FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well, good point, just look at how many people are still nerding out about a game that was released almost 20 years ago, vs games that were released only this year, :monster:. We do have some people that nerd on about XII though. But besides that... not much. Definitely not games that came out this or last year, as far as I know.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
So, no FFVII Remake at TGS this year. I doubt we'll hear from it before FF XV is released. Maybe some news at some 20th anniversary event? It also reinforces my impression that FFVII Remake won't be out in 2017.

Lex

Administrator
And since there's literally not been a game released in the past 6 years that didn't have at least a 6 month delay, 2017 is highly unlikely even if they say that's when it's getting released.

I'm expecting a little more info/ new trailer at Playstation Experience in December though. It'd be nice to keep that theme going.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
The PSX is our best bet tbh. I'm not expecting any news before December tho.

Also question...

Didn't Square Enix say somewhere that they wanted to give us a lot of information at one time opposed to little bits here and there? I remember watching a video a few months back but I didn't bother to check a source.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Two things:

- There were massive rumours on facebook and facebook linked sites possibly indicating that the first installment might be ready for March 2017.

- There was a recent Square Portal poll on facebook where they asked fans what they wanted to see in the next trailer. When is TGS, end of Sept? I don't think it'd be hugely unlikely to see something there.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
So, no FFVII Remake at TGS this year. I doubt we'll hear from it before FF XV is released. Maybe some news at some 20th anniversary event? It also reinforces my impression that FFVII Remake won't be out in 2017.

And since there's literally not been a game released in the past 6 years that didn't have at least a 6 month delay, 2017 is highly unlikely even if they say that's when it's getting released.

I'm expecting a little more info/ new trailer at Playstation Experience in December though. It'd be nice to keep that theme going.

I knew that the first part of FFVII remake wouldn't be appearing this year or being released this year. I mean, it's been in development since only last year, so it's far too early for Nomura to give out new details now.

Besides, everyone else's too focused on FFXV, World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and Kingdom Hearts 3. Besides, we're more likely to get KH3 before the first part of FFVII remake since the former is close to being finished since it's been in development since 2010/2013(take your pick, I don't remember which it was).

I think we'll more likely see at least trailers and some new info on FFVII in next year's events, but definately not the release date of the game itself. The next best thing is a PS4 port of Dirge of Cerberus since they created a new Bluray cover for Advent Children Complete(I don't see how anyone could assume that the new cover means the movie's being re-released. Movie DVD/Bluray covers get new image covers while keeping the sales of movies and things like that the same all the time.)

Lex

Administrator
Two things to mention re: that:

1. It's a list of exhibitors (meaning people showing off actual games/ booths on the floor, not people making presentations/ having trailers shown at the conference)

2. It's not a final list

Having said that, it's still a bit strange. You'd think they'd have XII HD or some KH on the floor :/

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Can't say that I'm surprised.

If any luck, there's still the Jump Festa to look forward to for any new info on either FF games or KH at least.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
They have KH2.8, 1.5+2.5, Nier Automata etc coming out early next year. I can't see them not being there and at least showing off those games.

That being said, it's getting a bit late for that final list of attending devs and publishers, the event is next week after all.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Are you guys planning on streaming like last year. I'm going to see if I can get a video done. Its been half written for ages.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
To get everyone's hopes up, the next chance to get 7 remake news is something that has been confirmed for some time in Winter 2016.

For a really weird reason I have nonstop been thinking about PSX and more Remake news since E3 passed. It is disheartening to see they aren't on the list, but as Lex pointed out it isn't final either.

Also to note I don't believe Square at PSX 2015 was on the list until the keynote actually happened. It could be they want to attend in secret for an unknown reason.

Either way, we will be getting more news before the year is out, and PSX being 12 days out isn't out of the question. And if not at PSX then Jump Fiesta would be another great place to get more news. Last year's Jump was where the two awesome looking statues of Remake Barret and Cloud came from.

Edit-

If we are doing a whole big streaming thingy for PSX that'd be cool.

Last edited:

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
My bad then.:monster:

Still, we can all hope we see something at PSX.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
"Today, we’re finally able to talk about a long-awaited announcement that could even be count as a miracle amongst Final Fantasy community. After years of Final Fantasy VII fans demanding the nearly impossible to happen, they have made the impossible possible – Final Fantasy VII is getting a real remake for the new-generation consoles. We repeat: it’s not a port or a small remaster with old models, but a completely new version of the classic role-playing game which was revealed at Sony’s E3 press briefing. The game is developed in collaboration between Square Enix and Cyberconnect 2 and has been in the works for a while now – about a year and half. Earlier this year, Cyberconnect2 told Famitsu that they are working hard on creating photo-realistic RPG experience with Unreal Engine 4. It’s very likely Final Fantasy VII Remake is running on it too."

Sorry for resurrecting this old post quote but I had a question regarding the clarification of some info: So when you guys originally quoted this statement in the forum and in your announcement article was this the exact original text on the official Square Portal announcement statement? Because the current version of that statement from the Square Portal article seems to have been modified slightly? (or did it come from a different source than Square Portal because the snapshot The WayBack Machine has of the June 16 2015 version of the article was still then not the same as yours)

"Today, we’re finally able to talk about a long-awaited announcement that could even be count as a miracle amongst Final Fantasy community. After years of Final Fantasy VII fans demanding the nearly impossible to happen, they have made the impossible possible – Final Fantasy VII is getting a real remake for the new-generation consoles. We repeat: it’s not a port or a small remaster with old models, but a completely new version of the classic role-playing game which was revealed at Sony’s E3 press briefing. The game is developed in collaboration between Square Enix and Cyberconnect 2 and has been in the works for a while now. Leading the development will be key members from the original project, including producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Tetsuya Nomura and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima."

Just wanted to ask/clarify to make sure the original "about a year and half" statement (about how long the FFVII Remake had already been in development for at the tie of the June 2015 E3 announcement) was not an unsourced factoid and or something I had been imagining.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
^It's been discussed elsewhere and there was some contention about me using that quote because of it.

I pulled that quote from Square Portal the day after the announcement. A week later, people questioned it because Square Portal changed their article. I have no idea why. Following that there was some discussion about there being no proof of anything in said quote (because their article changed and because they themselves are not official).

About 4 months later the Cyberconnect 2 and Unreal Engine 4 bits were officially confirmed. The development period is still technically speculation, but there's enough "evidence" still to suggest it has been in development for a period of 18 months (max) prior to the announcement, including when the original report that it had been greenlit occured (initially as a rumour). The most we can officially say is that development began in 2014, but I refuse now to change the quote because everything else in it turned out to be true. I have absolutely no idea why Square Portal completely changed their article shortly after I quoted it in mine.

EDIT: I expect now that I'm reading the two of them side-by-side that Square Portal removed those due to their speculative nature. What we "knew" at the time was that Cyberconnect 2 had mentioned 18 months before the announcement that they were working on "a world famous RPG being developed in Unreal Engine 4" (this is not an actual quote, but it's something to that effect).

So the timeline of events is as follows:

- Cyberconnect 2 say they're working on a big famous RPG in UE4
- ~18 months later, VII remake is announced at E3
- Square Portal put two and two together
- I post the article
- Square Portal remove their speculation
- TLS moans at me lol
- Cyberconnect 2 and UE4 confirmed officially

Therefore the game has definitely been in development since the original quote from Cyberconnect 2, which is the earliest possible time it could have started. IIRC the quote I'm referencing is one in which Cyberconnect 2 talk about current projects, and they say something like "oh we're working on this thing, and then also this other thing which is a famous RPG in Unreal Engine 4" or something along those lines.

someone do actual research I need to go to bed

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I see no reason to remove it. May be worth adding the updated quote and the reasoning for keeping the old one, though, for archive purposes/a research article at a later date if nothing else.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Hey so we didn't get anything from PSX, but I am 100% sure this confirms we are getting something at Jump.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/jf16/ffvii_remake/

Roughly Translated said:
The legend becomes a reality -
The remake work of "FFVII" which was released in PlayStation® in 1997 and continues to be loved by many fans finally appeared.
At the jump festival site, you can see images of memories drawn with modern specs and reborn battle.

Jump Fiesta is December 17 and 18.

I know it says screenshots, but according to reddit it was a mistranslated and it really means video. However if it ends up just being screenshots, I'm totally fine with it as long as we see something new.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Hey so we didn't get anything from PSX, but I am 100% sure this confirms we are getting something at Jump.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/jf16/ffvii_remake/

Roughly Translated said:
The legend becomes a reality -
The remake work of "FFVII" which was released in PlayStation® in 1997 and continues to be loved by many fans finally appeared.
At the jump festival site, you can see images of memories drawn with modern specs and reborn battle.

Jump Fiesta is December 17 and 18.

I know it says screenshots, but according to reddit it was a mistranslated and it really means video. However if it ends up just being screenshots, I'm totally fine with it as long as we see something new.

Except that's a link for last year's Jump Festa (it says 2016), this year's is 2017.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Yea I'lll change this later, thank you Theo.

Totally jumped the gun. My bad guys.

I'm going to keep my post there for history sake. Totally jumped the gun tho, I'm sorry to everyone especially Lex that I unintentionally trolled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom