecting to ship 100,000 Xbox Ones to China this calendar year. It’s not exactly as if the floodgates open and repressed Chinese consumers will suddenly all run out to buy $500 consoles, particularly since PC and mobile gaming is already massively popular there, and a huge black market exists for consoles and games already.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
The CoDBox strikes again!

"Democracy."

In more indie news, Super Time Force!

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Xbox One SKUs will be sold with Kinect units as optional starting June 9. Entertainment, sports and gaming apps (as well as Xbox Video/Music, Internet Explorer and Skype) will no longer require a Gold subscription.

First, beginning on June 9th, in all markets where Xbox One is sold, we will offer Xbox One starting at $399*. This is a new console option that does not include Kinect. For $399, our new Xbox One offering will continue to deliver access to the best blockbuster games like “Titanfall,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” and the upcoming “Watch Dogs,” “Destiny” and "Sunset Overdrive." You will also be able to access popular entertainment apps, such as Twitch, YouTube, and Netflix, as well as watch live TV and use OneGuide. Finally, you will continue to be able to use many of the unique features of Xbox One including the ability to get game invites while you watch TV, switch between games and entertainment apps, enjoy Twitch broadcasts, and upload your favorite gaming moments.

Yusuf Mehdi interview with Forbes on the Kinect's removal from the core package

So now that Kinect is optional and there’s a $399 price point, there are a lot of comparisons to PS4. What do you view as your main differentiator now if someone’s buying a standalone Xbox One system compared to PS4? The consoles are starting to seem pretty similar these days, especially in the wake of this announcement.

I think there are four main areas in terms of how ours system is differentiated. First is that the reason people buy these consoles is to play games. We’ve got the best games line-up. We had the best games line-up this past holiday if you talk to most experts in the games industry. As we go into E3, you’re going to see an incredible games line-up. Knock on wood, I believe we’re going to have a great games line-up for this coming holiday as well.

Second thing is people buy games to play with their friends. We have had the best multiplayer gaming system in this space for many years with Xbox Live Gold. We’ve really set the standard. You get better matchmaking capability with SmartMatch, you get better protection against people who cheat. Xbox Live Gold is the best place to come play with your friends.

Third is the original vision we had for Xbox One, which is an all-in-one entertainment device, and it still is, even with the $399 SKU. You still get Xbox One as an input one device where you can still watch live TV, do two things at once, input switch. A lot of the things you do with entertainment you just can’t even do on other systems. We’re really built for the future.

And finally you can still add on Kinect to create all these additional experiences with voice commands, biometric recognition, recording gameplay and more.

Those four things make it very differentiated, and now that the price points are the same, and people looking at games and entertainment experiences are future-proofing, I feel that we have a very differentiated system.

What do you see as the future of Kinect here going forward? Do you think that it’s lived up to its potential or struggled in some ways?

The way I look at it is that you should take a five year vision. I think in five years, we will laugh at any computing device you can’t walk up to and talk to. Voice is going to be there for all devices. We’re a pioneer with Kinect in the living room. And it’s not just voice, and it’s voice and biometric ID. The ability to pioneer that, and with the success we’ve had so far with five million people, it’s remarkable. We feel great about it. And look, we’re going to learn a lot, and our partners are going to learn a lot, and our customers are going to learn a lot, and we’re going to continue to shape it. But I think we’re breaking a lot of new ground and we’re delighted with the progress.

Do you worry that now that the Kinect is optional, there may be less developer support for it as they make games going forward?

One thing I should say is that we made this decision in conjunction with our games publishers and our entertainment partners. As you can imagine, we have really strong relationships. The two of us looked at the problem the same way. We love Kinect, we love the way it’s going and the possibilities. At the same time, we also wanted to have a broadened base of users. Some games are fully Kinect-based, and some are better when you use Kinect, but can also work fine without it. In each of those cases, this is still the right call.
Personally I'm a little disappointed. If the potential of the Kinect wasn't handicapped in the past, it definitely is now - what chances there were of having core triple-A games implement motion control effectively will be likely limited to first-party titles as unit retention numbers for Kinect SKUs probably dwindle.
There will also likely be less investment in the system with the knowledge that install base is diminished across the board (though initial sales will obviously factor into the situation better than the first Kinect did), and the sales and support that developers had with actual ideas for the system might be diminished. Kinect Sports Rivals was mostly mediocre but the facial scanning and biometrics was a flash of inspiration that I could see being applied to quite a few other games.

Imagine that sort of shit being used in RPGs or whatever :monster:

Also things like these:

Might be further short-changed, particularly when it comes to indie ideas (ala the ID@Xbox brand).

It's great that users get a price drop and a huge portion of gamers want nothing to do with it, so they get what they want. It's just a bit of a shame now that these products are homogenizing more and more - and the marketing bottom line at this point boils down to a system that barely distinguishes itself from the rest.
The overwhelming majority of games at this point trend towards multiplatform releases, and without the functionalities of the Kinect and the support to guarantee more than just throwaway, afterthought functions, there's fewer reasons to adopt the XBO with a system that lags on paper specs.

I get the feeling that the team under Spencer is attempting to turn back its image from the media center they tried to turn the Xbox into. Personally I think they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. Here's to hoping the upcoming DirectX 12 update can help further their angle, and give the XBO the juice it needs when it comes to developers optimising their games on the console.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Sunset Overdrive Previews:

IGN

Gamespot

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
All this stuff is technically old news though~ Do y'all do embeds? :monster:

Top Bottom