SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
I was always under the impression that Cloud revealing that his motivation to keep going and to strive to be a hero for Tifa was part of the plot-twist. It would have been pretty lame plot twist if you were able to see it coming from a mile away.
What i mostly meant was the fact that the 2 didn't really have many real moments of build up towards the scenes we do get later, which is pretty much fixed with the remake trilogy now. People were already very much invested in the idea of Cloud and Aerith, so they didn't really change their views with the sudden truths that surfaced with Cloud about Tifa.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
This is why I hate it when people undermine the romantic aspect or somehow dismiss me when I say that I would no longer be a fan of FFVII if Clerith became canon. They act like that is simply a petty thing.
I gotta say, if FF7 is about your loved ones dying and that it’s okay to wait to be reunited with them in death and not live your life to the fullest then I think I actually hate FF7 for having such a toxic message.
I share this sentiment so much. Clouds entire character changes to a man of dubious loyalties who doesn't deserve either women.

It also wouldn't line up with the games' religious ties. What with the Sefirot and Tifaret or something along those lines.

and all this in a game targeted towards teenagers, aka young impressionable people. I know it's a bit ironic for me to speak about my own age group that way, but still, takes one to know one I guess.
What i mostly meant was the fact that the 2 didn't really have many real moments of build up towards the scenes we do get later, which is pretty much fixed with the remake trilogy now. People were already very much invested in the idea of Cloud and Aerith, so they didn't really change their views with the sudden truths that surfaced with Cloud about Tifa.
Again, now that new players who weren't previously in the know are being shown Cloti scenes left right and centre, it will no longer be a shocking plot twist for anyone, it will just be a development like any other. It's not necessarily a bad thing and the primary issue resolved during the lifestream sequence will still sort of be surprising for most ( the "why" won't be though)

but yeah I get what you're saying, People were so invested in Cloud and Aerith that they weren't (and aren't) willing to disregard those feelings in favour of a plot twist that makes them feel kind of betrayed.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The Cloti kiss being "fanservice" wasn't done out of pity for Clotis, it's there to display that Cloud loves Tifa and vice versa, aka a huge hint to where this story is going.
Now, I'm someone who never really put too much into those dates tbh. I saw them as fanservice in the OG (although I will tell you that the CT one was the romantic one out of the 4), and I don't put too much thoughts in Rebirth. To me they're a bit outside of the main storyline, but the relationship that is shown in each date is true to the relationships Cloud forms with his companions. And there's only one that has a kiss, which, in itself, is very telling of how the devs have corrected the OG.

Because, had only the Clerith scenes happened. Then it would be 8 years before Cloti happened and most people would just think it happened randomly. More so just out the the length of time… with an actual kiss, that’s very memorable so now when it happens in Part 3 most people will have expected it.
I think some people know here but I have a big beef with the OG in that the game pushes you to think Aerith is the love interest only to pull the rug on you and go "joke, it's Tifa". But by the time you get there, you don't understand why she stays in Mideel with Cloud (personally on my first run I was pissed to lose my best character, plus I had a bit of a reaction "come on Tifa you can do so much better than that loser" since I hated Cloud). When the LS sequence happened, I was like "oh so that's how it went, he really loves her" but a lot of people were sold CA way too much and thought that it was only in the past, it didn't apply to the present, which is why they didn't get the Lifestream scene either.

Since Remake though, I was satisfied because I saw right from there that the devs were out to develop CT as they should've been in the OG. So I was never in doubt, so to speak. Rebirth proved me that they were exactly on that same tune and the kiss, even if "fanservicy" was there to show that Cloud Strife had only a romantic interest in one girl, even when the other is still alive. I thought it was brilliant because a kiss, that's what fans will remember, what gaming journalists will be talking about (Cloud Strife kissing his love interest after 27 years!!! That's BIG!!!) and it sets up expectations for p3. And TBH I thought that after the hug in p1, we should normally get a kiss in p2, but I was like "but it's way too early, how odd" - yet my intuition was right lol.

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I have some sympathy for fans of a ship who perceived the work to fully support the canonicity of their ship, but then had that taken away. That doesn't excuse poor behavior, of course, but it's generally easier to be a fan of something that has textual and/or popular support.

Ideally you can enjoy a ship without lording its canonicity over others and I do sometimes find the Twitter fandom can get a bit snippy in that regard, but alas. (Weirdly, this behavior goes both ways lol.)

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I find it hard to believe that the kiss is fan service. Each of those scenes feel carefully made to be meaningful.

They really didn’t even need the kiss. The kiss is awesome but the fact that Cloud reassures Tifa of her feelings is even better. In Aerith’s date she is asking to find Cloud to be closer to him, meanwhile Tifa says they are the closest they ever been to which he agrees.

C’mon.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think the whole affinity system is the fanservice lol that’s why they consider it as not really part of the main story. Whoever you pick you get a special scene that’s within canon relationship-wise, but that doesn’t necessarily means it happened. It’s specifically targeted at the fans, to please them. And they knew they had to deliver a kiss for CT, that fans wanted to see it, so they worked so it would be seen as something that would still feel like a payoff imho.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
That’s why I’m hoping the fact that Nojima thinks it’s clunky when it comes to the storytelling means they’ll nuke it next game.

It’d just be so…I don’t know, not disappointing but I’d have to wonder why I need affection points if UTH is in the next part. Like the world might end tomorrow but Cloud is like anyway let’s go to sleep girl who stuck beside me and saved me.

It’s hard to imagine that after all their huge moments in the next part. Like how heart wrenching it will be to see Cloud basically plead with Tifa for reassurance that he is who he is. Then the part where Tifa breaks down when she sees Coma Cloud. It’d be like getting to the top of the roller coaster and it never drops.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
That’s why I’m hoping the fact that Nojima thinks it’s clunky when it comes to the storytelling means they’ll nuke it next game.

It’d just be so…I don’t know, not disappointing but I’d have to wonder why I need affection points if UTH is in the next part. Like the world might end tomorrow but Cloud is like anyway let’s go to sleep girl who stuck beside me and saved me.

It’s hard to imagine that after all their huge moments in the next part. Like how heart wrenching it will be to see Cloud basically plead with Tifa for reassurance that he is who he is. Then the part where Tifa breaks down when she sees Coma Cloud. It’d be like getting to the top of the roller coaster and it never drops.
I deeply believe that in their heart of hearts Cleriths are begging for part 3 to have an affection system, while Clotis vocally hope it won't. That really tells you what you need to know XD

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Imagine if you believe this lore almost 27 years then all compilation goes against you and still you believe otherwise ~ seeing it in 4K is different ballgame they will believe otherwise its easy to know if their winging it ~

They're easily triggered when an article goes against them like Aerith dying or ZA reunion or Cloti moments
Imagine believing "It doesnt matter if Aerith has to make moves all the time Cloud will receiprocate them anyway "

- this is why nojima said it will burden Aerith more if they got together because SHE HAVE TO MAKE MOVE ALL THE TIME.. just like in rebirth
the vibes of Aerith and her energy can only be paired by Zack himself the true person whom gave her all these hopes anywayz

There is no getting off this train we on, and this train ain't changing tracks.

DEFINITELY~ NOO CHANGING TRACKS i KNOW SE IS PLANNING SOMETHING BIG IN PART 3 FOR CLOTI

edit: @Ryushikaze btw that's kimi to doke OMG

I think the whole affinity system is the fanservice lol that’s why they consider it as not really part of the main story.
that's why devs are concern of it cuz it might affect how we see characters itself and plot line they wanna say

Last edited:

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
I think the whole affinity system is the fanservice lol that’s why they consider it as not really part of the main story. Whoever you pick you get a special scene that’s within canon relationship-wise, but that doesn’t necessarily means it happened. It’s specifically targeted at the fans, to please them. And they knew they had to deliver a kiss for CT, that fans wanted to see it, so they worked so it would be seen as something that would still feel like a payoff imho.
Referring to Nojima’s quote in the Rebirth Ultimania about “having reservations of an affection system,” I felt like his quote directly supports what he has been saying since the beginning of the Remake Trilogy—That he wants the FF7 story to be “less open for interpretation.”—since having multiple date options would be counterintuitive to the idea of having a singular established timeline of events.

That being said, I feel like some people are using his quote in the Rebirth Ultimania out of context as proof that the CT kiss is “non-canon” which is just inherently a weak argument since, as @Eerie puts it, it is still canon relationship-wise.

In addition, that quote also highlights how much of a big deal the CT kiss actually is! I mean, Nojima and Toriyama were worried that date outcomes might not match the story line and they still went, “Nah, Cloud kissing Tifa and no one else is pretty much where the story is heading.”

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
@Ryu: I know a phone could handle it, screen real estate and fat fingering of everything are the main obstacles. Which sucks, I never did fix your ninja scarf properly.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
I think some people know here but I have a big beef with the OG in that the game pushes you to think Aerith is the love interest only to pull the rug on you and go "joke, it's Tifa". But by the time you get there, you don't understand why she stays in Mideel with Cloud (personally on my first run I was pissed to lose my best character, plus I had a bit of a reaction "come on Tifa you can do so much better than that loser" since I hated Cloud). When the LS sequence happened, I was like "oh so that's how it went, he really loves her" but a lot of people were sold CA way too much and thought that it was only in the past, it didn't apply to the present, which is why they didn't get the Lifestream scene either.

Since Remake though, I was satisfied because I saw right from there that the devs were out to develop CT as they should've been in the OG. So I was never in doubt, so to speak. Rebirth proved me that they were exactly on that same tune and the kiss, even if "fanservicy" was there to show that Cloud Strife had only a romantic interest in one girl, even when the other is still alive. I thought it was brilliant because a kiss, that's what fans will remember, what gaming journalists will be talking about (Cloud Strife kissing his love interest after 27 years!!! That's BIG!!!) and it sets up expectations for p3. And TBH I thought that after the hug in p1, we should normally get a kiss in p2, but I was like "but it's way too early, how odd" - yet my intuition was right lol.
Yeah this is what i was getting at earlier. There just wasn't a proper buildup in OG towards it, so people who were already fully invested in Clerith got whiplashed and just weren't cool with the shift.

I very much would rather get the buildup we are getting now with the remake games, over it being some kinda surprise twist with no proper build up. It's gonna feel so much more rewarding this time.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
They're easily triggered when an article goes against them like Aerith dying
This is also so weird, couse weren't they totally fine with the idea that Aerith was dead before with OG and they were totally into that idea of Cloud reuniting with her in death? And now it somehow isn't a viable option for them? Man they just can't stick to what they want out of their ship.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
This is also so weird, couse weren't they totally fine with the idea that Aerith was dead before with OG and they were totally into that idea of Cloud reuniting with her in death? And now it somehow isn't a viable option for them? Man they just can't stick to what they want out of their ship.
it show that when they said 'they're together in soul-fushion kinda thing.." and they're satisfied with ending or Cloud looking for promise land that's never there.. you'll know they're winging it ~ of course they're not satisfied how can they accept the ending when CT is livin together and possible romance there and crisis core created to know C/A moments are copied.

If a fan said they wanted to change story than original plot it means you're not happy with ending soo even now in 4K seeing it unfolds with CT dont need to be hidden anymore its easy to trigger them.

@Hellenic You're right we know we're going this way right? why this bitterness? Because they're not happy with original and of course not happy with course of the story.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Usually the primary argument I see people using, is that it's just fanservice, that Cloud and Tifas' date is the only one that isn't reflective of Clouds relationship with said character.

and that even if Cloud and Tifa had sex, that it isn't necessarily romantic. (still can't believe this one)

But like you've said, imagine the uproar from their side if these elements of the LTD were on their side. I saw a ton of people theorizing about how Cloud and Aeriths first kiss was going to go, nothing on interlocked fingers. But suddenly that's all they've ever wanted since that's more romantic.

"What are you talking about, those don't exist, they're confirming feelings of mutual friendship and support, that's why Square Enix felt the need to include it on the page titled "For the one I love".

and also why Cloud claimed straight after the events of ff7, that now he had Tifa with him in a way that he didn't before, because they're just such close friends, such close friends that the main scenario writer for the compilation claims they belong together, isn't that so nice?

and also why they decided to foster and adopt a child, they're just such selfless roommates!

I mean, the writing's on the wall, Cloud abandoned Tifa in favour of Aerith, it had nothing to do with him relapsing and facing a terminal illness when his biggest fear is failing people, and forget Zack, he played no role in Clouds' emotions during advent children, it was all him yearning for Aerith."

Some of the stuff you see online these days.........
It's honestly not that different from how it was over a decade ago.

I was always under the impression that Cloud revealing that his motivation to keep going and to strive to be a hero for Tifa was part of the plot-twist. It would have been pretty lame plot twist if you were able to see it coming from a mile away.
It is part of the twist, but all good twists have hints ahead of time.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions and or confirmation bias happening in regards to the ultimania.

I think the quote is from Nojima who said that some paths you can take are outside the narrative (or something along those lines).

Cleriths instantly see this and go "Look! They said not every option is valid to the story! Cloti kiss is fanservice!"

and they would be right, had they not approached the topic in such bad faith.

Obviously, Cloud and Tifa aren't supposed to know they love each other yet, that's supposed to be a payoff in part 3 for their struggles together. They are only supposed to be aware of each others' feelings after the Lifestream sequence/Highwind scene.

On that same note, that's the reason why I will never attempt to argue that Tifas' High affection date at the gold saucer was the one that "happened", because honestly, I don't want it to have been, I think that it should be saved for part 3 because it's much more special and meaningful there than while Cloud is still mentally unstable and lying to himself.

The Cloti kiss being "fanservice" wasn't done out of pity for Clotis, it's there to display that Cloud loves Tifa and vice versa, aka a huge hint to where this story is going.

Bit of a long post, so sorry about that.
It's not fanservice so much as foreshadowing the actual unavoidable payoffs in the Lifestream and Highwind etc.

No no, no one ever kisses in Japan, that's why my favorite Romance manga doesn't have a kiss between the main character and the girl in chapter freaking 1.....oh wait, it does.
View attachment 15724

Ironically, it's with the new cute manic pink girl that he just met even though he's in love with his "childhood best friend" XD
What's that one called?

This is why I hate it when people undermine the romantic aspect or somehow dismiss me when I say that I would no longer be a fan of FFVII if Clerith became canon. They act like that is simply a petty thing.

But it is correct to say that your love of a story depends on the quality of the story and isn't blind, and its a simple fact that depending on who Cloud loves, you are looking at a COMPLETELY different story. And yes, that can totally and reasonably be said to be the tipping point between the themes and motivations creating an amazing one, or snowballing into an absolutely awful one.

To me the difference between Cloti and Clerith really is the difference between a 11/11, one of the best stories and romances ever told. And a 2/10 poorly written mess that makes even most fan-fics look amazing by comparison.
To make Clerith endgame and have FF7 still work requires a massive rewrite of the entire game, to the point where Aerith has to not die and someone else dies. At that point though you're throwing out so much of FF7 you might as well start again with an entirely new gruff soldier type and a spunky energetic girl who enters his life and sweeps him off his- oh, wait, they did that. It's called Final Fantasy 8. Clerith just want FF8 but with Rinoa in pink with a bow.

I see it as an equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome sort of thing. We can create a space where all sides are equally encouraged to share their ideas, but the entire point is that a fair equal PRODUCTIVE discussion is likely to lead to an outcome. That has happened here, there was a fair discussion and as a result Cloti was pretty consistently "winning" the arguments until there was mostly a consensus, and now when a new person comes in they're likely to produce arguments that have already been heard and addressed, and they are then quickly "corrected" as it were.
But that's how it should be, we can't guarantee an equality of outcome without forcefully limiting peoples ability to discus the LTD, which is exactly the thing we're trying to rise above. And yes, that makes it less enticing for Cleriths to come here, skewing it even further, but lets call a spade a spade, if you're unwilling to come here because you do not think your arguments can stand up to the challenge, then that's a you problem. The reason this place is an "echo chamber" is because apparently Cleriths aren't intellectually honest enough to visit a place where their ideas are judged on their merits. This place still doesn't shout people down, it's not that here you'll just run into a host of Clotis shouting nonsense to drown out your arguments in mutually reinforcing noise. No, what you get is merely the sort of arguments you would get if you left your own echo chamber. There are many Clotis here, but all their arguments will be respectful and on point similar to if you were to discuss with one of them one on one. It is essentially just the ultimate test of your viewpoint.
I want to hone my viewpoint even against other people who nominally agree with me, so that we may through debate, perform synthesis and form an even stronger, well reasoned viewpoint and argument.
If a "cloti" is factually incorrect about something, I will call it out. No one gets special treatment.

Imagine if you believe this lore almost 27 years then all compilation goes against you and still you believe otherwise ~ seeing it in 4K is different ballgame they will believe otherwise its easy to know if their winging it ~

They're easily triggered when an article goes against them like Aerith dying or ZA reunion or Cloti moments
Imagine believing "It doesnt matter if Aerith has to make moves all the time Cloud will receiprocate them anyway "

- this is why nojima said it will burden Aerith more if they got together because SHE HAVE TO MAKE MOVE ALL THE TIME.. just like in rebirth
the vibes of Aerith and her energy can only be paired by Zack himself the true person whom gave her all these hopes anywayz
Having watched NPTK so many times now, it's amazing how much people want to deny that it's about Zack at all, because there's so much in the wording and imagery that is explicitly about her and Zack's relationship.

DEFINITELY~ NOO CHANGING TRACKS i KNOW SE IS PLANNING SOMETHING BIG IN PART 3 FOR CLOTI
Hard to imagine how they could make thinger bigger. More explicit, perhaps.

edit: @Ryushikaze btw that's kimi to doke OMG
Kimi ni Todoke, yes. I thought it had an amusing symmetry with the LTD, including how Sawako winds up best friends with her love rival in the end. It's also got some good examples for relationship tropes we also see played out in 7 and Retrilogy.

@Ryu: I know a phone could handle it, screen real estate and fat fingering of everything are the main obstacles. Which sucks, I never did fix your ninja scarf properly.
No worries, man.

Yeah this is what i was getting at earlier. There just wasn't a proper buildup in OG towards it, so people who were already fully invested in Clerith got whiplashed and just weren't cool with the shift.

I very much would rather get the buildup we are getting now with the remake games, over it being some kinda surprise twist with no proper build up. It's gonna feel so much more rewarding this time.
I think there was a buildup, it was just far subtler than the buildup we've been getting with the more decompressed narrration of the Retrilogy.

Having watched NPTK so many times now, I think it makes the most narrative sense for Aerith not to be Rosa during the play - setting aside the skywheel ride for now - both because it allows her getting on stage to sing to be a complete shock, her being on digital stage for the song and then also the sung finale actually feels like it... detracts from the song? And the song is unquestionably hers? But also it makes sense for her to be supported by as many of her friends as possible and that means either Tifa or Yuffie being up there with her. The staging also makes the most sense with a second person on Cloud's side, as the camera framing is literally uneven without someone else there, and Cloud also bows and presents someone else, even if Aerith was Rosa.

Does that make sense to other people? You want as many people with Aerith as possible for her big moment and her big moment is the song not the play, E.G. one of her friends and not her plays Rosa.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
It's honestly not that different from how it was over a decade ago.

It's genuinely a lot of the same crap. Like, word for word almost. Someone needs to buy a few of the truly diehard pink hellish types a thesaurus.

It is part of the twist, but all good twists have hints ahead of time.

From a writing perspective, this needs to be stressed. A perfectly executed twist should illicit one of two responses from the consumer. They should either feel vindicated because they called it in advance thanks to the hints and foreshadowing, or they should feel compelled to look back on the story pre-twist with hindsight and see those hints for what they are. It's gloriously satisfying either way.

To make Clerith endgame and have FF7 still work requires a massive rewrite of the entire game, to the point where Aerith has to not die and someone else dies. At that point though you're throwing out so much of FF7 you might as well start again with an entirely new gruff soldier type and a spunky energetic girl who enters his life and sweeps him off his- oh, wait, they did that. It's called Final Fantasy 8. Clerith just want FF8 but with Rinoa in pink with a bow.

While entirely true, it'd be more fun to have Squall the one suddenly in pink. If only to watch him seethe inside. Sorry to say I can't stand the guy, he's like Cloud's fake persona come to life, without the adorable dork hidden inside.

I want to hone my viewpoint even against other people who nominally agree with me, so that we may through debate, perform synthesis and form an even stronger, well reasoned viewpoint and argument.

For the benefit of the new folks I've seen signing up, let me say that this man means what he says here. It may be hard to see in the results in mere text, but if someone were willing to play devil's advocate and make a genuine effort to debate Clerith as a position, you will find Ryu delighted and ready to go.

No worries, man.

None to be had :monster: I still may just pick it back up someday, it was an enjoyable little hobby and having my edits in so many sigs was a proud thing for me. Yours was just quite challenging for a relative beginner, which of course was instructive. I contend that the Sentai lineup I came up with for the team was gold, even if the ridiculous Shinobi scarf you requested still looked like it was made from Lego bricks.

I think there was a buildup, it was just far subtler than the buildup we've been getting with the more decompressed narrration of the Retrilogy.

This. I felt the buildup in OG FF7, though it pales when compared to what they've found soace fir in the RE format.

Having watched NPTK so many times now, I think it makes the most narrative sense for Aerith not to be Rosa during the play - setting aside the skywheel ride for now - both because it allows her getting on stage to sing to be a complete shock, her being on digital stage for the song and then also the sung finale actually feels like it... detracts from the song? And the song is unquestionably hers? But also it makes sense for her to be supported by as many of her friends as possible and that means either Tifa or Yuffie being up there with her. The staging also makes the most sense with a second person on Cloud's side, as the camera framing is literally uneven without someone else there, and Cloud also bows and presents someone else, even if Aerith was Rosa.

Does that make sense to other people? You want as many people with Aerith as possible for her big moment and her big moment is the song not the play, E.G. one of her friends and not her plays Rosa.

Your logic is sound to me on this one. In light of NPTK being a song for everyone Aerith loves, the more loved ones you can pack into the scene the better.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I feel like it’s hard for me to analyze NPTK because I have a Tifa bias. Watching all the dates, their Jesse interaction is more touching, and it’s sweet how she encourages Aerith. (Plus Cloud only pulling her in for the spin is an extra bonus for my bias)

I do agree with what you’re saying, it looks strange if Tifa or Yuffie are not Rosa because there’s just a big empty spot at the end. No offense to Yuffie, but Tifa has a more fleshed out relationship with *Aerith, going through all they went through in Midgar and what not. So…again, in my extremely biased, not saying anything about canon, and personal opinion… it makes sense for Aerith to be singing as Tifa is Rosa.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I feel like it’s hard for me to analyze NPTK because I have a Tifa bias. Watching all the dates, their Jesse interaction is more touching, and it’s sweet how she encourages Aerith. (Plus Cloud only pulling her in for the spin is an extra bonus for my bias)

I do agree with what you’re saying, it looks strange if Tifa or Yuffie are not Rosa because there’s just a big empty spot at the end. No offense to Yuffie, but Tifa has a more fleshed out relationship with *Aerith, going through all they went through in Midgar and what not. So…again, in my extremely biased, not saying anything about canon, and personal opinion… it makes sense for Aerith to be singing as Tifa is Rosa.
I agree that makes the most sense, but I want it said that it's not wrong for Yuffie to be the one supporting her, just that there are many more reasons why Tifa is the narratively more coherent choice to stand with Aerith as she takes a bow, not the least of which being their conversation about Zack just before the Chapter 12 date sequence begins is what leads Aerith to begin writing NPTK about her lost and/or distant loved ones.

It's genuinely a lot of the same crap. Like, word for word almost. Someone needs to buy a few of the truly diehard pink hellish types a thesaurus.
I wonder if some are just quoting from a script, specifically Blankbeat's. I also wonder how many of them are Blankbeat.

From a writing perspective, this needs to be stressed. A perfectly executed twist should illicit one of two responses from the consumer. They should either feel vindicated because they called it in advance thanks to the hints and foreshadowing, or they should feel compelled to look back on the story pre-twist with hindsight and see those hints for what they are. It's gloriously satisfying either way.
Yeah, a twist should make you feel clever for seeing the clues or furious at yourself for missing them. If you get a twist and there was no foreshadowing, that's a rug pull and it's a bad move.

While entirely true, it'd be more fun to have Squall the one suddenly in pink. If only to watch him seethe inside. Sorry to say I can't stand the guy, he's like Cloud's fake persona come to life, without the adorable dork hidden inside.
He definitely comes across very poorly in 8 in ways he doesn't in any other media he's appeared in. I'm curious what an 8 Remake might do for the poor blighted soul.

For the benefit of the new folks I've seen signing up, let me say that this man means what he says here. It may be hard to see in the results in mere text, but if someone were willing to play devil's advocate and make a genuine effort to debate Clerith as a position, you will find Ryu delighted and ready to go.
Just, you know, actually support the position, don't just assume the consequent and go from there. Gets my dander up.

None to be had :monster: I still may just pick it back up someday, it was an enjoyable little hobby and having my edits in so many sigs was a proud thing for me. Yours was just quite challenging for a relative beginner, which of course was instructive. I contend that the Sentai lineup I came up with for the team was gold, even if the ridiculous Shinobi scarf you requested still looked like it was made from Lego bricks.
I suppose with a little bit of color shading iwonders could be done, but there are limits to working in a set resolution.

This. I felt the buildup in OG FF7, though it pales when compared to what they've found soace fir in the RE format.
Having up to 300 hours to tell the story in (including an assumption about the length of pt 3) is doing wonders for actually showing the narrative, I tell you. Like how some movies shouldn't have ever been movies, but TV series instead (Last Jedi, natch)

Your logic is sound to me on this one. In light of NPTK being a song for everyone Aerith loves, the more loved ones you can pack into the scene the better.
Exactly.

Last edited:

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
I agree that makes the most sense, but I want it said that it's not wrong for Yuffie to be the one supporting her, just that there are many more reasons why Tifa is the narratively more coherent choice to stand with Aerith as she takes a bow, not the least of which being their conversation about Zack just before the Chapter 12 date sequence begins is what leads Aerith to begin writing NPTK about her lost and/or distant loved ones.

Even with her much later introduction, Yuffie is adorably friendly and outgoing enough to bond with quickly. Unlike slotting Aerith into Tifa's role in the main narrative, which requires a full rewrite, Yuffie as Rosa still works fine. It just works better with Tifa.

I wonder if some are just quoting from a script, specifically Blankbeat's. I also wonder how many of them are Blankbeat.

I do recall her being the type to make dupes just to agree with herself. As if appeal to the masses isn't bad enough, appeal to the masses of oneself right?

In all seriousness I miss BB. Some of the most savage comebacks I've ever witnessed were aimed her way, and she always had them coming.

She was absolutely useless for a real, respectful debate though. Good for hilarious shit posts, awful for making genuine arguments to contrast your own beliefs and adjust your position accordingly.

Yeah, a twist should make you feel clever for seeing the clues or furious at yourself for missing them. If you get a twist and there was no foreshadowing, that's a rug pull and it's a bad move.

Exactly. It can be a fine line to walk, you don't want to telegraph the twist entirely or pull the rug. But my is it exhilarating when you read or write that tightrope walk.

He definitely comes across very poorly in 8 in ways he doesn't in any other media he's appeared in. I'm curious what an 8 Remake might do for the poor blighted soul.

Could be interesting. I should probably set aside my antipathy for Squall and reexamine him from my more aged position. I might hate him less these days, especially outside his original appearance. Anything's possible.

Just, you know, actually support the position, don't just assume the consequent and go from there. Gets my dander up.

Which is usually worth a laugh for us bystanders. But in fairness, I used the phrasing "genuinely debate this position" which should imply actual support. Though as you and I always agreed, a vague disclaimer is no one's friend, so clarifying explicitly here is certainly not a bad thing.

I suppose with a little bit of color shading iwonders could be done, but there are limits to working in a set resolution.

Rules Set resolutions do not exist to limit us, they exist that we might know our freedoms :awesomonster: But in seriousness, I was making visible progress with my shading way back. Limitations can in fact feel freeing when practicing this sort of thing, they help you reign yourself in a bit.

Having up to 300 hours to tell the story in (including an assumption about the length of pt 3) is doing wonders for actually showing the narrative, I tell you. Like how some movies shouldn't have ever been movies, but TV series instead (Last Jedi, natch)

Its such a thing these days, films that should be tv series exist side by side with TV series that would thrive for me if trimmed down into a film or two. Between pacing and bloat, this shit seems hard.

:monster:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I do recall her being the type to make dupes just to agree with herself. As if appeal to the masses isn't bad enough, appeal to the masses of oneself right?
I’m sorry I just find this so funny. WHAT?

Ah man, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the fact that FF7 has such a passionate LTD.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I’m sorry I just find this so funny. WHAT?

Ah man, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the fact that FF7 has such a passionate LTD.
It’s why I think that if this is supposed to be the finale of FF7 with “resolved feelings” as Kitase put then I think they really do need to end it for good.

I think it would be a huge disservice to allow the LTD to rage on forever, and I think they are aware of how bad it’s gotten that I’m sure they want it to be over too. Even if “it sells”.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Man.... I can't keep up with this thread anymore. I think I missed 50 pages already.
And I'm tired discussing Gold Saucer's date. I even had lowered my expectation before the game is out to think Cloud will get kissed from all the girls YAY FANSERVICE~; turning out it's only one date but it's not the girl who give him kiss---it's him who give her kiss! So, when the devs reveal none of the date is canon, I thought it's over lol. But of course Cleriths will keep fueling by saying only their date is canon.

Actually, I'm a bit disappointed that I expected Nojima will explain about the Clerith "dream" date in Ultimania interview section, I dont wanna claim that it's her recreating her date with Zack although I wish it's true. I need a confirmation first.

I dont think Zack is the person who would blame him for things he wasnt able to fulfill~
I want that as Cloud's illusion, just as how creepy Aerith is in his illusion. Nojima even said in AC The Reunion Files book that he wanted Zack to appear in the grave and get angry at Cloud being depressed.

In Dissidia Omnia Opera also when he fought Sephiroth there he said there "You're not a monster you're one of us"
Sephiroth is not Sasuke whom Naruto tried so hard to bring him return home lol.
If only Zack hugged Sephiroth in the basement, or at least stay with him with those sentences, Nibelheim incident wouldn't happen.... but hey, then FFVII wouldn't happen too.

Top Bottom