XBoxOne

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I have been in love with the Dual Shock controller since it came out, so I'm not fond of this concave bullshit. That's one of the many reasons I hate XBox controllers now -- if I need to quickly release the stick, I always have trouble with my thumb catching. That one trait alone I dislike about it as much as the fact that it's a clunky, beastly thing, while the Dual Shock sits smoothly in my hands and feels so intuitive.

Never had any hand-cramp issues with the Dual Shock either, but have with the XBox controller. Still, that isn't as bad as the pain I experienced playing "Soulcalibur II" on the GameCube.

By the way, an article on the new controllers if anyone's interested:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156628-how-do-the-xbox-one-and-ps4-controllers-stack-up

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Never had any hand-cramp issues with the Dual Shock either, but have with the XBox controller.

my hands spaz out and cramp very easily (side note: even playing the piano caused me discomfort after about an hour of practice, that should give you an idea of what a sensitive baby i am) but i've never had an issue with the xbox controller, oddly enough.

That's one of the many reasons I hate XBox controllers now -- if I need to quickly release the stick, I always have trouble with my thumb catching.

see i have the opposite problem with the dual shock. the movements were almost too fast and uncontrolled that when i played a platformer i was flying every which way across the screen. the resistance of the concave sticks on the xbox made me feel more in control of my movements.

it's weird cause i never had an issue with the dualshock when i was younger, but then again i really only played rpgs and 3rd person horror games with a fixed camera so it's not like i ever needed super tight controls or quick response. but the dualshock 3 forces me to curve my hands inward to grip rather than simply rest like the xbox (and by extension i guess you could add the wii u pro controller since it's basically the same thing).

the overall design of the dualshock is just more angular than other controllers and i can't get my hand to naturally relax on it /kanyeshrug

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Being a core PC gamer very early on in my childhood (being that the family wasn't interested in getting consoles at all) I haven't really burdened myself with a nostalgia considering either the Xbox or Playstation controller (or Nintendo's, for that matter). Only being able to play with them when over at friends' places in the past meant that I put in roughly equal hours of both.

I think they both have their pros and cons. The symmetry of the Dualshock has a graceful simplicity to it that makes it a breeze to readily learn. My elder brother (who is a complete imbecile when it comes to console gaming) picked up on the Dualshock control scheme somewhat faster than he did when he started playing Halo on the original Xbox (the revised controller, not the hilarious awesome and cramp-intensive original chunk of plastic lol). It also helps that structurally the Dualshock hasn't been altered too much since it's PlayStation iterations (besides perhaps fractional differences in width, I think). People coming in from earlier generations won't have many problems adapting to newer control schemes. XboxOne seems to be going for the same approach: why fix what isn't broke, right?

But again, it also depends on the genre and the way the controller is used and mapped in games. From personal experience menu-intensive games like RPGs are much less finicky browsed by a D-Pad and bumper buttons, whereas in shooters clearly triggers and C-sticks reign. There's two extremes there, and it's not always as simple as that, of course. The majority of fighting game players swear by the stick, but a D-pad can be a very easily acquired taste.

Katamari is a very interesting example. I tried emulating a Katamari game and with my 360 pad it was basically nope.avi, so there's that. Again, all comes down to how the buttons are mapped by a game and the way they use it. MGS Peace Walker in the HD edition greatly benefited from having sticks in a 360 controller that didn't require a whole lot of reach.

Personally while I enjoy the Dualshock's design, I absolutely fucking adore the 360 controller's curved aesthetic for looks, if nothing else. The triggers and shoulder buttons are far superior for shooter games with solid, tangible pull to them. The d-pad was indescribably garbage, but it looks like that would be sorted out in this new iteration.

All in all, though, I think the "40 changes" made to the controller will likely be mostly internal and not outwardly noticeable at first. Mayhaps they've made wireless controllers more responsive by a couple of statistically significant nanoseconds, I don't know.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I should hope so, really, they're kinda Xbox's thing. :monster: Both controllers seemed to address their biggest flaw, but I won't know til I've used them. Xbox and the dpad, Dualshock and the triggers. Sticks being convex or concave make zzero difference to me.

In JRPGs I frequently switch back and forth between the stick and dpad,move with the sticks, menus with the d-pad. In Sonic Generations I played the modern Sonic levels with the stick and classic Sonic with the d-pad. Zee...does your right hand cramp up on games that require a lot of right stick usage?

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I use both controllers frequently, neither one has ever given my hands any problems. The xbox one was a little weird at first because I was so used to the PS one but eventually I got the hang of it. If I had to chose between them it would the PS one by a small margin because it's the one I've been using the longest.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
2vlmudy.gif

goodbye eighth gen, that's it, i'm gone

Splintered

unsavory tart
Microsoft's business plan in gif format

tumblr_inline_mn7bzgo5VW1qz4rgp.gif

I wonder if Microsoft can even strongarm the used game market that much considering how long its been there and how much console gamers rely on it. A part of my liked the idea of at least publishers taking a percentage of the cut in sales, but why the fuck does Microsoft get it? What risk did they take?

Secondly, how are you going to force gamers to sell at only the place you want to? I thought that if you are the first buyer of a product, you are allowed to do what you want to the product (unless you are copying and distributing all over the internet)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Wait, am I reading this wrong?:

It's Azure that manages the transaction, and tells the home office that you've handed in your title. The title gets wiped from your account at that point.

Does that then mean if you choose to sell your used game at GameStop or GameRetailerDumbEnoughtoStayonMicrosoft'sDick that the game which you have installed on your console will then be deleted within 24 hours?

Lex

Administrator
I take it to mean the person who sold it wouldn't be able to play it anymore, which to be fair

no wait, there is no fair.

I'm laughing hard about this. Goodbye XBox!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The really burning question here then is whether each disc will have an activation code that gets locked when it has been used once with any account, such that if you ever want to sell it you then have to sell it back to an authorized retailer who can inform Azure to unlock the code again -- thus, preventing you from just selling the game to a buddy who offers you $25 for it or something.

My guess is yes.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So.... the fee and removal applies to when a game is resold via a Microsoft-authenticated retail location, where MS takes a huge cut, and it resells for 10%. I can't wait to see how this is gonna work if you try to play the game at a friend's house, since it'll apparently let you do it via your account, but it looks like properly borrowing games doesn't have ANY space here.

X :neo:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I take it to mean the person who sold it wouldn't be able to play it anymore, which to be fair

no wait, there is no fair.

So that isn't fair?

Lex

Administrator
Well if you use your brain love me satsu <3 to end the sentence, it would have been:

which to be fair makes sense, since if you give a game up now you can't play it anymore.

But I didn't see the point in playing Devil's Advocate for XBox, since they've now dug themselves a hole so deep with their hardcore fans they're having tea with satan. /pedantic

Last edited:

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Yeah no I was using my brain thanks.

I just didn't see the point of ragging on the one part of their bullshit used games system that, you know. Actually made a modicum of sense.

Lex

Administrator
I swear I didn't mean for that to sound so rude, love me Satsu <3.

I just felt like you missed my point. And by pointing out the obvious flaw in my post you took a bit of a dump on the tiny ounce of humour that was in there. This makes me very sad as a person :(

I am in a funny mood tonight.

Top Bottom