XBoxOne

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Wii U has Arkham City. And it will be getting EarthBound, and EarthBound>All, except FFVII and Mother 3, which EB is equal to.

games that i can

a) get as a free rom or
b) already own on a console that's been out for 6 years

is not a selling point in the slightest tbh

And Nintendo handhelds pwn all. They have Pokemon, which is, along with the Mother series and the FF series, the greatest RPG series of all time. Plus they're portable and unlike consoles, you don't have to hook them up to your TV, so you won't get into fights with your family over whether to play your game or watch TV.

i've never argued against the nintendo handheld. if you read my previous post, it's easily their strongest aspect.

Addendum: Zee, I would avoid getting a FailBox One. I'd tell your friends the same. And if polls are anything to go by, almost no one intends to get one.

i'll get whatever console is cheap and has the most games i want. i have jack shit in the way of loyalty for consoles, i just like games. and seeing how all the games are going to be displayed at e3, i'm saving my final judgement til then.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The Wii U is a nice little system, it just needs more actual damn games. Don't even have to be exclusives, just actual for the system games, both $60 disc and $10-15 downloadables.

The SMT/ FE crossover is definitely gonna help with that a bit.

Splintered

unsavory tart
tumblr_inline_mn6x67NThX1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_mn7qtpqIfw1qmzsn0o1_400.gif

Thus the internet will do what it does best.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
But all of this is so unnecessarily complicated, like saying you can only listen to music on your ipod if it's constantly connected to the internet
That's essentially how Spotify works, and they're becoming quite successful (I'm aware that they have an offline mode, but it's limited). The difference is that they charge a monthly fee, which effectively allows their users to "rent" music. Once the subscription ends, that's it; the users don't own anything. If Xbox went down a similar path - a fixed monthly fee to play any game you like, downloaded from their online store - I think it could be quite popular. The fee would probably be quite high, but they could offer discounted consoles with a contract to encourage sales.

That's not the path they're taking, of course. My simple first impression is that they've completely botched this by trying to diversify unnecessarily.

Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Even though im not one to care to much for brand loyalty and definitely dont want to participate in the console war...

I must admit I tweeted "#GameSpotPS4"

edit:
Actually took a second to see the polls, wow. Talk about a landslide. I wonder if xbox will pick up a few tweets soon or if it will be unanimous that everyone hates it atm lol.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
To be honest, I think the very fact that competing products have "wars" like the gaming consoles do is a sad, sad aspect about gamers these days. It doesn't help that there are incredibly professional sites out there like gamespot to perpetuate that.
But customer loyalty is customer loyalty, I guess. Not entirely exclusive to gamers, I guess. :monster:

At the end of the day, it's the games that really count. As long as the games for the next-gen consoles aren't horseshit, they'll all sell units.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Wii U has Arkham City. And it will be getting EarthBound, and EarthBound>All, except FFVII and Mother 3, which EB is equal to.

It also has Mass Effect 3 which I own for the xbox 360 and I have Arkham City for the PS3 so why would I buy a console that I think is a joke for games I already have?

Lex

Administrator
edit:
Actually took a second to see the polls, wow. Talk about a landslide. I wonder if xbox will pick up a few tweets soon or if it will be unanimous that everyone hates it atm lol.

8 Hours Later:

Capture_zps6de2a26b.jpg

And sorry for reposting that image Aaron, I should have checked the previous pages. Derp on my part :desu:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
It happens. Probably putting it in spoiler tags made it more likely someone would repost it anyway :monster:

Lex

Administrator
And from the statistics it looks like the US is 16% for both consoles. I find that kinda interesting since it's the only country in the world where the 360 actually outsold the PS3.

EDIT: I take it back, the PS3 outsold the 360 at the start of this year. Another derp on my part.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Yeah. Something alot of people forget is that the 360 released a full year before the PS3, so its been playing catch up ever since.

I seem to remember reading statistics though that at the rate of sell for both consoles at launch, that if both released at the same time the PS3 would have been ahead from the get go.

Ill have to find that article to confirm but Im almost positive i read it and am not self imprinting lol.

Lex

Administrator
^If that's true it really does mean something, since the PS3 was ridiculously expensive compared to the XBox at launch. (You could go into how with the XBox you had to buy things like the hard drive and shit seperately and with the PS3 you didn't, but lets not).

Also I saw a comment from that GameStop Twitter war from someone on the XBox side:

"PS4 is too mainstream, we are the 11%".

What!? Laughing so hard. Yes, Sir Random, I'm sure that's exactly how the developers see it.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
^If that's true it really does mean something, since the PS3 was ridiculously expensive compared to the XBox at launch. (You could go into how with the original XBox you had to buy things like the hard drive and shit seperately and with the PS3 you didn't, but lets not).

Also I saw a comment from that GameStop Twitter war from someone on the XBox side:

"PS4 is too mainstream, we are the 11%".

What!? Laughing so hard. Yes, Sir Random, I'm sure that's exactly how the developers see it.

11% , lol classic.

Yeah I really want to find that article now im just not exactly sure what to google search for lol. Ill find it.. someday haha.

Lex

Administrator
I really do understand what they're trying to do with the new XBox, they're going for the everyone thing with their pushing Netflix and TV TV TV - the problem is that it seems to be such a massive part of their campaign and the PS4 does all that stuff too.

The Playstation conference was all about games. It was about how much better the PS4 will be for gamers, and it was targeted towards the gamers. I still won't have to pay money to play my games online if I so choose, I'll be able to easily stream my gameplay (which is a niche feature, but it's still a good one and one I know I'll use a lot), live-watch what my friends are doing when they're online (this I think is excellent free-marketing for developers), then there was that bit about being able to try games before you pay any money for them to see if that game is really for you - that's really all for the customer.

Playstation have made a point of telling people the system will not charge for used games. Online pass, which is already in some games, seems to me the right way to go about it. You can still play the offline game but if it's a used game and you want to play the multiplayer, there's a small fee - otherwise it's free to play online, which the XBox has never been. I've never understood paying money monthly just for the ability to go online with games you've already bought, it's ridiculous.

So for me it's pretty much a no-brainer so far. The XBox has nothing that I want (and a LOT that I really don't want) and the PS4 has a lot that I do want. This is disregarding the fact that hardware-wise the XB1 is a weaker system by far, which we know doesn't matter all that much. But if every game was multiplatform this generation, I'd still buy a PS4 over the new XBox. I've never really been a PC gamer unless you count the Sims series - I love my console gaming.

Oh, and they've redesigned the controller for PS4, so I'm curious as to how that whole controller-comfort argument thing is going to play out now.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Oh, and they've redesigned the controller for PS4, so I'm curious as to how that whole controller-comfort argument thing is going to play out now.

as someone who seriously dislikes the controller as it is now, i can say the new controller at least looks like it has more weight which is a good thing, and they finally realized concave sticks > convex ones. i wouldn't be able to tell til i really played on it, but it looks a lot less likely to give me hand cramps.

however i still prefer the analogue stick being in the main position (i don't think i've had serious use for the d pad in years) and the xbox controller is still bigger and my hands naturally rest better on it. but i'd have to play on 'em to really decide.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've never had any trouble with the sticks where they are the Dualshock. It doesn't feel substantially different then where the d pad is. The only thing that would cramp my hand up would be to hold the trigger for a long time. I'd be happy with those just being buttons again, honestly.

And yeah, people's willingness to pay just to play online is confusing to me (and there are still ads!). And do you have to pay XBL fees AND Netflix fees to watch it?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I think XBL fees would be seperate from the Netflix subscription,so that you dont have to pay for XBL to enjoy netflix on the 360. But I could be wrong, but I hope my optimistic outlook is correct.

If they do force you to get XBL to enjoy there other online services that already have there own fees, then seriously thats just a dick head move to make now or in the future.

Regarding the sticks.
I agree with Zee, the concave works wonders. I really wasnt a believer but a few months ago I got sent a free pair of Kontrol Freek's for a review , which happened to have concave pads. Even though they made my PS3 sticks about an inch higher then usual, I could certainly feel a bit more comfort and grip as well, the switch to concave is pretty awesome imo.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Controller-related story: I got MAJOR hand cramps playing on a 360 controller the other week, and it caught me totally off guard. I swear that there's gotta be something about hand positioning while holding the controllers that contributes to it.

Additionally the convex vs. concave for the analog sticks & triggers never really bothered me. I prefer the convex analog sticks, because I play a lot of games where you slide your thumbs off of the analog sticks and down to the D-Pad or buttons and then back up, which I find to be a bit more odd with the Xbox controllers. I also like the analog stick symmetry over the offset, because then the D-pad and button positions are analogous to each other on the controller - plus it makes dashing almost impossible to aim in Katamari games when they're offset. xD I don't play enough games where the triggers are integral to the gameplay to really care one way or the other.

I am really curious that the new XboxOne controller has "over 40 changes" and I wonder if there's been any articles that list what any of those alterations actually are aside from the new D-Pad.

X :neo:

Top Bottom