XBoxOne

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
A recap of the recent interweb things that sort of matter for the Xbox One (mostly chronological order of happenings)

Interface stuff

ibgfs3CkGUPTHP.gif

ibqitOx1T2Uvdu.gif

ibaafNSH2i961d.gif

Friends/Followers, Snap, Multiplayer Features (Reputation, Dedicated Servers, Gold and Achievements)

Albert Pennello defends THE CLOOOUD (because lol NeoGAF) - developers use the server farms/virtual dedicated servers free of charge

Technical engineers defend their design choices

Phil Harrison - lack of indie titles, digital price-point parity, cost of next-gen development

Larry Hryb (MajorNelson) - Day One Editions of launch titles (bonus content)

dodd - OS/Live issues persisting perhaps up until launch

Games stuff

Project Spark

Crimson Dragon - Leaderboards and Kinect stuff

Battlefield 4 - Kinect-only controls? Second Assault expansion available upon launch

D4

Kinect Sports Rivals - player face and full-body scanning onto player avatars

Dead Rising 3

Titanfall - Will remain Xbox One exclusive, news to even Vince Zampella

Ryse - 900p resolution, QTE buttons seen in E3 were never an actual part of the game

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I'd say that's too idiotic to be anything more than a shooped up thing but then again, stupid fraud shit happens towards launch!

I hear stories about people buying WiiU boxes and opening them up to find a literal brick in place of a console

Lex

Administrator
^That's an old VCR with an XBox One sticker on it.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Should learn not to open threads in the morning then reply in the evening without refreshing the page first.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
That's a VCR. You can see the "VHS" logo on the left side of the video slot.

... I know that. Why are we explaining the joke? :monster:

I'm just saying, the whole "selling a fake" thing can often be a shooped joke.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I thought you meant that you thought the 'box was shooped, and I was just pointing out that it clearly was :P

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yusef Mehdi and Marc Whitten walkthough of the Dashboard and Kinect functions

Giant Bomb previews of Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, and Battlefield 4.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
That comment tree is pretty awesome :monster:

So I managed to put in some hours into my friend's Xbox One, and it's pretty dang rad! Looks great, voice recognition that actually works just feels like the next generation when instead of having to spend time scrolling through menus you can just speak a command. Only caveat to that is that you have to speak commands, and so it doesn't feel as natural as just talking to the thing, but between that and the thing automatically turning on by facial recognition and logging people in based on them picking up controllers and loading a completely different game in a matter of seconds, it's doing things that none of the previous generations of consoles could have ever achieved.

There are some that say they'll wait for a Kinect-less version of the console - having tried the thing out, the usual bullshit PR speak is actually not too far off in this case. The system is practically designed around the Kinect's use, and using the voice recognition software seems far too ingrained into the Xbox's UI for it not to be there. It's fairly certain that there won't be a Kinect-less version of the One. At least, not in the iteration that it's in now. I think if push comes to shove and sale rates aren't satisfactory for Microsoft (with every indication that it's probably going alright at the moment), they may release a Kinect-less iteration with a UI with very cut-down functionality - but here we'd probably be talking about a new build of the One, as opposed to a thing they'll patch in or whatever.

Microsoft has cited a 9 year life cycle for this console, and while I think that's way too optimistic, there's a huge range of functionality and services that I can see being added over the years, and it definitely seems that they've planned for a long-term strategy which will definitely give the One longevity. It's definitely not the perfect next-gen console people want, but the framework is there to make it absolutely fantastic - the hardware is solid and the software will only get better over time as the product matures. What they've delivered now is a console that is built for what it will be years into the future, not what people want now.

Played a lot of Killer Instinct. The game is fucking awesome and there's a huge collection of easy-to-understand tutorials that tries to demystify the fighting game genre, which is a great feat in of itself. The only fighting game I've had that does this to even any degree is Skullgirls, but KI goes over meta like frame data, hitboxes and automagically saves replays of every game which allows play-by-play with this data overlaid on top. The game itself follows the easy-to-understand, difficult-to-master route of a fighting game, and while I've seen it's turned off some of the old Killer Instinct fans I think the system is has is actually great for easing new gamers into the fighting game genre as the mechanics aren't as opaque and there's a tutorial system that doesn't treat the finer mechanics as some sort of El Dorado that only professionals should be aware of. And that's exactly what I want.

Also played CoD Doge lol whatever

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/forza-motorsport-5-review/1900-618/

tl;dr. Good game, nice cars. Pretty, but fee to play microtransactions run rampant which seems to be the new cash cow that publishers absolutely adore. It sucks that if even only 1 person purchases something from the cash shop its a complete win for the publishers. I really doubt this will go away in console games that arent even free to begin with (True F2P games can get away with this. NOT 60$ games).

Top Bottom