• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings, for they are coming back.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I left off at the point you start collecting those special weapons from the tombs. For some reason, XV didn't hold me as much as past FF's have. I used to play a new FF start to finish as soon as I got it, but with XV I just haven't feel gripped enough to do it. I don't really know why. I've also heard it has multiple endings?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I left off at the point you start collecting those special weapons from the tombs. For some reason, XV didn't hold me as much as past FF's have. I used to play a new FF start to finish as soon as I got it, but with XV I just haven't feel gripped enough to do it. I don't really know why. I've also heard it has multiple endings?
That sucks. It has multiple non canon endings. There's only one true ending though. I personally didn't need to watch Kingsglaive or Brotherhood to enjoy the game, but they do make the whole story better. Same as the DLCs.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
BTW, how do you do spoiler tags again?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I liked Kingsglaive, Nyx was great! Too bad you don't get to see or play as him in the actual game, that'd be fun for sure.
I agree! It would've been cool to have him and Glauca in the game, but oh well.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Not keeping the scale consistent with Midgar, though, would seem to detract from the sense of realism they seem to be going for. They even revised the plate height to be more realistic. And just because the distances might be made to be more realistic doesn't mean the lands in between the points we know would have to be empty. New locations - towns, dungeons, etc. - could be added along with narrative points to bring them into the story. For example, instead of just one Mythril Mine, there could be several (many likely being optional areas) in the region with the one from the original being the biggest and busiest - at least until the monsters showed up. And it would solve the issue of the miners living so far away from where they work.

If there are more towns and mines in the area, then that would be more realistic than trying to believe that people traveled halfway across the continent just to go to work every day. Having one of the new settlements be just outside the main mine (the one from the original and the only one leading to Junon) and plagued by monsters would provide both story material and added gameplay in terms of quests, hunts, etc. Also, I hope they'll greatly expand the journey across the marshes and make it much longer and more dangerous, with you having to evade the Zolom as it continually shows up again and again to hound you like X-ATM from FFVIII. And like that boss, you could fight it, but in this case, you would never be able to beat it, just hit it long enough to get a chance to escape. This would make the sight of the dead Zolom at the end of the swamp more frightening and effective and highlight just how much stronger Sephiroth is than your group at that time. Also, I'd like to see the crossing handled in a more realistic way, as there's no way that four humans and a red panther creature could all fit on one chocobo.
They will try to make a consistent scale as much as they can, but it doesnt make sense to expand both in the same way. In one game, Midgar is the only location you would go. Of course it has to be expanded greatly. If they were to give the same treatment to the overworld, then say good bye to Part 2 in this new decade. Realism is very important, but it would be crazy to do that. It's actually something I hope they wont do (they probably wont but just in case lol). I certainly dont wanna spend 10 hours in Kalm Town. That sort of effort should be spent in other stuff like adding other content as you said.

Jairus

I wasn't talking about blowing up every town to Midgar size, I know they won't be. But the distances between locations and the proportions of those places could be done with regards to Midgar's size. If Kalm is say, a tenth the size of Midgar and about a diameter or two of Midgar's distance away from it (like a single day's travel, storywise), then that could work, as an example. Chocobo Farm would still be at least 7 times that distance or so away at that scale, which would give you the feel of actually traversing a continent.

And Pandemonium, there's a button with ... that you can click to do spoilers. Just hit the arrow next to it and pick spoiler from the drop down menu.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Thing is, unless you constantly add interesting stuff in that distance, walking to everywhere would be a sure drag. Not only would that increase the workload (in a way that can be avoided, which is what companies prefer), it's not even a certified way that people wont get bored because of taking so long to get where they want to go. Different transportations types could maybe freshen up, but they could easily lose their interest. A warp system is another thing, but if you are going to make me use the warp system so much, why make a world of that size?

That was the main complaint made a couple years back when the open world mania started. Replicate the assets and it felt like the world was huge, but either the content was repetitive or worse case, there wasnt content at all, and you get a tedious playground that you dont wanna play.

The only way to truly get over that is to make an extremely rich and interesting world, like BotW. You have a warp system, that incentives exploration, but exploring is so fun that warping is only used in certain cases. Going to places becomes fun when everytime you go to a place you find something new and interesting. Not only is that extremely hard and takes a lot of time, is that the kind of game that we want? It's certainly a different prospect than what we had, even if you take technical limitations in context.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I actually really enjoyed 15. While it has it's faults, it's one of my favorites. A lot of people hated the ending, but I loved it.
I'm in the same boat as Jairus; I just couldn't get into it. Too much time spent roaming around, pointless encounters, fetch quests, etc. I worry XII will be similar enough to put me off it.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I played XV all the way through right after it came out, and I never touched it again afterwards. I didn't hate it, I actually had a lot of fun, but I had absolutely no desire to play it again. You know what I mean?

Back on the topic of Remake, I've been wondering what they might do with Yuffie. I doubt she or Vincent will still be optional, so maybe there will be a new subplot revolving around her to fill the void between Kalm and Junon.

Jairus

That could work for Yuffie - you could spot her in Kalm initially and have sightings as you continue to travel. But you never actually meet (and fight) her until almost Junon. Adding in people sharing rumors about her would add to her presence, and her elusiveness could be shown by Cloud and the gang continually just missing her or her keeping a step or two ahead of them. Maybe popping in from time to time but never sticking around long enough to really talk to her or face her until the showdown in the woods outside Junon.

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
I really like how the New Threat PC-mod introduces Yuffie: She's hiding in that one cupboard after Cloud tells the Kalm flashback, steals all your shit, so Cloud and the rest of the Party run after her in the forest. The regular battle ensues and she's recruited that way.

I'm assuming that there's going to initially be some heat between herself and Avalanche since (according to the trailers) they're tying together Shinra's anti-Wutai views. Should be some great character moments in Part 2!

Anyway, I could easily see Remake doing a similar thing to introduce her. For Vincent in New Threat, his room's automatically unlocked so you just have to talk with him en route to the spooky basement labs/library.

Jairus

Well, whatever they do with Vincent and Yuffie, they better keep this line of Cloud's from when the party gets to Costa del Sol:

(to Barret in his sailor suit) "Uh, you look like a bear wearing a marshmallow."

And speaking of the group taking a break in Costa del Sol, sunbathing Tifa and Aerith on the beach, please.
And Jessie through a flashback, erm, hehe...

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
This conversation went a long way before I could get a chance to answer. But I stand by what I said, with the faith in the developers that they can make necessary changes to the story to make each part stand alone just fine.

Reactions: LNK

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I wasn't talking about blowing up every town to Midgar size, I know they won't be. But the distances between locations and the proportions of those places could be done with regards to Midgar's size. If Kalm is say, a tenth the size of Midgar and about a diameter or two of Midgar's distance away from it (like a single day's travel, storywise), then that could work, as an example.

Even the original game used zoning-of-a-sort and forced perspective on Kalm to make it feel larger than the area accessible. I'm kind of expecting them to do this for the remake, giving us an explorable section approximately the size of Lestallum in FFXV, followed by a similar trick for Junon with explorable sections comparable to Altissia.

Actually, Altissia could even be analyzed by the development team as a prototype of sorts for what they need to do with Junon: Both are seaside towns that can't feasibly be rendered for exploration in their entirety, with different areas connected by transports (gondolas in one case; elevators and lifts in the other).

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Much of this will likely be dependent on whether or not the next game is a next-gen title or a PS4 game. Personally, I'd hope for a next-generation game for the final entry, wherein you'd have the Highwind and could more adequately explore the world. That being said, it's really not out of the question to pack in a larger world for the next part. Even on a PS4. It's not nearly as limited as some are making it out to be.

Kalm could be it's own little area. The stretch from Kalm to the Mythril mines would just be a large area, and the mines again their own area. Open space is something modern games have more or less mastered. From The Witcher III to Breath of the Wild to Red Dead Redemption 2. Another two blurays of data for a large, mostly open world.

Back on the topic of Remake, I've been wondering what they might do with Yuffie. I doubt she or Vincent will still be optional, so maybe there will be a new subplot revolving around her to fill the void between Kalm and Junon.

They mentioned something about options being part of the reason for this first part's size, so there's no real reason to rule out Yuffie and/or Vincent remaining optional in the Remake. That being said, I love your idea of including Yuffie in the main game like that. Especially if they find a really organic way to do so.

I'm assuming that there's going to initially be some heat between herself and Avalanche since (according to the trailers) they're tying together Shinra's anti-Wutai views. Should be some great character moments in Part 2!

Anyway, I could easily see Remake doing a similar thing to introduce her. .

And this is exactly that! They've already now baked-in a reason for the group to both clash and ally with Yuffie right there!

And speaking of the group taking a break in Costa del Sol, sunbathing Tifa and Aerith on the beach, please.

I'm all for changing outfits. Even if they're DLC.

...and especially if they're bathing suits.

Top Bottom